• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game. I 100% all storylines except the hordes. Honestly really enjoyed it like 90% of the time. The performance is absolute trash in the back half of the game and textures stopped loading many times. Had to restart to fix performance issues like 10 times. The progression is really great, and the story is well done with some exceptions.

I have a question about a very late game mission. Something felt off about it, like it skipped a cutscene or something, and I was wondering if I missed something (and what).

There's a mission in the 4th/5th camp where you have to rescue a hostage from an anarchist camp inside a cave. I went into the cave, killed all 14 anarchists and found the hostage, but when I went up to him and pressed and held triangle to free him, there seemed to be some sort of split second animation glitch and suddenly he got up, ran away, and all of a sudden my mission was updated to "Escape from the cave". Out of nowhere a freaker horde is coming and I'm scrambling to get out. It felt odd because the hostage and Deacon never spoke to each other and I have no idea why there was a horde all of a sudden. Did I miss a cutscene or was the mission supposed to play out this way?

There's just a horde right near the end of that mission that fucks with shit. I actually had the game softlock there when I talked to him and the camera came in like he was going to say his shit then he never did and I just got stuck standing there. He just says some bullshit about thanks for saving me.

Oct 30, 2017
Open this up ONLY if you had finished the game:

Make sure to keep playing after the credits rolls, there are four story cutscenes that you need to watch, to unlock them just keep playing and do some side missions and camps traveling.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see the complaints about performance completely shitting the bed in the final 3rd at Crater Lake.

What a shame. I absolutely adore this game and wish the performance wasn't holding it back so much from being truly one of the best of the gen.

Maybe it'll get an incredible upgrade when played on PS5.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
This is a really good game. Think it could do with being trimmed a bit but still really good.

I kind of get the repetitive complaints but I don't think it's any worse then other open world games.

Also I personally would just take out the fuel mechanic all together as it's just a pain in the ass.
Yup agree.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Yes, the fuel thing was so fucking annoying. Also those instances where you drive into wire, engine wrecked and 6 annoying goons to kill then better hope you have scrap. Ugh
Yes, even driving through water on a chase has put me out of the pursuit. I'm repairing and then it says you are too far from the target. Very annoying.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, game has taken a nosedive from camp 3 to camp 4 for me. Way more repetitive, and I'm just not buying the central relationship at camp 4 at all. Doesn't feel remotely plausible.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
image0.jpg

Zzzzz. Getting these is so tedious. I won't even have enough of the historical markers left to even make a dent in this. I guess I'll have to go around and use a guide or something. I wish all of the collectibles would just pop up on the map.

Burnout apocalypse can fuck off. This shit refuses to pop.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Doing a side mission for lost lake, have to go to Sherman's camp to rescue some dude. I arrive, I'm following his trail, he's been kidnapped by drifters - and then I hear the horde music so I get on a roof just in case and then the horde is there below me going mental around the town, charging about; turns out they're killing all the drifters for me. Then I just waltz in and rescue the guy with no fighting.

Them I took on the horde, that was a fun one, scrambling around in Sherman's camp avoiding a ton of freakers.

Just about to head south, I assume I can get back to the northern regions at some stage after I'm locked out?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This game falls off a cliff at the forth camp. The pacing basically feels like you've started again and then on top of that they introduce the birds which are ridiculously annoying. Let's not even mention how terrible the performance is, can't imagine how stuttery it is in the base PS4.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
This game falls off a cliff at the forth camp. The pacing basically feels like you've started again and then on top of that they introduce the birds which are ridiculously annoying. Let's not even mention how terrible the performance is, can't imagine how stuttery it is in the base PS4.

Agree on all counts. It gets better as it goes, but what a letdown after Iron Mike's.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
image0.jpg

Zzzzz. Getting these is so tedious. I won't even have enough of the historical markers left to even make a dent in this. I guess I'll have to go around and use a guide or something. I wish all of the collectibles would just pop up on the map.

Burnout apocalypse can fuck off. This shit refuses to pop.

Didn't even saw the collectible trophy until now. I just got it while playing normal.

Are you serious? The birds? You roll when they scream and then you enter focus to throw a molotov/shoot a fire arrow at their nests. And there really are only a few of them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finished everything. Overall it's a good game bordering on great here and there but overall i feel like it's initial reception from reviewrs was crushed under the expectations of being a Sony exclusive.

Random thoughts:

The overall pacing is just outright bad. The story doesn't really get any teeth to it until you get to iron mikes and even then it still takes a while after getting there before the stakes start to get raised. The first two camps just felt like overwrought tutorials. Then any momentum the game had upon going south just gets sucked out of the air with all the army stuff. Additionally, i didn't like how heavily the game leans on Deek looking for Sarah in the early game. It's given too much emphasis to the point that it kills the reveal of her being alive because it's too obvious.

Lisa's story arc and her subsequent relationship with deek is probably the best sense of character development in the entire game. So many of the relationships in the game feel inconsequential. Like, i get that him and boozer are 'brothers' but it seems like i only ever know that because the game said so more so than the game ever really showing me. This makes all the emotional touchstones in the game fall flat. Like when he gives Boozer his cut so he could go look for sarah.

The way the game handles freakers in general is a little underdeveloped. The freakers are never really the focal point of the game. From a gameplay perspective it's like Dead Rising in that way; They're generally there more as a hinderance rather than a thing for you to engage with at every turn and that's fine. From a story perspective, they don't really impact anything outside of Sarah realizing her work contributed to the outbreak which is fine too. However, the marketing for this game, from the commercials to the boxart, are heavily centered around the freakers which would naturally lead you to believe they're a big deal...and they're kinda not (outside of the hordes which isn't really introduced until the late/end game which is another problem in and of itself). You can say Dead Rising had this same style of marketing however Dead Rising's story was much more centered on the outbreak and getting to the bottom of it. Days Gone story is more about a man in a post apocolyptic world looking for his wife and and the tenuous relationships he has throughout. The existance of the freakers feel like window dressing more than anything. Even as much as i tried to avoid comparisons to TLOU, i'm sure there are people would sum up that game as a man in a post apocolyptic world dealing with his past/inner demons regarding his deceased daughter through his relationship with Ellie. And while that's true, the cornerstone as to why the relationship between him and Ellie even come to pass is because the whole point of the story is that Ellie needs to be transported cross country an attempt to synthesize a cure to thwart the outbreak. Days Gone doesn't have that lynch pin to reinforce the idea that the freakers are integral to the ongoings of the story.

There really needs to be an ability to buy resources and crafting mats at camps. I would love for them to patch this end. In theory it would have been the perfect endgame addition consider that all the camps are basically united so it would have been a good endgame reward/bonus to be able to buy resources at each camp. In the late game, especially being you still have hordes to deal with (more on that later), it's just tedious to have to keep scouring for mats simply due to the fact that things like hordes are such a drain on your resources.

Too many missions are just a series of badly stitched together cutscenes or walking sims

Facial animations 90% of the time are amazing. You really do get a lot of good nuance without it falling into the uncanny valley too often

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I've played quite a bit now and I'm having a blast. It is like mad max, but in the woodlands. Very cool.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Strange. The game runs perfectly on my pro. I haven't witnessed one issue yet.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts from what I've read in the last couple pages:

1) I don't know if I'd get rid of fuel, but I think the bike's range should be considerably longer. I think it would be better if it was something you could forget... after a certain point, I would just fill up on gas nearly every time I passed a gas station or a tow truck. (I once tried to measure the fuel economy in the game by setting a waypoint I could get to in almost a straight line, but wound up running into a horde -- but they either need to adjust the scale of the distance indicator in the game, or let the bike go further)

2) I like the fact there are very few bosses, per se. Pretty early in the game, I was preparing for a game that would feel like it really latched on to the notion that "we are a video game" after...
finding the girl, only to see a bear waiting patiently for me by my bike.
... but situations like that were few and far between (the only other part that felt totally similar was dealing with a horde on a particular mission where I kept "leaving the mission area"... even though leaving fit the mission -- it wasn't really a "clear out this place" task.)

3) No one has been talking about this (or talking about it much, at least), but I'm still very thankful that the dialogue generally steered clear of referring to them as "freakers,' with freaks being at least as common, if not more.

4) On story. I said it earlier but I think it could have been divided into two shorter games. The first half of the game is mostly OK by me. Buuut, while the second works, I keep thinking they probably added a lot of complicating factors that didn't pay off in ways I found especially satisfying. I would like to be extra clear here that I'm not saying the story was crap and they did a perfectly fine job of working out the story around the plot decisions they made. This is more me musing about what I might have preferred and what might have had more impact for me personally (a.k.a. Monday morning quarterbacking). I assume Bend had a vision for the story and they delivered on it, and good on them for that.

I don't think people who loved the game, or enjoyed a full 40 hours with it would want this, but I do feel like clearing the mountain pass and operating in a much smaller area for a few late-game missions with Khauri before being reunited with Sarah to end it might have felt plenty complete on its own. End it with Deacon telling her he'll take her home and her refusing, talking about the important work they're doing, a sort of uplifting ending, setting up a sequel where you tackle the larger problem of managing the freaks.

Then the sequel could go over some of the territory the last half of the game did. I think part of the problem for me with the late game is that the difference in character work compared with the first half is quite striking. The relationships between Deacon and his closer friends were well written, and they were all pretty solid characters (Rikki, Boozer,etc.). Then you get to Wizard Island and it feels like a lot of the people there are sketched in shorthand. You're giving Weaver the side-eye because he was into your wife and he's competing with her. Not too much later, you're fist-bumping him and pals. The nutty general is as obvious as Skizzo. I just think making it its own thing could have helped with fleshing out these characters. It would also likely mean pretty significant changes to the plot (for one, I don't think the secret wife thing would work, though I wouldn't miss it... and they'd need more to hang this part of the game on than "go find me crap to help me do science")

At any rate, these thoughts have just been rattling around my head for a bit. That I'm still thinking about the game more than a week after finishing it says a lot, so don't misconstrue this as hating the game and shitposting about it. (To be honest, I really expected I was going to play it for a few hours and then give up on it, because I was one of those people whose hype level was at 0, even after watching a bunch of the pre-release material... the only reason I kept my preorder was because of an Amazon Canada preorder deal. It was a hugely pleasant surprise.)

Oct 25, 2017
So, just got the final mission where you talk to obrian
and he removes his mask, and looks like a freaker
, what the fuck does that mean?
Are there more main missions after this? (yellow ones).
And i need to gather all of the ICPS tech for a stunt gun? it's not worth it.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I was just wondering how far am I in the game?
I just finished a mission with ricki to a power plant.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
done! & i haven't been this relieved to've finally finished a game since... well, since red dead redemption 2! how do you know that a game was too damn long? by the fact that, even tho you enjoyed it for the most part, your #1, primary feeling upon finishing the game isn't one of satisfaction, or awe, or joy, but simply one of sheer relief :) ...

as someone who considers the 68 meta-rated mafia 3 one of the best dozen games of the generation, i agree with the many here who feel that days gone's review scores were on the overly-harsh side. yeah, it does indeed go on forever, &, yeah, the script is all over the place, quality-wise, constantly shifting from acceptable to awful, & then back again, but these same criticisms are true of any number of higher-rated games, imo...

Last edited:

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Got the plat!!! The apocalypse burnout trophy was way easier than I thought. Probably gonna post my final impressions tomorrow.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just need burnout apocalypse and I'll have the plat. What a wild ride this game was. Can't believe how much I ended up liking it.

And that secret ending! Wooo yeah bring on Days Gone 2.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Platinum late last night. Game is very rough in spots but also has some really high highs on top of being a graphical stunner... when its not chugging along. A sequel with an experienced larger Bend Studio and the foundation of the first game could be their Uncharted 2 moment if they play it right. Could even add some multiplayer horde fighting which I think could be a blast considering it'd be a PS5 game and we could get hordes that were made up of thousands of Freakers. The future is bright... well maybe not for Deacon and crew.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
I'm really, really enjoying this game!
Must have put a good 40+ hours in already.

I'm at
the 5th(?) camp, the one on the island, and i have just met Sarah for the first time
How far in am I?

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Been continuing with the game, despite having despite stopped enjoying it at the beginning of camp 4/5. And I'm glad I did once
you start doing missions with Sarah tagging along the game gets really good, and starts evoking last of us type moments. A sequel like that would be amazing, now Sarah just announced she's completed a serum and I'm intrigued how this turns out

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I actually think the fuel management needs to be harsher, not more lax and certainly not removed. The game as it is never once put me in a situation where I was going to be left out "in the shit" without fuel...which imo renders the entire mechanic pointless. I imagine it's a tough thing to balance. But I want that fear of being stranded if I don't refuel before heading further out. Early on in the game it was there in parts. But it became trivial once you got the first fuel tank upgrade. In general.o kinda want the world to be much harsher. There were promises of night time making the world more dangerous. And yes, there were more freakers, but it never actually felt much more dangerous. Maybe if they had a truly dark night (dragon's dogma) where you can barely see past your nose. That would fix it.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Finished the game today. I really liked it, even though it definitely could have been trimmed down a bit.
The characters and overall narrative were given a very raw deal by the initial reviews, I was intrigued almost the entire way through. The gameplay loop was solid, and I enjoyed the scavenging mechanics.
The major complaint is the game runs like shit, and seems to get worse from the initial two camps, to 3, and then even worse in 4/5.

I would like to see the inventory system change in the sequel. Running across so many items you can't loot takes a major part of that survival feeling away.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've had the game rented for an entire month and played it for an hour, didn't grip me at all in that (admittedly brief) playtime. Gonna try and sink some real time into it this week before deciding whether to send it back or not.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think the fuel management needs to be harsher, not more lax and certainly not removed. The game as it is never once put me in a situation where I was going to be left out "in the shit" without fuel...which imo renders the entire mechanic pointless. I imagine it's a tough thing to balance. But I want that fear of being stranded if I don't refuel before heading further out. Early on in the game it was there in parts. But it became trivial once you got the first fuel tank upgrade. In general.o kinda want the world to be much harsher. There were promises of night time making the world more dangerous. And yes, there were more freakers, but it never actually felt much more dangerous. Maybe if they had a truly dark night (dragon's dogma) where you can barely see past your nose. That would fix it.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. I personally love the refuel mechanic and think it's an integral part of what they're going for with this series. But people here saying they found it annoying because they would run out of fuel...I...I'm just like...fucking wat???

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, I'm not one to tell someone how they're playing a game "wrong", but if you're running out of gas in this game it's because you've not upgraded your tank and you're a "point A to point B gamer" who goes directly to your objectives without stopping to explore.

Like, almost every major point of interest that you could stop at has a fuel canister. If you're zipping through the game just to complete objectives without scavenging , then yeah, you'll run out of gas.

I do generally feel like nighttime is more menacing and dangerous, and there's a lot more tension to be sure, but I agree they could do something with a "darkest night" scenario. That would be amazing.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. I personally love the refuel mechanic and think it's an integral part of what they're going for with this series. But people here saying they found it annoying because they would run out of fuel...I...I'm just like...fucking wat???

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, I'm not one to tell someone how they're playing a game "wrong", but if you're running out of gas in this game it's because you've not upgraded your tank and you're a "point A to point B gamer" who goes directly to your objectives without stopping to explore.

Like, almost every major point of interest that you could stop at has a fuel canister. If you're zipping through the game just to complete objectives without scavenging , then yeah, you'll run out of gas.

I do generally feel like nighttime is more menacing and dangerous, and there's a lot more tension to be sure, but I agree they could do something with a "darkest night" scenario. That would be amazing.

Yeah fuel management needs to be harsher but it would be really hard to balance I think without it just being irritating. Especially with how long the game is.

Honestly, what night time needs is the hunters from Dying Light. I feel like Reachers could have been that equivalent but they ended up being pushovers.

Wouldn't mind if they added in safe zones from Dying Light as well - some place to "hide" out in the shit.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with the fuel is that after the first upgrade is not a problem anymore at all.., i only run out of fuel once and it was at the beginning because i forgot to refuel in a camp, luckily a small horde killed me and i respawn with enough fuel to find a tow truck.

So it's kinda pointless after the first tank upgrade if you never run out of fuel, and it became an annoyance..
but.. "uh, needed this!"

Oct 27, 2017
Just made it to the 4th camp. Urgh, it's a bit grim, all mud and fences and burned landscapes. I miss Lost Lake already.

I assume I can go back north at some stage. Lots of hordes still to clear out and I did all the side missions and story missions which presented themselves but I never got the 'clear the sawmill horde' mission which I assumed would come from lost lake.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely run out of fuel before, though I was usually relatively close to something that had a gas can. Usually this would happen to me because I got caught up in doing stuff, or because the last camp I was at I was hurting for money (I'm already past LL and I still have barely any money at Copeland's camp). And yeah, it gets rough out there. If you don't know where the nearest gas can is, you've got one foot in the grave already.

I think I'm on Fuel Tank III now so it's been a while since it last happened. But no, I don't feel like fuel usage should be harsher, I think that just leads to more fuel runs and hoarding of fuel and less usage of fast travel (it feels like fast travel uses more fuel to me, anyways).

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I think fuel is fine the way it is. I have only run out once but I usually plan my runs from camp. Maybe once they patch in that survival mode later in the summer, they will make it more difficult.