• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the platinum after fucking around with the nitro drift trophy for 3 hours. Holy crap what a shitty trophy that is compared to the rest. I tried every tip & trick I could find on youtube, in the end I just got lucky when I drove through some water and the trophy suddenly popped.

Might come back and finish the last hordes (I did 80% of them) but probably not, they get a little repetitive. Overall I really enjoyed the game!

Thanks! My boyfriend played this mission last weekend so I was able to see how it "should've" played out, but I'm still not entirely sure because the mission was really glitchy for him as well. Was mostly wondering if there should've been a cutscene or something that explained why that horde suddenly spawned, but guess it just kinda randomly happens. Oh well!

The nitro trophy is really easy. Just put on the first set of tires with the least amount of traction and the highest level of nitro. Then go into a drift but only just barely push the stick to one side while holding the nitro. I did it in one try lol

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completed the "Horde Killer" storyline yesyerday and got all the IPCA tech stuff. Now I'm just looking for some human enemies to test my new toy.

Needless to say, I loved the game. Yeah, some missions suck and it has technical issues, but it gave exactly what I was expecting.

It looked much better than what I was anticipating, after the alpha videos I didn't think this game would be a looker, but guess I was wrong. The scenery looks amazing and the weather effects look pretty good.

At first I was a bit disappoonted with the guns, but it seems like getting militar/elite grade guns (and probably getting some related skills, idk) turn this game into a good shooter. I especially like the way semi automatic rifles feel.

I ended up really liking the characters and the story
especially Deek and Sarah's relationship

I loved the bike. Granted, regular bike feels slow as hell, but once you get some upgrades, it feels pretty damn good. I didn't even use fast travel.

I think that the survival aspects had a good enough balance. Many people complain about the fuel, but I never ran out of fuel because there are enough places to fill your tank. Andonce you get the last upgrade for the gas tank, you don't even need to worry about that for some time.

I think that Bend nailed the atmosphere. You feel relatively safe during the day, but once the night comes, you do get the sensation that you're in the middle of the zombie (freaker) apocalypse (especially when 'the freakshow' starts playing out of nowhere).

On the cons, we have the technical stuff. The framerate drops while in the bike whenever you're near a camp are pretty bad. Most of the time I thought that it ran fine, but I'm not too strict in that sense.

People keep mentioning glitches and bugs, but I just ran into a couple of them, and they were minor stuff that got solved restarting from last checkpoint.

The stealth missions were just bad. I didn't like how a couple of the missions where you have to take on a horde, mostly because they wouldn't let you prepare yourself.

I've got mixed feeling woth the hordes. There are ones that are fun to take on (like the sawmill horde and the one in Chemult), but the ones that were in caves were just meh.

Was the "Horde Killer" questline worth it? It's the only thing I've got left to mop up after getting the platinum. Is there a nice custom accent for it?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Was the "Horde Killer" questline worth it? It's the only thing I've got left to mop up after getting the platinum. Is there a nice custom accent for it?
It looks... Ok??? I stuck with my purple bike till the end, so I didn't pay much attention to the bike details.

I'd say you should go for the hordes if you want more Days Gone, but I don't think the rewards are worth the trouble.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks... Ok??? I stuck with my purple bike till the end, so I didn't pay much attention to the bike details.

I'd say you should go for the hordes if you want more Days Gone, but I don't think the rewards are worth the trouble.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm super addicted to the game and it's left me wanting more, so I'll definitely go for it. I figure I can go back and forth between clearing hordes and progressing through my new survival save file.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question. Are some of the hordes "unavailable" during the main campaign? I found their nests, even used a guide to track them down and nothing. I've cleared about 1/3 of them in the first three regions, but can't spot any other swarms. Do I have to wait until endgame to fight them?

BTW, I really like the game, but some decisions make me shake my head in disbelief. Like when you meet Boozer helping in the camp (spoiler for midgame)
after he lost his arm. You ask him "How are you doing?", he answers with "and how does it look like to you?".
, and that's it, end of cutscene, get back on the road. And there are many pointless cutscenes like that that would work as a simple conversation between characters without loading additional scenes.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question. Are some of the hordes "unavailable" during the main campaign? I found their nests, even used a guide to track them down and nothing. I've cleared about 1/3 of them in the first three regions, but can't spot any other swarms. Do I have to wait until endgame to fight them?

BTW, I really like the game, but some decisions make me shake my head in disbelief. Like when you meet Boozer helping in the camp (spoiler for midgame)
after he lost his arm. You ask him "How are you doing?", he answers with "and how does it look like to you?".
, and that's it, end of cutscene, get back on the road. And there are many pointless cutscenes like that that would work as a simple conversation between characters without loading additional scenes.

I think those oddly abrupt scenes were part of some kind of dialogue/choice system. It probably wasn't working as intended and so it got cut.

A lot of us seem to be able to identify many moments that feel as though they were meant to be "player agency" situations.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I think those oddly abrupt scenes were part of some kind of dialogue/choice system. It probably wasn't working as intended and so it got cut.

A lot of us seem to be able to identify many moments that feel as though they were meant to be "player agency" situations.
Ah, yes, you are right, I've completely forgotten about those scrapped player choices. So yeah, those are probably remnants of older game design decisions when you could somehow shape your relationship with Boozer. And not cut entirely just look awkward.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. Are some of the hordes "unavailable" during the main campaign? I found their nests, even used a guide to track them down and nothing. I've cleared about 1/3 of them in the first three regions, but can't spot any other swarms. Do I have to wait until endgame to fight them

I'd say wait until the nests and markers appear on map late in the game to start doing them.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Only about 2 hours in, but I gotta say I'm liking it a lot.
It knows it's avideo game and I think that helps it play and feel better.

Unlike red dead redemption 2 which took me a month to put 10 hours into, and I still haven't gone back since.

Also, why is so much apocalyptic fiction in the west and the northwest?

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I am loving everything apart from the crier nests - just pure frustration getting the ingredients for molotovs together.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Got the platinum today. Loved every second of this game. Kinda sad to put it away, but I'll probably come back to Survival difficulty someday.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With so many bug fixes, this is almost an enhanced edition. I feel like the game needs to be re-reviewed now.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I guess Star Wars is gonna be the new "generic" game.

I am loving everything apart from the crier nests - just pure frustration getting the ingredients for molotovs together.
You gotta go with the smart choice and make incendiary bolts. You get 3 bolts with just one can/bottle/whatever of kerosene.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I heard that the beginning was a slog but I think the game gave quite a speedy tour into its mechanics and various enemies from bandits, freakers, newts to rippers and even a glimpse of a horde. I'm now at the first hub area and I need to get my bike back into one piece.
Game doesn't shy from jumping straight into heaps of killing and violence, humans taking out other humans etc. And game seems to control rather nicely.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone looks better than Jedi Fallen Order. Both Unreal 4 engine games. Really amazing what Bend was able to make.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an occasional glitch with hordes? Doing a side mission for crater lake, the one where you have to take out the
anarchists in the mine and rescue a sergeant - I untied him and then a horde starting piling into the mine,
had a bit of an epic battle but managed to kill them all; but no completion pop up for the horde killer storyline? I definitely cleared out the entire mine.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018
Is there an occasional glitch with hordes? Doing a side mission for crater lake, the one where you have to take out the
anarchists in the mine and rescue a sergeant - I untied him and then a horde starting piling into the mine,
had a bit of an epic battle but managed to kill them all; but no completion pop up for the horde killer storyline? I definitely cleared out the entire mine.
I think that horde just doesn't count, I killed it and didn't get anything for it either.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that there are certain areas in the game world, notably a few blocked off tunnels along the edges of the map where you can seemingly generate huge amounts of freakers, near or around the smaller horde sizes. I thought the game had glitched but I had a ton of them come swarming out after I made a lot of noise killing a Rager.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely some curiosities with hordes. I just finished fighting one that lived in a blocked off train tunnel, I killed a shit load of them over maybe 15 minutes, each time going back to tease out the remainder. Eventually they all appeared to be dead but no confirmation popped up, so I was running around looking for the odd straggler. Couldn't find them anywhere, went back into the tunnel and it was completely empty. Came out feeling a bit irritated and then another massive load of swarmers suddenly came charging out of the previously empty tunnel. Loads of them, fucking hell.

Another epic battle ensues, I eventually got the horde killed confirmation to pop after killing 660 of them! I know because I had just cleared out my ears at diamond lake before taking on this horde.

Chicago chopper is a beast. The hordes are awesome.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should have released NG+ with this new difficulty mode.

Totally agree! Here's hoping it's up for consideration for a future update.

Also, with version 1.09 I wasn't seeing any of the hard frame rate drops and freezes of previous versions.

But now, with 1.10, I've had 3 or 4. And when they hit...man are they BAD!

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This game seems more difficult than I can handle particularly because I'm not very good at aiming with controller and I'm playing easy. I just recently bought the game, I'm at the start where I've just cleared one of the infested areas right after you do the job for Mark. I am absolutely running out of resources. Barely any health, barely any ammo and don't quite like the stamina and I scavenge as much as possible . Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to identify enemies at all within the game not sure it's the colour scheme or something else and dark is seriously dark with flash light on that I can't really tell. Otherwise, I actually quite like it so far and interested in the story.Loading can be abit ridiculous at times like there's a cutscene, then loading screen then cutscene again. I will say that I feel I was absolutely proven wrong when it comes to gun handling as they feel really good.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the one I just did above where it did a weird glitch and I ended up killing 660 of them. Biggest horde I've done so far. I assume there isn't 660 of them normally, but I dunno. I also kited that horde into the nearby ripper camp for an easy clear.

Actually, come to think of it, that Horde bugged out for me too. But it was at a different time, long before I got to the end of the game.

I was securing the Nero checkpoint next to it and decided I should probably clear the Horde. But the Horde wasn't huge. It was easy enough.

Then I drove out of the area for a few moments and as I was driving back over the bridge towards the Nero checkpoint, suddenly they all spawned out of thin air and dropped back into place.

But when I went back to kill them for the Horde killer questline in the post game, they were nowhere to be found initially. It took me a couple of sleeps and driving back and forth between two Horde sites to get them to spawn.

FINALLY when they spawned, they were in the train tunnel, and there were a fuckton of them. Easily 500 or so. It was as big as the sawmill Horde.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game and started blind on Survival difficulty. Really enjoying it so far after a couple hours, but the hitchy way the HUD works is kind of weird.

Like I have no way to check my health, ammo, etc. I can click the right stick and occasionally they pop in briefly, but not always. Most of the time it activates the detective vision(which is also weird that it still even shows up, even if it doesn't highlight much other than tracks I think?), but the HUD stuff feels glitchy when they pop in. Like the game can't decide under this rule set if it's meant to show them or "oh crap we're not so let's blip them briefly and make them disappear fast!"

I dunno, I guess I'd like some definitive feedback on whether I am meant to literally not have access to such info in this mode or not. I don't mind at all being required to pay attention to visual feedback for bandage use(instead of a life bar), or to count my ammo, but the HUD teasing without a guaranteed way to make it pop in is leading to frustrating bad habits of pounding the r-stick to get it to show for a sec.

Either it needs a patch to make it appear on command or remove it entirely.

Nov 18, 2018
This game seems more difficult than I can handle particularly because I'm not very good at aiming with controller and I'm playing easy. I just recently bought the game, I'm at the start where I've just cleared one of the infested areas right after you do the job for Mark. I am absolutely running out of resources. Barely any health, barely any ammo and don't quite like the stamina and I scavenge as much as possible . Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to identify enemies at all within the game not sure it's the colour scheme or something else and dark is seriously dark with flash light on that I can't really tell. Otherwise, I actually quite like it so far and interested in the story.Loading can be abit ridiculous at times like there's a cutscene, then loading screen then cutscene again. I will say that I feel I was absolutely proven wrong when it comes to gun handling as they feel really good.
I'm bad at aiming too and it can be quite tough when you start but there are lots of skills which make it easier as you go along. Pumping upgrades into focus is particular useful if you struggle with that, plus the ability to repair your melee weapon. The sense of progression is pretty satisfying and once you have a lot of the skills it gets pretty easy and is super fun.

Oct 27, 2017
The progression is really good I think. When you start out even a few freakers is enough to cause problems, but once you upgraded your skills and unlocked other weapons, massive hordes become entirely doable. The best bit for me is they still require planning, you need to think about how and where you want to lead them, set your traps etc and then invariably have to adapt on the fly as things change. They're so good, in any sequels I think they need to make a bit more of the hordes earlier on as they're a fantastic part of the game.

Also this will be my first platinum ever I think. I've only got a few trophies left to get, I'm still hugely enthused to play the game so yeah. It feels achievable and not a chore. GoTY for me, potentially GoTY generation.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Is there a fucking trick to this radial menu I've completely forgotten

I can't even select the napalm Molotovs because the goddamn thing jitters all over the place and keeps picking my sidearm

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
The progression is really good I think. When you start out even a few freakers is enough to cause problems, but once you upgraded your skills and unlocked other weapons, massive hordes become entirely doable. The best bit for me is they still require planning, you need to think about how and where you want to lead them, set your traps etc and then invariably have to adapt on the fly as things change. They're so good, in any sequels I think they need to make a bit more of the hordes earlier on as they're a fantastic part of the game.
I totally agree with that assessment. One of the real triumphs of this games design is the power balance and how you scale up throughout the game. The journey of a single Freaker being a threat to you taking down a horde of them is very satisfying.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The radial weapon selector is ridiculously unreliable especially when you're under pressure. The amount of times I've tried to select the molotovs and ended up with pipe bombs instead is insane.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm about to face my first horde.

Idk what to do lol

Just make sure you're stocked up on Molotov's, attractor bombs (if you can; or just attractors as an alternative), pipe bombs and grenades. If you can get an SMG for your primary weapon or, better still, the Chicago Chopper (depending on how far you are into the game), make sure you have lots of ammo available (bike saddle ammo pouch, magazine upgrade, etc).

Depending on where you'll be taking them on, take note of the surroundings. The high ground is your friend, Anakin. Try to funnel them into choke points, especially if it's a large horde, and either unload a clip into them or toss some shit at them.

The best initial approach, assuming you don't get spotted, is to hide in some brush and toss out some attractor/attractor bombs and wait for them to swarm, then toss some Molotov's into the heap to cook 'em up for a substantial start.

Oct 27, 2017
Just did the horde mission for Kouri. That was great, a really good location to take on a horde - Bend really should have got more horde missions in a little earlier, some of the games best moments are scrambling to defeat a horde. I've done 7 or 8 hordes now and they've all been brilliant moments. I love the planning stage looking at where you're going to lead them to bottle neck them and when there's hundreds of them all scrambling towards you.....just wow. Love it.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Sam Witwer is incredible in this. I talked a lot of smack about Deacon pre-release and ironically I've become completely enthralled by him in large part to how realistically he's being performed. Already one of my most enjoyed playable characters this entire gen. Never thought I'd be writing that on here.

The acting across the board is some of the best and most natural a game has ever had. I'm consistently blown away by it. Bend did an amazing job with facial capture and animation. So many subtle expressions on so many of the characters that adds so much to the cutscenes. I can't think of a game that had as many true to life conversations and small intimate moments between two people as DG.

This isn't an easy game to market but I think Sony really dropped the ball showcasing what the narrative of this game is about and what type of tone it has. It is refreshingly adult and almost feels plotted and paced like a good season of television; especially with all the overlapping narrative threads.

Days Gone has been one consistent pleasant surprise for me hour after hour and for reasons I wasn't expecting at all.

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you who finished the game. How far am I into it?
Just found out that
Sarah is alive/reached military island

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sam Witwer is incredible in this. I talked a lot of smack about Deacon pre-release and ironically I've become completely enthralled by him in large part to how realistically he's being performed. Already one of my most enjoyed playable characters this entire gen. Never thought I'd be writing that on here.

The acting across the board is some of the best and most natural a game has ever had. I'm consistently blown away by it. Bend did an amazing job with facial capture and animation. So many subtle expressions on so many of the characters that adds so much to the cutscenes. I can't think of a game that had as many true to life conversations and small intimate moments between two people as DG.

This isn't an easy game to market but I think Sony really dropped the ball showcasing what the narrative of this game is about and what type of tone it has. It is refreshingly adult and almost feels plotted and paced like a good season of television; especially with all the overlapping narrative threads.

Days Gone has been one consistent pleasant surprise for me hour after hour and for reasons I wasn't expecting at all.

Outside of the technical issues the structure and pacing are the biggest problems with the game.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
As someone already said, invest your skill points in ranged skills and the NERO upgrades on focus.

Semi auto rifles are the easiest way to get headshots early in the game (and feel pretty damn good IMO), so you should look for one until you get your hands on some military grade guns.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Some of the weapons you get in the late game are awesome. Popping headshots with The Cowboy is satisfying as hell.