• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Got this on the Days of Play sale.

The pacing is really, really off but reading this thread, it has to do with the choice system being cut? Shame.

Like, the Lisa thing where you go to the camp and she says it sucks, end of mission. Abrupt shit like that feels weird.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With so many bug fixes, this is almost an enhanced edition. I feel like the game needs to be re-reviewed now.

I'd hate to imagine the state in how it was reviewed if this is how it's looked at.

With 1.10, have:

• Tons of random hostage quests bugging out, being unable to rescue them as they aimlessly wander a small area, sometimes holding imaginary weapons.
  • Other random quests just can't be finished for other reasons. Follow a trail that deadends to nothing. No booby trap to hoist Deek up, no enemies at a camp, no other area hundreds of meters in the vicinity to search for another lead
  • Same thing can happen in some bounty/side quests. The Runner cave one is a good example, where the tracking bugged out. Luckily just entering the cave continued the quest.
  • The upgraded sneak kill no longer works for Breakers.
  • Some areas no foliage pops up at all, and looks like a melted plastic mess.
  • Occasional really bad frame drops on the bike
  • Have enemies disappear randomly or fall into the level when killed.
  • Related, some plants don't appear or are in the middle of some rock or tree.
  • Sometimes quest dialogue/markers are skipped over or won't trigger, leading to reloads or just missing out on what took place
  • At a game stopping bug now. Very late game. You have to enter a cave to check on the status of something and a potential new Freaker type. Thing is, the terrain hasn't loaded and the cave entrance is unenterable with a solid mass of that melted plastic geometry blocking it. Didn't work with reloading the game, so will have to see if I can get it working the next day.
I'm having a good time with the game (which is good, since I'm not convinced it has an ending :p), but damn is it a technical mess half the time.

Got this on the Days of Play sale.

The pacing is really, really off but reading this thread, it has to do with the choice system being cut? Shame.

Like, the Lisa thing where you go to the camp and she says it sucks, end of mission. Abrupt shit like that feels weird.

Luckily that doesn't last long. There's sometimes still a good deal of confusing dialogue that takes place at the halfway or so point that shows they just went with certain paths, but the abruptness of the obvious cuts are absent.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
This is the end ^^ Thx and GG Bend studio

1560358191-days-gone-20190612160752.png

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone convince me it's worth powering through these terrible stealth nero missions because I'm about to return this game.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
So... the game just took all my weapons in the middle of a mission? As if this stupid stealth mission wasn't awful enough, take all my weapons and crafted items. I think I'm be trolled by these devs. Detective vision, forced boring stealth, gas the bike every ten seconds, take all my shit in a mission, constant annoying radio banter at the worst times.

This game is a troll.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times, but what is the name of the song that
plays when Deacon takes Boozer to Lost Lake?

Game is really clicking for me despite my issues with the pacing. I like exploration even without incentive or reward, and occasionally there is one like finding a mine in a mostly boarded up house.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times, but what is the name of the song that
plays when Deacon takes Boozer to Lost Lake?

Game is really clicking for me despite my issues with the pacing. I like exploration even without incentive or reward, and occasionally there is one like finding a mine in a mostly boarded up house.
Soldier's eyes.

Oct 30, 2017
Im enjoying it. I like Deacon and I adore the bike riding in this, so much so I rarely fast travel.

Overall, a 7.5/10 after 10-12 hrs of play seems right. Frame rate can be all over the place though.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Can someone convince me it's worth powering through these terrible stealth nero missions because I'm about to return this game.
What? They are so easy, and so short. Like 5-10 minutes. I only had to repeat 2 of them once. Stick to the bushes, use your rocks to to distract the guards.

They are a really minor section of the game.

Oct 27, 2017

There's only like 5 or 6 of them I think? So they'll be over soon, ha. I didn't have any issues with them, the missions I didn't particularly like are the ones where you have to chase someone on a bike. They're a bit crappy. Luckily there is only a handful of those too.

Pretty close to the platinum. Only q handful of trophies to go. I can almost taste it, my first ever platinum, om nom nom.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm warming up to this. Started on survival, basically a blind playthrough. Never had hype for this game so I don't know anything about it from pre/post-release coverage. I'm a little worried about a difficultly spike later on but so far it's pretty easy to manage. We'll see when I have to deal with hordes...

Ammo is very confusing to me. Having to lose all my ammo in the magazine when I switch out a weapon is incredibly fuckin annoying. And I cannot make sense of how this works at lockers/vendors. Buy a new rifle and he drops the other on the ground, full of ammo. Lol wtf.

JoyFreak

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
UK
Beat the game.

I had a lot of fun with it, however this is a game that's too bloated and padded for its own good. It would have made a good, even a great 25 hour adventure. But at its current length? A largely mediocre experience.

Story conversations cutting off due to cutscenes, main mission design being extremely poor, a largely poor story with uneven pacing combined with predictable plot and twists make for a rough time in trying to progress through the game at times.

I enjoyed the sandbox approach to many of the side missions. Hordes were fun to fight, and really tense, especially early on. Resources were not over abundant on Hard, and every encounter felt meaningful due to how powerful even individual enemies could be.

But I enjoyed the side missions more than I ever did the story ones. And that's telling. The main story missions mostly sucked, while others were borderline awful. There's a really fun game here, but the rest of the game tries it's best to bury it deep beneath a plethora of other things, none of which are executed in an intersting, fun or unique way. This game was just too ambitious for Bend. And it hurt the game, it hurt it bad.

It's a solid 6/10 on my scale (where a 5 would be a mediocre/average).
How long did it take you to complete it? Gaming Forums

Last edited:

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They take no longer than 5 minutes and are almost impossible to fail...
So... the game just took all my weapons in the middle of a mission? As if this stupid stealth mission wasn't awful enough, take all my weapons and crafted items. I think I'm be trolled by these devs. Detective vision, forced boring stealth, gas the bike every ten seconds, take all my shit in a mission, constant annoying radio banter at the worst times.

This game is a troll.
That's a pain in the ass sure, the gas the bike complaint however...

Oct 27, 2017

This game is a troll.

I assume that's the mission in
the ripper camp
? In which case you get all your stuff back after a few minutes and I guess it makes sense narratively.

Detective vision, don't use it? I'm almost done with the game and I've used it maybe 2 or 3 times.

Bike every ten seconds? Naaaaah m8. Upgrade your gas tank and you'll be able to go the entire length of the map and still have spare.

Annoying radio banter? What's annoying about it? It's snippets of interesting world/character lore.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded a 4gb update (1.11).

The patch notes in the PS4 menu say "bug fixes".

EDIT:

Here are the patch notes via the Days Gone Reddit:

Patch 1.11
Progression Issues
  • Resolved an issue related to PlayGo where the main menu screen was not showing any selectable options
  • During "Lines Not Crossed", the NPC assisting you will function as intended
  • The job "Didn't Want To Join Up?" should progress properly
General Fixes
  • The new "Dead Don't Ride" bike decal can now be equipped at select mechanic merchants
  • The HUD should now appear when hitting R3 when starting a new game in Survival Difficulty
  • When at low health, the screen effect should appear correctly in Survival Difficulty
  • Updated the text for the Survival Difficulty Mode start-up screen
  • Corrected an issue where the trophy "Don't Stop Me Now" was rewarded prior to completing the requirements
  • The "Executioner" skill should function properly against Breakers

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm probably going to be starting this up soon,any impressions of survival mode.I've heard the game is not that hard even on hard mode so would like to know if survival would be ok for a first playthrough.

Oct 30, 2017
So Sam Witwer was in an episode of The Walking Dead in 2010, the name of that episode was Days Gone Bye. My mind is blown. Yes, yes, I understand that this was probably discussed to death months ago but I just found out!!

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to be starting this up soon,any impressions of survival mode.I've heard the game is not that hard even on hard mode so would like to know if survival would be ok for a first playthrough.

I played the game on normal and got the platinum, then started it again on Survival and I've put in a substantial amount of time in the first act (somewhere between 5-10 hours).

Survival, for my money, is absolutely the way to play this. Especially if you've played something like RE2 this year and are clamoring for more "survival horror".

The game is more difficult, but very fair. It plays a lot more like RE in that freakers absorb a lot more damage (headshots being the only surefire way to take them down in one hit to conserve ammo or melee weapon durability). Ammo is in shorter supply but I've yet to run out completely. Human enemies do seem a bit smarter and have more in the way of tactics. They still have moments where the AI goes completely dumb and stands around or calls out that the coast is clear immediately after someone in their group has been downed, but overall I'm finding them way more engaging and they're forcing me to really think through my approach and take cover constantly.

Deacon takes heavy damage and can go down after a few hits (initial health bar without the upgrades can probably lose 3-4 chunks before you're dead). Crafting supplies are much harder to come by, giving it a real TLOU flavor in terms of harder gameplay (think of the resource management in the harder difficulties of TLOU; it's almost exactly like that).

I love the immersive HUD. I like trusting my sense of direction and just following the open road to my destination. I rarely ever get lost or feel the need to open the world map constantly.

Overall, I'd say if you like RE type of resource management and more challenging gameplay, this is absolutely a great way to play.

Although...I haven't taken on a Horde or a swarm yet and whenever there's more than 3 freakers coming after me I usually nope the fuck out and run my ass off to give them the slip. It's also the very first time in my hundred hours of playing the game that I ducked into a trash bin to hide. LOL

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I played the game on normal and got the platinum, then started it again on Survival and I've put in a substantial amount of time in the first act (somewhere between 5-10 hours).

Survival, for my money, is absolutely the way to play this. Especially if you've played something like RE2 this year and are clamoring for more "survival horror".

The game is more difficult, but very fair. It plays a lot more like RE in that freakers absorb a lot more damage (headshots being the only surefire way to take them down in one hit to conserve ammo or melee weapon durability). Ammo is in shorter supply but I've yet to run out completely. Human enemies do seem a bit smarter and have more in the way of tactics. They still have moments where the AI goes completely dumb and stands around or calls out that the coast is clear immediately after someone in their group has been downed, but overall I'm finding them way more engaging and they're forcing me to really think through my approach and take cover constantly.

Deacon takes heavy damage and can go down after a few hits (initial health bar without the upgrades can probably lose 3-4 chunks before you're dead). Crafting supplies are much harder to come by, giving it a real TLOU flavor in terms of harder gameplay (think of the resource management in the harder difficulties of TLOU; it's almost exactly like that).

I love the immersive HUD. I like trusting my sense of direction and just following the open road to my destination. I rarely ever get lost or feel the need to open the world map constantly.

Overall, I'd say if you like RE type of resource management and more challenging gameplay, this is absolutely a great way to play.

Although...I haven't taken on a Horde or a swarm yet and whenever there's more than 3 freakers coming after me I usually nope the fuck out and run my ass off to give them the slip. It's also the very first time in my hundred hours of playing the game that I ducked into a trash bin to hide. LOL

Half the stuff in survival mode should have been options or design decisions in the base game really, especially the HUD related changes.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK

Ok,thanks very much for this.Do you think perhaps the hordes are gonna be a troublesome difficulty spike on survival given what they were like before?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok,thanks very much for this.Do you think perhaps the hordes are gonna be a troublesome difficulty spike on survival given what they were like before?

I think they'll be a fun challenge when you're finally feeling confident enough to take them on. With a few health/focus/stamina upgrades under your belt, some spent skill points, and the right gear, it should be a good time.

But if you're saving most of the Horde stuff for the post-game like I did on normal, I think that wouldn't be too challenging by that time because Deacon will be fully upgraded and tank-like with the right weaponry and supplies. Either way, should be fun. lol

Right now I just avoid larger groups as much as possible. I think trash cans are going to become my friend where they weren't before. lol

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half the stuff in survival mode should have been options or design decisions in the base game really, especially the HUD related changes.

I think I agree somewhat, and definitely regarding the HUD options. Being able to full customize the HUD to suit your personal play style from the onset would have been nice, for sure.

But I can see where Bend Studio had a tough time balancing difficulty in this open world they've created. There are so many variables here that must have been a nightmare to keep track of and tweak.

(Human) enemy AI was dumb as bricks, though. On normal that shit was downright pitiful at times. Thankfully Survival has gone a very long way to improving that.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think they'll be a fun challenge when you're finally feeling confident enough to take them on. With a few health/focus/stamina upgrades under your belt, some spent skill points, and the right gear, it should be a good time.

But if you're saving most of the Horde stuff for the post-game like I did on normal, I think that wouldn't be too challenging by that time because Deacon will be fully upgraded and tank-like with the right weaponry and supplies. Either way, should be fun. lol

Right now I just avoid larger groups as much as possible. I think trash cans are going to become my friend where they weren't before. lol
Right then,survival it is!
Nothing worse than a game that sets up a premise of a scary dangerous world only for it to be not dangerous because its too easy.
Thanks again for the feedback.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right then,survival it is!
Nothing worse than a game that sets up a premise of a scary dangerous world only for it to be not dangerous because its too easy.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Oh, a couple of things to note.

Headshots won't be easy to pull off right at the start. Once you get a feel for the aiming reticle (again, a lot like TLOU), and then you upgrade your focus and ranged weapon related skills, you'll be achieving about an 80% headshot rate at the best of times.

They fixed the red damage vignette with the immersive HUD on Survival with the latest update. That should have been red around the edges of the screen when you were dangerously low on health, but for me it would bug out and happen at random times (super fucking annoying). Thankfully, you don't have to experience that now.

Lastly, hordes are avoidable for a good portion of the game. It's always fun/intense when you're in the vicinity of one and you heard the loud drone of them passing by, but you rarely have a reason to engage them until you're either feeling good and ready to or there's a story related reason. Don't worry about the hordes too much for the first 50-60% of the game. You'll know when it's time to really start engaging them.

A few NERO checkpoints are inaccessible until later. I won't say anything more on that, though.

Oh, and you're welcome! Good luck and enjoy! If you liked the gameplay in TLOU you should be able to enjoy this.

I personally found the combat/stealth/crafting and movement in TLOU to be very fun and addicting (I loved the scrounging for materials and crafting things like Molotov's on the fly). So I was completely hooked by Days Gone.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Oh, a couple of things to note.

Headshots won't be easy to pull off right at the start. Once you get a feel for the aiming reticle (again, a lot like TLOU), and then you upgrade your focus and ranged weapon related skills, you'll be achieving about an 80% headshot rate at the best of times.

They fixed the red damage vignette with the immersive HUD on Survival with the latest update. That should have been red around the edges of the screen when you were dangerously low on health, but for me it would bug out and happen at random times (super fucking annoying). Thankfully, you don't have to experience that now.

Lastly, hordes are avoidable for a good portion of the game. It's always fun/intense when you're in the vicinity of one and you heard the loud drone of them passing by, but you rarely have a reason to engage them until you're either feeling good and ready to or there's a story related reason. Don't worry about the hordes too much for the first 50-60% of the game. You'll know when it's time to really start engaging them.

A few NERO checkpoints are inaccessible until later. I won't say anything more on that, though.

Oh, and you're welcome! Good luck and enjoy! If you liked the gameplay in TLOU you should be able to enjoy this.

I personally found the combat/stealth/crafting and movement in TLOU to be very fun and addicting (I loved the scrounging for materials and crafting things like Molotov's on the fly). So I was completely hooked by Days Gone.
Yea,loved the gameplay in TLoU....looking forward to this now!

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Has the frame rate improved at all in these latest two patches?

I'm at the final third of the game but the performance is so bad that i've delayed finishing it until it is fixed.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I went to take out a marauder camp, was doing really well but got discovered and they started shooting at me. Next minute an absolutely huge horde appears and totally destroys everything, including me, presumably attracted to the noise.
I was just laughing my head off, the hordes are just crazy if they catch you off guard

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if I'm going to make it to the end of the game honestly. I've been in the last third of the game in what feels like forever and the amount of generic fetch/clear camp missions is ridiculous. That coupled with the terrible performance is just making it a slog and a half.

I'm at the final third of the game but the performance is so bad that i've delayed finishing it until it is fixed.

Nope. There have been 11 patches and the game is still in this state so I wouldn't expect it to ever get fixed. Imagine how terrible it was on a base console 8 patches ago which is probably how most of reviewers played it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the performance is as consistently bad as some of you are suggesting. And I would absolutely say that there has been a noticeable difference between the launch and 1.02 versions and now.

Yes, there are some serious performance problems at times, but nothing game breaking in the slightest. I'd say that, in my personal experience, on average I'd come across roughly 2-3 brief, but jarring, performance problems or bugs in a 3 hour session.

Having said all that, I can only speak for my time with the game on PS4 Pro. I have no idea what it's like on base PS4, nor do I want to imagine how bad it might be.

If someone told me it's a shitshow on base PS4, then I'd be inclined to believe that. It's definitely a game that needs the extra horsepower (should be glorious on PS5, LOL).

Oct 27, 2017
I've progressed the story enough that the hordes are now marked on my map. Picked up a few in the starting area near Copeland's, and LOLOLOLOL, hordes my ass. I'm a veteran of the mega 660 horde glitch from Crater Lake, look at you teeny tiny 'hordes' coming at me with like 50 of you. So cute! One attractor bomb, maybe a Molotov/napalm and then mop up the stragglers with the chopper. 2 minutes, done. NEXT!

To think these guys used to make me run away in the first few hours. Until I take on the Sawmill horde anyway, ha. The progression system is really great.

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't find the performance as bad as everyone else, on Pro at least. I can imagine base PS4 would be vastly more obvious. No issues in the North, it was definitely a bit worse in and around Crater Lake but not crippling for me. The only times I really noticed it were coming into camp in Diamond Lake where it would randomly drop to easily 20fps for a few seconds and occasionally on Wizard Island - and one time a freeze which lasted 15 seconds or so and made me think everything had crashed.

Out and about in the Southern Region hasn't been any worse for me than anywhere else, perfectly playable even with massive hordes chasing after me. I still think given the amount of stuff on screen, the environmental detail and quality of textures and lighting it's quite the technical achievement.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the performance as bad as everyone else, on Pro at least. I can imagine base PS4 would be vastly more obvious. No issues in the North, it was definitely a bit worse in and around Crater Lake but not crippling for me. The only times I really noticed it were coming into camp in Diamond Lake where it would randomly drop to easily 20fps for a few seconds and occasionally on Wizard Island - and one time a freeze which lasted 15 seconds or so and made me think everything had crashed.

Out and about in the Southern Region hasn't been any worse for me than anywhere else, perfectly playable even with massive hordes chasing after me. I still think given the amount of stuff on screen, the environmental detail and quality of textures and lighting it's quite the technical achievement.

You've pretty much nailed down exactly where the most glaring issues occur. Outside of that there's nothing consistently bad about the performance. Pretty standard stuff for any ambitious open-world game, I'd say.

Again, in PS4 Pro.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
On the bike the performance is terrible half the time even on Pro. On foot it is mostly fine outside of Diamond Lake and big horde battles.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Does the story get better?

This isn't a bad game and so far it's a solid 7.5/10 but some of the missions are so generic and sometimes they just end when you go from point a to b. Like nothing has really happened in the story and I been playing about 25-30 hours.

The characters aren't likeable in the slightest. there's way too much focus on Boozer. I don't care for him why are half the missions about him? He's annoying as hell and I don't wanna help him?

The other missions just consist of Nero chasing helicopter and spying on their conversations.

It's just not that interesting. I'm at the bit where I had to rescue boozer when he was drunk.

Does it get better? It's alright not a bad game but so generic in every way.

I can o oh play it for an hour or so at a time before the boredom of it sets it but when I do play i do enjoy it just not any more than something like AC Odyssey which was equally as bland ok it's missions and gameplay.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got a glitch that means I can't use my binoculars anymore? Anyone know how to fix this?
Ah ffs I can't aim either with l2

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Stolen from Wario's Twitter,

Days Gone is $29.99 at Newegg w/ code EMCTBUA43 bit.ly/2w0HHkV Collector's Edition $69.99 w/ code bit.ly/2vRUciw

Caved and picked up the CE even tho I've beat the game with the digital copy I bought. Mostly I just want the statue. It's made by Gentle Giant, and their track record is pretty good.

Story definitely picks up on the back half and beyond the "end" of the game. I thought it was really good, can't wait to see what they do with a sequel.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

This isn't a bad game and so far it's a solid 7.5/10 but some of the missions are so generic and sometimes they just end when you go from point a to b. Like nothing has really happened in the story and I been playing about 25-30 hours.

The characters aren't likeable in the slightest. there's way too much focus on Boozer. I don't care for him why are half the missions about him? He's annoying as hell and I don't wanna help him?

The other missions just consist of Nero chasing helicopter and spying on their conversations.

It's just not that interesting. I'm at the bit where I had to rescue boozer when he was drunk.

Does it get better? It's alright not a bad game but so generic in every way.

I can o oh play it for an hour or so at a time before the boredom of it sets it but when I do play i do enjoy it just not any more than something like AC Odyssey which was equally as bland ok it's missions and gameplay.
The characters are awesome

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the 3rd camp, haven't even maxed out trust of first 2 yet? Should I go and do them?

Only if you want to, for weapons or whatever. You get the chance to go back and forth for a while. I only just maxed out Copeland's camp about half hour before the credits rolled.

Finished the main story. I'll post some proper thoughts soon, but I loved it. What a game.

Now I've got 4 trophies left to get, diamond lake to get the level 3 trust, an ambush camp to do and about 25 hordes left. So I've got a few more hours enjoyment yet.

Last edited:

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Survival mode is legit. I have other games I want to play but cant' stop. I'm even coming around on having no idea how much health/stamina you have.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Survival mode is legit. I have other games I want to play but cant' stop. I'm even coming around on having no idea how much health/stamina you have.
You can tap the focus button to see your health and stamina. And check your fuel on the bike / see gps on minimap. Only lasts a couple seconds, but it's long enough to get needed info.