• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
You can tap the focus button to see your health and stamina. And check your fuel on the bike / see gps on minimap. Only lasts a couple seconds, but it's long enough to get needed info.
It must not have worked the first couple times I tried so I just assumed it only worked for tracking and never used it again. That will be helpful thanks. I don't know at this point I might not use it anyway. It's pretty exciting having no idea how man bullets are left in your last clip unless you're counting. unless you peak at the radial menu.

Am I the only one that prefers the early game crappy motorcycle? It just feels more fun to drive to me.

Last edited:

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only if you want to, for weapons or whatever. You get the chance to go back and forth for a while. I only just maxed out Copeland's camp about half hour before the credits rolled.

Finished the main story. I'll post some proper thoughts soon, but I loved it. What a game.

Now I've got 4 trophies left to get, diamond lake to get the level 3 trust, an ambush camp to do and about 25 hordes left. So I've got a few more hours enjoyment yet.
Third camp looks to have better weapons anyway so seems kinda pointless. I've only just got nitrous cos it seems unnecessary.

BTW Pro tip for anyone early game, get the skill point for upgrading the crossbow, it's basically one hit kills from there on in on your standard goon/freak.

Oct 27, 2017
Third camp looks to have better weapons anyway so seems kinda pointless. I've only just got nitrous cos it seems unnecessary.

BTW Pro tip for anyone early game, get the skill point for upgrading the crossbow, it's basically one hit kills from there on in on your standard goon/freak.

Pretty much, I got to lost lake and then just flipped back and forth between there and hot springs purely for the weapons. Cope I basically ignored until the end of the game.

Upgraded crossbow is also one hit kill on wolves too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just encountered the Ice Wind Cave big. 10 patches in and an obvious glitch like this is still in the game...

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I resumed my playthrough of Horizon and getting from point A to point B is such a pain in the ass. I really miss my bike.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone played the weekly challenges? How to start one?

Edit: It'll be available on june 20th

Last edited:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I think I'm in the final hours now and this game has blown me away with it's story and characters. Super impressed with it and it's only gotten better the further I go.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what causes it. I had zero issue but I know it's cropped up a lot on here. Must be a bit of nightmare tracking bugs in open world games, so many variables

Had my first teleporting/spawn on Horde in there as well. How I survived is a mystery.

So, finally got to the Horde Killer missions opening up. Crazy how long this game is dragging out to be, but at least things have been enjoyable to offset it. The next one, if there is one, needs to nail down the pacing better.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Just started playing this this weekend after getting it during the Days of Play sale. It's pretty fun so far, and I'm enjoying myself even though I haven't gotten to the part where the story picks up yet, apparently. Roughly 8-10 hours in and I really like how unstable Deacon is as a character - his constant talking to himself and yelling at Copeland on the radio really sells the "guy going insane in zombieland and would DEFINITELY talk to himself in the middle of nowhere" schtick.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the story and most of the post-game outside of a handful of Hordes and drift trophies.

Final thoughts:

• Decent story, if not predictable and terrible pacing. The only surprising bit was a certain post-game moment, which is a pretty good hook for if they want to develop a follow up.
  • More and more gets fixed with each update, but man is this still infested with bugs throughout. Nothing that a system reset won't fix, but they are not uncommon.
  • The beginning quarter to half of the game is a bit disjointed with the clear excising of the choice system, and some of it goes further into even the end of the story. While the cuts are better hidden as it goes on, some characters such as
    Iron Mike and Skizzo
    react outside of the context that they should have knowledge of. It was also funny in the end game where you can tell certain characters
    could have lived or died, despite not having a choice in-game,
    with how it cut to them.
  • Audio was usually good, including in the directional department. Big nitpick is of course line-delivery, with Deacon shouting sometimes for no reason, or where
    his speech after the Battle of Wizard Island is hardly audible with his muttering of it.
  • While the side characters get a lot of screen time, they suffer greatly from the culled choice feature. Alkai for example is set up to be a bit of a big deal, but in-game he only features in two cutscenes and as your merchant. The main Rikki subplot also peters out. One major neglect in the post-game, perhaps due to again having to pick and choose from completed choice system aspects, is the absence of
    Sarah from the game. She is seen arriving back to Lost Lake with Deacon, who also mentions she's there when Lisa visits. So after all the effort, where is she in-game
    ?
  • Combat gets to be pretty fun as you upgrade and get better equipment. One minor quibble is that often a lot of the stuff you get late/post game isn't as good as what you may already have for the same purpose, despite some it requiring far more effort to obtain. Hopefully the next game has a bit of a better curve there.
  • Enemy variety was surprisingly great, though a lot was stacked into the last third to quarter of the game. Oddly enough, it's surprising to see from that how most of what was shown in the the demos and trailers were late game.
  • Hordes are easily the best part of the game. I wish some weren't just purely swarmers and weren't mostly in the middle of nowhere areas that are a bit boring to fight in, but it's certainly the heart of this game. Unfortunately, the game steers you away from them until very late in the game, though you can certainly take on a good number of them early to mid game.
  • Traversal on bike was usually good-to-great when the frame-rate held up, though sometimes the bike doesn't behave predictably or consistently. The fast-travel system is there, but I may have used it once in the main game, and have only used it sparingly in the post despite having all skills maxed out and little need to stop anywhere between Points A and B. It's just that enjoyable despite having done most of the well executed exploration.
  • Finally, visuals are usually good. Great lighting and one of the stronger HDR titles in my experience. However, a lot of the NPCS you encounter look really rough all around, and not in the way they are supposed to.
Overall, I'd rate it a high 7 to lower 8. There's a lot of roughage to deal with, but the overall game is stronger than those to have a ton of impact. Hopefully Bend Studios can make a more focused game that doesn't feel like half of it was quickly glued together with mismatched pieces. Forget the choice system altogether and just focus on what is a surprisingly strong narrative they've built up here, and continue making an excellent world to explore.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just got the platinum for this game and watched the secret ending.

Wow...just wow.

Probably the biggest surprise of the last for years for me, and definitely my game of year (tied with RE2).

Amazing story that's also surprisingly emotional with characters that I just adore (Boozer, Deacon, and Iron Mike especially). Fun gameplay that's both simple and complex due to hordes and the strategies they involve. A detailed open world with the best graphics of this generation right next to RDR2.

The beginning is honestly horrible and what probably drove most reviewers away, and I nearly put the game down due to it. But after powering though the first couple hours, it really became something special.

Congrats to Bend on being able to create this game with such a small team. It's truly a marvel.

(P.S. If there are any Bend employees here, please make story dlc. I really need more Days Gone in my life).

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of these missions suck complete and utter ass. Got to the new area. First thing? A fuck ton of fetch quests.

Ok.....

Then I fight a horde. Ok cool.

Then RIGHT BACK TO ANOTHER FETCH QUEST.

I really want this game to be over. It does some really cool things. The horde fight was awesome. But I feel like its overstayed its welcome with these cookie cutter missions. This whole "requisition" part of this game is absolutely brutal.

I still think this game has a good foundation, but the house they built on top of it isn't great. I'll still power through and beat it, but I probably won't plat it like I do most Sony FP games. I really just want it to be over so I can move on.

Oct 27, 2017
I've missed an ambush camp somewhere. The trophy hasn't popped yet, I found the ripper one behind the dam that I'd missed and figured that was it so there must be one more somewhere. Can't be more than one surely, I made a point of doing as many as I came across....

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I've missed an ambush camp somewhere. The trophy hasn't popped yet, I found the ripper one behind the dam that I'd missed and figured that was it so there must be one more somewhere. Can't be more than one surely, I made a point of doing as many as I came across....

There are two ambush camps in the area where the rippers are. On the map you can see a summary of each region and what is left.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm still picking away at this game off and on.

How far am I? I doubt anywhere close but I'm in the third camp and just got a knife for the nurse, met up with the nero dude and got his radio and tried to track lisa in that little town looking at her notes.

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say I'm not the biggest fan of the combat. Guns lack oomph and melee feels janky to use. Enemies feel a bit too spongey on normal.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta say I'm not the biggest fan of the combat. Guns lack oomph and melee feels janky to use. Enemies feel a bit too spongey on normal.

That's an issue with the game's structure and skill/weapon gating. The combat is mediocre until you unlock a bunch of abilities in the ranged tree and get better weapons that aren't available until the second half of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
That's an issue with the game's structure and skill/weapon gating. The combat is mediocre until you unlock a bunch of abilities in the ranged tree and get better weapons that aren't available until the second half of the game.
Heh, I think it's a strong part of the game actually! But only once you get a few perks. At first you just suck at everything.

Gotcha...to be fair I am still fairly early I think and I don't have access to the better guns yet so my feelings on the combat can still change! I still think the enemies are too tanky on normal but I could always switch it to easy I suppose.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I just started this game last night. I'm about an hour in and enjoying it. So far it reminds me a bit of TLOU because it hasn't really opened up yet.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gotcha...to be fair I am still fairly early I think and I don't have access to the better guns yet so my feelings on the combat can still change! I still think the enemies are too tanky on normal but I could always switch it to easy I suppose.
The perks are like improved damage for crossbow, so it's one hit kill. And improved aiming with ranged weapons which means you'll miss less. And improved melee damage too. To begin with I tried to stealth everything and never really engaged head on

Oct 27, 2017
Whooooooaaaaaaa, that secret ending. Love it. Bring on the sequel!

I have 18 collectables to find and then the platinum is mine. Not sure if I'll just potter about exploring until I come across them naturally, or if I'll end up using a guide.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
After listening to earlier advice about upgrades and skills, Manage to push through past the third camp and resources really isn't much of a bother anymore and things are so much more manageable. MWS was also made a huge difference as well. I Absolutely got spooked as I randomly walked into that large building near the third camp didn't expect the largest horde I've seen yet. I've only managed to probably wear it down by half even with all the explosives I've used and guessing I'll likely need better planning as improvising doesn't really work and better gun. It's a lot smarter than I took for granted for sure as I was expecting it to funnel through a tunnel but they completely flank on all directions, left right, top Them bursting through the train door actually gave me further fright. I think it's one of the examples where watching all the previous footage seeing A.I and animations individually not that great or doing dumb things but when you're playing and being chased, nobody's going to have time for looking at that stuff.

I really like the story so far, I wished there were more side missions and tasks to complete as I enjoy them and need more Trust. This game really needed better performance. Accessing the menu's can lag and most of the issue's surprising hasn't been fighting hordes but when riding the bike.I'm absolutely having a blast with the bike as traversal so it's disappointing to have performance issues in these instances but despite it, the game is an absolutely stunning looking game with some really nice looking dynamic systems in place. Personally, I think it's probably one of the best looking ones out there with some very good looking in game models. They also did a great job with the amount of randomized events throughout the world. I love seeing random Freakers battling Marauders and one of my favourite moments was doing a mission to take out a marauder camp and conveniently was chased by a horde which I led straight through the middle of their camp which basically did the objective for me. I went from skeptic, mixed of this game before the game released to enjoying aspects once I started to absolutely loving it and enjoy it more than RE2 which was up till now my favourite game of the year.
That's a pain in the ass sure, the gas the bike complaint however...
I have never absolutely understood the gas complaints as you can go pretty far with it every time and upgrades are decent. There's option to buy-refill gas at the camps as well. The only times which it's an annoyance is the Bike chase missions having to use your own fuel and damage but I've never run out of gas before. Absolutely love Detective vision. I'm not walk in a dark gloomy cave the torch can barely light up without it. Particular when there's a chance of a horde inside which happened to me first time I didn't use it so not ever again. I just find it strange that this feature which is in a lot of games tends to be a huge complaint despite being optional.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Wow, what a twist at the end. And the IPCA weapon... a great
Syphon Filter
easter egg.

In the end I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me understand the save system in this game? I'm still really early but I must have lost like 15 min of progress from when I manually saved my game.

In most games when I manually save it would put me right when I saved it, but this one put me back to the most recent cinematic scene.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Can someone help me understand the save system in this game? I'm still really early but I must have lost like 15 min of progress from when I manually saved my game.

In most games when I manually save it would put me right when I saved it, but this one put me back to the most recent cinematic scene.
you cannot save mid mission, only between missions.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinum! First ever.

What a game, loved it so much and now I'm slightly sad that it's basically all over. I could go back and finish the hordes, there are 14 still lurking.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wished I'd waited to play the game on the Survival difficulty. I thought Hard was actually pretty easy after the opening hours. Survival seems like a much more tense mode with the limits it puts on a lot of stuff I admittedly spammed on hard.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I kind of wished I'd waited to play the game on the Survival difficulty. I thought Hard was actually pretty easy after the opening hours. Survival seems like a much more tense mode with the limits it puts on a lot of stuff I admittedly spammed on hard.

Yes, hard is too easy in this and I think Survival mode would improve the gameplay. It's like in TLOU where Survivor was the difficulty it felt like it was meant to be played at.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Whats a good time to take on Horde? I've been in and out of Sawmill a couple of times. I'm still at Trust Level 2 at 3rd camp, so the weapons are still sort of meh. I'll be shit out of luck in the massive horde. No?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Got the Platinum today, my first ever. One of my favorite games of the generation, after around 75 hours, I kind of just want to keep playing. Kudos to Bend, you got me.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Platinum today, my first ever. One of my favorite games of the generation, after around 75 hours, I kind of just want to keep playing. Kudos to Bend, you got me.

Same! Good stuff. Wonder if we'll get any sort of email/theme from Sony?

Also, I never once fast travelled in all my hours and hours of play. Traversal in the bike was very engaging I thought.

Game of the generation for me so far.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how easy a question this is to answer, but is the survival mode in this game similar to the grounded mode in the Last of Us? TLOU became my second favorite game of all time not only due to the story, but because I felt like the combat was some of the best I had ever played for a survival game. I really enjoyed the aspect of having to really save ammo and supplies. Is this game similar in the idea that supplies are limited? Is there no comparison at all between the two games?

I've been looking for a zombie survival game where I'm actually afraid I guess and actually have to sneak around. I liked the aspect of TLOU where I crouch around, look through every single area for ammo or health. Every bullet counts, every supply drop counts. Does this game have that?

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Same! Good stuff. Wonder if we'll get any sort of email/theme from Sony?

Also, I never once fast travelled in all my hours and hours of play. Traversal in the bike was very engaging I thought.

Game of the generation for me so far.

If you're able to, could you give me a quick summation of what you do in the game? I'm thinking of getting the game at 40 dollars but the mediocre reviews have scared me off a bit.