• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
My advice is just keep trying. I watched a lot of tutorial videos and tried for hours, then finally got it. I don't have any secrets or tips, I just kept trying. Good luck, you'll get it!

Finally did it, found a spot outside Hot Springs, right up the hills without many obstacles. Just circled around a big boulder and bam, it popped!

Day 878 and now 1%er :D

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
I have to say, I'm having a lot of fun with the weekly challenges. I've barely removed the game from my PS4 since I got it. It's the game that keeps on giving!

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man I just got the secret ending and wtf is going on there? Weird as fuck! Think I'm now done with the game though, I'm burnt out

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Days Gone and created this video from scenes of my playthrough. No spoilers included (just a few dialogues out of context). Comments about the video what to improve next time are appreciated. Tried to cut it in a way, that it doesn't get boring.

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
Man I just got the secret ending and wtf is going on there? Weird as fuck! Think I'm now done with the game though, I'm burnt out
Same for me, the game was really long (but good, eventually a few too many bounty/fetch tasks). The ending has an interesting cliffhanger, looking forward to part two (guess there'll be one after good sale figures).

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Same for me, the game was really long (but good, eventually a few too many bounty/fetch tasks). The ending has an interesting cliffhanger, looking forward to part two (guess there'll be one after good sale figures).
Yeah I think theyll have learnt a ton from this one too so hopefully the sequel will be a little more refined. I've really enjoyed it though, I'll keep trying the weekly DLC

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
After finishing Gravity Rush 2, I proceeded to clear some challenges.

The horde challenges are pretty damn fun. It takes some time to get a feel for the map, but once you've discovered where everything is, things are so much easier.

Btw, the horde from "keep them safer" is the same they used as a demo, right???

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Man the animation here is abysmal. Jittery, clipping everywhere, lack of feedback. How did they mess it up so badly? Even the original TLOU is miles ahead.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've been playing this for a few weeks now, and it's been alternately a surprising and frustrating experience.

First off, I don't have a lot of gaming time, so when I say "a few weeks" I probably mean about 15 hours' worth of actual game time. I've just rescued someone and brought them to Tucker's camp, and I've cleared one horde (in a train car) that I stumbled on accidentally. That was a fun, desperate fight.

I'm generally pretty conflicted on the game, though, so I felt like setting down my thoughts:
  • Visually, there's almost nothing else like Days Gone. I didn't like Red Dead Redemption 2 as a game, but it's the only other touchstone I have for an experience where so much attention has been lavished on textures and incidental details. Yes, a lot of the secondary character models look like they came from a completely different games, but when it's Deacon, out in the wilds on his bike, and the rain starts falling through the floodlights of a Nero checkpoint, this game looks phenomenal.
  • That level of detail also extends to the worldbuilding and immersion. Everywhere feels dirty and lived-in, and there's mess everywhere - but without it being overdone. Stalking around Marion Forks felt like exploring a genuine post-apocalyptic town, rather than a game-y contrivance of one.
  • I think the shooting, stabbing, running, and trapping all plays and controls well. I mean, MGS5 this isn't, but firing guns feels reliably punchy, and you're given a lot of options for tackling different scenarios. Obviously the hordes are the highlight, where all these mechanics come together, but I also enjoy fighting bandits, rippers, etc. At no point did I feel as though I was playing a B-tier title, gameplay-wise, and toying with the AI by relocating, places traps etc. is always entertaining.
  • In a similar fashion, I think the story and characters were unfairly maligned. The plot is a very slow, naturalistic sort of affair, and everyone's very brusque. I guess that doesn't translate well for an audience that wants cliffhangers and constant suspense, but I liked the slice-of-life thing they have going so far.
  • Where I definitely feel like I'm playing a B-tier title, though, is the bugs. For the first 10 or so hours I figured I'd been smart, coming to the game a few months late, after a load of patches. The open world exploration was flawless, and nothing seemed glitchy or unreliable except the obvious weirdness of the cutscenes that were clearly meant to transition straight to gameplay but then didn't. But the last few hours of play have been really messy. In my most recent missions I've had invisible helicopters, T-pose NPCs, crows stuck in the side of buildings, missing geometry, characters stuck in walls, segments where Deacon's clipping box got turned off somehow, audio cut-outs, disappearing guns, every car on the map being replaced by a blurry box, and two different crashes to the PS4 frontend. It feels like I've hit some kind of save file issue where things just keep getting more and more fucked up, and resetting the console and reverting to a cloud autosave hasn't helped. So far these issues are only happening in story missions, when the game force-changes the time of day, but they're now happening EVERY story mission.
I'm actually really disappointed that this has happened, because up until recently I was ready to align myself with the crowd that calls Days Gone an overlooked / unduly criticised gem. It looks great, it plays well, and I like the way it's structured, but good lord did it need more time in the oven from a QA perspective.

EDIT: One odd thing I forgot to add: dying. I'm playing on hard and I was really enjoying the tension of creeping around, clearing nests etc., until I died. I figured I'd get sent back to a quicksave point, or a safe house, but instead I just got placed back in the same area of the map, with full health and stamina, and lost no progress. Unless I'm missing something (like an XP penalty) then it seems like dying might actually be preferable to healing during open world activities!

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Are you just minimizing the game / putting your PS4 in rest mode between play sessions? I think they never fixed the problem where the game has some kind of memory leak issue and gets buggier the longer the game's been running.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up ordering the game. It's been hovering around the 35 dollar mark which seems decent for this game. I need something to hold me over until modern warfare comes out and this seems perfect. Something I can pick up and play for an hour then come back to over the next 2 months or so.

I really enjoyed Mad Max and there were a lot of comparisons to that so I'm going to assume I'll enjoy this.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Just beat the game today.

Some thoughts on this game.
- What happened to the dog that Boozer kept? Like it was never mentioned or seen after going back north. Really odd unless I missed it. I went to Boozer's cabin and no evidence of a dog living there
-- I honestly thought the dog was going to be used as a method to show how much time Deek spent down south. I figured when you returned up north, the dog was going to be big and still around camp.
--- Bonus: Why the hell did we collect "dog toys". See above. I though Deek was going to take them back to Boozer's dog. I found around 3 of these south.

- The "secret ending", the one with O'Brian. I thought he was going to link the game to Syphon Filter virus. Nope. It was about him being possibly an evolved virus carrying person. Didnt see this coming but I guess I was hyped to see the ending for nothing.

- I wish you could find rare guns. There was once instance you do fight an Anarchist camp and I found Badlands Shotgun or something. This was a level 5 spec gun. You can only buy this from the 4th island when its level 3. But this was like 85% of the way into the game. Made the reacher a piece of cake. Still, killing goons and searching around was tedious and worthless knowing they dont have good guns and carry no ammo. Missed opportunity. Even let me pick up like 5 bullets? Gimme a damn reason to take them out damn it. They have shit ai so they are just wasting your time.

- They should have introduced food and sleep bars. Maybe something like sickness if you dont take shelter from rain or snow. Fueling the bike is fine but it seems silly when you are just a walking tank then.

- Its evident they removed the good/bad choice options. Some scenes feel like you had an option to take but it's taken for you. I think that junky kid who kills the Doc Jimenez...there was a mission where you had to find him. I felt you could have let him go or killed him. Felt so weird. Few things happened this way. There was this girl who joins the 4th camp and then runs away. When you find her, Deek let's her go but its evident you could have taken her back. (Same with the ripper girl)

- What the hell was with Rikki and Deek? So if I'm getting this right, she is Bi. She kinda likes Deek but Deek knows there is something with her and Andy(I think it's her name). So Deek just cuts that shit real quick cuz he still looking for Sarah or something. I dont know if I got that right but it was weird. Nothing wrong with Rikki just the way it was presented. Like it happened quick and then it was done. I feel they needed more time to cook whatever they were trying to portray.

- Why does Deek say "Sorry James (aka Carlos)" when destroying the speaker things? Like Carlos wanted to kill Deek and Boozer. So then you kill him after a bunch of crap. Did Deek turn him into a psycho? Also why is his alias Carlos. Like that's so out of left field lol.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this last week and started in earnest tonight. Just got to the safe house so really early on. Spent about 2 hours in stealth mode for the first mission and it all worked out without alarming any Freakers.

First impressions - it's pretty good so far.
- I don't like how close in proximity story beats and setting is to The Last Of Us but it's expected to a degree considering the subject matter
- gunplay is good...again feels like The Last Of Us (Deacon doesn't seem to be a prolific marksman either)
- movement is more precise and responsive compared to The Last Of Us which is OK
- I need to get used to the wheel of fortune...having to re-select a Rock every time is a pain
- wish that of-the-moment melee attacks would automatically equip my knife (a Newt got me good and proper when I was holding a Rock)

Must say...it's gorgeous. I mean, really gorgeous to look at. A really sharp precise look. Stunning. Can't wait to explore more of Oregon.

Nov 18, 2018
Just beat the game today.

Some thoughts on this game.
- What happened to the dog that Boozer kept? Like it was never mentioned or seen after going back north. Really odd unless I missed it. I went to Boozer's cabin and no evidence of a dog living there
-- I honestly thought the dog was going to be used as a method to show how much time Deek spent down south. I figured when you returned up north, the dog was going to be big and still around camp.
--- Bonus: Why the hell did we collect "dog toys". See above. I though Deek was going to take them back to Boozer's dog. I found around 3 of these south.
The dog is outside Boozer's cabin at Iron Mike's, next to where Boozer sits. You can give him the dog toys you found.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Are you just minimizing the game / putting your PS4 in rest mode between play sessions? I think they never fixed the problem where the game has some kind of memory leak issue and gets buggier the longer the game's been running.
I always close the game, but I do leave the PS4 in rest mode most of the time. I'll try a safe mode boot and database rebuild to see if that helps. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
Man the animation here is abysmal. Jittery, clipping everywhere, lack of feedback. How did they mess it up so badly? Even the original TLOU is miles ahead.

It's a game that looks nice in screenshots but man it doesn't hold up during play. Long loading, frame drops, janky animations everywhere, etc. Just getting on to your bike can be a crap shoot based on Deacon's positioning to the bike.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I'm like 15 hours in i guess and i really have to say that the characters suprised me. They (main and side characters) are suprisingly well made and voiced. Didn't expect to care about the story at all.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Played maybe about 3-4 hours so these impressions are super early. I can definitely see why people say you need to get like 10 hours in for it to start getting better. Feels very basic right now. Not much to unlock in terms of weapons and stuff. Just got to Tucker's camp so there was some weapons to purchase. The game does feel pretty good and has that Mad Max vibe I was hoping for.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Just started last night. Enjoying it although I've already hit two pretty big bugs?

1) It wouldn't let me push the SUV at the beginning of the game until I left the mission area and tried again
2) Blue screen crash on the way to the first camp. And, the last autosave was like 10-15 minutes earlier, so that was kind of annoying.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
How many hordes are in days gone?
Hordes. Freaker Hordes are a prominent hazard in Days Gone. There are a total of 40 Hordes in game, each of them having multiple points they travel between.

How many Freakers are in a horde?
There's three hordes to encounter in the main story, with 40 in total found in the open world. These range from 50-500 Freakers, and they're persistent; if you take on a 300-strong pack and kill 100 of them, then the remaining 200 will still be out there if you run off.

Do hordes Respawn In days gone?
There are 40 zombie hordes in Days Gone that are related to the story. When you eliminate these hordes, they are completely wiped out from the game & will not respawn. However, if you only defeat a portion of these hordes, they will grow back in number over time.
How do I track how many have been permanently eliminated?

Just started last night. Enjoying it although I've already hit two pretty big bugs?

1) It wouldn't let me push the SUV at the beginning of the game until I left the mission area and tried again
2) Blue screen crash on the way to the first camp. And, the last autosave was like 10-15 minutes earlier, so that was kind of annoying.
I got the first one too. The 'Square' pro,pt never displayed itself so I could progress. Left for the following day it was there. Really worried my game completely broken and I'd need to do some drastic re-install!

Anyone know if there's a quick way of switching between a Rock and your Knife? Using the wheel takes me out of the moment too much.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
It's treated like an endgame activity, so they don't get tracked until towards the end. I wouldn't recommend trying to clear them out until after the game introduces a mission to take one out as part of the story.
Ah right, thanks. I saw on the map screen the number of remaining Hordes (per area) but I'll wait it out until I hit that mission.

It's a shame they respawn until the whole Horde is eliminated. I've been really stealthy and eliminating them one-by-one so far but it's all for nothing.

Also, anyone else just walk everywhere? I haven't used the bike since I could leave it at the safehouse.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Also, anyone else just walk everywhere? I haven't used the bike since I could leave it at the safehouse.
I only use the bike to cover big distances. I tend to then leave it way outside the area I'm actually going to, fully fuelled in case I need to make a getaway, but otherwise it spends a lot of its time hidden in bushes.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I meant to ask this when I completed the game but is this the first game to rip off
The red dead Mexico music moment ? I Cant think of another game that has done something like that since (except Red dead 2

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I only use the bike to cover big distances. I tend to then leave it way outside the area I'm actually going to, fully fuelled in case I need to make a getaway, but otherwise it spends a lot of its time hidden in bushes.
Yeah...so far it hasn't been a requirement to gameplay. Additionally I much prefer to take in the wonderful visuals at a steady pace rather than ride through it all.

The game is straight up stunning.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
So wow...I haven't completed the game but no more campaign story missions?

I've got a couple of side-missions and 'jobs' but that's it. Where's the main beef gone? It's like the story just stopped.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Never mind. My game bugged out.

It took ages for the next mission to pop-up, my Rock throws were bugged (no longer useful) and when I returned to Tucker (separate incident) nothing happened, even though the game asked me too. Had to restart.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
This game is really growing on me. The story is getting interesting, and there's something satisfying about completing all these missions, clearing camps, etc. I feel noticeably stronger after each NERO upgrade and skill point.

I don't think I'm strong enough to take on a horde yet, but I see myself getting there.

First few hours of the game were a 7.5/10 for me, but it's well into 8 territory now.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game months ago when it first went for sale on psn for 40. I put like 10 hours into it and like every game I just stopped. Then randomly last week I started up again and forced myself to play and have been loving the shit out of it. I think scores this got are too low but it's kinda understandable since the first 15 hours are kinda boring. The more stronger you get the more fun it got. I think a sequel can really knock it out the park with this foundation.

Quick question, I'm about an hour in the southern most region where it said you can return north for a while, do I have a shit load to go?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game months ago when it first went for sale on psn for 40. I put like 10 hours into it and like every game I just stopped. Then randomly last week I started up again and forced myself to play and have been loving the shit out of it. I think scores this got are too low but it's kinda understandable since the first 15 hours are kinda boring. The more stronger you get the more fun it got. I think a sequel can really knock it out the park with this foundation.

Quick question, I'm about an hour in the southern most region where it said you can return north for a while, do I have a shit load to go?

The Crater Lake area? If so you're about 60-70% complete at that point.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Crater Lake area? If so you're about 60-70% complete at that point.
Jesus this game is so long. The ripper story line coming to an end almost felt like an ending. But I know I will miss the ride once it ends. Also I haven't really poked around much with the challenges but noticed the last one is not available yet, did they hint what it's supposed to be?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus this game is so long. The ripper story line coming to an end almost felt like an ending. But I know I will miss the ride once it ends. Also I haven't really poked around much with the challenges but noticed the last one is not available yet, did they hint what it's supposed to be?

Yeah, it seems like the end once you first reach there, but then when everything starts coming together you realize how big that area is and just how many storylines start coming together. It takes up a good chunk of the game. But it's one of the most enjoyable areas since by that point Deacon and your bike area almost fully upgraded, so you're capable of a lot more as well.

As far as the last challenge goes, it's a spoiler so i'd imagine that's why it's not available for you yet.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the secret ending.
I said what the fuck out loud then deacon said the same thing. This game is surprise top 3 easily so far this year. Give me the sequel with the jump in quality from something like uncharted 1 to 2.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
This is the third game I have platinumed in my life, behind God of War and Spider Man. It grows on you, and gets better and better. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with the characters and the story. I got so hooked and finished it in about two weeks. I feel like the next iteration could fix my biggest gripe: cinematics. Sometimes they cut off weirdly and for an unknown reason (the theory that there was supposed to be some gameplay in between makes sense). Also, it was buggy, but never unplayable. The worst thing that happened was the frame rate drop. Never with the hordes though, it was always near the 4th camp (blanking on the name). Other than that, I highly recommend it.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad how it really starts getting special at iron Mike's. The whole beginning hurt the game a lot and hope a sequel starts you off in a better place facing hordes earlier on.
Yeah I agree that's when the game really clicked. The story got more interesting, there are some actual likable characters, you've got some decent bike upgrades so you're not constantly on the lookout for gas, and you are leveled enough to not be a total pushover.

Really excited to pick up tonight to see where the story goes... although I also want to hit the ambush camps / NERO sites in the region.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum today. Maybe I'll mess around with some challenges before I shelf the game permanently. If theres no sequel planned then give me my story dlc now.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like there's some kind of aim lock on when aiming. Do you guys leave it on, which it is by default or turn it off?

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the reviews, decided to just loan it from a local library, finally got it and almost didn't have enough time to complete it in the two weeks of time I had with it.

Played most of it with 1.51 patch included, and while I really enjoyed the motion aiming added in a recent patch, the game still crashed five times for me. Just a straight error and crash.

The graphics were quite nice, particularly the environments and the ground textures. Animations and characters including lip sync not so much.

The story was all over the place, the pacing and the acting of the characters varied wildly between scenes and character motivations were not often realistic.

The controls were actually quite nice, it was easy to control Deek after getting the hang of things. I never really died or did anything I didn't intend to, which happened A LOT in RDR2.

Completed the main story (secret mission included) and killed off about five hordes, thought I got what I wanted out of the game and returned it to the library.

68p, hopefully the sequel will be better.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing this quite often over the last week or two. I'm really digging it, I was worried I wouldn't like it due the open world style, but I'm having fun. I just got to
Iron Mike's

Did a couple missions there, I've taken on and beat small horde so far. I found another in a cave, but I wasn't prepared at all so I bailed on that one. It didn't look like a huge one, so I may go back once I get a hold of some pipe bombs and grenades.

The game looks great on the PRO, controls well, the biggest annoyance for me so far is the weapon wheel. Often it just doesn't click over to what I actually want. While taking on a boss, I was trying to craft some health packs I the dumb thing just wouldn't click into the section I needed.

Not sure how much of a dent I've made in the game as it seems huge, but yeah, I've been having a blast.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So,are there any impressions of the new Hard II and Survival II difficulty settings.....I read that hard mode wasn't really that hard before,does this new setting alter things much?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This game is really starting to drag now. I feel like I might be approaching the end of the Lost Lake story missions (I've just taken out some wolves with Schizzo) and as much as I enjoy the combat and the setting, there hasn't been anything "new" to do in a good fifteen hours or so.

I suspect I'm a slow player, because I've done every side mission, every infestation, every camp etc. as it's come up, and explored all the three areas available so far... but I'm easily 35 hours into the game and the thought of there being the same amount of these samey activities again is really dragging down my motivation to carry on playing. Polishing off an ambush camp and getting a "You're 50% through the ambush camp storyline!" pop-up after this much time is just so deflating.

I've also been using the same weapon loadout for what feels like 20 hours at this point. The MWS assault rifle, crossbow, and a pistol with a silencer. I tried the Crowdbreaker shotgun, and it was fine, but being able to silence both the assault rifle and the pistol means you can clear out almost any camp before you're even noticed.

I'm definitely going to play until I hit the next area, but if it doesn't at least try to mix things up a bit, I think I'm going to have to call it quits. I've had a good time with the game, and I don't want to sour on it by repeating the same stuff for another 30 hours.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
This game is really starting to drag now. I feel like I might be approaching the end of the Lost Lake story missions (I've just taken out some wolves with Schizzo) and as much as I enjoy the combat and the setting, there hasn't been anything "new" to do in a good fifteen hours or so.

I suspect I'm a slow player, because I've done every side mission, every infestation, every camp etc. as it's come up, and explored all the three areas available so far... but I'm easily 35 hours into the game and the thought of there being the same amount of these samey activities again is really dragging down my motivation to carry on playing. Polishing off an ambush camp and getting a "You're 50% through the ambush camp storyline!" pop-up after this much time is just so deflating.

I've also been using the same weapon loadout for what feels like 20 hours at this point. The MWS assault rifle, crossbow, and a pistol with a silencer. I tried the Crowdbreaker shotgun, and it was fine, but being able to silence both the assault rifle and the pistol means you can clear out almost any camp before you're even noticed.

I'm definitely going to play until I hit the next area, but if it doesn't at least try to mix things up a bit, I think I'm going to have to call it quits. I've had a good time with the game, and I don't want to sour on it by repeating the same stuff for another 30 hours.
I would say take a break once you hit the point of no return. There is one at the end of lost lake camp arc. The next part of the story after this feels very different from the part you are playing and almost feels like a sequel so you will not lose anything by taking a break until you feel the itch for more gameplay. This way you will mot burn out ad the activities in the mext part aren't that different.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I would say take a break once you hit the point of no return. There is one at the end of lost lake camp arc. The next part of the story after this feels very different from the part you are playing and almost feels like a sequel so you will not lose anything by taking a break until you feel the itch for more gameplay. This way you will mot burn out ad the activities in the mext part aren't that different.
Thanks for this. I'll definitely persevere until the point of no return, then I'll see how I feel. I definitely have other games vying for my attention, which doesn't help.