• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
About the latest Days Gone delay...

It has very little to do with "polish" and more to do with giving the ip it's own launch window. This is confirmed by Sam Witwer at the 34:40 - 35:40 minute mark.

In the bigger scheme of things this might turn out to be a crucial decision if the game resonates.

I mean Sony even mention this themselves

We want to share a change in release date for this highly anticipated title from Bend Studio. We recently decided to move the release of Days Gone from the crowded February timeframe to April 26, 2019. While the studio is eager to see Days Gone in the hands of fans, Bend Studio will take the opportunity to further polish Days Gone.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...os-release-lineup-the-next-wave-of-ps4-games/

Mar 29, 2018

It has very little to do with "polish" and more to do with giving the ip it's own launch window. This is confirmed by Sam Witwer at the 34:40 - 35:40 minute mark.

In the bigger scheme of things this might turn out to be a crucial decision if the game resonates.

Means it should be mega polished, then!

Mar 29, 2018
I hope you are right, but after youtubers impressions on PAX I think this game will set review scores around 70-75.

They say the gameplay is really clunk and the AI is really bad. So I don`t have many hopes.
Why are you only looking at YouTubers?

Literally ever written preview I saw (like tens of them) were very positive about the game. Didn't say anything about clunkiness or AI, just talked about how compelling the systems and world were.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
What me makes optimistic about the story is that the game seems to go day by day over a longer time.
With that xx days gone on the map.

That reminds me on Persona games and they have a very well done story.

Mar 29, 2018
What me makes optimistic about the story is that the game seems to go day by day over a longer time.
With that xx days gone on the map.

That reminds me on Persona games and they have a very well done story.
Yep the structure of the story being more like a longform TV drama that plays out over an open world - unlike something like TLoU which is very cinema-like or State of Decay which is very systemic - is really appealing.

I don't see the Persona comparison at all, though. Persona has a tight and restrictive daily routine and calendar system which is tied to the game's gameplay loop, structure and mechanics. I'm sure the "XX days gone" aspect will impact Days Gone's gameplay, but nowhere near as much as Persona's calendar structure.

But I mean more importantly Persona are anime-like JRPGs (with all the trappings that implies) focused on mythology, rather than cinematic gritty western narratives.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm team 83+ on meta

And also team 3 Million in it's first month. Guaranteeing us a sequel, which is what I care about most.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Yep the structure of the story being more like a longform TV drama that plays out over an open world - unlike something like TLoU which is very cinema-like or State of Decay which is very systemic - is really appealing.

I don't see the Persona comparison at all, though. Persona has a tight and restrictive daily routine and calendar system which is tied to the game's gameplay loop, structure and mechanics. I'm sure the "XX days gone" aspect will impact Days Gone's gameplay, but nowhere near as much as Persona's calendar structure.

But I mean more importantly Persona are anime-like JRPGs (with all the trappings that implies) focused on mythology, rather than cinematic gritty western narratives.

Yeah, the calender system will not be restrictive like Persona but that day over day structure could be very good for Days Gone story.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why are you only looking at YouTubers?

Literally ever written preview I saw (like tens of them) were very positive about the game. Didn't say anything about clunkiness or AI, just talked about how compelling the systems and world were.
There were a wide ranging mix of previews, but some did mention some jank.
Despite being 'alpha' (i.e. decidedly unfinished) code, the 30-minute slice of Days Gone we went hands-on with was shonky in the extreme.

The frame rate didn't so much dip as snorkel; a firefight descended into farce when enemies got stuck in bits of scenery; the camera occasionally took on a life of its own; and one NPC popped up and then immediately disappeared again seemingly via powers of teleportation.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...18-hands-on-preview-wheels-coming-ps4-zombie/
It's a messy game, this, which fits the theme, but isn't always a good thing. In my brief go I struggled to get the camera, aiming and Deacon's movement, all of which succumb to laggy drift, to line up. Choppy performance didn't help. Faced with the zerg-rush zombies, I found it easier to wade into the fray with melee weapons, although the baseball bats and table legs I could find had extremely low durability, and it all got a bit slapstick. I didn't have so much trouble picking off the armed survivalists at a rival encampment with my pistol and a purloined shotgun. Their behaviours were easy to predict and the combat seemed to work more smoothly at range. But it could have been any firefight in any collection of rusty corrugated lean-tos in any game of the last decade. It doesn't feel like Days Gone is going to distinguish itself with refined combat mechanics - but then again, how many sprawling open-world games do?
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-21-days-gones-e3-demo-shows-scant-signs-of-life

I assume this is the same alpha build that was playable at PAX. I suspect most, if not all, of this stuff will have been fixed in the last year though.

One thing is for certain, whatever happens this will still be light years ahead of State of Decay 2 when it comes to jank and clunkiness.

Mar 29, 2018

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...18-hands-on-preview-wheels-coming-ps4-zombie/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-21-days-gones-e3-demo-shows-scant-signs-of-life

I assume this is the same alpha build that was playable at PAX. I suspect most, if not all, of this stuff will have been fixed in the last year though.

One thing is for certain, whatever happens this will still be light years ahead of State of Decay 2 when it comes to jank and clunkiness.
Nice, thanks for the references.

Hopefully the extra few months of dev really let them nail all these minor issues.

Heh, yeah, I <3 State of Decay but it feels like a mid-'00s game in terms of jank a lot of the time.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I going with...whatever score it gets.

Feeling good about my bet.

Seriously I'm really looking forward Days gone, strangely even more exited for it after playing Metro exodus.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Especially in the story department... Such a disappointment and missed opportunity from Undead Labs..

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why does every damn DG thread become an RDR2 thread, and why does Anthony Hopkins hold the first open world game by a smallish studio to the same standard as one of the most expensive, polished open world games of all time by a world renowned open world studio in just about every DG thread?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Staying with an 85+ MC/OC prediction and 5M+ in sales between April 26th and whatever the date is that ends the month of May. It will also easily win the month of April in best game and best selling game. :)

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
They have events going on everywhere worldwide

It's like a Pandemic of awesome!

That's not what I got from what he said. He seemed excited about why it was delayed, but couldn't say why. Aside from just polishing the game, he seemed excited about something else, like they used the extra time to add more content to the game to hone it to perfection.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's like a Pandemic of awesome!

That's not what I got from what he said. He seemed excited about why it was delayed, but couldn't say why. Aside from just polishing the game, he seemed excited about something else, like they used the extra time to add more content to the game to hone it to perfection.

There seems to be DLC post launch so perhaps they have been working on extra content

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well I'm guilty of bringing up RDR2 in this particular thread, but it does happen in most of them.

When trying to discuss what we want and what we don't want it's easiest to use another game as a point of comparison and RDR2 is the most recent and closest example that most people would know about. It can be useful as a mutual point of reference when discussing of Days Gone. Sometimes the discussions can go a bit too far, but then again I suppose we're going to have to wait 2 weeks for info from these events anyways so some slightly off-topic discussions isn't going to hurt much IMO.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
A vast, vast, vast majority of games - if you boil it down to its basics, are extremely repetitive. Go somewhere, engage with its core mechanics ( shooting/fighting/etc), rinse repeat.

What the best games do are give you an illusion to reduce its sense of repetitiveness or to make it fun despite its repetition.

Games like The Witcher 3 does it by making the storytelling, performance, etc really compelling that even though it's functionally the same detective-vision-tracking quest as say, Horizon and other games, it's less annoying than other games that borrow the mechanics, but not the same quality of narrative framing.

Oct 25, 2017
A vast, vast, vast majority of games - if you boil it down to its basics, are extremely repetitive. Go somewhere, engage with its core mechanics ( shooting/fighting/etc), rinse repeat.

What the best games do are give you an illusion to reduce its sense of repetitiveness or to make it fun despite its repetition.

Games like The Witcher 3 does it by making the storytelling, performance, etc really compelling that even though it's functionally the same detective-vision-tracking quest as say, Horizon and other games, it's less annoying than other games that borrow the mechanics, but not the same quality of narrative framing.
Agreed.

The best games make you enjoy doing the same thing over and over again.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EVERY game is repetitive. The Witcher III, God of War, Horizon, BOTW, Bloodborne, RDR 2, MGS V, AC, FC, COD/BF, SMO, etc. Doesn't matter what game it is or what genre it is. They are ALL repetitive. It simply comes down to "are you enjoying the gameplay loop and what you're doing in that gameplay loop to keep doing it over and over and over again until you conclude the game?". That's basically what it comes down to.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The only real issue for this game is that the actual setting could be perceived as uninspired(third person post apocalyptic zombie game). From what i can tell, the game itself has huge amounts of effort put into it by the team in terms of actual quality and production value

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping this game ends up surprising everyone .

Remember Sony's gaming philosophy: First.Best. Must.

Days Gone only fits the second criterion.

I'll still be up to my eyeballs in Sekiro when this drops but for some reason these last few vids have really sparked my interest in the game.

I've stopped following MC scores but I'm hoping it ends up being an essential title.

Havent all of Sony's non-launch titles knocked it outta the park this gen? Why should Days Gone be any different?

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the game has multiple endings?
Yep.
Days Gone's main storyline (which the studio says is probably closer to 30+ hours) will revolve around three subplots. The first focuses on Deacon, offering a drip-feed of revelations about who he is and what he's been through, including playable flashback sequences. The second focuses on Deacon's relationship with his tattooed biker brother, Boozer. These missions include player-driven choices that affect how Boozer feels about you, and even lead to different endings. The final storyline involves NERO, the National Emergency Response Organization that is researching the infection and its bloodthirsty carriers. Garvin hopes that having multiple avenues to explore will keep players engaged for the long haul. "It's almost like having these three storylines that intertwine and the player is constantly bouncing between them," Garvin says. "It's a classic novelistic technique...when the player starts getting bored with Boozer, boom, that's when this other thing's happening. And when they get bored with that, this other thing happens."

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...gone-differs-from-other-open-world-games.aspx

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I predict a 74 on Metacritic.

May pick it up, have an itch for a zombie game and haven't turned on my PS4 since the Spider-man DLC

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Always wondered what they do with all the TV's they use for preview events after.

Which is me saying they surely wouldn't miss one if it fell my way!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Always wondered what they do with all the TV's they use for preview events after.

Which is me saying they surely wouldn't miss one if it fell my way!
Their event organiser packs them back away in to boxes and ships them back to base along with everything else. It's not very exciting.
EVERY game is repetitive. The Witcher III, God of War, Horizon, BOTW, Bloodborne, RDR 2, MGS V, AC, FC, COD/BF, SMO, etc. Doesn't matter what game it is or what genre it is. They are ALL repetitive. It simply comes down to "are you enjoying the gameplay loop and what you're doing in that gameplay loop to keep doing it over and over and over again until you conclude the game?". That's basically what it comes down to.
I suppose you could say there's a difference between a game being repetitive and feeling repetitive. Most games are the former, some are the latter.

For me, it's not only gameplay mechanics, but also visual diversity as key in preventing the feeling of the latter. Some open world games have the issue where it all feels like one big world of the same thing, with very little variety. Compared to a linear game where there's more of a feeling of adventure and different environments to keep things interesting. Open world games like HZD, N:A and BotW are particularly good because they cram so many different environments in to their worlds. The problem is we keep seeing the same environment in Days Gone, and as beautiful as it is, I really want to see more variety. But that said we've seen an incredibly small snippet of the game - 2 missions I think, of a 20+ hour campaign.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Since the first gameplay demo I have seen until the most recent I see 2 problems with this game :

- The controls (maybe also because of the view and camera system). you have to deal with fast ennemies around you, particularly behind you, and it's visibly a pain to move around and quickly turn around. In most demos I have seen, either people would fail and struggle because of this, or the developers knew exactly where the ennemies were so they could always position themself in the right angle while running just before the next encounter, but that's cheating.

- Character's faces (friends, ennemies, zombies) all look very similar, like if they all belonged to the same family. I think this is one of the reason the game is labelled as generic by many. The characters faces (not the gameplay or settings) are generic.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well today was the original release DG but I think April going to work much better in their favor.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have not been so interested how a game is going to be received in a long time, I'm kind of hyped for the game, almost even more hyped for the review thread, it's going to be a shit show no matter how the game is reviewed.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm excited to enter towns and neighborhoods and go scavenging! It's just creepy cool to go into buildings and homes where people used to live and thrive only to see it abandoned and empty; full of once important things to scrounge through for supplies to get ourselves by to the next day.