• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I love that new IP hype.

Just like with Horizon, it's new and different and nervous and exciting. You just don't get the same feeling from a big sequel to an established IP.

Hope it does well because it's been on the up and up so far. Every new video just makes the game look better and better.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that new IP hype.

Just like with Horizon, it's new and different and nervous and exciting. You just don't get the same feeling from a big sequel to an established IP.

Hope it does well because it's been on the up and up so far. Every new video just makes the game look better and better.
Same. That's so great about Sony 1st party. They like doing new IPs, instead of using the same IPs and characters over and over and over again. A healthy mix is just perfect.

I don't think anyone expects Days Gone to be a 90+ rated game. Horizon didn't even do that although it was very close. I think most of us who are excited for it feel it will be an 80+ rated game though and that's perfectly fine.
Yep. I expect an average score around ~80 (78-82). Which is really good and a nice AAA start for Bend Studio :)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Big open world zombie game with better story presentation / higher budget than its nearest resemblances. This game will do quite well.
I suspect quality wise it will slide right in there next to Metro Exodus. Not upper echelon like RE2 but not low as some other recent disappointments.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
mashathebeartvja2.png

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
Who is expecting GoW level of critical reception though? I think people will be up for disappointment if that's what they are expecting going into, but that doesn't mean it will be bad, no publisher can publish only +90 rated games.
I'd be happy with upper 70's to low 80's. Doesn't need to be a masterpiece. I could see it being low to mid 70's though. I still think it's day one for me as long as the reviews are super bad. Here's hoping!

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has mostly gained my trust with their exclusives. I hope they're able to keep that up going into next gen. Cinematic story telling with some fun zombie stuff sounds really fun. Plus I loved sons of anarchy so that will be fun to think about while playing.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
That weekend will be great too. Seeing avengers Thursday night, come home, start playing days gone, 4 day weekend. Just want the reviews to be legit so the hype I've gained doesn't get killed.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know why folks get hung up on this. It's an in-universe name for the enemies. Why does it bother folks that this universe uses a different name than another one?
It requires a certain suspension of disbelief that these universes exist in a timeline where a culturally ubiquitous term like "zombie" wouldn't exist. More so when it's something that sounds really silly and when the world itself is aiming for a level of groundedness.

It might make more sense if it was faster/easier to say and you needed to yell it out in an emergency.

I know if there was a postmodern tale about vampires and they called them something like "bloodthirsters" or "sang-suckers", I'd give 'em side eye, too. Overall, it's a minor thing, but it's still funny, especially if there are scenes you're supposed to take seriously.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We'll know closer to launch when we see how extensive advertising is but these big preview events near to launch are common for Sony's big first party titles. This game also got several showings at E3 and has had a decent amount of coverage between Game Informer to the latest series of trailers. They certainly aren't skimping.

Oct 25, 2017
It requires a certain suspension of disbelief that these universes exist in a timeline where a culturally ubiquitous term like "zombie" wouldn't exist. More so when it's something that sounds really silly and when the world itself is aiming for a level of groundedness.

It might make more sense if it was faster/easier to say and you needed to yell it out in an emergency.

I know if there was a postmodern tale about vampires and they called them something like "bloodthirsters" or "sang-suckers", I'd give 'em side eye, too. Overall, it's a minor thing, but it's still funny, especially if there are scenes you're supposed to take seriously.

I'm sure the word zombie exists in this universe. However, I'm not sure in a universe with different kinds of zombies, you don't come up with nicknames for them based on their traits?

You're not gonna just call stuff fast-zombie, slow-zombie and child-zombie. You can assign them nicknames based on differentiating factors, or just what becomes a popular way of referring to a specific type, all the while acknowledging that they are like zombies.

Freakers just happens to be an in-universe name for one type of zombie enemy. It's no different then differentiating between a bloater and a clicker in the Last of Us. Both are infected zombie like creatures, but both warrant much different names.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I'm sure the word zombie exists in this universe. However, I'm not sure in a universe with different kinds of zombies, you don't come up with nicknames for them based on their traits?

You're not gonna just call stuff fast-zombie, slow-zombie and child-zombie. You can assign them nicknames based on differentiating factors, or just what becomes a popular way of referring to a specific type, all the while acknowledging that they are like zombies.

Freakers just happens to be an in-universe name for one type of zombie enemy. It's no different then differentiating between a bloater and a clicker in the Last of Us. Both are infected zombie like creatures, but both warrant much different names.

This. Could not have put it better.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Off topic but can I upgrade my Amazon pre-order of this to the Digital Deluxe version or do I have to cancel it first? Will I get the gift card money back if I cancel?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Calling it now, Days Gone is gonna surpass Red Dead Redemption 2 as an overall game :)

Excited to sink my teeth into this game. Given everything they've shown so far it's amazing to think that we've only seen events from the first 1.5 hours out of the 40ish hour campaign.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling it now, Days Gone is gonna surpass Red Dead Redemption 2 as an overall game :)

Excited to sink my teeth into this game. Given everything they've shown so far it's amazing to think that we've only seen events from the first 1.5 hours out of the 40ish hour campaign.
Let's not get carried away. Bend simply doesn't have the resources to create a world on par with RDR2

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We'll know closer to launch when we see how extensive advertising is but these big preview events near to launch are common for Sony's big first party titles. This game also got several showings at E3 and has had a decent amount of coverage between Game Informer to the latest series of trailers. They certainly aren't skimping.

I meant to say that, yes, by all means this is a AAA production.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Let's not get carried away. Bend simply doesn't have the resources to create a world on par with RDR2

Maybe not in terms of having a billion random puzzles and tiny encounters throughout the world, but in terms of a proper gameplay experience what I've seen of Days Gone so far makes me more excited than what I experienced in RDR2. Proper freedom to carry out tasks with multiple ways to handle situations without being forced to play in a relatively narrow on the rails manner is GREATLY appreciated and will go a long way towards making it feel fresher than RDR2.

There've been more than enough commentary on why RDR2's gameplay is not very good (bad mission structure, poor shooting mechanics, spending 75% of the game riding your horse, horrible fast travel...) and Days Gone looks like it surpasses RDR2 in all of those areas. It makes me VERY hopeful based on what we've seen so far.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Early March for previews,so yeah same formula as GOW

Yeah I was calling this. Sony basically has a strategy and it works for them. Well I suppose the games generally being really good and good looking also is a big part of that but they're really gotten this down pat as to building hype for their big releases.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was calling this. Sony basically has a strategy and it works for them. Well I suppose the games generally being really good and good looking also is a big part of that but they're really gotten this down pat as to building hype for their big releases.
One month full of trailers ,another one with wedding invites and a trailer, now the preview stuff next month.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One month full of trailers ,another one with wedding invites and a trailer, now the preview stuff next month.

They've actually done a lot more for Days Gone than they usually do for even their other big first party games. Maybe because its a brand new IP that doesn't stand out quite as much as Horizon Zero Dawn did from a studio that isn't nearly as well known. That or they've seen that the game can be another monster hit.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very surprised at the marketing dollar being thrown at this game. (In a good way)

Was expecting for it to be swept under the rug like Crackdown after the negative E3 turnout.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Very surprised at the marketing dollar being thrown at this game. (In a good way)

Was expecting for it to be swept under the rug like Crackdown after the negative E3 turnout.
Why would you expect that? Genuinely confused by this comment lol. What happened at E3?