• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well I can name 20 games that I had way more fun with this gen than RDR2 (which I finished at 85% completion). Currently having more fun with Metro Exodus than RDR2 will ever give me. And I know for a fact that Days Gone is also gonna give me way more fun. RDR is the most overrated and overhyped game this generation, by far, in my opinion.

"RDR2 is overrated" seems to be the gaming equivalent of "I'm vegan". Everyone feels the need to share it with the thinnest of excuses.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
yea the previous trailer was originally running at 60fps, but sony cut the framerate back 30fps now, which probably means that trailer wasnt even running on a PS4....

What I meant to add further is, could the game some kind of frame rate enhancements for the Pro version? Not like an actual 60fps, but more like an uncapped frame rate like the one Rise of the Tomb Raider did!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
yea the previous trailer was originally running at 60fps, but sony cut the framerate back 30fps now, which probably means that trailer wasnt even running on a PS4....
Unless it's a 1080p high-framerate mode? What was the resolution in the 60fps trailer?

Not that I'd touch unlocked framerates with a barge-pole (without VRR).

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I mean, not really? If anything, other than visuals, animations, sound design, etc - Bend's game feels like it's being more ambitious than even some of other Sony's AAA titles.

- Decently sized open world game. ( Based off the rough estimate of the size of one hub and the fogged map that was in previous teasers, the size of the world will be substantial enough to be believably sold as an open world game, even if not AssCreed or RDR2 levels for obvious reasons )
- Day/night cycle with weather patterns
- 30 hour long story campaign ( according to the devs, even if we trim it down to hyperbole and it's actually only 20-hours - it's still substantial )
- At least 4 different combat-related open-world activities ( hordes/human enemy camps/freaker breeding grounds/NERO checkpoints)
- At least several typical open-world style activities ( side-quest/collectibles/towers/bikes/etc)
-Pitched or positioned to be a rather 'dynamic' open world, one where enemies have movement patterns and a degree of randomness. ( enemies will sleep at different times of the day, stronger in cold weather, will move around the map, won't just be in one location, etc etc )

I have certain areas of concern with Days Gone even now ( tightness of gunplay, lack of hipfire which imo could make horde clearing unfun, poor sound design, and animation that isn't as visceral or well-animated as the WWS peers ), but otherwise it looks to be plenty worthy even just looking at its checklist of features.

I hope the side missions aren't just a bunch of Ubisoft style repeat activities.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
"RDR2 is overrated" seems to be the gaming equivalent of "I'm vegan". Everyone feels the need to share it with the thinnest of excuses.

Thinnest of excuses? I don't think poor controls and gameplay and outdated mission design on top of that are the thinnest of excuses. A fantastic story and wonderful open world unfortunately have blinded a lot of people including the media, but no me.

As for the Days Gone reviews, I'm happy with everything above a 70, as long as the gameplay and open world are good. I wouldn't mind if it's story get's criticized. I just hope the game is polished and really fun and addictive to play.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Unless it's a 1080p high-framerate mode? What was the resolution in the 60fps trailer?

Not that I'd touch unlocked framerates with a barge-pole (without VRR).
What I meant to add further is, could the game some kind of frame rate enhancements for the Pro version? Not like an actual 60fps, but more like an uncapped frame rate like the one Rise of the Tomb Raider did!
it was running at 4k60fps, not 1080p. no way it was running on a PS4 or a PS4Pro.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Rise of the Tomb Raider looked and felt like absolute horseshit on the high framerate mode. Texture shimmering was all over the place. I played for 5 minutes and immediately switched to the graphics mode that felt way more steady and looked very clean.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get why this game gets so much flack. From the very first few reveals / trailer I thought this game looked good and would be a hit and yet from the comments online people seem to think this game is an afterthought or write it off.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
well, Era is sometimes definitely treating it like a lesser project.
i will say though, i am postively surprised. their wording for this event is pretty much the same as God of War's, so sony seems to treat this event the same as they did for the others.

Remember what happened last time we judged a Sony AAA?

Horizon came out and blew everyone's minds.

I for one trust Sony Bend, Sony is growing their team and the office so I have no doubt that this game will be good.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Remember what happened last time we judged a Sony AAA?

Horizon came out and blew everyone's minds.

I for one trust Sony Bend, Sony is growing their team and the office so I have no doubt that this game will be good.
I think the difference is that HZD wasn't getting poor hands-ons and previews, and wasn't delayed almost a year as a result of them. The HZD negativity was (AFAICR) only from forum dwellers who had never had any time with the game.

But all the recent footage makes it clear they've used that time wisely, and it looks vastly improved over the GI gameplay we saw last year. Sony knows what they're doing and I expect the game will turn out just fine.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think the difference is that HZD wasn't getting poor hands-ons and previews, and wasn't delayed almost a year as a result of them. The HZD negativity was (AFAICR) only from forum dwellers who had never had any time with the game.

But all the recent footage makes it clear they've used that time wisely, and it looks vastly improved over the GI gameplay we saw last year. Sony knows what they're doing and I expect the game will turn out just fine.
however, horizon didnt have that many early build preview iirc. so couldnt it just be because they played an unfinished version? the QA team for horizon was critcizing the game a ton pre launch and told the developers it isnt fun. they managed to turn it around since then.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
however, horizon didnt have that many early build preview iirc. so couldnt it just be because they played an unfinished version? the QA team for horizon was critcizing the game a ton pre launch and told the developers it isnt fun. they managed to turn it around since then.
But it wasn't an early build preview at the time, because Days Gone was going to launch last year. But yes, as I said in my post, I expect it'll have turned around since last year in a big way. The recent footage shows quite the transformation.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

We didn't see half the gameplay we saw with Days Gone before Horizon came thou.

Either way the game is almost gold, and it's looking better by the day in terms of gameplay mechanics

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

The game got in the first half of 2018 an announcement for Feb 22th...

And where are all these poor hands on and previews ?
The stability got criticized but mostly everyone said that's ok because the launch is far away...

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, looking forward to reading some impressions.

Thinnest of excuses? I don't think poor controls and gameplay and outdated mission design on top of that are the thinnest of excuses. A fantastic story and wonderful open world unfortunately have blinded a lot of people including the media, but no me.

As for the Days Gone reviews, I'm happy with everything above a 70, as long as the gameplay and open world are good. I wouldn't mind if it's story get's criticized. I just hope the game is polished and really fun and addictive to play.

"Thinnest of excuses" as in people need to state how they think RDR2 is overrated in any conversation they can hop in, because it paints them different from the pack who are easily blinded.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the side missions aren't just a bunch of Ubisoft style repeat activities.
The game is really not focus on side activities
Most open-world games bombard you with an endless array of quest givers and side activities, a scattershot approach to world building that muddies the main storyline and characters. While Days Gone still offers plenty of gameplay loops to keep Deacon busy, the vast majority of scripted missions and characters are focused on the golden path.
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...gone-differs-from-other-open-world-games.aspx

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I linked two of them in the post you quoted.

And Days Gone was previously scheduled to launch in 2018, hence the GI cover story last year.

That was only a listed for 2018 on the PS website....
Official announcement was in June for Feb 22th.

And lol....you call that poor ??
It still needs quite a bit of work, but it could turn out to be an essential PlayStation 4 exclusive if the developers at Sony Bend can refine it before it ships on April 26th, 2019.

"could turn out to be an essential PlayStation 4 exclusive" sounds not poor imo xD

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That was only a listed for 2018 on the PS website....
Official announcement was in June for Feb 22th.

And lol....you call that poor ??

"could turn out to be an essential PlayStation 4 exclusive" sounds not poor imo xD
Try reading the rest of the article, and are you just going to ignore the other preview I linked? It's strange you're being so defensive. It's clear the game was delayed for much needed additional work - both those previews highlight that ("it still needs quite a bit of work"). And based on the latest footage, the delay was well worth it.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I can't wait for the previews to drop! March 6 can't come soon enough. I've been following the news on this game very closely. I'm super excited!

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
While there were no official specific dates attached to Days Gone coming out in 2018, Shu was on the record stating '2018' ( not concrete, but clearly it was planned for 2018 at one point ) and official marketing material did state 2018 until it was changed.

It's fair to say that it was planned for 2018 at one point, but was pushed to improve the quality of the game and also to not have it release next to tentpole fall games.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Try reading the rest of the article, and are you just going to ignore the other preview I linked? It's strange you're being so defensive. It's clear the game was delayed for much needed additional work - both those previews highlight that. And based on the latest footage, the delay was well worth it.

Äh you wrote something about poor previews...

And why should I read the rest of the article when they wrote "could turn out to be an essential PlayStation 4 exclusive" ?
That's far away from poor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That Eurogamer preview is the only negative I remember.
But what's with all the positive previews like Easy Allies ?

And what do you mean with "try" reading ?
Sounds not very friendly...

Feb 10, 2018

Good open world games require more then just good story.
GTA4 had a decent story, but suffered with poor mission variety.
The gameplay and open world look great in days gone, but the jury is still out on story and mission variety.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to impressions on this. Feels a little late coming out as a zombie horde game but at same time if they nail it, could be a big hit. Here's to hoping for a great narrative along with tight/challenging gameplay.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
No, I reacted to a poster who said "nobody expects it to be 90+". I do. Maybe it's silly, but I honestly do think it's possible.
I hope you are right, but after youtubers impressions on PAX I think this game will set review scores around 70-75.

They say the gameplay is really clunk and the AI is really bad. So I don`t have many hopes.