• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad about this. I want to be excited about it, but I sincerely cannot care anymore for open world games and/or zombie ones. Hope it does well tho.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First thing my eyes were drawn was the head count of 130.

That's really small in comparison to other Sony studios isn't it ?

It's incredible that only 130 people made this and it looks like it's up there with other open world games made by double that number ! Wonder if we will see less variety of mission structure as a result; hope not.
Yeah this is very impressive to me as well. Other games like this have teams that are double or triple the size that they are currently and again they were 50 people for the first couple years working on this. They will get off to a far better start on whatever comes after Days Gone.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, for one - this game was funded and approved before Shawn Layden even came onto the WWS job.

Secondly, even if it was him who approved this game - a game does not assuredly become a game that qualifies for any of the 3 categories above even with a lot of time and money. Sometimes either a combination of bad luck, bad decisions made during development or lack of talent/ability needed to develop the initial idea to its maximum potential means your product is just a mediocre or bad product at the end of the day. And at that point, you're not going to cancel a game just because it doesn't compare to the 90+ games your other studios make.

I don't believe that I ever said that Sony should cancel it, and in fact I said that I could possibly consider getting the game down the road when it is cheaper. It is clear that this game likely didn't hit his lofty goals for all first party games though.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer vid got some nice gameplay but has alot of spoilers,the blood splatter and hit reactions looks good,

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It generally sounds like it may be some okay fun which I could consider getting down the road on a sale, but I can't see me buying it day one like I did with both God of War and Spider-Man either. The previews are generally pretty positive (that isn't unusual either for most previews), but it does seem that this game which was in development for 6 years and even delayed probably doesn't manage to achieve Shawn Layden's mantra about their first party games being "first, best, or must".
it seems to me, the initial pitch for Days Gone is basically the horde gameplay. that is indeed something we never see before, so I can see Days Gone count under "First" in Shawn Layden's view. but you can't make a game with just horde mode nowadays. people expect more, so they had to build the rest of the game surrounding it. they just happened to choose an open world zombie survival game.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Christ, Bend are only about 135 people.
Makes the game a bit more impressive that a relatively small AAA team are building Days Gone.
Yeah, considering they're comparing it to behemoth Ubisoft games that have thousands of devs over multiple studios on each game.

Oct 25, 2017
As a minority that is less represented than the actual population in games, I don't really give a shit if Deacon is white. This whole "hate for white protagonist" has gone to the extreme where some people make every white person be worse than the devil.

This gen Sony has already done a great job with representation for their protagonists. Yes there are white males (Galahad, Peter Parker, Nathan Drake), they've also have good representation from women like Ellie and Aloy and Kat and some minority representation in Delsin and Kratos (he's Mediterranean, even if some of you think he's white).

Could there be more minorities in their games? For sure. But to criticise DG for having a white guy for protagonist saying there are already too many white guys in open world games fails to say that those other games aren't made by Sony so why say that Deacon is "too much" when this gen Sony has done a pretty good job at representation in their games.

I'm sure I'm going to get labeled a sympathizer or "thinking I'm white" , hell even a few day ban just for saying people need to chill with the white people hate, but it's true how crazy it gets on the forus some times

As someone who wants more diversity in gaming, and advocates for it in as many games as possible, including this one, let me tell you something thats a bunch of bullshit.

Gaming journalists "advocating" for more diversity in select titles before forgetting to bring it up in the next big title. It's a shit transparent crutch that they use in favor of actual meaningful criticism, made transparent by their lack of consistency in advocating for the issue. It's entirely hollow in intent except for those few journalists that are actually consistent in their criticisms

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Spaziogames.it
We feel refreshed by the last test with the hand of Days Gone. Of course, some problems remain, but we have finally understood the peculiar key to reading the title. A powerful narrative, an easy to read gameplay survival and a constant contrast between the emotional sphere of one and the raw violence of the other, linked by a marked style on the road. Now only the last step of the review is missing to put the full experience to the vote, arriving on April 26, 2019 in exclusive PS4.
https://www.spaziogames.it/days-gone-provato-in-anteprima/

Nov 29, 2018
Sounds like it will be a good, solid game. Nothing mind blowing and that's fine.
I won't be picking up day one, no matter what it scores but I will definitely pick it up down the road.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I think it looks good, first time I've watched coverage of the game and been excited for it.

I just have to get over the cringe of the zombies being called 'freakers' and the main character being called 'Deacon St John'.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Everything looked pretty decent but yo, those fire effects in the Easy Allies video. That had to be placeholder.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't believe that I ever said that Sony should cancel it, and in fact I said that I could possibly consider getting the game down the road when it is cheaper. It is clear that this game likely didn't hit his lofty goals for all first party games though.

I don't mean to imply that either. Just saying that honestly those kind of goals, if WWS could have a hit-rate of 70% of meeting those goals, it'd be pretty good already.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks good, first time I've watched coverage of the game and been excited for it.

I just have to get over the cringe of the zombies being called 'freakers' and the main character being called 'Deacon St John'.
I really like his name. Sounds better than some random "John Smith" name.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Yeah, considering they're comparing it to behemoth Ubisoft games that have thousands of devs over multiple studios on each game.

Too true. Sure Ubisoft open world games are gargantuan in size but its still impressive by Bend!

This is a 70s meta. You can tell.

Ehh I dunno, depending on the execution of story/gameplay mechanics with hordes, bike etc I think this can score in the 80's range tbh

Yeah, looks like it will be a fun romp for the most part. I never really burned out on zombie stuff and the last open-world game I played was Spider-Man. This should scratch that itch. Really, the biggest thing that's got me hooked is the bike. Riding through the Pacific Northwest with the dynamic weather is going to be grand.

iqQ9vT3.gif

Seriously, riding the bike in this game seems like it'll be a lotta fun!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
As a minority that is less represented than the actual population in games, I don't really give a shit if Deacon is white. This whole "hate for white protagonist" has gone to the extreme where some people make every white person be worse than the devil.

This gen Sony has already done a great job with representation for their protagonists. Yes there are white males (Galahad, Peter Parker, Nathan Drake), they've also have good representation from women like Ellie and Aloy and Kat and some minority representation in Delsin and Kratos (he's Mediterranean, even if some of you think he's white).

Could there be more minorities in their games? For sure. But to criticise DG for having a white guy for protagonist saying there are already too many white guys in open world games fails to say that those other games aren't made by Sony so why say that Deacon is "too much" when this gen Sony has done a pretty good job at representation in their games.

I'm sure I'm going to get labeled a sympathizer or "thinking I'm white" , hell even a few day ban just for saying people need to chill with the white people hate, but it's true how crazy it gets on the forus some times
WTF. That's white too. A Greek white Spartan. Have you ever been in Greece?

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
the gunplay looks flat imo. there's a lack of recoil, the enemies don't have effective hit reactions, and it just looks awkward to me.

everything else looks fine though.
the shooting animations are inconstent, sometimes they look good and sometimes bad.
in this very gif you can se the first enemy with stiff animations and ragdoll and the second one with good animation and ragdoll, they are not bad everytime and it's kinda strange

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong to think IGN should stop likes/dislikes on their preview? People clicking on the video are gonna be met with the 1st impression the game must look shit rather than it being targeted by outside influence because of something the previewer said about white males.
I just feel sorry for Bend.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The name of the game here is cautious optimism it looks like...not a bad place to be. I'll wait for more impressions but sounds like it could be fun. I like the sound of limited resources.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Too true. Sure Ubisoft open world games are gargantuan in size but its still impressive by Bend!

Ehh I dunno, depending on the execution of story/gameplay mechanics with hordes, bike etc I think this can score in the 80's range tbh

Seriously, riding the bike in this game seems like it'll be a lotta fun!
If I get it, it would be the thing I'm most looking forward to. It just looks...right.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the shooting animations are inconstent, sometimes they look good and sometimes bad.
in this very gif you can se the first enemy with stiff animations and ragdoll and the second one with good animation and ragdoll, they are not bad everytime and it's kinda strange

While the first one looked a bit weird, I feel hit reactions are quite good overall. Not sure about weapon feedback tho.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Oh an when tagging the enemies a diamond appears above their head and acts as a health bar.Also it turns yellow if enemies are alerted

Not sure I'm a big fan of the tagging. Do we know if enemies are also visible through walls then, like in Far Cry? I realy disliked the fact that we couldn't turn that off, despite the fact the HUD was highly customizable.

Oct 27, 2017
IGN did, yes, are they wrong?
Of course they are.

Lack of diversity is bad but why is Days Gone in particular problematic? Not to mention even with a white protagonist it is still unique in that it is one of the few games with a biker protagonist.

Why isn't Red Dead or Witcher 3 or any other game with a white protagonist problematic if Days Gone is?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure I'm a big fan of the tagging. Do we know if enemies are also visible through walls then, like in Far Cry? I realy disliked the fact that we couldn't turn that off, despite the fact the HUD was highly customizable.

If I remember correctly, you need to use your binoculars to tag enemies, they don't get tacked just by looking at them and hitting a button.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Of course they are.

Lack of diversity is bad but why is Days Gone in particular problematic? Not to mention even with a white protagonist it is still unique in that it is one of the few games with a biker protagonist.

Why isn't Red Dead or Witcher 3 or any other game with a white protagonist problematic if Days Gone is?
Probably because of the stereotype of being a biker, I'd bet.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, you need to use your binoculars to tag enemies, they don't get tacked just by looking at them and hitting a button.

To me it doesn't really matter how you tag them. It's fact that you can. I know you can also just ignore using it, but in some games the combat system is designed with it in mind, like in FC(5). In Uncharted 4 for example, you can manage just fine without the enemy indicators.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Yeah, looks like it will be a fun romp for the most part. I never really burned out on zombie stuff and the last open-world game I played was Spider-Man. This should scratch that itch. Really, the biggest thing that's got me hooked is the bike. Riding through the Pacific Northwest with the dynamic weather is going to be grand.

iqQ9vT3.gif

That looks really nice. Very pleased that travel in this game appears to be, in its own way, as enjoyable fun and satisfying as it is in Spider-Man.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it's going to be a solid 7.5-8 game. I'm getting Mad Max kind of vibes (which I had a good time with)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
my reaction to this game when the 6 hr cutscene news dropped:

AnchoredFamousAnnelid-size_restricted.gif

i mean i get it, many people see games as enhanced movies with interactivity these days but i just want to play and not watch passive movie snippets

are there different costumes for the guy at least? this base cap makes him look like a douche, i don´t want to see this in cutscenes...

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
my reaction to this game when the 6 hr cutscene news dropped:

AnchoredFamousAnnelid-size_restricted.gif

i mean i get it, many people see games as enhanced movies with interactivity these days but i just want to play and not watch passive movie snippets
6 hours is not that long in open world games, someone post comparison to other game and it's pretty average. I haven't checked, but pretty sure RDR2 have more cutscene hours than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.