• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
No he is nothing special...

I heard Dan already said in the past that he is not a fan of Sony 1st party games.

That's straight up wrong. He considers GOW 2018 one of the best games ever made. His issues in the podcast are not at all in conflict of anything I've seen in pre-release videos. Obviously I haven't played the actual game, but for me a preview usually rings more true if the impressions align with actual footage.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
That's straight up wrong. He considers GOW 2018 one of the best games ever made. His issues in the podcast are not at all in conflict of anything I've seen in pre-release videos. Obviously I haven't played the actual game, but for me a preview usually rings more true if the impressions align with actual footage.

"Said in the past" could mean before GoW or UC4 launch but anyway...it's only one negative opinion in a bunch of positive opinions.

Eurogamer had the harshest preview last year because of framerate problems and now they are fine.

Edit:

And we should not forget that this preview version was not the final build.
After gone gold, Bend has good time for a optimisation patch.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm the Giantbeast crew said the game ran like shit during their 3 hours and they didn't see any remotely big hordes. It's not some forgone conclusion that this game runs smoothly.

They're the only ones who said that. No one said anything remotely like that and most made points about how much better it ran and how stable it was at this point. I have no clue what they're talking about and would take that point with a huge grain of salt considering how bad they are at times with getting even simple facts right.

Oct 31, 2017
Unlikely. Sony exclusive. This will be a 90. Even if game is "average". Review sites wont shake the tree.
I'm not entirely sure why Sony keep the studio around. This is the game they've been making since Uncharted GA from 2012, and it's by no means a bad game, but what does it bring to the table? Does it fill a sparse lineup? No, spring 2019 is packed as fuck. Does it bring a unique experience? No, it doesn't differ from all the 3rd party AAA games and it doesn't fall into a certain niche. Is it a GotY contender that gives Sony good PR? No.

I hope some of you guys are in your teens because the theories are so weird and reductive.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Umm the Giantbeast crew said the game ran like shit during their 3 hours and they didn't see any remotely big hordes. It's not some forgone conclusion that this game runs smoothly.

Run like shit is an exaggeration. I noticed some minor stuttering in the three hour demo while riding the bike through the open world. I didn't encounter the horde so can't comment on that.

My guess is that it's not going to be locked 30 frames-per-second, but I imagine the final build will come close. It definitely does not run like "shit", just a few hiccups.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Run like shit is an exaggeration. I noticed some minor stuttering in the three hour demo while riding the bike through the open world. I didn't encounter the horde so can't comment on that.

My guess is that it's not going to be locked 30 frames-per-second, but I imagine the final build will come close. It definitely does not run like "shit", just a few hiccups.
Which is really impressive for a world like this with all they are doing with it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't put too much weight into Dan's framerate standard. He plays games on PC now so his standards are higher when it comes to framerate. Hiccups for him could be really noticeable since he's used to 60+FPS.

It could also be that Bend doesn't make as smooth 30fps games than other Sony studios, if that makes sense. We should just not expect locked 30 and call it a day.

Either way, my main issue with the game was that it looked standard, but these previews make the game sound much better. Sure, it doesn't offer anything groundbreaking, but not every game has to. I'm also very interested in seeing how the story shakes out.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This was just a normal bear
In one of the towns, I came across a bear that wasn't infected. It was huge. The first time I took it on, it charged at me and killed me. Then I tried to run from it and it chased me through a restaurant and finally brought me down.

I ultimately took the coward's way out. I found a way to climb on the roof. I took out a few of the kiddie Freakers on the roof, and then I waited for the bear. I dropped my Molotov cocktails on the bear each time he came back. That took his health down low, and he couldn't get to me. I took him out with my machine gun.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/06/...ew-great-expectations-from-hours-of-gameplay/

Oct 25, 2017
Bend has about a month of optimization to do and they will probably have a day 1 patch. The performance in the previews is basically irrelevant.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People shouldn't put too much weight into Dan's framerate standard. He plays games on PC now so his standards are higher when it comes to framerate. Hiccups for him could be really noticeable since he's used to 60+FPS.

It could also be that Bend doesn't make as smooth 30fps games than other Sony studios, if that makes sense. We should just not expect locked 30 and call it a day.

Either way, my main issue with the game was that it looked standard, but these previews make the game sound much better. Sure, it doesn't offer anything groundbreaking, but not every game has to. I'm also very interested in seeing how the story shakes out.

So, there's no performance mode shipping with this?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Jeff and Brad also said God of War ran like shit. It doesnt.

It was reeeeeally annoying during game of the year. But it was worth it just so that during "Best looking game" game Vinny could pivot Brad's arguement about it not performing well into ripping on how bad the HDR implmention on Red dead was. That was some real schaudenfraude after hearing about God of War "performance issues" being brought up multiple times

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why we are arguing about previews, the game will be reviewed before it's released, so no point making up your minds until then.

I only use previews as a way to see how a game is shaping up, we will know how "good" the game in due time.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
And that is totally fine, I just don't understand what there is to argue about. We don't have all the details yet, we could perhaps wait for the review thread before falling over ourself.
Yeah, you are right. It's not really worth speculating about which previews are right or wrong - they seem to be generally positive, but I figure that's typical of previews anyway. The thing is that I know what I like and this game seems to match my tastes pretty well. Maybe I'll get burned like I did with RDR2, but eh.. I can live with that.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like it plays like Far Cry, but has the fidelity and story quality of a AAA Sony title. I've officially boarded the hype train.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like it plays like Far Cry, but has the fidelity and story quality of a AAA Sony title. I've officially boarded the hype train.
Hmm I dont think it actually play like Far Cry it share some of the same side stuff but atleast story mission are attach to them and you get alot of benefits.

Artorias

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is reminding me of Breath of the Wild with its light survival aspects and player creativity/freedom when it comes to tackling enemies and encounters.

What was once a casual indifference has turned into genuine curiosity. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

PS Dog

Mar 24, 2018
R0qWwkk.jpg

CJMV3NS.jpg

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/18/days-gone-photo-mode-revealed/

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's good to keep track 👀

Oh, you can type it here if you want
please share

i would love to see it

Well it's gone now and I sure as heck can't be bothered to type it up again for a game I'm not overly enthusiastic about but TL;DR (or should that be Thread Locked; New Comment lol) my original comment was tongue in cheek that I'm glad at least 1 person in that thread got a giggle out of and I reiterate for like the 3rd/4th time that it was definitely not a serious prediction on the game's actual sales potential. I'm not lying at all when I say that I rarely make such predictions, except for jokes such as here and in the Yoshi v Sekiro thread earlier. I don't hide my comment history either like many do so you're free to look if you still must but I doubt you'll see anything worthwhile.

Damn that last part was kinda self deprecating wasn't it lol.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
There was some debate on the recently closed thread regarding Days Gone feeling "generic" or not. My take (That I couldn't post before they closed it).

Days Gone is like Dead Rising 3 and Far Cry 5 had a baby, the same way that Darksiders was a mix of Zelda and God of War. Both games were inspired by proven , well known gameplay styles / formulas. Darksiders proved to be an interesting , even unique take on the action adventure genre even if the the gameplay wasn't groundbreaking but that was partially helped by the setting and characters / lore. That's what worries me with Days Gone, the gameplay loop might work but the post-apocalyptic setting and the "Characters in distress trying to survive" has been done quite a few times very effectively already. This is where that "generic feel" creeps in. That doesn't mean that the game will be bad, but is understandable why some people might be skeptical. I'm liking the extra polish I'm seeing in the latest previews, I'm still waiting for the first Unreal Engine 4 title on PS4 to blow my mind from a technical standpoint. I really hope it turns out great

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
I don't hide my comment history either like many do so you're free to look if you still must but I doubt you'll see anything worthwhile.

Damn that last part was kinda self deprecating wasn't it lol.

first prediction i''ve seen from you that makes sense and is astoundingly true. good shit my guy

proud of ya.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
first prediction i''ve seen from you that makes sense and is astoundingly true. good shit my guy

proud of ya.

See I can be funny when I try eh? :)

Edit: that wasn't a prediction either. Do people here genuinely not understand that word or something I am so confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.