• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Some fun gameplay here he shot off the arm of a freaker and they where still chasing him with one arm

He is also playing this on hard.

Last edited:

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Except TLOU had interesting characters and gameplay mechanics displayed immediately during trailers/demos

Not to mention it was made by a studio with a pedigree of already making great narrative driven experiences with the Uncharted series

Bend hasn't done anything of significance since Syphon Filter - the Vita Uncharted game doesn't really count considering it was portable and an IP that they most likely received direction on from Naughty Dog
The characters and the gameplay wouldn't be as they are if it weren't for the setting ND chose (zombie apocalypse). The clickers are easily the main reason why the characters and gameplay of TLOU worked so well. Also, the gameplay was nothing to write home about. The mechanics were not new, just vastly improved compared to other similar games on the market. It felt good to play and should be the only thing important. Same applies to Days Gone. If DG feels good to play, who cares if they are not bringing anything new gameplay-wise (beside the Hordes).
Watching Kotaku's footage now. To be honest, it's looking a bit bland to me, but I'm sure certain people will like it.
So did TLOU and Horizon Zero Dawn. These games seemed "bland" to a lot of people before they released.
Days Gone has not had glowing previews either and has consistently received average/mixed reception
Since when does a game need glowing previews to be great in the end? It received mixed reception in the first previews after its reveal, but they kept improving every year since.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Kotaku video and I'm about 10 minutes in.

The people playing it aren't reviewing it, however one of them does say "it's good" with regards to the game, obviously limited in what they can disclose per the NDA.

On the other hand, the performance is terrible.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people here would be happier if EDGE review could come at launch and not end of the month.
I'm sure there will be plenty that prove me right and plenty that prove you right

Again, I think this will have a mixed bag reception. I never once said I think this game will be bad - I just don't think it'll be great.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Some people here would be happier if EDGE review could come at launch and not end of the month.
Like I said, expect the Days Gone review around May 3rd. I say this because EDGE had their reviews available on Metacritic for Sony's major games (GOW, Spider-Man, Horizon,etc) about a week after their respective launch.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Any good video previews without too many story spoilers? Gameplay spoilers are fine. I've been on a blackout but I would love to watch a couple Days Gone video's right now.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm sure there will be plenty that prove me right and plenty that prove you right

Again, I think this will have a mixed bag reception. I never once said I think this game will be bad - I just don't think it'll be great.
No one said the game will be a 90+ on Metacritic, because that would be ludicrous to think so. Alhtough, I doubt this game's average Metascore will be under 75, if not 80.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Some great gameplay here seems later game though

Yeah, he said that he already finished the game.

- It had some progression bugs on Day 1 but the 1.3 Patch already fix those ones.
- It has some TLOU elements, but it's quite different. For him it's a mix of TLOU with the world of Horizon ZD.
- The game have some very OP enemies, but the equipment also evolves a lot.
- Gameplay is very good, and the bike requires learning.
- There are some traps that can completely break the bike and the player is forced to stay on foot.
- History evolves a lot with the course of the game, but it takes a while.
- You can lost your bike in the middle of a horde. (And you'll have to either eliminate the horde or pay for a rescue service to get it back)

(I am 10min in, will edit the post with more infos. later)

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one said the game will be a 90+ on Metacritic, because that would be ludicrous to think so. Alhtough, I doubt this game's average Metascore will be under 75, if not 80.
I think some people are parading it to be 85+ Metascore which to me = a great game

My gut feeling is this will end up around 77-78. Doesn't mean it's a bad game - I agree that it won't be under 75

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The people playing it aren't reviewing it, however one of them does say "it's good" with regards to the game, obviously limited in what they can disclose per the NDA.

But people told me Giantbomb are liars and the performance was totally solid.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I mean we had "insiders" and reddit posters saying The Order was incredible too
Different situation here. The Order 1886 barely showed any new gameplay footage until about 2-3 weeks before its release where Sony held a behind-closed-doors event for journalists. The problems with The Order 1886 were coming back every time these journalists were able to try it out at conventions. The issues they picked on were never changed/modified or redesigned. It happened quite a bunch or times too. Most of the time we were hearing news about The Order 1886 was regarding the engine features and capabilities. That's it. The same thing happened with EA's Anthem. The devs focused on the technology running the game and not on what differs it from other looter shooters on the market.

Today, I can safely say that I am looking forward to Ready At Dawn's next console project and I really hope it is a spiritual sequel to The Order 1886.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

Could have been recorded pre-1.03 patch.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
But people told me Giantbomb are liars and the performance was totally solid.
GiantBomb said God of War had performance problems too. So I wouldn't take their word on that. :/

Although, it is true that Days Gone's technical performance seem to not be as smooth as some would have expected or liked. What's weird is that Shirrako who tried it on a PS4 Pro had some framerate problems, but someone on reddit who tried it on a PS4 Slim barely had any. I am assuming there could be something wrong with how the performance is managed in the Pro, which makes me wonder if there is a performance mode and a resolution/graphics mode like God of War. :P

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
It seems to be running well with their last update. Reviews will destroy it since the patch was not available when Sony sent the game to the media.

Would be a shame if that happens.

Review embargo is still a few days away and reviewers must consider that.
Who cares how well a game runs before the launch....

Maybe the review embargo ends so late because of update 1.3.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oct 25, 2017
Except TLOU had interesting characters and gameplay mechanics displayed immediately during trailers/demos

Not to mention it was made by a studio with a pedigree of already making great narrative driven experiences with the Uncharted series

Bend hasn't done anything of significance since Syphon Filter - the Vita Uncharted game doesn't really count considering it was portable and an IP that they most likely received direction on from Naughty Dog

Stop omitting stuff they've done just because it's convenient to your flimsy arguments. Seriously, nothing is more annoying when people try to prove a point and omit stuff that contradicts what they're saying just because. At least be honest about it, like come on. They've made a bunch of good games, you trying to remove things they created because it was on portable and not their IP does not help your argument, it just makes it look worse.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Ok two questions

There's difficulty options now correct? So i can choose to play on hard

And is there any talk of the end game yet? I assume you can free roam after the story but haven't seen any info about it.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop omitting stuff they've done just because it's convenient to your flimsy arguments. Seriously, nothing is more annoying when people try to prove a point and omit stuff that contradicts what they're saying just because. At least be honest about it, like come on. They've made a bunch of good games, you trying to remove things they created because it was on portable and not their IP does not help your argument, it just makes it look worse.
Ok - they haven't released a game in 8 years and haven't released a console specific game since 2006/2007.

Is that still a flimsy argument?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
From the new inside Bend Studio video:

"One engineer spearheaded the entire horde, as an example, figured out a way to get 500 creatures on the screen at the same time."

Like damn, Bend has really talented people on board :O

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be a shame if that happens.

Review embargo is still a few days away and reviewers must consider that.
Who cares how well a game runs before the launch....

Maybe the review embargo ends so late because of update 1.3.
Whoever is reviewing the game already has a score and the thoughts on the game, at least the big publications.

Status
Not open for further replies.