• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I dont understand why they lift a streaming embargo today but wont let reviews get posted until the 25th. Makes no sense.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Maybe because it is first and foremost story-driven game, so maybe Sony wanted to avoid potential spoilers.
would be the opposite, reviewers always get a fact list about things that should not be said in reviews ( see TLOU/Ellie in winter, blades in GOW )..
Reviewers respect that because they are not stupid and otherwise would get blacklisted.

Oct 25, 2017
FPS issues aside, the Kotaku video is pretty decent to watch.

Gunplay looks good, encounters can be handled in a variety of ways and Deacon seems interesting.

It seems like a combination of different formulaesall executed solidly enough, and wrapped in an open world setting that's not that common.

Interested to see how the story is received, my big remaining question.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
About the frame

About the framerate:

"It was bad at first, but after Patch 1.3 it became pretty good and most bugs do not happen anymore."

that knife fight with the freaker at like 57 minutes in is some of the worst footage I've seen in ages. that is some shocking AI.

Jeesus I just watched that fight that is absolutely atrocious. does not paint the game ina good light at all.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
7 years of development and two delays to ensure polish but it's still going to probably take a post-release patch to make the performance solid

Man, I have this feeling that you're going to pounce with a told you so if this game doesn't review well. Do you even want it to be a good game? Because late impression/early purchase feedback has been quite good. Maybe give these guys a chance to release (and patch) the game before rendering judgement. Does it really matter, in this day and age, that there is a day 1 performance patch? I mean....good for them for caring enough to polish to the last moment.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you mean Promethius? I just watched it, and they never mentioned anything bad performance wise. Maybe I'm not good a spotting performance issues, but it seemed to run well without any horrific pop-up or anything like that.

Is it a playback issue? When I play it, there's several occasions of FPS dropping. But the other Days Gone videos I've watched are fine.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh mann that new Gameplay trailer had a spoiler in it. They've been good at avoiding spoiling story beats too. I regret watching :(

Oct 25, 2017
Does the entirety of the game take place in eastern Oregon? I notice the mossy trees but thought the eastern part of the state was much more dry? I've only ever been west of the Cascades where moss in on everything. I know western Washington is vastly different from the eastern half as I drove through it and live on the western side. Never been to eastern Oregon though.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Is it a playback issue? When I play it, there's several occasions of FPS dropping. But the other Days Gone videos I've watched are fine.
It might be me:) I don't play that many open world games so I might not be as astute at noticing frame rate drops unless their obvious. But it did seem similar to the other couple of play throughs that I watched today.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
7 years of development and two delays to ensure polish but it's still going to probably take a post-release patch to make the performance solid

It has not been in development for 7 years, as Bend toyed with other ideas prior to settling on this one. And the team that started working on it was ridiculously small...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Gnarly

VlJhXcF.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Ok - they haven't released a game in 8 years and haven't released a console specific game since 2006/2007.

Is that still a flimsy argument?

Better than before. They have been working on this for that long right though? So there you go, they've been working on something, they had a good track record before. this may end up bad, who knows, but omitting their history just to prove your point makes your argument flimsy.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Nope. Sony Bend tried a bunch of different ideas before settling for Days Gone somewhere in 2013. Prototyping ideas can take from 3 to 6 months (per idea). So saying they worked on it for 7 straight years is non-sense. Going into full production usually means that the project was greenlit, which allows them to ramp up production on the game right after.

source: https://wccftech.com/days-gone-dev-pushing-ps4-limits/
It went into full production in January 2015, so it will be over four years when it launches next year.
Other source... vvv

Other other source: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...ked_about_making_an_infamous_game_for_ps_vita
The discussion leads to more general talk about potential Vita development, and when asked if one of the studio's ideas for the system was an inFAMOUS game, Ross says, "We talked about it for a while, yeah. John [Garvin] had some really cool ideas for that by the way, it was... Yeah, I guess we're revealing that--" before being swiftly cut off by Garvin steering the chatter back to Days Gone. It sounds as though the studio was throwing around a lot of ideas for potential portable versions of Sony's big properties before eventually moving to PS4 development.

Ok - they haven't released a game in 8 years and haven't released a console specific game since 2006/2007.

Is that still a flimsy argument?
Again False. They released Uncharted: Fight for Fortune on PS Vita in 2012.

Last edited:

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think most of websites will review the 2.0 version, many of them have already finished the game.

Oct 27, 2017
It has not been in development for 7 years, as Bend toyed with other ideas prior to settling on this one. And the team that started working on it was ridiculously small...
This is somewhat incorrect. Now it didn't enter 100% full production until 2015, that's true. But it actually has been in development for 7 years.
In the works since 2012, "Days Gone" is the biggest-budget project ever undertaken by the studio, he said, and there's a lot riding on its commercial success.
https://www.bendbulletin.com/home/4502209-151/bend-game-studio-expects-longevity-from-days-gone

Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat incorrect. Now it didn't enter 100% full production until 2015, that's true. But it actually has been in development for 7 years.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/home/4502209-151/bend-game-studio-expects-longevity-from-days-gone

103 employees is absolutely tiny for an AAA open-world game of this scale. i wonder if they will expand if it is very successful.
Same for Sucker Punch but apparently they like being small. And of course Media Molecule is the smallest at around 60 or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.