• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Most tentpole SP Ubisoft open world games range from good to great, so that's not exactly such a bad thing. Metal Gear Survive and State of Decay 2 however fall in a lower league of critical reception than your average tentpole Ubi game, at 62 meta and 66 meta respectively.
Yeah, it's a positive. Just not eyecatching or exciting, or at least it hasn't been yet. Marketing might make a difference for hype next month.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
People called horizon zero dawn a far cry Ubisoft clone too pre-release. Spider-Man didn't do nothing new nor innovate but it was still an extremely fun game. I never expected Bend to innovate but I do expect a very solid game and enjoyable experience.

But you know a studio that hasn't worked on a modern AAA game I don't have overblown expectation some do here.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
tumblr_oqts02PFVa1wn1p99o2_1280.gif

Kaz, in already freaking out! We need a stealth game back.. Splinter Cell is MIA this gen and MGS is done for

We need Syphon Filter back

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Why do so many trashy British tabloids have actually decent gaming sections?

Preparing my King's Dead "then I freaked it" memes for the review thread.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Looks good. I don't need every game to reinvent the wheel as long as it's fun. And also zombies.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a positive. Just not eyecatching or exciting, or at least it hasn't been yet. Marketing might make a difference for hype next month.

To me it is. Read a lot of previews and the game looks to deliver loads of fun with cool mechanics to play around with.

But you're probably one of those guys that will still shit on the game even if it scores 90+ on MC, so that's cool. It's probably not for you then.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Well, I had fun playing the game. Took me a couple of minutes to get used to the Bike controls and the crafting/weapon wheel is not perfect, I ended up selecting stuff I didn't want to select in the heat of the moment. But you can switch weapons with buttons at least. It's not really bringing anything totally new to the genre, but it feels like a way more polished "State of Decay 2" I would say.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them (I attended the preview event).
How good is the shooting? Enemy reaction,animation, ragdoll, visible wound, gore, hit detaction etc.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised to hear about the Luke warm previews - at least it appears solid from a gameplay perspective but Deacon not the story appears to be super compelling from these previews (as expected)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just read this interview
https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/06/days...to-create-a-really-unique-experience-8826097/
and it seems so, i don't know, unprofessional for an interview conducted in a preview event. kudos to garvin for going along but the interviewer has a very aggressive tone and some of the questions are downright insulting.

It seemed particularly negative, pessimistic and rude, almost like they were less interested in answers and instead more focused on wanting to insult or demean the dev, their choices or their work. It sort of diminishes their credibility somewhat.

Also, how does Deacon represent the generic bald space marine type exactly? Yes he's white, but how many video game leads are tatooed up actual biker gang members dressed the way he is? I wonder if Metro could name all these other apparent similar examples.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Seems like a mostly positive response thus far, though let's face it, previews tend to be. The general impression I'm getting is that it's a mechanically-able game that does well by the open-world format, but plays things safe and isn't aiming to innovate in any particular way. I predict lots of 7s and 8s on the way.

just read this interview
https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/06/days...to-create-a-really-unique-experience-8826097/
and it seems so, i don't know, unprofessional for an interview conducted in a preview event. kudos to garvin for going along but the interviewer has a very aggressive tone and some of the questions are downright insulting.

Given how critical you've been of Days Gone in the recent past, to the point of being both mass accused of shitposting and catching a ban, I figured you'd be fully on board with this line of questioning. As someone who thinks Days Gone looks relatively run-of-the-mill, I think these are pertinent queries and don't see a problem with them being raised.

This sort of thing is par-the-course for the Metro journo anyway. He never shies way from asking the hard questions. Y'all should read the interviews he's done with Jim Ryan, they're way worse!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Any new gameplay video without commentary?

I'm on mobile right now, so it's hard to look for one...

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
To me it is. Read a lot of previews and the game looks to deliver loads of fun with cool mechanics to play around with.

But you're probably one of those guys that will still shit on the game even if it scores 90+ on MC, so that's cool. It's probably not for you then.
No, and I'm not shitting on this game. My first post you replied to was partially about how Days Gone might be a big success precisely because it has qualities of wide appeal.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

I've only seen two biomes in "Days Gone," but the environments are distinct and create different scenarios. In one situation, I found a herd of deer running across the road. I plowed my motorcycle into it and carved it for meat, but the reason the deer were fleeing was that a flood of Freakers were chasing after them. I had to get my supplies and hop on my bike.

While I was driving through Hot Springs, I came across a camp of ambushers and I decided to slowly weed them out. I stalked each bad guy and killed them. I disarmed traps and shifted them around. Unfortunately, the death attracted a horde of Freakers and they ran after me. This forced me to prematurely rush the camp with the monsters behind me. The monsters ended up clearing the camp and nearly killing me.

Those weren't scripted moments, but ones that came about serendipitously through the different systems working behind the scenes. It helps the open-world of "Days Gone" feel more concrete and creates an element of unpredictability that could be a hallmark of the world.

This is music to my ears. Looking ambitious with its open world systems.

Also I'm digging the bike more every time I see it.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It seemed particularly negative, pessimistic and rude, almost like they were less interested in answers and instead more focused on wanting to insult or demean the dev or their work. It sort of diminishes their credibility somewhat, not to mention the merit of their eventual review.

Also, how does Deacon represent the generic bald space marine type exactly? Yes he's white, but how many video game leads are tatooed up actual biker gang members dressed the way he is? I wonder if Metro could name them.

Or maybe they found the game dull and generic and thought they would reflect those thoughts in their questioning?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My bets are she did die but near the end of the game you run into her zombie self and have to decide if you want to kill her or not whilst the main character starts to cry and is struggling with it and eventually some sad music plays after you kill her. Cut to black.
In the past the devs confirmed that deacon doesn't meet any friend or family or important character in freaker form.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems overall "pretty good" but uninspiring which was my fear. Just not in the mood for another bland open world game. Hopefully people still enjoy it.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The IGN video preview bashed the game for having yet another white male protagonist, kind of agree, it is a tired trope, seems to be getting lot of backlash though.
That's not getting "a lot of backslash"

While I'll admit that I initially rolled my eyes at yet another Gruff White Male Protagonist™ in a grim world - especially one with such a Gruff White Male Protagonist™-ey name as Deacon St. John - I ended up getting far more invested than I'd initially expected. I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose - this is a first-party Sony title, and Bend is no stranger to writing around well-developed characters and games with a strong narrative focus, either.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
From what I've seen in these previews, we're talking about a 80+ MC I guess? Great.

Oct 27, 2017
Which is too bad.. Betas a month before a game comes out makes no sense.

Anyhow, I applause Capcom for doing so with RE2 and DMC
Yeah it is just a buzz word to make people believe they aren't getting a paid demo. I saw through it the first time but I wish other people did.

Agreed on Capcom, especially RE2 R which only hyped me to get the game.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always complain they want proper games journalism and then went Metro give proper interview questions instead of wanky pr friendly fluff, people get mad.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't read the Metro interview if you don't want to be spoiled regarding what happens to your wife at the beginning of the game.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The start of the easy allies where he says marketing should ramp up. This game is absolutely everywhere and has been for weeks. Sony must be spending an absolute fortune on this.
i havent seen anything personally outside of the trailers that show on the playstation channel, but i hope in the next couple of we get this massive ad campaign, billboards etc..

Hope this game becomes huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.