• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Metro interview is hilariously bad, particularly the incessantly banal line of questioning about Deacon being a bald white space marine, or whatever it was. Regardless of how people feel about a game, I still find myself continually surprised when people try to downplay the potential strength of a protagonist on the basis of his most shallow identity traits: his race, the lack of hair on his head, his backwards cap, whatever else it may be. You know little about the character's background, perspective on life, the context of his situation, personality traits, etc., but you still fixate on the fact that he's white, like that somehow subtracts from what may be a decently compelling character. Ok.

You'd think people would've learned after all the bullshit surrounding Arthur Morgan being "just another white guy", and then the game comes out and people love the hell out of him. Not saying Deacon will be a great main character (I don't know yet), but it will always be wrong to dismiss a character out of hand for these superficial qualities. Judging a character based on externals is bunk.
Jon Ryan wrote the IGN preview and complained about Deacon being white. Funny thing is his GOTY was RDR2 and he loves Arthur Morgan. Imagine that.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
That Metro interview is hilariously bad, particularly the incessantly banal line of questioning about Deacon being a bald white space marine, or whatever it was. Regardless of how people feel about a game, I still find myself continually surprised when people try to downplay the potential strength of a protagonist on the basis of his most shallow identity traits: his race, the lack of hair on his head, his backwards cap, whatever else it may be. You know little about the character's background, perspective on life, the context of his situation, personality traits, etc., but you still fixate on the fact that he's white, like that somehow subtracts from what may be a decently compelling character. Ok.

You'd think people would've learned after all the bullshit surrounding Arthur Morgan being "just another white guy", and then the game comes out and people love the hell out of him. Not saying Deacon will be a great main character (I don't know yet), but it will always be wrong to dismiss a character out of hand for these superficial qualities. Judging a character based on externals is bunk.

agreed

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Funny to hear Jon Ryan from IGN complain about yet another "White Gruff Male protagonist" when this same guy wouldn't shut up about RDR2 and his love for Arthur Morgan when talking with people like Jared Petty. The comments on that IGN video are spot on.
Don't ever agree with ign comments lol

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it will be a rather decent game.

Given Bend's size and their AAA console experience, that is a job well done.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think the story and AI will hit the game in the balls. Still think 78-83 score will be achievable for the game.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
The previews are positive but not overwhelmingly like i hoped they would , was leaning into 85-90 range but from the previews it seems 82-85 is the right way to go! ( It still would be a good game and i will buy it regardless)

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Not all the previews have quotes since alot of the machine translation is terrible.
From Hobby Consolas

Our first impressions are very positive. Days Gone includes a bunch of elements we've already seen in other games; stealth, open world, survival and crafting, tracking... but what really gives it personality is the presence of the horde and the bike. Furthermore, its strong narrative got us hooked during our time with the game.
I'm sleepy, so that's the best I can do right now.

Oct 25, 2017
The previews seem fine, so long as your not expecting a reinvention of wheel, but in the context of zombies, it's an exciting enough premise for many. Sounds like a high 70s-low 80s sorta MC game unless the story and gameplay loops go wild later.

The complaints about Deacon being another white protagonist. I get it. I'm fine with the complaints being echoed (and they should). I just hope journalists make it a consistent issue and not something that comes up for the occasional game only to be forgotten for the next big game (which happens and I fully expect to keep happening).

Makes it a bit of a shit point if you have no complaints about RDR2s MC or Detroits problematic shit but only raise the issue of the lead characters race in select games.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Loudninja

Dutch website:

https://gamer.nl/artikelen/preview/days-gone-laat-je-overleven-in-een-wereld-vol-zombies

Days Gone's cinematics compare to the quality of Nathan Drakes adventures and, maybe more, to the ones in The Last of Us.

Acting is solid and moving around in the world feels really smooth with the same polished feeling as in most of Sony's first party titles.

You really get the feeling you're living inside The Walking Dead and are part of a world that's been ravaged by a zombie apocalypse for years where strong people found the means to survive.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Jon Ryan wrote the IGN preview and complained about Deacon being white. Funny thing is his GOTY was RDR2 and he loves Arthur Morgan. Imagine that.
Some people are either unable, or unwilling to learn from their mistakes, then. We've seen the same thing several times with characters like Joel from TLoU. Oh look, another bearded white guy... who ended up being a fantastic, well-written character, backed by a captivating performance from Troy Baker. It's almost as if the quality of the character is determined by the depth they have as people.

Sam Witwer seems like a talented dude. I think he'll do a good job.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Seems... okay. Hopefully it's actually fun, and not Crackdown 3 "fun." I always get worried when press previews offer vague mentions of the fun they had after describing how rough a product is to soften the blow.

Please be good lol

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Wow those journos really have a bone to pick with how Deacon looks, not from america but ain't that how most people look up there in the north?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
the gunplay looks flat imo. there's a lack of recoil, the enemies don't have effective hit reactions, and it just looks awkward to me.

everything else looks fine though.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Wow those journos really have a bone to pick with how Deacon looks, not from america but ain't that how most people look up there in the north?
People are tired of the white male protagonist trope, supporting these kinds of games seems to be perpetuating the cycle, so naturally it's going to receive some criticism based on this.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It might do a lot of things other open world games do these days but like Spider-Man, if getting around the world is fun, in this case riding the Bike, the story is half decent and the hordes are a good challenge, then I think it will be enough for the game to review well, I expect it to score in the mid 80's MC.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
The previews are pretty good in general but there is some things that disapoint me. Like the fact they removed the choices. I was very interested about this aspect of the game. Does that means there is no more different endings?
Also 240 collectibles... RIP Platinum.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Previews sound good, I still think this game will be big commercially because of the zombies. Between this game and MLB Sony is having a nice spring.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
What the fuck is this? Does everything always have to devolve into Metacritic. How fucking toxic is this shit.
It is just an opinion man. Chill out. Metacritic is a good reference for me at least to buy day one or wait for a sale.

This game sounds like a good game for a sale not for day one.

Everything I was worried is being said in a lot of previews like worried of the length and to start being boring and repetitive.

Comparison with far cry didn't help a lot to me since I think far cry is really bland and boring.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I dont see anything buddy

Look again.

It is just an opinion man. Chill out. Metacritic is a good reference for me at least to buy day one or wait for a sale.

Everything I was worried is being said in a lot of previews like worried of the length and to start being boring and repetitive.

Comparison with far cry didn't help a lot to me since I think far cry is really bland and boring.

MC means pretty much shit to me. I purchased games like GTA5 and RDR2 day one because of MC, I had WAY more fun with Spider-Man, Metro Exodus, AC Origins, Dying Light, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 3 etc. I'm pretty much 100% sure I will enjoy Days Gone more then the highest ranking MC games from this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine...if it sticks with other games that have white protagonist. Problem is..it won't as we literally just had rdr2 and it wasn't no where near as loud about Arthur

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. I felt the complete opposite when the game was announced, but I get more and more excited for the game the more I see of it. It also seems Sony did the right things by giving Bend more time to work on this game. It's really come together into a solid looking game, and I'm excited to try it myself next month when it comes out.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
Why do people base everything on race? I understand that having more women/minoroties in a game is always a good thing,but the most important thing about characters should always be how well they are written and not how diverse they look

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Reviews seem very optimistic about this game, something I couldn't have agreed to back when it was first revealed. It won't be a day 1 for me since my TV broke and I'm kinda on a budget for trips I've already got planned, but I'm definitely getting this along with a new TV in a couple of months.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are tired of the white male protagonist trope, supporting these kinds of games seems to be
perpetuating the cycle, so naturally it's going to receive some criticism based on this.

People are tired about that trope unless it is in RDR2 then that is fine because it is historically accurate.
People are tired about big empty open world games, unless it is RDR2 because that is what the devs intended.
People are tired about limited gameplay and simplistic crafting unless it is RDR2 because the crafting fits the time period and ... I don't know fucking reasons.

Basically I think this game will be shit on by a lot of people. Not because of anything it particularly does wrong, but because mediocre open landscape games like RDR2 and Spiderman have been praised to the heavens despite making all the same "errors" and people will feel the need to reclaim some credibility.

Or it might mostly suck, that could also end up happening.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, so they removed all the choices in game that were shown in the earlier builds, so you no longer have an rpg'ish type of narrative that lets you make choices that impact how things play out? That's a huge bummer, that's one of the main things I was looking forward to about the game.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Ironically the "embarrassing" comments about the preview from Metro made me look at it.

First thing my eyes were drawn was the head count of 130.

That's really small in comparison to other Sony studios isn't it ?

It's incredible that only 130 people made this and it looks like it's up there with other open world games made by double that number ! Wonder if we will see less variety of mission structure as a result; hope not.

Really looking forward to Days Gone myself, think it will be my next game, followed by Rage 2.

Edit: just continued reading Metro... wow it's bad.

"
JG: And the thing about the freakers in Days Gone is they're within the realm of possibility.

GC: They are?

JG: If you have a virus that can mutate genome it can do these things. So you notice that all the freaker types in Days Gone are grounded in reality. They're not so far-fetched"

Lol the interviewer sounds like a total idiot it's almost comical to read !

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
People are tired of the white male protagonist trope, supporting these kinds of games seems to be perpetuating the cycle, so naturally it's going to receive some criticism based on this.
From what I'm lead to believe, biker subculture is predominantly white, even overwhelmingly so. Given that angle, it should come as little surprise that picking a biker as your main character = probably gonna be a white guy.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Watched the EZA preview. Pretty excited for the game, sounds like it's shaping up pretty well. Also I'm excited to play another game set in the PNW - we don't get many of those and I always love when we get some representation.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's the good old "judging the book by its cover" thing. And it's kinda sad and annoying. But this won't change, as it looks like.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory and dismissive drive-by posting; previous severe infractions
Why do people base everything on race? I understand that having more women/minoroties in a game is always a good thing,but the most important thing about characters should always be how well they are written and not how diverse they look

Agree, I don't give a shit if the protagonist is white, yellow, purple or green or whatever.

Are people already complaining about the Forbes top 10 richest people all being white males?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Days Gone seems to have a lot more system beneath the surface. Things like freaker and animal behavior, dynamic time of day and weather that further affect things like freaker gets stronger at night, dropped visibility during rain, but boost stealth, how it affect bike handling in muddy terrain, how you have to land your bikes in certzin way during jump to lessen damage to your bike. There's lots of little system here and there to make the game have more depth.

Watching EZA previews really make you hyped and see how it differentiate itself from other open world games.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
From what I'm lead to believe, biker subculture is predominantly white, even overwhelmingly so. Given that angle, it should come as little surprise that picking a biker as your main character = probably gonna be a white guy.
You should really be careful about defending problematic titles on here, game has been called out for it, rightly so.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so they removed all the choices in game that were shown in the earlier builds, so you no longer have an rpg'ish type of narrative that lets you make choices that impact how things play out? That's a huge bummer, that's one of the main things I was looking forward to about the game.
"It was kind of one of those things where we fought for it for a long time and had binary choices throughout the game, and we did a lot of user testing and at the end of the day it became hard to communicate what the impact of those choices were," Garvin says. "When we cut them, we found out that we just didn't need them. It made it stronger, and it made it way more clear, and it also helped Deacon's character, to not give the player a chance to make Deacon an a--hole. He's not going to take Boozer's shotgun, and he's not going to leave this guy to be eaten alive. He's got a code, and for the strength of the story and the strength of the character it was a good cut to make for the game."

Ross added that one of the concerns he had about showing so much during our previous visit was that we were seeing a game that was still in active development. "The game was not done at the time we were sharing it, and game development is a process," Ross says. "Before 'choicegate' gets out there where people start calling us out on things, we share. We expose stuff. We were pretty transparent, and I think that's our philosophy moving forward. We set out to do one thing, and I think largely that vision is intact but there are micro course corrections that we've done along the way that I think make for a better game."
.https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/03/06/whats-changed-in-the-opening-hour

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
And I'm tired of people being tired, we all need some sleep then!
But seriously there are so many games now with different protags that you can choose, attacking days gone for having a white protag in a relevant context is trying too hard.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.