• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
im sold as long as the game is atmospheric and doesnt turn into an arcade zombie killing game, tlou does not quell the same kind of thirst at all.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
With its heavy focus on emergent gameplay in an open world sandbox, definitely.

The thing is, they need to be very mindful in how they demonstrate it - Breath of the Wild did this very well.

Days Gone is one good demo away from winning people over.

Yeah emergent gameplay and fun traveling method, but they haven't been able to show it well enough.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I am much more interested now but I hope they will improve animation of the player, some are good, some not so much. Animation of freakers are very good....

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope we get to see how the open world exploration works this E3.

With a full month of covergae from Game Informer it wouldn't be that strange if Days Gone skipped the E3-Press Conference this year.

Maybe it's playable or we get a nice Trailer on the showfloor. But it also could show up later during GamesCom or Paris Games Week.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Eh they showed this well enough already.

First Playthough

Second Playthough

Dont get how people are still saying this.

They should do one of those 101 trailer then maybe finally some people will be able to understand it, because it clearly seems a lot of people are having a hard time grasping the concept of this game.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Wow, just about none of those details make the game sound interesting to me, but given that Sony's output has been really solid I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
They should do one of those 101 trailer then maybe finally some people will be able to understand it, because it clearly seems a lot of people are having a hard time grasping the concept of this game.
Its not their fault people are not paying attention at this point to be honest not much you can do about that.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Some of you guys are actually thinking Sony is greenlightning and developing games straight up for Resetera.

Their library is huge, of course there will be many people not attracted to every single aaa title.

I am confident this will be successful, maybe even 85 metacritic area.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys any confirmation on dismemberment? I mean dying light had it and it was an open world action horror like this .can someone tweet the devs and request it ?

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Have to be honest that absolutely nothing about this stands out for me so far. It looks kind of boring and run of the mill at the moment.

I hope that it can be fun but I'm not hopeful at the moment

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm also a bit on the "meh" train so far. Main character doesnt do much for me at the moment, and all the gameplay parts that have been shown aren't specifically to my liking. But if it has a solid narrative and it ends up being more than the sum of its parts (a bit that happened with Horizon as well) I'll definitely check it out. I guess I'll wait for reviews and impressions.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Main character looks about as uninteresting as they come.

But I am pretty confident that the game will surprise us for some reason.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
DpOQJqB.gif

Burn !

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, how many good AAA zombie games have been released in the last few years ?

I agree that the infected/zombie theme is tiring, but I can't think of many big games that succeeded in carrying the production values and atmosphere of great zombie comics/TV.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
"No fetch quests or time trials, everything has context"

I hope they mean it. Because you can easily slap a bit of context on top of a fetch quest, and it still remains a fetch quest. We'll see in due time.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
"No fetch quests or time trials, everything has context"

I hope they mean it. Because you can easily slap a bit of context on top of a fetch quest, and it still remains a fetch quest. We'll see in due time.

Someone is bound to point out that when you run out of fuel you have to find fuel to refill your tank, which is in essence, a 'fetch quest'.

DAMN! It was me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Clearing out locations to gain fast travel and radio towers to climb huh?

Sounds like quite the original open world game.
You mean like Breath of the Wild? :)

It's all a matter of implementation.

I am not a fan of Zombie games but Days Gone looks cool enough and the developer is talented. Looking forward to this.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone is bound to point out that when you run out of fuel you have to find fuel to refill your tank, which is in essence, a 'fetch quest'.

DAMN! It was me.
...no. That actually has context, like a pretty meaningful one.

I just hope it's not the same shit like in Mad Max, where it doesn't matter at all. I refilled maybe once and that was prior to the level-ups which made the whole "realism" factor obsolete. "Oh, I magically can drive exponentially longer distances, due to the fact that I increased the attribute points in that one slot during my level-up."

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
probably gonna get this, the only zombie game I really played was Last of Us, so I'm not really jaded yet lol

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Having glanced through the digital issue, here's what I feel are some notable aspects of Days Gone, on top of your usual 'standard open world third-person shooter with towers, enemy camps, objectives to clear, etc etc'

• Game seems like it's designed with the intent of straddling a middle line between the zombie-survival genre and the usual open-world fare. As per what shinobi tweeted, stuff like the alarm being powered by the generator triggering the zombies is something they expect players to basically miss out the first time because there are no tutorial prompts telling you powering up the generator will trigger alarms, you're expected to be surprised by that discovery even though you could also perhaps explore more thoroughly and turn it off in advance. And the game is peppered with aspects of that, ranging from wolves that attack you, marauders, and every time you die, you don't respawn nearly the location. There is a not-so-generous respawn space which, unless you died near one to begin with, will probably force you to travel back all the way to the mission objective instead of spawning somewhere nearby. Enemy also hits you hard and can kill you in a few hits. It's nothing 'innovative', but it seems to be trying to find its mix of Far Cry while having aspects of hardcore survival game tenseness in how easily you can die, a 'punishment' for dying ( respawn far away ), and things that break down and deplete in your motorcycle and fuel capacity.
  • Horde combat does appear to be somewhat fun and dynamic, according to GI's preview. It's not scaled back from E3 2016 seeing as 300 enemies is considered a baby horde by the dev, you do fight hundreds and you can mix and match traversal, vehicle, etc to thin out the horde and there's a lot of focus on movement since enemies chase you and it flows back and forth. The preview doesn't talk about how you can manipulate the horde to affect human enemies, but there appears to be more depth at what they've previewed than just gunning down and running amock.
And then there's stuff like narrative choices, different endings, flashback missions, a focus on integrating the narrative, gameplay and systemic elements of the game, etc etc, but those didn't go into too much detail nor do they have any specific detail in the preview that stands out above other games that have done something similar.

If you're coming in looking for something uniquely innovative, Days Gone probably isn't for you. But the preview does have elements that makes the game sound like it'll have its own gameplay and experience identity.

Thanks for sharing this info :)

I didn't know the game had multiple endings and consequential narrative choices.

I hope we get a video/article about the systemic elements in Days Gone this month.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
...no. That actually has context, like a pretty meaningful one.

I just hope it's not the same shit like in Mad Max, where it doesn't matter at all. I refilled maybe once and that was prior to the level-ups which made the whole "realism" factor obsolete. "Oh, I magically can drive exponentially longer distances, due to the fact that I increased the attribute points in that one slot during my level-up."

I was joking!

It does however touch upon my single and rather 'unpopular' about turn yesterday after watching and listening to what the dev said about the game. Just for context, I'm worried they're just going to throw enemies at you all the time in order to keep it 'dangerous', the one thing that evidently sets this game apart from other open world games. With that in mind:

Imagine you are biking through a deserted location, night is drawing in and your engine suddenly splutters. You realise you are about to run out of fuel and with no sign of civilisation anywhere, you begin to panic. That panic is reliant upon the location you're in at the time. Dread is a wonderful tool to use in horror, it creates an emotion shock value can't but rather enhances the shock factor when it eventually happens. You don't know if you are in danger right now but you do know danger is out there ... somewhere. This is why I don't want them to go the Far Cry 5 route, a game I sold after nearly beating only one region. The game would be much better served if there was nothing in sight at first, no sounds, maybe just an old, broken down shack up on a distant hill. Just one sound -- that's all it would take in this scenario -- to set your nerves on edge. Your palm would be sweaty, your hear beating. Then out of the night pours a hoard of Freakers ...

Now take the same scenario, having already been knocked off your bike twice, having had to swerve many infected, being able to see one or two of the infected up ahead or to the sides, and that wonderful moment of dread is lost. Instead you'll just feel panicked without an emotional set up and that's the poorer side of horror.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This game seems to have a little bit too many 'modern open-world'-tropes to my taste.
HUD all over the place, waypoint markers, towers to climb, predator/batman/witcher/eagle-vision, etc.

Also the whole shooting vs AI with guns was looking a bit stiff and clunky so far.

The graphics look great, though :)

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was joking!

It does however touch upon my single and rather 'unpopular' about turn yesterday after watching and listening to what the dev said about the game. Just for context, I'm worried they're just going to throw enemies at you all the time in order to keep it 'dangerous', the one thing that evidently sets this game apart from other open world games. With that in mind:

Imagine you are biking through a deserted location, night is drawing in and your engine suddenly splutters. You realise you are about to run out of fuel and with no sign of civilisation anywhere, you begin to panic. That panic is reliant upon the location you're in at the time. Dread is a wonderful tool to use in horror, it creates an emotion shock value can't but rather enhances the shock factor when it eventually happens. You don't know if you are in danger right now but you do know danger is out there ... somewhere. This is why I don't want them to go the Far Cry 5 route, a game I sold after nearly beating only one region. The game would be much better served if there was nothing in sight at first, no sounds, maybe just an old, broken down shack up on a distant hill. Just one sound -- that's all it would take in this scenario -- to set your nerves on edge. Your palm would be sweaty, your hear beating. Then out of the night pours a hoard of Freakers ...

Now take the same scenario, having already been knocked off your bike twice, having had to swerve many infected, being able to see one or two of the infected up ahead or to the sides, and that wonderful moment of dread is lost. Instead you'll just feel panicked without an emotional set up and that's the poorer side of horror.
Man...I thought you meant it. Most of the time I'm shaking my head when somebody fails to detect obvious sarcasm and now I'm doing it myself. :D

And yes, I know exactly what you mean. In general, that dev in the video didn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding the outcome of Days Gone, because it just didn't sound very convincing imo and I actually don't think that the "constantly dangerous" factor is any new for Open World games. To a point Far Cry and Dying Light work in a very similar fashion and especially in the case of Far Cry I'm pretty sick of it. Driving a route, killing all of the enemies on the way, only to redo all of that on the way back is just so incredibly annoying to me. Far Cry 2 is the biggest offender for this tbh...that whole "feature" was an annoyance altogether.

I love Far Cry 3, but since then there was not Ubisoft-type OW that grabbed me, because they just didn't offer anything new to the medium. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable game - hopefully as much as Dying Light -, but I can't really say that I'm hyped for it.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Man...I thought you meant it. Most of the time I'm shaking my head when somebody fails to detect obvious sarcasm and now I'm doing it myself. :D

And yes, I know exactly what you mean. In general, that dev in the video didn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding the outcome of Days Gone, because it just didn't sound very convincing imo and I actually don't think that the "constantly dangerous" factor is any new for Open World games. To a point Far Cry and Dying Light work in a very similar fashion and especially in the case of Far Cry I'm pretty sick of it. Driving a route, killing all of the enemies on the way, only to redo all of that on the way back is just so incredibly annoying to me. Far Cry 2 is the biggest offender for this tbh...that whole "feature" was an annoyance altogether.

I love Far Cry 3, but since then there was not Ubisoft-type OW that grabbed me, because they just didn't offer anything new to the medium. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable game - hopefully as much as Dying Light -, but I can't really say that I'm hyped for it.

I'm just praying he was caught off guard and felt he had to say something and that was the best he could come up with at the time, although that would be a tad worrying too. One would think he could put his finger on an answer instantly. But, giving him the benefit of doubt, I'd assume the vid was edited by Game Informer to fit the answer in the interview. (fingers crossed). We do see a moment when Deacon hides in a bin so that gives me some 'hope' stealth is a major part and of course, with stealth, could come some of my requirements.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty formulaic, I hope there's a big emphasis on surviving with people and the relationship between everyone.

Ubisoft truly is an inspiration for the industry though, impressive how many things we now consider to be formulaic they brought to the table.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I wasn't super sold of this game, but the info dump does let me see there's alot more here to take in.

Where was all this whining about Radio Towers when the godgame BOTW came out?

Funny how people overlook shit in their favorite titles

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
The game does sound promising, I'm glad they are giving it the time it seems to need to get it where they want. I'm going to guess this years E3 will have a lot about it.