• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Days Gone do on Metacritic/Opencritic?

• 95 or above

Votes: 17 0.8%
  • 91-95

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 86-90

Votes: 364 16.2%
  • 81-85

Votes: 1,045 46.5%
  • 76-80

Votes: 563 25.0%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 217 9.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews for Days Gone will start circulating the internet from April 25, confirmed Sony in an email. According to the email, the review embargo lifts April 25, 5:31 pm IST. This includes both written and video reviews.

SOURCE

There we have it, then. Looking forward to the reviews, I think it will do better than people expect.

Oct 25, 2017
Second Edit: I am looking forward to the game and hope it does well. I'll hold the L for my previous comments

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
"Better than people expect" is a weird term considering I'm not sure we know what people expect for this game.

Like, the previews all read like a 70-75 Metacritic game to me, but I'm not sure what the general expectations are.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of that, they did it with Spider-Man, Horizon, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and God of War.
Conversely, all it means is they may not expect overwhelming praise--something like 83-85 could be the score, and still be "low" for Sony's standards, while it's a good score overall.

Hell, I think they did it with the Order too.

Thats why I think people stayed clear from the game because of the reports of it only being 5hrs and also being a resounding "meh"

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking of that, they did it with Spider-Man, Horizon, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and God of War.
Conversely, all it means is they may not expect overwhelming praise--something like 83-85 could be the score, and still be "low" for Sony's standards, while it's a good score overall.
Bloodborne was the day before release.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still projecting this as a low 80's score. The game will be good it just won't likely be a GOTY contender like God of War, Horizon, and Uncharted. I wouldn't read too much into the embargo being a day before launch. Bloodborne's was late too.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Considering Sony usually let embargos go up a week before for games like GOW and UC4... this is kinda concerning since it is the day before
Spider-Man was 3 days before launch, Bloodborne was 1 day before launch. inFAMOUS: SS was 1 day before launch, The Last Guardian was 1 day before launch etc.

The only real exceptions are God of War and Horizon. Everything else has been within a few days of launch. Embargo date has nothing to do with whether Sony is feeling confident or not. I remember jstevenson saying that Spider-Man's review embargo was a lot later than expected due to the fact that they wanted reviews to run after the Labor Day holiday. Does Spider-Man's review embargo lifting 3 days before launch mean that they weren't confident?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the date is any reason to assume certain review scores one way or another, but Bloodborne was a 3rd party exclusive and not a first party exclusive like this. So there is some difference to that.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So Tidux was right

Bloodborne and Detroit got reviews 1 day before release, hope it will review well

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man was 3 days before launch, Bloodborne was 1 day before launch. inFAMOUS: SS was 1 day before launch, The Last Guardian was 1 day before launch etc.

The only real exceptions are God of War and Horizon. Everything else has been within a few days of launch. Embargo date has nothing to do with whether Sony is feeling confident or not. I remember jstevenson saying that Spider-Man's review embargo was a lot later than expected due to the fact that they wanted reviews to run after the Labor Day holiday.

Ah I see.

I feel day before was the norm back in 2014-5, but I remember with games like Last of Us and U4, the earlier the embargo the higher the confidence in the game.

I should edit my original comment since I feel its going to keep on getting quoted.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the date is any reason to assume certain review scores one way or another, but Bloodborne was a 3rd party exclusive and not a first party exclusive like this. So there is some difference to that.
Even if what you said was right (it's not, Bloodborne is a first party game), what's the difference? Sony decides the review embargo in both cases.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be reminded of Days Gone solely by Era threads with the name in it. For a first-party Sony title the lack of marketing is pretty bonkers.

Can't say I have any interest in it, but I hope for those who do that it turns out to be good.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is a 1st party game, owned by Sony and is an exclusive. It's a 1st party exclusive.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I wrote this game off a long time ago, but I feel like I'm coming around as I think there might just be enough interesting but to get some good sales. It's also at a good time for this type of game to release.

I hope it reviews well, but it's a bummer about the day prior embargo lifting.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've had a couple later ones that turned out well. Until Dawn, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, and Astro Bot we're all closer to release date IIRC

Bloodborne isn't a first-party title until dawn scored a 78 metacritic Spider-Man was three days which is still decent.

I expect it's going to be around in 80

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope the game turns out well, but at least this gives me a short window for cancelling my pre-order if not!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodborne isn't a first-party title until dawn scored a 78 metacritic Spider-Man was three days which is still decent.

I expect he's going to be around in 80
Bloodborne is a first-party game developed by a third-party developer, just like Spider-Man. Hell, the Bloodborne IP is owned by Sony.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

I expect he's going to be around in 80
Sony published Bloodborne so they set the embargo for it. I forgot Until Dawn was that low since it's one of my favorite games this gen.

Oct 30, 2017
lol at many people people expecting 70s on meta.......

This is totally 80s, can't wait for it to exceed the lower expectations.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minimum 80. Previews make it sound like a Far Cry except with a narrative that is substantial.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of marketing? Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about and seeing it at this point.
I hadn't seen a single advert. Compare to the last big Sony first-party title (Marvel's Spider-Man), where I was inundated with public billboards and YouTube ads for weeks prior to launch. The marketing campaign was enormous. Granted, Spider-Man is far more high profile than an original IP, but still.

Having said that, though, I made this post on a public computer that is probably tracking my data; and, immediately thereafter, was served with a Days Gone video ad. So they do exist, lol. I'm just not seeing them at all.