• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Days Gone do on Metacritic/Opencritic?

• 95 or above

Votes: 17 0.8%
  • 91-95

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 86-90

Votes: 364 16.2%
  • 81-85

Votes: 1,045 46.5%
  • 76-80

Votes: 563 25.0%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 217 9.6%

• Total voters

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a couple points below Marvel's Spider-Man.

Perfectly fine but I haven't seen anything standout about it yet.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It will be a great first entry for a trilogy. 83-87. I am betting that it will be repetitive, some complaints about the story dragging, too many cut scenes... But I hope I am wrong and it is another amazing Sony game.

Will get it for 20 or less later this year anyway.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confident with a low 80s score (I'd say an 81) and the game will be enjoyed by the mass general audience. The story will be the deciding factor between a high 70s score or low 80s score.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This game will not score higher than 80 on metacritic

Doesn't mean it'll be a bad game but there has been absolutely nothing shown thus far that gives this game a chance of being "great or exceptional" to reviewers

77 seems about right
Except all the positive previews?

It's hard to tell what a score like 77 even represents to some. It's so close to 80 which is the threshold in which most reasonable people consider a damn good to great game. I'm more than ready for people to find out things about the game that they refuse to look up for themselves.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point on Era

"Well, at least it won't be Crackdown 3"

lol.

I am a little apprehensive myself, but, I think it will be a good solid game.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
lol yes, it sure is. The fact anyone feels the need to point that out shows how skewed and petty this has all become

Gaming reviews have just became so skewed over the years, unlike movies or similar sites that have kept the review process in check on the scale of 1-10 and fairly relative to those scores a LOT of people in gaming see things that are even 70-80 as "mediocre" or "average," whereas in movie review sites a 7 would be seen as a GREAT score to have.

Games just review generally higher compared to movies and similar things.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
80-85

Looks like the hoard and the systems could make for some interesting moments. If they handle the story well enough, it should do well.

Cant wait to find out. With Mortal Kombat not sure if I should get it right away. Maybe if it reviews well.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except all the positive previews?

It's hard to tell what a score like 77 even represents to some. It's so close to 80 which is the threshold in which most reasonable people consider a damn good to great game. I'm more than ready for people to find out things about the game that they refuse to look up for themselves.
77 represents outlets giving it mixed bag reviews (some overly negative bc it doesn't do anything new and some overly positive bc it's a polished game that checks the boxes)

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's score fairly well, in the 80-85. Most polished open world experiences seem to hit that kind of score and think some will be surprised by the quality.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Mid to high 70s I'd guess.

Seems like a bunch of mostly already-done ideas tossed together without being improved upon or evolved much.

Oct 27, 2017
I went from being indifferent to this for years to being hyped from the last few trailers. The world, scale and whole vibe has a lot of potential. Looking forward to it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Dan Ryckert from giant bomb would disagree.
I'm sorry but Dan Ryckert is a fucking doofus 90% of the time, and in this case he was in the minority at the impressions event. He even said as much.

Relying on Giant Bomb for impressions is a bad idea. They are usually the "contrarian" opinion in much of popular video game media.

I love them as personalities and it's an entertaining podcast but I've learned to not trust a word they say.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but Dan Ryckert is a fucking doofus 90% of the time, and in this case he was in the minority at the impressions event. He even said as much.

Yeah, it's hard to take the word of the guy who can't shut up about pro wrestling when he says a game's protagonist is too douchey, or the zombies have a dumb name.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Relying on Giant Bomb for impressions is a bad idea. They are usually the "contrarian" opinion in much of popular video game media.

I love them as personalities and it's an entertaining podcast but I've learned to not trust a word they say.

Giant Bomb are the cynics of the industry. They're the RedLetterMedia of video games.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Dan and Vinny generally are very positive.
I would say Vinny is typically the most reasonable stance guy on the east team.

I won't take almost anything Alex Navarro says with any weight. He's negative about almost anything that isn't either super artsy or niche or it has to be "super self aware" about it's kitschiness.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
There's absolutely nothing shocking or surprising about Dan's impression of the game at all.

It's the same sentiment that was echoed many times throughout the marketing cycle of Days Gone in this forum.

1. Deacon St. John is a fucking stupid name. Also, another angsty gruff white man.
2. Freakers? Who the hell would name it as such? Just call it zombies, devs.
3. Gameplay looks just "fine". Nothing about the gunplay/movement/bike/animation/enemy AI stands out as best-in-class.
4. Nothing unique at an aggregate level. ( in the preview ) It's a hodgepodge of familiar mechanics seen in other open world games, and while individually there are implementations like caring for bike, dynamic movement and interaction, during the demo itself - it wasn't something that stood out loudly compared to say - Nemesis System in Mordor. ( The horde aspect wasn't prevalent in the preview of DG )

Sure, you can say point 1 and 2 are nitpicky and doesn't actually reflect the game experience, but you know what? Many of us, even those interested in Days Gone will go in the game with a dose of skepticism and apathy because of things like 'too many zombie games' and 'open world fatigue' and Dan is honestly just echoing what some people will feel, because while some will find it unprofessional, not everyone can separate their personal distaste of the setting/genre/story from the game experience.

Oct 25, 2017
A name of something being a criticism (regardless of how slight or major) is peak internet. Nonsense.

Last edited: