• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Days Gone do on Metacritic/Opencritic?

• 95 or above

Votes: 17 0.8%
  • 91-95

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 86-90

Votes: 364 16.2%
  • 81-85

Votes: 1,045 46.5%
  • 76-80

Votes: 563 25.0%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 217 9.6%

• Total voters

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have to pretend. It's nonsense. It's a bunch of arbitrary qualifiers you created to suit your narrative while ignoring things that don't fit. It has zero bearing on whether or not Days Gone will be well received.

But we both know why this game has not got an earlier embargo. This is the first Sony first party 'big' game that has an embargo like this for a while.

Sony knows there is a negative reaction to this game online. Why would they not put reviews out early if they were confident in critical acclaim? What reason do they have to hold this one back whilst allowing all their other big games to have early embargoes? Do you not find it atleast abit suspicious, or are we going to start cherry picking smaller games with budgets a fraction of Days Gone? Yes, Days Gone is different from Astro Bot and MLB. The budget is many, MANY times more and more risk comes with it. Compare it to games with similar budgets.

We both know this game is unlikely to get critical acclaim like similar Sony first party games, but you want to act like what I am saying holds no merit.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Antagonizing other posters
I continue to be reminded of Days Gone solely by Era threads with the name in it. For a first-party Sony title the lack of marketing is pretty bonkers.

Can't say I have any interest in it, but I hope for those who do that it turns out to be good.
I think Bend Studio's PR manager LoudNinja is doing a good job of marketing it

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
But we both know why this game has not got an earlier embargo. This is the first Sony first party 'big' game that has an embargo like this for a while.

Sony knows there is a negative reaction to this game online. Why would they not put reviews out early if they were confident in critical acclaim? What reason do they have to hold this one back whilst allowing all their other big games to have early embargoes? Do you not find it atleast abit suspicious, or are we going to start cherry picking smaller games with budgets a fraction of Days Gone? Yes, Days Gone is different from Astro Bot and MLB. The budget is many, MANY times more and more risk comes with it. Compare it to games with similar budgets.

We both know this game is unlikely to get critical acclaim like similar Sony first party games, but you want to act like what I am saying holds no merit.

Again, we don't know that. You don't know that. You don't know shit. You keep saying "we know, we know, we know" as it's the basis of your premise, which is the problem. There are plenty of examples of games with early embargoes that review poorly, and many examples of games with late embargoes that review well. In fact, there are plenty of examples from Sony themselves, yet for whatever stupid reasons you come up with you decide they don't count because they challenge your flimsy premise and you don't like that. Like so what if Astro Bot and MLB have smaller budgets? If Sony somehow knew they were going to review well, why wouldn't they have had earlier embargoes if Sony cares as much as you say they do? I have no idea how Days Gone will review. It could do well, it could do poorly. What Im saying is, based on history, the date of the embargo doesn't tell us a whole lot. In short, what you are saying is dumb as hell but by all means, continue to double down on it. Those goalposts need movin'.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing the scores. Days Gone |OT| The hype is gone

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking it's gonna be low 80s, mid 80s is the story is good. I'm looking forward to it regardless.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be reminded of Days Gone solely by Era threads with the name in it. For a first-party Sony title the lack of marketing is pretty bonkers.

Can't say I have any interest in it, but I hope for those who do that it turns out to be good.

The last month video game outlets have been bombarded with Days Gone stuff based on that play test Sony had in March. There was a ton of coverage. You are also starting to see the commercial on YouTube a good amount.n Like what kind of marketing do you expect to see that you are not seeing? "Needs more marketing" often just seems like a throwaway criticism/comment. Days Gone may or may not be a good game at the end of the day, but I don' think exposure has been part of the problem.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
81-85 would be a very good score, it's what I went for and that's leading by quite a margin.

Era is pro Days Gone. :)

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
78-82 metacritic is my prediction. I don't see it going beyond 84. I feel that some media outlets will harshly critique the game solely because it isn't something "novel". However the emergent world, narrative and fun gameplay will lift it above that minor flaw... Which honestly it shouldn't be penalized for.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How fitting, That's my last day before I go on my playing Days Gone vacation from Era. Can't wait for all the bloodthirsty nerds coming out to bless us with their words of nothing, like Cow. I can almost guarantee a bunch of them have a dedicated discord where they bottle up all their energy, just waiting for a new thread on here lol..smmfh

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My gut is telling me it's gonna be between 77-81, but I went with 81-85 in the poll.

Most previews are positive, but Edge and GB were down on it.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Again, we don't know that. You don't know that. You don't know shit. You keep saying "we know, we know, we know" as it's the basis of your premise, which is the problem. There are plenty of examples of games with early embargoes that review poorly, and many examples of games with late embargoes that review well. In fact, there are plenty of examples from Sony themselves, yet for whatever stupid reasons you come up with you decide they don't count because they challenge your flimsy premise and you don't like that. Like so what if Astro Bot and MLB have smaller budgets? If Sony somehow knew they were going to review well, why wouldn't they have had earlier embargoes if Sony cares as much as you say they do? I have no idea how Days Gone will review. It could do well, it could do poorly. What Im saying is, based on history, the date of the embargo doesn't tell us a whole lot. In short, what you are saying is dumb as hell but by all means, continue to double down on it. Those goalposts need movin'.

Of course, we do not know anything. This is all guesses based on what we know. Based on what we know, what do you think this game is going to get on metacritic?

Nobody is saying this game is 100% going to flop critically. We do this thing on forums where we guess metacritic score. This is me using recent history of similar sony games to come to the conclusion that it is perhaps not going to get the critical acclaim as more recent AAA sony games. You can bring up smaller games with smaller budgets, but that is not relevant to this. The goalposts have not moved, it's you are cherry picking certain games and claiming the goalposts have moved. Smaller budget games are not important in reviews and usually sell based on word of mouth rather than review scores and advertising such as days gone. astro bot is not at all a good comparison and you know this. Why continue on with this?

So, what it is going to get on metacritic? You do not know, and I do not know, but we can atleast guess. What do you think it gets? Why do you think most people in this thread are predicting high 70s to low 80s?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm predicting low 80s, comparable to the Infamous games. Solid fun but doesn't push the genre forward in terms of design or storytelling.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
This years MLB The Show had an embargo had a release day embargo and nobody got to play with the online before release.

Its the best release in years, maybe the best ever?
Extactly , goes to show people don't know what the hell their talking about.

Cause a game embargo is released 1 day before the game ,its high or low 70s lol what a stupid thought.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I have absolutely no interest in the majority of Sony first party titles, but I'm expecting 75-85 for this entry.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will not score higher than 80 on metacritic

Doesn't mean it'll be a bad game but there has been absolutely nothing shown thus far that gives this game a chance of being "great or exceptional" to reviewers

77 seems about right

Azdoune

Oct 31, 2017
It's ridiculous to see that much of hate for this game.
Since the first presentation, the game seems to have no downgrade, the hordes are interesting in terms of scenario and gameplay.
I don't see a game which done something badly.
Nobody knows the quality of the story.
Just explain me why so much hate.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Under 75.

New Dawn is sitting at a 71. The formula has gone stale. I hope this game turns out good but I have my doubts

Except New Dawn released less than a year after FC5, with little to no innovation.
The formula has not gone stale, Far Cry as a brand has gone stale.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The game will absolutely review between 76-82 on MC. Besides Bloodborne Sony has always set the embargo dates quite strategically. They already know. So now that you guys already know this, there is no need to go crazy when the reviews drop. Stay calm and remember that a score above 75 indicates a very solid to good game and not some piece of shit. A score like this doesn't end Sony's streak of good games, it doesn't end the world. It will be fine and provide a lot of enjoyment for many people.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Below 75 for me. I don't think the game looks bad besides the dumb AI and some rough animations/hit reactions, but I also don't see anything that stands out.

I think it will depend a lot on the pacing and mission design. Balancing will also be really important with all the upgrading stuff. I do really like the idea of the moto being the checkpoint, though that will also depend on how long the missions are and if you lose a ton of progress if you die.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game will absolutely review between 76-82 on MC. Besides Bloodborne Sony has always set the embargo dates quite strategically. They already know. So now that you guys already know this, there is no need to go crazy when the reviews drop. Stay calm and remember that a score above 75 indicates a very solid to good game and not some piece of shit. A score like this doesn't end Sony's streak of good games, it doesn't end the world. It will be fine and provide a lot of enjoyment for many people.

*New streak. Their old streak died with Order 1886 XD

Sorry, I'm just being funny. I agree with you, 75 doesn't mean it's bad even. Hell maybe it shocks us all and drops a 95. I'm on board for it. I love me some zawmbie killing.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I'd be shocked if this got higher than an 80 metacritic. I expect a solid mid-70s game at best. At this point it's still looking like 2013: The Game, and early impressions have been mixed, though admittedly some have been rather positive. It's certainly going to be one of those titles that many people love and others loathe. There's no reality where I could see it being a critical masterpiece.

May 17, 2018
I think it looks good, but, almost every critic I listen to seems to have already made up their minds about this game, so, I'm expecting 70's as well.