• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another Ghost Recon Wildlands.
Fun for folks that are into that kind of gameplay but a pass for most. Both scored in the 70s.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he was referring to hype in online communities, i'm referring to the marketing sony gave it.
So as I said, I feel lol those can be construed differently.

When I see Terry Crews in something, my hype level rises. Era loves him too so I honestly think Crackdown 3 had more hype, especially considering that it was a sequel to a cult classic of sorts.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a note, Dying Light was a low 70s game and it was successful enough including with its post-launch support that

Dying Light was a low 70s game and it was successful enough including with its post-launch support that we're getting a Dying Light 2 that looks a lot better.

The Order was a super short and linear game. Days Gone is as close to sitting in the 60s, as The Order is to sitting in the 50s. I don't think it's ideal comparing both situations.

Dying Light is a better game. Full stop.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5/10 fro Saudi Gamer
https://saudigamer.com/review/days-gone/
google translation
Days Gone offers a fun game experience with a lot of elements but lacks the refinement and creativity and innovation, long hours of the game by its main story and if you love to collect everything with games, this game is very busy with so many side missions and developments that are available to you, This game has exceeded my expectations after my experience of it more than once before the E3 exhibitions in the past years and with some additional modifications perhaps in the next parts may be the game is one of the titles of the other distinctive Sony and our series Anshardd example after the first part was medium but turned The chain then to a very strong title and Game Days Gone Remember me so much.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Man, this thread. I get that the fanboys can be annoying, but some people here are outright toxic.

As always I'm more interested in peoples experiences posted here/in my social circle then reviews. And more interested in how good or bad the game will do saleswise.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.
Agree with this post 100%

I don't think this will be a terrible game and have no doubts the performance issues will be corrected via patch. Will be picking it up at a discount this summer when there's nothing else to play

Oct 25, 2017
Klepek's review (in progress?) is scathing.

What I don't understand is how Sony, who are amazing at funding creative and varied projects, greenlit a generic dudebro biker game with zombies. I know that this was probably done ages ago, but it seems so out of character for Sony to push something so creatively bankrupt and uninspired.

You had mother fucking Syphon Filter right there. In your lap.
They went with biker zombies.

Sorry, still a little salty lol.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's spin city for the die hard defenders of this game

The amount of vitriol that was spewed at people (like myself) for stating this was "generic" and skeptical because Sony Bend were an unproven developer is pathetic. I have no doubt this game will sell well and will have mindless fun with the zombie hordes but this was never going to be some special "amazing" experience like GoW/Spider-Man/TLOU/Uncharted/Infamous/Horizon etc

Those developers have proven track records and an army of top tier talent. I think Bend just got caught up in the "TPS narrative" experiences the other 1st Party Studios were shooting for and thought they could match that level of intensity and perfection

Generic is a terrible criticism though. It really is.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
75 is not a bad score...if your game is a low budget indie title that's like $20.
I'm not sure if I agree there - the lower the budget, the more important critical reception is for discovery and user acquisition. The big budget games just throw more $ at that problem.
Of course, image of the publisher/platform holder, and higher risks given how big-budget releases are really scarce in comparison raises the critical reception importance from that perspective.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's a lower metacritic than I was expecting (I guessed 79..), but the reviews averaging around 7/10 still mean it's pretty solid, if flawed and not for everybody.

I hope this doesn't put off the people that were excited for this game too much.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not if it drops below a 7/10 right? Anyway my first point wasn't about scores, it was about the actual reviews (which are more important). Cling to your 7/10 if you want, whatever makes you happy :)
It at 73 right now. It will drop to 70 is my guess. In the end, (yes, I'm saying it again) it's a 7/10 game. It's a good game. And that, yes, makes me happy :)

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Horde is a late game stuff??

Wtf this is the main selling point of the game

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yes but similarly priced at $60, and that's where it's actually in same ball game. There are many quality games released today, you wanna earn those $60, you gotta be up there. The competition is real.
You're definitely not wrong, but I maintain that a 75 for a new IP isn't nearly as bad as a 75 for God of War 2 would've been. There's a lot more room for error (and for consumers forgiving said errors).

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Haha, oh wow, a 73 metascore.

That's fucking woeful.

I mean Jesus, it managed to stay out of the Forbidden Numbers, but only just. A game has to be phenomenally mediocre to leave video game reviewers that unimpressed. It's even trailing behind that third person Left 4 Dead ripoff that just came out.

I was actually going to buy this tomorrow, but it's going directly into the bargain bin. I don't think I'll have to wait long for it to get cheap.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, after the last few weeks of previews I was expecting scores quite a bit higher.

Seems like a competent, but overall forgettable open world game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I knew this was going to be weaker than some people thought, but I thought my 78 guess was pretty solid. Some of these scores are genuinely bad, it's Anthem all over again.

It's funny because I voted for the 70-79 metacritic score in the poll but I was actually expecting it to land somewhere in the low 80s.

It sounds like this game is kind of what everyone expected: it's a game with cool ideas/moments but overall it's aggressively mediocre (at best). It's by no means a terrible game but just very "meh".

I have no interest in playing this game but honestly I kind of hope they get the chance to make a sequel as it sounds like this game could be a good foundation for a future game.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Fun for folks that are into that kind of gameplay but a pass for most. Both scored in the 70s.

And Wildlands sold a LOT of copies and people were shocked by that. It'll happen here again. Walking Dead has been on TV for a decade, people love generic mediocre stuff

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I imagine Naughty dog,Sucker punch and Kojima must be looking at these scores right about now and trying to reevaluate their strategy
TLOU2 might be safe since it's more linear, but Ghost of tsushima and Death stranding are both open world games
and in 2020 the world won't be so kind to open world games anymore, hope they manage to meet expectations but I have my doubts especially for death stranding hope I'm wrong tho and they turn out to be amazing experiences but who knows
You are naively optimistic. Obviously every Sony 1st Party game, even Naughty Dogs, is doomed because Bends first console game in ages didn't turn out to be amazing.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Ghost Recon Wildlands is one of my favorite and most played games this generation. Probably played through it 3 times and then some and it's 70 on metacritic.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was expecting mostly 8s. I was gonna order today but maybe I will wait until this fall when it's 30 bucks.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I look confused when I see people say the game is getting slaughtered/it's a massacre when it's mostly 7's.

What the fuck is it called when a game gets mostly 4's or below?

The review scales nowadays rarely trend that low. The best you can do is look at Days Gone's score and compare it to other games of its ilk. It's there that you see that the game is way below similar games in terms of reception.
There seems to be nothing about this game that justifies its existence in a market absolutely bouncing with excellent open world game of this type.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I hope well for the Bend guys.

I gotta say, this type of game doesn't really interest me at all, and generally these types of games are always criticized heavily in reviews. I would have wished they went for a more distinctive type of game like a Resistance spiritual successor.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Really wanted this game to do well, It's such a shame it's reviewed this low. I will support them by buying the game at some point when it hits a sale. But what does this mean for Sony Bend? Their first console release in over 15 years and it's a 72?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there is a difference to the expectations based on a game's budget and dev/publisher pedigree.

This was one of the most divisive games on the forum for months, perhaps years, and was voted alongside Crackdown 3 as most likely to be the biggest flop of the year. The expectation wasn't as high as you're making out.

Bend also doesn't command the kind of pedigree ND, SSM etc do either, and no publisher gets it right every time. Hell, I'm surprised Sony managed to go as long as they did without a first party blunder.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The biggest downer from all these reviews is that it sounds like the game is aggressively bloated.

20 hours to reach the end of Act I? 40 hours until your first horde mission? I thought hordes were supposed to be the signature gameplay feature of this game -- not a detail that gets stuffed in after you have nearly 2 days' worth of in-game playtime.

Agree with this - I would definitely give the game a shot if it was a limited 12 hours experience or so on.

The longer a game, the better it needs to be to hold my interest for all those hours.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
The edge review will drag the meta below 70 in the end

As for sony, they dont need a big first party game. They'll be fine coasting until the ps5

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
75 is not a bad score...if your game is a low budget indie title that's like $20. Can you imagine Sony releases Uncharted 5 and it gets below 80? Or God of War 2 that's 70. Not a good look right?
Those games also wouldn't be those studios' first AAA console game. They have the experience and history for making amazing console games.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
72 on MC is a lower than my prediction but I am still looking forward to playing the game tomorrow. Some good scores and some average so definintely very mixed reactions, it does seem some of the European reviewers prefer it to the US strangely.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
yeah i can't take people who think this is a decent or good result seriously. i can imagine no one at bend is happy right now, this isn't the number you want after spending years on an exclusive for a publisher like sony. this is a bad result by any definition.

Exactly. Critically this is super unimpressive score

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Klepek's review (in progress?) is scathing.

What I don't understand is how Sony, who are amazing at funding creative and varied projects, greenlit a generic dudebro biker game with zombies. I know that this was probably done ages ago, but it seems so out of character for Sony to push something so creatively bankrupt and uninspired.
It feels very un-Sony like. Like all their studios make these visually distinct games, and out of nowhere comes Bend with another zombie shooter that looks like every other open world game.

Maybe they need to introduce some rules regarding their creative freedom. "Guys we already have TLOU, can u give us some of that Syphon Filter goodness again?!"

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.

It's an enthusiast forum. I'd rather see people excited about something than be constantly negative. I never thought days gone looked that great, but I've had so so games that excite the shit out of me just the same as anyone else.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Dying Light was a low 70s game and it was successful enough including with its post-launch support that we're getting a Dying Light 2 that looks a lot better.

The Order was a super short and linear game. Days Gone is as close to sitting in the 60s, as The Order is to sitting in the 50s. I don't think it's ideal comparing both situations.
Dying Light is the best zombie game this gen so far, and it has the word of mouth to show for that.
It at 73 right now. It will drop to 70 is my guess. In the end, (yes, I'm saying it again) it's a 7/10 game. It's a good game. And that, yes, makes me happy :)
Depends on some publications though, i can see Edge giving this game a 4.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well it always suck when these big budget single player only(?) titles don't get higher ratings since it of course will affect the sales. Less sales of big budget games may risk less investment from publisher to go forward with other single player experiences.