Days Gone Review Thread (See Staff Post)

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
My expectation for this game was that it will be fun to be play but won't win critical acclaims. Kinda like reading a Warhammer 40k book, don't bother bringing the subject up at book club.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Boy oh boy was I wrong. Expected only a few really bad scores but not this. Sony first party was bound to miss on a game eventually, I guess. Must suck for the team at Bend.

Bundy

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good is the minimum I expect from Sony games these days. The Order 1886 looks incredible but was a bad game imo. I can't think of many games from Sony that don't look good.
The problem is that Days Gone is at the lower end. Look at other Sony games such as H:ZD, Spider-Man, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. Even GT Sport has a higher score and probably would review much better now will all the added content.
The Order was an overall bad game and way too damn short. But pretty, yes. Horizon, Spider-Man, TLOU, Uncharted etc. are made by huge 300+ teams. Days Gone by a 60 - 110 team. Looks pretty good for that. And again, it'a a good game. Let's see what they can do while being a 110-130+ dev team since day 1 on the PS5 :)

Blackbird

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Eh? the game has 40 hordes 3 are story related we knew that for a long time now. Hordes was always just a enemy type.
It definitely felt weird reading about it there, i would 100% expect this to blow way up more if it was actually the case.

Interesting to say the least, but so i don't think it's that much reflective of the actual game.

Omnistalgic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Seems like a good game but I’ll wait for the updates and no need to get it @$60...

Lower than the low 80’s I was thinking it would get based on previews, but let’s see how this correlates to sales.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the reviews seem to say that you don't have the skills/upgrades to take on hordes until very deep into the game. That's not to say that there are no hordes at all in the early game, just that you will mostly be avoiding them or running from them.

Gamespot says the first horde-related mission is after 40 hours.
The fuck!! 40 hours??? That’s ten hours after I’d prefer the game to have ended lol

Man, these open world games need to learn how to edit

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Klepek's review (in progress?) is scathing.

What I don't understand is how Sony, who are amazing at funding creative and varied projects, greenlit a generic dudebro biker game with zombies. I know that this was probably done ages ago, but it seems so out of character for Sony to push something so creatively bankrupt and uninspired.
You're talking about the studio heads that decided to greenlight Knack 2, right.

Karppuuna

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting really mixed scores, some people like it and then there is people how hate it, there is no middle ground.
Usually that means that this is maybe a future cult classic.

Ramjag

Oct 25, 2017
This is pathetic dude
It’s crazy how much joy is taken by some when a game doesn’t do so well. I honestly wonder what motivates people to come around after a game gets an average score and start shitting on people who were excited previously or talking about vindication for some person they’ve never met. I don’t see why some are so invested myself.

Bundy

Oct 27, 2017
I always found this game to be uninspired...well that isnt completely true. It looks like they tried to take Daryl from The Walking Dead, and threw him into a world with zombies from World War Z, but instead of calling them walkers from The Walking Dead, they call them Freakers.

Anyways, it has a 7/10 right now which is decent, but there is a lot of reviews pointing at this game as being bad. I hope the game does ok though, as I do think Bend Studios has potential. I enjoyed Golden Abyss on the Vita.
Imo that's how I always saw it. A Walking Dead/Sons of Anarchy mix. I like it :P

Rikucrafter

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Bend downplaying begins I see. I mean, it's ok not to like their games but to say they're not capable of a full console experience... what does that even mean?
For me it meant that the last two games I played from them were Resistance Retribution and Uncharted Golden Abyss and neither of those have really stood out as indicative of what I’d consider immaculate design. Both has questionable decisions in their gameplay patterns that I wasn’t a fan of and I didn’t believe that the studio that created those two games would be able to escape that cycle and be free of the same issues that plagued those.

I was ready to be pleasantly surprised but it just doesn’t seem like I will be. I’m still in day one and have my preorder ready to go. I lacked faith in a studio with no proven track record on console games in the last decade (not entirely their fault if they didn’t get a say in what they were making). I hope that I enjoy the game more than a lot of reviewers did.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised it was glowing. Other than the very first trailer I saw nothing of the game other than an hours playthrough on Gamespot yesterday, and here's what I saw within 40 minutes:

1. Stamina bar
2. Having to gas your bike
3. Durability in weapons
4. "Detective" mode

These are literally things people have been complaining about in games for a while and want removed, yet here we are with a game with all 4 thing in it. How is this a surprise?

Add in generic white guy and you basically have a "paint by numbers" style video game.
This forum has an issue with hyping things up to an unreachable level. It happens with every exclusive game and it’s doesn’t do anyone any favours.

Dabi3

Oct 27, 2017
This game was such a huge wildcard. Giving a studio that’s specialized in portable games an open-world (something they’ve never done), console AAA ( a first for them in like 15 years), new IP (another first) is a lot to manage.

Hopefully this still sells well

data

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the reviews seem to say that you don't have the skills/upgrades to take on hordes until very deep into the game. That's not to say that there are no hordes at all in the early game, just that you will mostly be avoiding them or running from them.

Damn. I was hoping there would be smaller hordes to get you used to the mechanic.

pazinyo

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
A lot of people on Era have come so far in life without learning the difference between hopes and expectations.

Do yourselves a favour and google it, instead of writing another shitpost, salty defense or console war bait.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering why this thread got so big this fast.

Didn't see those kind of score incoming. I wonder if being too similar to TLOU 2 resulted in too high of expectations..... bummer.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Shame to hear the story seems like a bit of a mess, it was the main reason I was interested in giving the game a try.

Deep sale in 2020 it is, then. If even that.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
Every game has to be a 9 then to warrant attention?
Mind you a 7 isn’t inherently bad, but I mean again this isn’t a Knack or a State of Decay or even a Crackdown 3/Anthem situation where it’s clearly a development hell issue. It’s just an average game, and when you set a standard of incredible average just isn’t good enough.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Days Gone by a 60 - 110 team. Looks pretty good for that. And again, it'a a good game. Let's see what they can do while being a 110-130+ dev team since day 1 on the PS5 :)
There are plenty of smaller sized teams that make much better games. Perhaps they should have gone for something smaller scale if they didn't have the man power?

nib95

Oct 28, 2017
This is not a " love it or hate it " game. It's a fillers-ridden mediocre open-world action game.
There are 34 80 and above reviews for the game, including from outlets like Videogamer, IGN Italy, IGN Spain, TheEscapist, LevelUP, GamePro, Gamer.nl, JeuxActu, Eurogamer Italy, 4Players.de and so on.

J-Skee

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a game you can properly enjoy once it's patched up. And it's so weird seeing this & Mortal Kombat 11 coming out in the same week with both having major issues. I really hope both games figure it out.

joe_zazen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think, as per every other review thread, some are hellbent on focusing on predominantly the most scathing reviews, ignoring the more positive ones. There are 41 positive reviews, 24 mixed, and 2 negative, hence the aggregate is as it is, and not as awful as some are making out.
Reviews dont move the needle much wrt sales and maus and whatnot, but the do provide ammunition for fights. That is where their importance lay.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It’s just funny because this was one game where I got into some pretty genuine debates with folks who swore this was going to be a winner, and it got to the point where I kept doing double takes and thinking to myself “seriously now, are we looking at the same game? Am I taking crazy pills?”.

I feel like anyone should have seen this coming from a mile away, at no point did the game ever exude that “something special” to put it ahead of the pack. I tried my best to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I don’t actively want any game to fail, but I had no idea what the fans of this game were seeing that I wasn’t.
Honestly, I was kind of hoping reviews for this game would surprise me but these scores and the reviews I've read have all confirmed to me that this game is actually what I thought it was. Open world games are some of my favorites but even mediocre or average open world games have hit a point for me where they can quickly feel like a slog to play through.

I hope a lot of people enjoy it because like I said before, I could see a Days Gone 2 being something special. I'll definitely give Sony Bend kudos because this game is crazy ambitious compared to what Sony Bend has made in the past.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Imo that's how I always saw it. A Walking Dead/Sons of Anarchy mix. I like it :P
That is fair if you like that. I personally havent cared about Walking Dead since probably season 3, and Im not a huge Zombie game fan either other than a select few, even when they were absurdly popular during the PS360 era. Its just one of those trends that have passed me by.

Zedelima

Oct 25, 2017

Oh! Thats kinda of a relief.

I think is more fun t

hmmm! So you can find them.

Is better this way, maybe. I think i we should not be able to kill a entire horde haha is more fun to run or hide if you’re trying to survive

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Dying Light is a better game. Full stop.
Dying Light tried some things and I think a lot of people appreciated that aspect that it was different. Seems like Days Gone was just trying to do what has already been done.

Which is sad because that is what tons of people said when it was announced. "How is this game going to be any different than another open world game or zombie shooter?" Seems that Bend never really had an answer for that.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Scathing reviews but expected. The game just looked awful. Hopefully bend is safe though but who knows with Sonys history of axeing or cutting ties with studios that don't perform well.