• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Days Gone Review Thread (See Staff Post)

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 2, 2018
Low 70s certainly isnt good, regardless of what reviewers say it means. You dont get to assign an adjective to these scores by just "saying so", you do it by being consistent across all your reviews. And considering how overblown review scores are, low 70s isnt good, no.

But id say the game is still worth your time if you are really into the genre, and have nothing else to play right now. Thats how id interpret low 70s.
low 70s isn't good?

its decent.

Its just not great.

Oct 29, 2017
Low 70s certainly isnt good, regardless of what reviewers say it means. You dont get to assign an adjective to these scores by just "saying so", you do it by being consistent across all your reviews. And considering how overblown review scores are, low 70s isnt good, no.

But id say the game is still worth your time if you are really into the genre, and have nothing else to play right now. Thats how id interpret low 70s.
the review scores this gen have been far harsher so no , its not overblown and 70 is not bad , its fine , its ok, its decent . And days gone is ok, its not bad its not good either

Jan 16, 2018
lol i dont even have the game, but thats not the general opinion. its on 72 right now, this is not bad.
Well, it is average going by how Metacritic scores games. If it were a movie it would have a green color at 72 instead of yellow. If I recall correctly, Metacritic asked game publications about the way they score games ("is 70 good or average" I think etc) and the current color coding was the result. I can't remember exactly but it is something like that.

Here's my review on Walmart:

https://ideas.walmart.ca/days-gone-review/

88% from me.

Review quote:

"Days Gone is glorious. It took some time for the story to find its groove, but once it did I was hooked. Deacon is a deep, interesting protagonist that’s far more nuanced than he initially appears. After completing the game I immediately hoped for a sequel, and if that’s not a glowing endorsement I don’t know what is."

As to why it's a few days late, I wanted to beat the story (put in a solid 50+ hours) and really do this game justice. Hope you enjoy the review!

Neat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the verge of buying this but not sure if it's worth $60

Finals just ended, and I need something to play. Kinda tired of open-world games after AC Odyssey and Spider-man, although I really liked Far Cry 5. Do you guys think it's worth full price?

Oct 27, 2017
For those still on the fence I would say forget about the reviews, try the game yourself and find out. It's pretty good once you get past the start.

Oct 26, 2017
This game doesn`t deserve a 70 I started the game with the patch 1.06 and it`s very good... Hopefully they make Days Gone 2. For me less than 8 it`s a joke IMO.

Oct 27, 2017

Finals just ended, and I need something to play. Kinda tired of open-world games after AC Odyssey and Spider-man, although I really liked Far Cry 5. Do you guys think it's worth full price?
Yes, it's really good. And meaty (30+ hours only for the story mode).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

I say wait for more fixes and a sale . I personally think its not as good as AC , FC 5 or Spiderman. Its decent, but paying full price for decent its a bit much

Oct 27, 2017
In a world where we have so many open-world games with all manner and quality of gunplay and melee combat, a litany of "zombie" games, and a rise of quality and impressive single-player games, Days Gone might be considered a tough sell.

But it's clear now that reviewers played a buggier, less-well-performing game than players are currently playing. Having to play it on a deadline while receiving three or four patches that didn't make large strides on this until release day, must have been frustrating. This is a game where the discrepancy between reviewers' experiences and players' experiences is unavoidable, but explainable due to the fervent patching leading up to release, and beyond.

Also, it takes a few hours to get into though, but then it both opens up and explains itself more clearly. And yes there are still questions about why certain things work the way they do in the game (the save system in particular), and performance can still use a bit of a lift in certain areas, but the overall ecosystem and gameplay loop is still pretty sound.

The OT can answer a lot of your questions, but just very quickly: Materials definitely respawn. All fuel containers have infinite fuel.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
low 70s isn't good?

its decent.

Its just not great.
Scores are meaningless for a host of reasons, but when reviewers score a game, they usually follow a de facto standard.

And that standard may evolve if review scores start being "harsher", but up until now or not so long ago, low 70s meant "avoid it, unless you're a fan of the genre/are striving for a game of this genre".

It's not meant as "terminally bad". Just, "pretty bleh".

That being said, review scores 100% shouldn't prevent someone from enjoying a game if they think it's great.

Trust me, I know the feeling.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I just looked and at his channel and it makes sense. Now that I think of it, was he the one who hated Spider Man with a passion?
Yup. Resident Evil 2 and other games as well. He made like 30 RE2 vids just acting as crazy as possible. I was overjoyed when I saw he started doing the same thing with Days Gone, lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
I’m about 10-12 hours in now and it keeps getting better.

At its worst, it was a slow starter that still felt like a 7/10 but where I am right now is that it’s a quality 8/10 for sure.

I wonder how far the reviewers actually got into the game.

Oct 30, 2017
I’m about 10-12 hours in now and it keeps getting better.

At its worst, it was a slow starter that still felt like a 7/10 but where I am right now is that it’s a quality 8/10 for sure.

I wonder how far the reviewers actually got into the game.
Or the game is being patched constantly and it is a much cleaner bug free version compared to what they played ?

Aug 15, 2018

Not if you're really tired of OW games. I like the game, but in the end it is a Ubi Ow Checklistgame with some game mechanics, that don't work so well.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
In a world where we have so many open-world games with all manner and quality of gunplay and melee combat, a litany of "zombie" games, and a rise of quality and impressive single-player games, Days Gone might be considered a tough sell.

But it's clear now that reviewers played a buggier, less-well-performing game than players are currently playing. Having to play it on a deadline while receiving three or four patches that didn't make large strides on this until release day, must have been frustrating. This is a game where the discrepancy between reviewers' experiences and players' experiences is unavoidable, but explainable due to the fervent patching leading up to release, and beyond.

Also, it takes a few hours to get into though, but then it both opens up and explains itself more clearly. And yes there are still questions about why certain things work the way they do in the game (the save system in particular), and performance can still use a bit of a lift in certain areas, but the overall ecosystem and gameplay loop is still pretty sound.

The OT can answer a lot of your questions, but just very quickly: Materials definitely respawn. All fuel containers have infinite fuel.
And that's why it's a 7/10 game

Oct 25, 2017
Shit away $60 + to see if a game is good. People aren't made of money you know and want to make an informed purchasing decision.
I can see where you’re coming from but I also think it depends on how interested you are in the premise of the game and whether the gameplay does it for you.

Lower reviews don’t necessarily mean you will think less of the game. Higher reviews don’t necessarily mean you will think more of the game. It just depends on your personal taste.

It is a gamble for sure but you do that with every purchase in a sense.

Oct 26, 2017

Personally, I love it. I think it's really good.
I generally don't like open world games but I enjoyed the "odd ones" like Mad Max and Dying Light. Both had fun traversal mechanics and a great atmosphere.
I love zombie games and this one feels like an OW TLOU (a bit clunkier but hey).
I couldn't get into RDR2, loved Horizon, I don't like AC, the only Far Cry I enjoyed was the 3rd one, Spiderman was alright...

Oct 27, 2017
Shit away $60 + to see if a game is good. People aren't made of money you know and want to make an informed purchasing decision.
Well what more do you want me to say,? There is plenty of review material out there to browse through and people gave their impressions.

I understand the price dilemma but ultimately I feel those of you who depend too much on reviews and scores are definitely losing out.

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
That was really uncomfortable to watch.
Stopped watching at "this lazy millenia devs", the guy is clearly not right in the head and Bend are clearly not the t millenia dev.
As for the game the more I play the more I like it. Just did my first huge horde and all i can say, it was tense. Loved the whole planning and seing my plan happening felt great.

Eorl

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Well what more do you want me to say,? There is plenty of review material out there to browse through and people gave their impressions.

I understand the price dilemma but ultimately I feel those of you who depend too much on reviews and scores are definitely losing out.
Blind faith on either side of the line need to be tempered. You can base an opinion on what you expect a game to deliver for you from its gameplay, reviews and demos. What comes from that is your choice and yours alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Been listening to a few podcast reviews for this because still not sure.

I’m really surprised the thing they showed first about this game at E3, is something you don’t get to really do until 40 hours into the game. That’s bullshit.

But who knows maybe by the time i buy it they patch it to the point where it’s better?

Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to a few podcast reviews for this because still not sure.

I’m really surprised the thing they showed first about this game at E3, is something you don’t get to really do until 40 hours into the game. That’s bullshit.

But who knows maybe by the time i buy it they patch it to the point where it’s better?
Actually they are something you could encounter any time. You just have to run into them as they don't show up on the map.