• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
This certainly seems like the widest distribution range of scores I've seen in a while.

Still, how did no one stop this earlier in the process? It always looked like what it is.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wished it reviewed better but it is what it is. Really disappointed with a lot of people in here taking so much joy in a game not reviewing super well though. How can we have a site where so many act so high in mighty about things like crunch and then celebrate when a game fails to meet expectations? Obviously that not everybody, but it does suck to see. Never understood that, why cheer about a game not being great?

I'm still looking forward to playing it. I wasn't blown away by a lot of initial showings of the game but thought some of the recent previews looked solid enough. There is clearly reviewers that really liked the game just as there are some that hated it, so I'm hoping I have a good time with it.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
The review scales nowadays rarely trend that low. The best you can do is look at Days Gone's score and compare it to other games of its ilk. It's there that you see that the game is way below similar games in terms of reception.
There seems to be nothing about this game that justifies its existence in a market absolutely bouncing with excellent open world game of this type.
Has any other good open world game released this year so far? I can't remember one...

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.

Yes, but this is not the place. Please go ahead and make a separate thread.
I've tried to touch on that topic in the past but this will always get buried in topic discussion.
We need to stop acting as free hype generators and more like a critical consumer community.

On topic: I wish it would have scored better. I'm very much depending on scores as I simply don't have the time to play all the games I would like to so I have to pick cherries.
Makes you wonder though: horizon was basically also a checklist open world game but they made something really special nevertheless.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This reception is genuinely disappointing.

For the longest time I dismissed it as being another tired check-the-box open world game featuring a gruff white dude doing gruff white dude power fantasy shenanigans.

Then when the long, hour-plus gameplay vids started dropping only just recently I did a complete turnaround, thinking there might be something more here, making it worthy of a second look.

I was really rooting for it in an underdog kinda way.

Damn shame.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm glad you are happy and I hope you enjoy the game but "It's a good game" is not a factual statement. Especially when there is enough evidence to disprove that. For a first party AAA game it's average at best imo as we expect higher quality from first party studios.
In the first years of development, this games was made by 60 devs. That's pretty good. Just look how good it looks.
Of course you can expect higher stuff from first party studios. No problem with that. Do it. Sometimes, you will get masterpieces like God of War and sometimes, you will get good 7/10 games like Days Gone :)

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So it seems like the negative buzz we've heard leading up in the last couple months wasn't some random occurrence.

Game looks like it's not for me. Fetch quests, survival, empty open world, rather bland looking etc.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6.5/10 from God Is a Geek
https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/days-gone-review/
Days Gone is fantastic at times, but there're so many bugs that I wasn't sure if the game was stable enough to continue. Being a Sony first party game, I expected so much more, especially as we've been blessed with games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Marvel's Spider-Man in recent years. The hordes are excellent, and portions of the story are great, but pacing towards the end, a wealth of issues in the gameplay and its technical side make the journey through a destroyed Oregon a real burden at times that I came away more disappointed than impressed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's Jett arguing that all the Infamous games, they made four by the way and also a standalone DLC, are all the same. You're honestly anhedonic.

If you so. I played them all (1&2 to completion, SS I gave up on late in the game). If you want to be pedantic and consider Festival of Blood and First Light as fully-formed, individual games, be my guest. They're all (the three "main" games) exceedingly similar in how they control (the same weirdo-feeling ground movement, jumping and platforming), how their missions are designed (without a lick of variety or complexity), and how their worlds are structured (how are the devs themselves not tried of always splitting the game world in three sections). I sure hope the island Ghost of Tsushima takes place isn't divided in three sections, each gated until you reach a certain point in the story, and all three filled with the exact same type time-wasting "missions."

And they all were very good. :)

They were enjoyable for what they were, yeah. I was lucky enough to get them first two for free and SS for five bucks.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was gonna be an 85+...guess I was wrong. Still looks like people will have fun with it (i'm not into zombie games)

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
There are some crazy overreactions in this thread. The game's entertaining; it never, ever looked like some Game of the Year winning magnum opus. It's exactly what the Metacritic of 71 suggests it is: good, honest open world entertainment.

Like I wrote in my review, it's gaming comfort food: unremarkable but enjoyable all the same.
Well some reviews disagree and really dislike the game, gamespot for example clearly don't think the game is good or very entertaining

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Always entertaining when reviewers get to unleash their pent up hate at a skinny puppy.

Scores are fine given the team size; although it does put a damper on marketing. Sales and customer satisfaction are the only metrics that matter, and we'll see how those turn out.

& you really dont have to worry about bend shutting down. Sony is needs studios and they cant be shutting anymore down.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even if it sells well, I wonder... will Sony greenlight a sequel or maybe new IP?

If the first game prints money then yes (depends on budget and profit). Kack also had terrible scores and they did another game.

Too bad the order 1886 didn't get another chance, one of my favorite worlds this gen despite the game being just okayish.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
You think they've been working on this game for 7 years to be happy with a 71?
I think they are relieved they managed to release their first AAA game in ages, after starting with canceled projects and only 70 devs.
I mean, they probably hoped for a score around 80. 8 points lower is neither great nor a disaster.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe some people are using the word "massacred". lol. It's a 72 on Metacritic!

Dying Light is a 74 on Metacritic and it's one of my favorite games this generation.

Wow didn't know that, Really at 74. Dying Light was fantastic, visually and gameplay. Co-op ton of fun, And the dlc was a great add-on. Warranted a sequel and sold well too so Metacritic scores mean jack sometimes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this - I would definitely give the game a shot if it was a limited 12 hours experience or so on.

The longer a game, the better it needs to be to hold my interest for all those hours.

It sounds like the game's excessive length is only made worse by the fact that a lot of the time is spent travelling around and/or looking for supplies that you need to travel/upgrade.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it nonsense again?
A reboot would be at least pretty fresh setting instead of more zombies.
Because the Syphon Filter IP is dead. They're done with it. Just like Naughty Dog is done with Jak & Daxter.
And you do know that
Gabe died
in the last Syphon Filter game. It's over. Bend doesn't want to make Syphon Filter games for another decade.
They killed Gabe because they said they are done with the Syphon Filter IP.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wrote the Slant review and didn't go into a lot of the story stuff both for space reasons and perhaps being overly cautious re: spoilers, but the thing about the slaves is....yeah.

The game tries to obfuscate some of the bad things Deacon does (or did in the past) so they're not TECHNICALLY slaves so much as people in a "work camp" or whatever and Deacon somehow acts confused about all this, and I can see some folks trying to defend it on those grounds, but...those are slaves, man.
Man, David Cage solved slavery on one Sony game, only to be shat on by another Sony game.

Oct 27, 2017
The scores are bad, but the 4players review (80/100 - their highest review ever is RDR2 with a 94) makes me keep my pre-order.
The same reviewer gave Metro Exodus a 68 because of the bad AI and technical issues. He describes in detail
how he likes the strategic approach of how you can tackle encounters in DG. That's all I wanted to hear.

So people, calm your tits and ask yourselves what you expected from this game in the first place.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well some reviews disagree and really dislike the game, gamespot for example clearly don't think the game is good or very entertaining

And like every game ever, there are others who really like it. And then there's everyone else in that 7/10 territory like me. And that's absolutely fine.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm low on things to play so I was really hoping this would be good. Thank God I listened to reason and didnt pre-order. The scores I don't mind but nothing's worse than an open world with tedious, repetitive missions.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Not interested at all in the game but it's a bummer to see for Bend and Sony. I hope people still have a lot of fun with it

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It isn't ;) But all the "generic" guys who crapped on all the previous Days Gone threads are here, letting it all out.
Oh come on, when at least some reviewers are using words like very good and give it 9/10 and 8.5/10 scores, then it's kinda "good"? It's not great, but it's a 7/10 and so, still a good game ;)
Anthem is a 5.5/10 game (see Metacritic) and Days Gone is a 7/10 :)
It will still be a ~7/10 game. Anthem never will :)
It at 73 right now. It will drop to 70 is my guess. In the end, (yes, I'm saying it again) it's a 7/10 game. It's a good game. And that, yes, makes me happy :)
This is pathetic dude

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by the scores. I skipped all of the preview footage and just watched a trailere here and there, so I'm pretty impressed by the video review footage, except for when bugs are highlighted of course. Also some reviews sound more promising than the score ends up being. I guess I'll find out where I end up when I get it tomorrow. I was hoping for the game to get me out of the gaming slump I'm currently in, so fingers crossed it can still do that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
it's sitting right with world war z on opencritic right now. I think i'd prefer to get that and play co op with the buds.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hmmm...reading about the bloat, I wonder if the delays were due to pressure from Sony to artificially pad out the game.

I've found that for me personally, most of Sony's games, regardless of the overall quality of the game itself, were all longer than they needed to be.

As I've said all along, the E3 build I played was good but I did wonder how it would hold up over 20 hours or so. Hearing how long this game is, I guess maybe the consensus seems about right? Because even the most enjoyable games can drag on too long and start to not feel fun anymore.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
But, but, but... the preview thread was glowing.

I'm honestly surprised it was glowing. Other than the very first trailer I saw nothing of the game other than an hours playthrough on Gamespot yesterday, and here's what I saw within 40 minutes:

1. Stamina bar
2. Having to gas your bike
3. Durability in weapons
4. "Detective" mode

These are literally things people have been complaining about in games for a while and want removed, yet here we are with a game with all 4 thing in it. How is this a surprise?

Add in generic white guy and you basically have a "paint by numbers" style video game.

Jan 29, 2019
I'm still looking forward to playing it tomorrow. Enjoyed plenty of games with similar scores (7/10 is in no way deserving of a lot of these reactions imo) and this one seems just like what I'm currently looking for from a game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
And you chose Dying light because it's a zombie game?
Do we only judge RDR2 against other cowboy games?
I'm talking about the open world genre of which Days Gone is an example, and (when weighed against the competition) a poor one.

Because it's the closest one and was Dying Light a poor game? Absolutely not.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There are some crazy overreactions in this thread. The game's entertaining; it never, ever looked like some Game of the Year winning magnum opus. It's exactly what the Metacritic of 71 suggests it is: good, honest open world entertainment.

Like I wrote in my review, it's gaming comfort food: unremarkable but enjoyable all the same.

I think at this point people should realize that being soulless, unremarkable, generic or anything you wanna call it, is probably way more offensive to some than others.

If i read a review which claims that the game feels like a "AAA" checklist without anything else, it would throw me off more than a experience trying to be something unique but at the same time flawed in its execution.

I don't think there's such a need to defend mediocrity tbh.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending it and I obviously haven't played the game so I don't know exactly how the concept is being conveyed, but isn't slave trade a fairly common theme in post apocalyptic stories? Mad Max and Fallout are two series that immediately come to mind.

Anyway, this game is looking like a big letdown. I had pre-ordered it years ago for $40 and I'm still debating cancelling.

That's true, though I think the issue is less its presence than the game's hesitance to be honest about some of this stuff in a way that makes any particular sense. Deacon is both meant to have Done Things and be plausibly oblivious and I just don't really buy it at all.