• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
The reviews clearly aren't positive enough to shake my ennui towards Days Gone. It's a nice-looking game, but it just seems kind of workmanlike. I was hoping the reviews would indicate otherwise, but clearly not the case.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
70-80 seems alright for this kind of game. It's never gonna be another Red Dead lol.

Zombie open world hasn't been done that much *that I know of* so as long as it's fun to play I might get this down the road.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just look how good it looks.

Looking good is the minimum I expect from Sony games these days. The Order 1886 looks incredible but was a bad game imo. I can't think of many games from Sony that don't look good.

Of course you can expect higher stuff from first party studios. No problem with that. Do it. Some times, you will get masterpieces like God of War and sometimes, you will get good 7/10 games like Days Gone :)

The problem is that Days Gone is at the lower end. Look at other Sony games such as H:ZD, Spider-Man, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. Even GT Sport has a higher score and probably would review much better now will all the added content.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are some crazy overreactions in this thread. The game's entertaining; it never, ever looked like some Game of the Year winning magnum opus. It's exactly what the Metacritic of 71 suggests it is: good, honest open world entertainment.

Like I wrote in my review, it's gaming comfort food: unremarkable but enjoyable all the same.

I think, as per every other review thread, some are hellbent on focusing on predominantly the most scathing reviews, ignoring the more positive ones. There are 41 positive reviews, 24 mixed, and 2 negative, hence the aggregate is as it is, and not as awful as some are making out.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow didn't know that, Really at 74. Dying Light was fantastic, visually and gameplay. Co-op ton of fun, And the dlc was a great add-on. Warranted a sequel and sold well too so Metacritic scores mean jack sometimes.
A game like Dying Light at the beginning of the generation and a game like Days Gone are two totally different animals though. Dying Light didn't have a lot of competition and was an exciting new IP with new ideas. Zombies as a premise were not as played out. When there are so many masterpieces on the market, a middle-of-the-road game like Days Gone just doesn't have the same appeal.

Destiny had a 72 Metacritic and went on to be the best-selling new IP of the generation......but if Bungie released something that mediocre today it would have been eaten alive.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I always found this game to be uninspired...well that isnt completely true. It looks like they tried to take Daryl from The Walking Dead, and threw him into a world with zombies from World War Z, but instead of calling them walkers from The Walking Dead, they call them Freakers.

Anyways, it has a 7/10 right now which is decent, but there is a lot of reviews pointing at this game as being bad. I hope the game does ok though, as I do think Bend Studios has potential. I enjoyed Golden Abyss on the Vita.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
It's just funny because this was one game where I got into some pretty genuine debates with folks who swore this was going to be a winner, and it got to the point where I kept doing double takes and thinking to myself "seriously now, are we looking at the same game? Am I taking crazy pills?".

I feel like anyone should have seen this coming from a mile away, at no point did the game ever exude that "something special" to put it ahead of the pack. I tried my best to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I don't actively want any game to fail, but I had no idea what the fans of this game were seeing that I wasn't.

Judging by the score predictions nobody expected the game to be amazing but just a good solid game.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprising scores so far. I was pretty confident that it'd hit at least 80 but I've never been the best at judging the reception of these games.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The he narrative around that game here still baffles me. It was a good game, and was successful: Wildlands sold 4 million units in its first 6 months. I don't see how that's categorized as a pass for most, and I'm willing to bet with the heavy marketing Sony has been doing, as well as their general track record even mediocre reviews are not going to stop this from being a successful sales hit.

I'm a bit surprised by the trend towards the middle as far as the reviews go, but I'm still looking forward to playing it on Friday. There's no way it can be more disappointing or bad than Just Cause 4
I cant wait to start playing it also, its my kind of game. For the record i played wildlands so much that I eventually got the plat for it.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an enthusiast forum. I'd rather see people excited about something than be constantly negative. I never thought days gone looked that great, but I've had so so games that excite the shit out of me just the same as anyone else.
What about having a logical/cautious outlook?

I think some of the expectations were just illogical and unrealistic - Sony studios don't have this magic pixy dust that automatically makes every exclusive great/amazing. They have nurtured and grown these studios over the years to get to the point of where some of them are today

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, really split on what I should do with my Special edition preorder. I still think I can wrangle out some decent fun from this, but uncertain I want to splash out for the price that the special edition sells for. Too bad, really hoped this would be better than just "another open-world game".

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of hilarious how bad some folks are pretending a 72/100 score is.
While I agree with you, I think this sentiment is the result of so many great games releasing every year. All these games, not to mention other entertainment or even the real important stuff in life, are fighting for our time and we have to decide what to spend it on. If Days Gone got 90/100 or even 80/100 review scores, it would get my attention and maybe a sale. Now I'll just pass (probably since I was already on the fence, leaning towards a pass).

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Horde is a late game stuff??

Wtf this is the main selling point of the game
Most of the reviews seem to say that you don't have the skills/upgrades to take on hordes until very deep into the game. That's not to say that there are no hordes at all in the early game, just that you will mostly be avoiding them or running from them.

Gamespot says the first horde-related mission is after 40 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There are some crazy overreactions in this thread. The game's entertaining; it never, ever looked like some Game of the Year winning magnum opus. It's exactly what the Metacritic of 71 suggests it is: good, honest open world entertainment.

Like I wrote in my review, it's gaming comfort food: unremarkable but enjoyable all the same.

Yeah nice review by the way.

I agree it's never looked as good as the likes of Horizon and God of War, when it comes to PS4 exclusives but it's always looked decent and fun.

Seems to be a few overreactions, gotta love review threads. Some reviewers being a bit too harsh on it (no way it's a 5/10 or lower) and then people thinking a 7/10 is a terrible score lol

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
This is the problem when people on this site run full fucking free PR campaigns for games and studios and let their hype get wildly out of control. We get the usual faces posting multiple upon multiple threads pulled from the official PlayStation site/blog with no thoughts of their own, just copy and pasted videos. We got a hype thread with people discussing the glowing previews. It happens all the time but it's overlooked because it's strangely the norm. It's no wonder people expect the world and then feel let down when a game just turns out to be average to good.

I'll be picking this up in a few months with a heavy discount no doubt. The horde mechanic looks great, sadly it seems like it's not used enough.
Good post. The defense force was always strong with this one... Its been impossible to have an even keeled discussion about this game ever since it was first revealed.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You think they've been working on this game for 7 years to be happy with a 71?
It probably stings, but I doubt they're not proud of their work. Even if some aspects of it aren't good, it's definitely something for the studio to be proud of after biting off a massive undertaking for such a small studio who only worked on handheld games for like a decade. It's a good first effort in a series that hopefully they're given the opportunity to revisit. I wouldn't mind them looking at a smaller game next time if they're going to remain the size they are.

I can't believe some people are using the word "massacred". lol. It's a 72 on Metacritic!

Dying Light is a 74 on Metacritic and it's one of my favorite games this generation.
Quoted for truth.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, that happens for all the platforms. There are literally posters who have entire post histories of posting mostly news threads, OT's etc related to a particular platform, that said, I don't necessarily mind it. This forum is so damn toxic and negative that sometimes the news or PR as you put it, helps balance things out somewhat.

I mean I get it and you're right this place can indeed get pretty toxic. I don't want to tell anybody how to post or how to feel or even make a thread discussing over hyping games. Just you know we've got thread marks these days that can be used and linked to. Don't know if this site still has the ''new news, new thread'' rule from the old site but with the new updated features that practise seems outdated. No reason game news, hype checks, new small videos ect ect can't be all kept under one thread with only the actual significant news being worth of a new thread. I guess the problem you have with that though is potential hostility to anybody with a different opinion. It happens a lot on here, discussion gets shut down or hand waved away as trolling because you aren't hyped to the max.

I guess it is what it is. I'll be picking the game up down the line but then that seems the norm for me these days.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
My expectation for this game was that it will be fun to be play but won't win critical acclaims. Kinda like reading a Warhammer 40k book, don't bother bringing the subject up at book club.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Boy oh boy was I wrong. Expected only a few really bad scores but not this. Sony first party was bound to miss on a game eventually, I guess. Must suck for the team at Bend.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking good is the minimum I expect from Sony games these days. The Order 1886 looks incredible but was a bad game imo. I can't think of many games from Sony that don't look good.
The problem is that Days Gone is at the lower end. Look at other Sony games such as H:ZD, Spider-Man, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. Even GT Sport has a higher score and probably would review much better now will all the added content.
The Order was an overall bad game and way too damn short. But pretty, yes. Horizon, Spider-Man, TLOU, Uncharted etc. are made by huge 300+ teams. Days Gone by a 60 - 110 team. Looks pretty good for that. And again, it'a a good game. Let's see what they can do while being a 110-130+ dev team since day 1 on the PS5 :)

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Eh? the game has 40 hordes 3 are story related we knew that for a long time now. Hordes was always just a enemy type.

It definitely felt weird reading about it there, i would 100% expect this to blow way up more if it was actually the case.

Interesting to say the least, but so i don't think it's that much reflective of the actual game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Seems like a good game but I'll wait for the updates and no need to get it @$60...

Lower than the low 80's I was thinking it would get based on previews, but let's see how this correlates to sales.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the reviews seem to say that you don't have the skills/upgrades to take on hordes until very deep into the game. That's not to say that there are no hordes at all in the early game, just that you will mostly be avoiding them or running from them.

Gamespot says the first horde-related mission is after 40 hours.
The fuck!! 40 hours??? That's ten hours after I'd prefer the game to have ended lol

Man, these open world games need to learn how to edit

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Klepek's review (in progress?) is scathing.

What I don't understand is how Sony, who are amazing at funding creative and varied projects, greenlit a generic dudebro biker game with zombies. I know that this was probably done ages ago, but it seems so out of character for Sony to push something so creatively bankrupt and uninspired.

You're talking about the studio heads that decided to greenlight Knack 2, right.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting really mixed scores, some people like it and then there is people how hate it, there is no middle ground.
Usually that means that this is maybe a future cult classic.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
This is pathetic dude

It's crazy how much joy is taken by some when a game doesn't do so well. I honestly wonder what motivates people to come around after a game gets an average score and start shitting on people who were excited previously or talking about vindication for some person they've never met. I don't see why some are so invested myself.