• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
First meeting with the horde under a deluge of rain and lightning, at night in the middle of a mass grave...
my first memory of horde will remain memorable !!! a great video game moment <3 Thx Bend

1556381518-days-gone-20190427154809.png

That's actually a great shot.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
The obsession with metacritic averages is something I can't understand.

Some of my most beloved games got average scores on MC, but that didn't stop me from playing and enjoying these games.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to spend 40 hours with someone and perhaps even feel as though they're your representation in game, it's generally preferable to enjoy their company or at least find them unabrasive. A main character in a video game is a lot different than TV show character.

Except many of my favorite games have either silent main characters (Link, Alundra) or complete assholes like Joel. The problem is that eventually you do need to like them. But in Boston? I thought Joel was an asshole.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Agreed

Feel this is a solid 85 at the very least

Hope that word of mouth is good and counteracts the slightly negative/middling press.

This is a GREAT game, after the reviews I was expecting way worse. The world, driving, shooting, hordes, story...its all very compelling to me.

Honestly shocked that it's this good because typically you only get this quality in more linear games

Agree with this 100%.

Don't really care about the review numbers. 7 or 8 both seem reasonable to me. Totally see why people would not enjoy this game too much.
But 5/10 or 6.5 ?! WTF

IGN and Gamespot are handing out 8s to crappy UbiSoft games like candy and all of a sudden they get tough on "generic open world" design?!
And I'm saying that as someone who respects journalists a lot and always laughed at posters who claim "the fix is in".

IMO the game isn't much better or worse than Far cry 5. No idea how Gamespot gave FC a 9 and DG a 5.

ps. Got DG for free thx to gamesharing. Thank god! Wouldn't have bought it based on the reviews.
Gamespot has always been a go to source for me.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Odyssey is extremely bloated, repetitive and has completely forgettable characters and story, which are common criticisms of Days Gone, I think that's what they are getting at. It completely burnt me out on open world games and I've only done like 50% of it and I am still burnt-out 6 months later.

Though the answer is likely just down to different reviewers.

Yeh I am gonna stop playing AC: Oddysey.
The game is quite bloated and just tedious (especially the levelcap soured me on the game)

Was kinda surprised at the praise for Far cry 5 too. 3 was great (unique), then 4 started overstaying its welcome, and 5 was just boring in every aspect (for me at least).

Days gone look like quite a few open world games, and that is ok. Its the setting that makes the game appealing to someone or not. For me the freakers are interesting enough to carry this game I think, so will get the game further down the line.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is extremely bloated, repetitive and has completely forgettable characters and story, which are common criticisms of Days Gone, I think that's what they are getting at. It completely burnt me out on open world games and I've only done like 50% of it and I am still burnt-out 6 months later.

Though the answer is likely just down to different reviewers.

I'm only 5 hours in, but I can see why AC would be rated better. The main character doesn't talk to himself like an absolute loon in the voice of Paul Smackage in AC, the intro didn't make me laugh because the game plot shouldn't exist (all they had to do was say 1 spot on the chopper, not actively ignore his wife to stay with his tattoo headed friend) and I don't get the SAME GODDAMN SURVIVAL TIPS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I like Days Gone, but it's very much swimming in 7's while AC Odyssey is a much more refined and polished game

When the enemy dodges, press R1 to roll

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this 100%.

Don't really care about the review numbers. 7 or 8 both seem reasonable to me. Totally see why people would not enjoy this game too much.
But 5/10 or 6.5 ?! WTF

IGN and Gamespot are handing out 8s to crappy UbiSoft games like candy and all of a sudden they get tough on "generic open world" design?!
And I'm saying that as someone who respects journalists a lot and always laughed at posters who claim "the fix is in".

IMO the game isn't much better or worse than Far cry 5. No idea how Gamespot gave FC a 9 and DG a 5.

ps. Got DG for free thx to gamesharing. Thank god! Wouldn't have bought it based on the reviews.
It's always better to judge the game after you complete it, or at least one half of it. Mafia 3 is the best action in the world before you reach a 3-4 hours mark. For me, Karak (ACG) and others the problems became more and more apparent and frustrating later. For some they didn't, they gave it a 8 and 9, and that's fine.

Interesting, but I also gave FC5 and Odyssey a 9, while Days Gone started at 8, dropped to 6 and was dropping to 5 all the time because of fetch quests and terrible performance. But I decided to leave it at 6.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with this 100%.

But 5/10 or 6.5 ?! WTF

If I were to choose between AssCreed Odyssey or Days Gone, I would choose ACO without a second thought.

The whole "eavesdropping with forced stealth mission" and "mission failed for leaving mission area" is a nope for me, those are mission design from the 2010s era Ubisoft.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with this 100%.

But 5/10 or 6.5 ?! WTF

Please don't derail this thread to shitting on Ubisoft games to justify how you feel about your purchase. I've been playing since yesterday and the world is not nearly as dynamic as other Ubisoft open worlds.

I do agree that the 5/6 scores are extreme though and the game feels like a solid 7 so far.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play the more I wonder if I'm playing the same game that most reviewers did

It's awesome

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I play the more I wonder if I'm playing the same game that most reviewers did

It's awesome

You're usually pretty hard to please as well lol. Waiting for a deep sale myself, but I'm certainly still interested in the title.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Except many of my favorite games have either silent main characters (Link, Alundra) or complete assholes like Joel. The problem is that eventually you do need to like them. But in Boston? I thought Joel was an asshole.
Silent characters are frequently likeable or unabrasive. Link maybe most of all, his personality is extremely vivid and likable.

Joel is an interesting one because he is indeed an asshole, but it wasn't really til the end of the game that that shone through. Prior to that it was still easy enough to identify with him and find some depth to him.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad to see people playing it are enjoying it lot more then reiews suggest. Will definitely pick it up somwhere down the line

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
It's always better to judge the game after you complete it, or at least one half of it. Mafia 3 is the best action in the world before you reach a 3-4 hours mark. For me, Karak (ACG) and others the problems became more and more apparent and frustrating later. For some they didn't, they gave it a 8 and 9, and that's fine.

Interesting, but I also gave FC5 and Odyssey a 9, while Days Gone started at 8, dropped to 6 and was dropping to 5 all the time because of fetch quests and terrible performance. But I decided to leave it at 6.

Hey, at least I have a reason to finish a game for once now LOL

Please don't derail this thread to shitting on Ubisoft games to justify how you feel about your purchase. I've been playing since yesterday and the world is not nearly as dynamic as other Ubisoft open worlds.

I do agree that the 5/6 scores are extreme though and the game feels like a solid 7 so far.

Like I said above, I did not buy the game.
Wouldn't have bought it myself bc of the reviews (which would have been a shame, based on the first 10 hours of DG).

I also don't hate Ubigames. How could I enjoy DG if I hated FC or AC?
For me (big IMO) I just don't see how FC5 is a 9, while DG is a 5.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
First meeting with the horde under a deluge of rain and lightning, at night in the middle of a mass grave...
my first memory of horde will remain memorable !!! a great video game moment <3 Thx Bend

1556381518-days-gone-20190427154809.png
lol, yeah. I was able to go back and take them all out by the time i made it to hot springs. Cost me 4 mins, 6 molotovs, 2 pipe bombs and a shit ton of stamina.
So satisfying when you take out a hoard so early in the game tho.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Except many of my favorite games have either silent main characters (Link, Alundra) or complete assholes like Joel.

So? Some games have a little shooting space ship or Pac-Man for a main character - but that doesn't mean anything when talking about games with cinematic-like narratives. Link doesn't talk, and that's fine - but what if he did talk and was totally unlikable as a result? A certain type of games and characters require them to be at least somewhat likable.

Also, Joel may have acted like an ass in several parts of TLOU, but in general, he was a likable character. Complex, flawed, but still likable - not for his actions, but as a fictional protagonist you can care about. Also, I think Deacon from DG is fine, I don't consider him unlikable like some here - but I can see why it would be a problem if I did.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I've read somewhere that the game had a troubled development.
7 years in total, correct? I'm just guessing here, but from my limited understanding, SBS isn't that big - 130:ish people?

Did they mainly work on DG all that time or were there several other iterations before we finally got to DG? Were they maybe spending most of their time on modifying the Unreal Engine?

Really hope it sells though! Wouldn't want another studio closure...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only 5 hours in, but I can see why AC would be rated better. The main character doesn't talk to himself like an absolute loon in the voice of Paul Smackage in AC, the intro didn't make me laugh because the game plot shouldn't exist (all they had to do was say 1 spot on the chopper, not actively ignore his wife to stay with his tattoo headed friend) and I don't get the SAME GODDAMN SURVIVAL TIPS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I like Days Gone, but it's very much swimming in 7's while AC Odyssey is a much more refined and polished game

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Odyssey quite a lot before it just got too much (put like 30-40 hours in) and the repetition kicked in big time and the story was completely uninteresting, but if boring open world activities is a deal breaker, Odyssey is 1 of the worse offender I've ever played.
I did enjoy just how extremely cocky the player character is in Odyssey though, great shithead of a character, so I can see her being enough to motivation for some. Whereas Deacon was just a bit boring from the little I've played and seen.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I've read somewhere that the game had a troubled development.
7 years in total, correct? I'm just guessing here, but from my limited understanding, SBS isn't that big - 130:ish people?

Did they mainly work on DG all that time or were there several other iterations before we finally got to DG? Were they maybe spending most of their time on modifying the Unreal Engine?

Really hope it sells though! Wouldn't want another studio closure...
Days Gone wasn't in development for seven years. Part of that time was Bend working on Vita projects that ended up getting cancelled because Vita.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Odyssey quite a lot before it just got too much (put like 30-40 hours in) and the repetition got to much and the story was completely uninteresting, but if boring open world activities is a deal breaker, Odyssey is 1 of the worse offender I've ever played.
I did enjoy just how extremely cocky the player character is in Odyssey though, great shithead of a character, so I can see her being enough to motivation for some. Whereas Deacon was just a bit boring from the little I've played and seen.

Tell me about it. Clearing hundreds of camps is NOT fun. Odyssey must be the most repetitive game I've ever played. And it's funny how DG was criticized for its loading screens between gameplay and cutscenes while there are terrible loading times almost everytime you talk to a NPC in Odyssey, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Double standards I guess.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. Clearing hundreds of camps is NOT fun. Odyssey must be the most repetitive game I've ever played. And it's funny how DG was criticized for its loading screens between gameplay and cutscenes while there are terrible loading times almost everytime you talk to a NPC in Odyssey, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Double standards I guess.
You're absolutely right, the media holds a pro-Ubisoft and anti-Sony bias. You've cracked the code.

Mar 29, 2018

These are very good points

Also worth noting that AC Odyssey's gameplay expands in a huge way as you unlock more abilities and you keep progressing through the world. How it plays at hour 60 is totally different to how it played at hour 40, is totally different to how it played at hour 20, at hour 10, etc. It remains polished and tightly designed throughout.

I'm really excited to dig into Days Gone but there was always a worry it wouldn't mix up its loop enough like this, and it looks like that was the case.

I'm 65 hours in Odyssey and I've cleared out maybe 17 camps.

Many of the "camp clearing" missions are procedurally generated and no, you really really don't have to do all of them. You can level up and progress just fine doing the proper Missions (gold symbols)

If it's not fun for you, then stop fucking doing it!

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
These are very good points

I'm 65 hours in Odyssey and I've cleared out maybe 17 camps.

Many of the "camp clearing" missions are procedurally generated and no, you really really don't have to do all of them. You can level up and progress just fine doing the proper Missions (gold symbols)

If it's not fun for you, then stop fucking doing it!

That's what I did. Still, you have to clear a lot of camps when you do story missions.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you actually play Odyssey? It's not about what you or I think, it's about facts. There are loading times almost everytime you talk to a NPC in Odyssey. So, how is that a problem in DG, but not in Odyssey ?
I did play Odyssey, and I played Days Gone as well.

The loading times that DG is criticized for are cutscene transitions as well as the initial loading. Why are you bringing up NPC conversations?

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I did play Odyssey, and I played Days Gone as well.

The loading times that DG is criticized for are cutscene transitions as well as the initial loading. Why are you bringing up NPC conversations?

Because there are loading times everytime you talk to a character, be it a story mission (so, a cutscene) or a random quest.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Haven't played Days Gone yet but Odyssey was a slog. It's the perfect example for a game with a ton of filler content thrown to pad your play time. Put it down because it felt like a waste of time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://digitalcentralmedia.co.uk/days-gone-review/ (37/100)
Think of the most unremarkable thing you've ever blended in a blender. That's Days Gone. It's a strange game in Sony's category and one you would not expect from the publisher. If anything Bend Studios deserve another chance to create their magnum opus because Days Gone clearly is not that.
Overall Days Gone is a game that should not exist. If we had a time machine and we could go back in time, I would erase it from that E3 2016 conference. Days Gone has no reason to exist and does not bring anything new to the table.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol

What a pathetic little blurb.
yeah the review is way too hyperbolic, seems like the site shouldn't be included in opencritics sources, i wonder why it is. quite unprofessional.
they have given really good scores to other sony exlusives too, gow 100%, sotc remake 95%, in fact gow is the only game on there with a 100% rating.