• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A 37? Fuck off with this shit. Also the score is just a calculated average of these numbers they gave in these categories lol

• Presentation - 72%
  • Music - 70%
  • Gameplay - 5%
  • Content - 75%
  • Story - 20%
  • Fun Factor - 10%
  • Performance - 10%

I'm still scratching my head at that performance because based on digital foundry's coverage it doesn't seem nearly that bad.

Honestly reading it makes the reviewer just seem mad that it's not on par with other exclusives. It seems pretty silly to effectively shit on a game for not being the top of it's genre.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Lol why are we discussing Assassin's Creed Odyssey anyways? Goddamn. From the way it plays, the way it's structured, it's RPG-ness, player-choice, settings, EVERYTHING, they are different than Days Gone, so of course people would and could value that game differently than Days Gone.

I swear so many of you are so funny in saying "I don't care" while at the same time showing so blatantly how deep your care actually is about silly stuff like this.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daily Star: 5/5
"Superb zombie-slaying combat and enjoyable motorcycle gameplay are integrated perfectly with a well-paced story. But the game's major highlights are the terrifying zombie hordes which are unlike anything seen in a videogame so far."

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
A 37? Fuck off with this shit. Also the score is just a calculated average of these numbers they gave in these categories lol

• Presentation - 72%
  • Music - 70%
  • Gameplay - 5%
  • Content - 75%
  • Story - 20%
  • Fun Factor - 10%
  • Performance - 10%

seems like they really should have scored it lower if gameplay and fun factor was between 5 and 10 out of a hundred.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
That 37 review looks like it was written by a bot. Read the first couple lines.

They call Uncharted 4 "Uncharted four" and include the sentence "Days Gone isn't a video game." How does a site with that type of content standards get indexed on OC?

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Considering the similar Metacritic scores, do you (folks who have played both) think Mad Max is better/worse/roughly similar to Days Gone? I wonder if critics have gotten harsher or if this year has just seen a bunch of relatively uninspired releases (Anthem, Crackdown).

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The user score at Metacritic keeps raising up, at 7,9 now.

May have something to do with the multiple 10/10 user reviews that warn others to flee from 'xbox haters' and 'reviewers with political agendas'?

Of course, there are quite a few 0/10s from the other side.

Don't make the mistake of relying on the user score for anything.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
May have something to do with the multiple 10/10 user reviews that warn others to flee from 'xbox haters' and 'reviewers with political agendas'?

Of course, there are quite a few 0/10s from the other side.

Don't make the mistake of relying on the user score for anything.
the metacritic user score is beyond useless, yeah. it's massively prone to users (many times people who haven't played the game) spamming 0s and 10s.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
huh, why is the link not working? is daily star banned on era?
British tabloid newspaper like the Daily Mirror and the Sun. They do a lot of fake stories for fearmongering from the fake Rock interview to fake Rockstar Games allegations to a volcano ash airplane story using fake details to Madeline McCann false allegations and more. Don't know if those are the reasons it's banned here, though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.justpushstart.com/2019/04/days-gone-review/ (7/10)
The best way to describe Days Gone is good but not great. There is arguably nothing that hits a point where you absolutely must see it, something Horizon, God of War and a few other exclusives have, leading to a mixed reaction. Even if I come off rather critical of a number of elements, it's the type of game where I might not tell people it's a can't miss experience, though it never hits the point where I'd actively discourage anyone from bothering. So, if you're okay with a good game that has hints of something better or simply enjoy the genre, give it a go.

The Good
  • Freakers are interesting enough to keep you on your toes
  • Nice landscapes to look at
  • Resources have uses beyond killing things
  • Story has some interesting parts
The Bad
  • There are times when the story is a little generic
  • Lots of useless space
  • Controls could be better
  • Resource obtain cycles can be tedious

British tabloid newspaper like the Daily Mirror and the Sun. They do a lot of fake stories for fearmongering from the fake Rock interview to fake Rockstar Games allegations to a volcano ash airplane story using fake details to Madeline McCann false allegations and more. Don't know if those are the reasons it's banned here, though.
I don't know if it's banned but it's an incredibly shady news site. They do anything for clicks. They once fabricated an entire interview with The Rock and had to take it down once he went public and said it never took place.
got it, thanks.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Tbf they are way worse than the mirror, I mean it's still shit but they don't totally fake stuff. Well apart from that time with piers Morgan..

I can't stomach saying they are worse than the sun so I'll say they're equally bad for different reasons.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
This feels really bandwagony to me. I mean, it's definitely pretty generic and derivative apart from the hordes, but it's pretty competently executed for what it is.
My one real issue is that the deadzone is abhorrently large and not configurable, so shooting sucks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally rank this game as a high 7, or a low 8, if that makes sense. It's a fantastic game that's getting unrelentingly slammed. The game is thoroughly carried by it's visuals and gameplay / sense of fun (Although there are rough spots). It's a good "comfort food" type of game. Despite the generic backdrop, Bend has definitely done enough to stand out from the crowd if you look beneath the surface. Which for myself, took me a while, as I wrote this game off until I watched a good 2-3 hours of gameplay near release) The bike as a traversal mechanic is fun, scavenging is fun, and the map is fun to "clear". Clearing out ripper camps/infestations feels fun and actually means something, as opposed to just unlocking viewpoints in Assassin's Creed (I'm an AC fan, despite it's problems.). You're making the region safer, whilst also unlocking the zone as a fast travel point...and working your way towards blueprints.

The main criticism for Bend moving forward is to improve on their narrative design. More specifically, cutscene timings, and having more introductory quests at the forefront of story, rather than 10-15 hours into the game.

Secondly, forced playstyles, e.g. pure stealth missions (without real compelling reasons) and lame failstates. I haven't actually encountered issues with those things in particular, since I'm adept and a big fan of stealth games in general. However, I know that for many people it's an acquired taste and rather polarizing. Also, regarding narrative design. They have incredible mocap and VO talent...but they just need to improve their writing consistency and some elements of VO sound design, e.g. Main character yelling to himself in stealth / caves etc, which is jarring. Main character yelling during conversational dialogue, despite standing still and not exerting himself.

The gameplay is fun as well, and it's what carries the game. As someone pointed out above, the aiming deadzones and aiming in general is incredibly rough and needs to be improved upon.

Despite the criticisms, all of which are valid and apparent, this game was a big surprise for me as I felt underwhelemed during it's showings and reveal, to loving it now. It's a fantastic entry to Sony's library of games. The expectation of it being near the levels of Naughty Dog or Santa Monica's work is absurd. Those two studios don't only make good "exclusives", but two of the greatest of all time games in Last of Us, God of War (Reboot). There's a decade plus of learning and cultivating talent that goes into those games/studios.

This is more ranty that I intended, and forgive the grammar, as I'm tired as fuck as I write this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Considering the similar Metacritic scores, do you (folks who have played both) think Mad Max is better/worse/roughly similar to Days Gone? I wonder if critics have gotten harsher or if this year has just seen a bunch of relatively uninspired releases (Anthem, Crackdown).

I personally enjoyed Mad Max a bit more, but they're in the same ballpark. Neither exactly sets the world on fire, but both are fairly enjoyable.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Listening to the latest Waypoint podcast makes some of these scores sound INSANELY generous.

My god. The way they enumerate the level of jank, jank that negatively impacts the story, jank that negatively impacts moment to moment gameplay, jank upon jank.

It sounds like a total mess, and an utter chore to play.

Not only that but it also looks like a bland mess bereft of personality and identity. It's like during development, they looked at the status of AAA single player games and wanted to check off every single gameplay concept they could.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the game so far. Those reviews are a joke imo. Can't wait to player again after work.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I don't understand some of the low scoring reviews. This game is on the same level as a FarCry or Assassins Creed game for me. Sure it has some strange design decisions and the shooting is not the best, but everything else is really nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the latest Waypoint podcast makes some of these scores sound INSANELY generous.

My god. The way they enumerate the level of jank, jank that negatively impacts the story, jank that negatively impacts moment to moment gameplay, jank upon jank.

It sounds like a total mess, and an utter chore to play.
Granted, they reviewed it on a lesser-patched version, so they had to play with more bugs for more hours - but on release day the game was neither of those, and still isn't, at least for me. It actually beings to make more sense as you go.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017

• Presentation - 72%
  • Music - 70%
  • Gameplay - 5%
  • Content - 75%
  • Story - 20%
  • Fun Factor - 10%
  • Performance - 10%
Let's go with the obvious here... PRESENTATION 72% HAHAHAHAHAAA

Holy fucking shit.
(will not even bother about that gameplay 5% nonsense, honestly it has to be a typo)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
After playing a bit I agree mostly with the IGN review, turns out I was correct about the missions lacking variety, I love the game world though, I spend most of my time with it finding different ways to kill freakers and admiring the visuals, one of the best looking UE4 games this gen.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I have zero interest in Days Gone but giving this thread a cursory glance, I feel like I'm going slightly crazy. A game being rated a six or a seven is the definition of good or solid. What's the use of the 1 - 5 otherwise?

Last edited: