• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well what more do you want me to say,? There is plenty of review material out there to browse through and people gave their impressions.

I understand the price dilemma but ultimately I feel those of you who depend too much on reviews and scores are definitely losing out.
Blind faith on either side of the line need to be tempered. You can base an opinion on what you expect a game to deliver for you from its gameplay, reviews and demos. What comes from that is your choice and yours alone.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Been listening to a few podcast reviews for this because still not sure.

I'm really surprised the thing they showed first about this game at E3, is something you don't get to really do until 40 hours into the game. That's bullshit.

But who knows maybe by the time i buy it they patch it to the point where it's better?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to a few podcast reviews for this because still not sure.

I'm really surprised the thing they showed first about this game at E3, is something you don't get to really do until 40 hours into the game. That's bullshit.

But who knows maybe by the time i buy it they patch it to the point where it's better?
Actually they are something you could encounter any time. You just have to run into them as they don't show up on the map.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Actually they are something you could encounter any time. You just have to run into them as they don't show up on the map.
If y'all talking about the hordes, Yup.

I found this out by accident.

Went to an area for upgrades, saw alot of freakers, thought nothing of it. As I sat and watched more, I saw more, alot more.

Saw them all go inside a train car. I tried to get a better look, bad idea.

I noticed that area, they were there when my son was playing. So that's probably always gonna be an encounter.

We're both less than 40 hours in.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
If y'all talking about the hordes, Yup.

I found this out by accident.

Went to an area for upgrades, saw alot of freakers, thought nothing of it. As I sat and watched more, I saw more, alot more.

Saw them all go inside a train car. I tried to get a better look, bad idea.

I noticed that area, they were there when my son was playing. So that's probably always gonna be an encounter.

We're both less than 40 hours in.

I think if people are only doing story mode and not exploring may account for why people think hordes only come into play near the end as I think Bend said only 3 of the 40 hordes are tied to the story. I'm about 10-12 hours in and I've encountered 5 different hordes, finally took out my first one in one of the caves and was a very satisfying experience. Is there a way to find out how big the horde you eliminate is?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think if people are only doing story mode and not exploring may account for why people think hordes only come into play near the end as I think Bend said only 3 of the 40 hordes are tied to the story. I'm about 10-12 hours in and I've encountered 5 different hordes, finally took out my first one in one of the caves and was a very satisfying experience. Is there a way to find out how big the horde you eliminate is?
I agree about exploring.

Not sure how to find out the size. I was just shocked because I didn't know there were that many until I sat and watched.

They were all spread out, gave the illusion of not being that many.

Last edited:

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I am about 9 hours in and I have to say, it is being a struggle. The gameplay mechanics are good enough, but the world, characters and story are not that interesting (so far). The color palette of this game and the environment feels a bit boring. The story bits are being dropped very slowly, and combat feels slow, so I am feeling unusually impatient with how slow everything is unfolding.

Did you also feel this way? If you did: does it get better?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
How can you take such a chance and try it before buying it..is a demo available?

I've been using Redbox, originally to try it out for three days to give it a chance but I enjoyed it so much I rented it again for three more days.

I kind of regret it now as I would probably have to rent it 2-3 more times to finish the second half of the game but I've also sunk $15 into a copy that isn't mine which would be on top of the full priced game now.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
He's parodying clickbait sensationalist YouTubers. He acts way too absurdly for it to be anything else.
SlC9WjB.jpg

Here you go!

Its not a parody if you act exactly the same.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Has anyone posed the question of how this game was deemed ready for release if it had game breaking bugs at launch and one of the patches caused even more severe problems? Why wasn't this game delayed another two or three months just to iron everything out before it hit store shelves?

It just seems very strange to me that the devs wouldn't have seen all of these problems before the game launched - some of the bugs and glitches are pretty serious, it's not like minor things you can just overlook.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Has anyone posed the question of how this game was deemed ready for release if it had game breaking bugs at launch and one of the patches caused even more severe problems? Why wasn't this game delayed another two or three months just to iron everything out before it hit store shelves?

It just seems very strange to me that the devs wouldn't have seen all of these problems before the game launched - some of the bugs and glitches are pretty serious, it's not like minor things you can just overlook.
The devs probably knew each and every bug before the game released but the decision to put it out is the publisher's call. Also delaying a game even a couple weeks is probably a nightmare, think about how many retailers are counting on getting the copies they're paying for and discs having to be manufactured and shipped. And all the ads that have to be changed and updated.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I've been using Redbox, originally to try it out for three days to give it a chance but I enjoyed it so much I rented it again for three more days.

I kind of regret it now as I would probably have to rent it 2-3 more times to finish the second half of the game but I've also sunk $15 into a copy that isn't mine which would be on top of the full priced game now.
Same... I rented but last night I just bought it. Fun game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I sort of want to watch it for a laugh, but is he a dipshit fanboy who I should not be giving clicks to?
Not in my opinion, no. From what I've seen, he's just a dude who plays up a lunatic character for the camera. As someone who loves Resident Evil 2, and was really looking forward to Days Gone, I can see the humor in his shtick. Folks need to lighten up a little in regards to this one, I think.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not in my opinion, no. From what I've seen, he's just a dude who plays up a lunatic character for the camera. As someone who loves Resident Evil 2, and was really looking forward to Days Gone, I can see the humor in his shtick. Folks need to lighten up a little in regards to this one, I think.
I first saw someone link him here leading up to Spider-Man. He says the same shit for every single game, his shtick isn't even funny.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm about 10-12 hours in now and it keeps getting better.

At its worst, it was a slow starter that still felt like a 7/10 but where I am right now is that it's a quality 8/10 for sure.

I wonder how far the reviewers actually got into the game.

If the first part is a 7/10 and the second is 8/10, it evens out to 7.5/10, which is a fair score (and not far from the Opencritic one).
I'm definitely enjoying the game more the more I play, but the main criticisms don't really go away.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The game is pretty messy overall but its a real shit show for about the first 6-7 hours. Its not until you reach the 3rd camp is where the best aspects of the gameplay loop reveals itself.
They really messed up the pacing in the beginning. I think it took me like 7-8 hours to reach the 3rd camp, but how the main narrative unfolds feels like we should have reached the 3rd camp by like hour 3. A lot of the missions and story beats between "Boozer injured, gets worse" and "go to the 3rd camp" feel like wheel-spinning; you get to the 3rd camp and suddenly the story picks up.

Last edited:

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you take such a chance and try it before buying it..is a demo available?

No demo available, they probably could do just a horde segment but would that be representative of the game? Personally it was the story that hooked me.

And no offense but I buy most games I want without having the need to read the reviews for it. How did you guys do back in the day prior to internet? You patiently waited for your favorite game mag to come through the mail?

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Glad to see the game is good, if a bit flawed. Will pick it up later in a sale or something, my backlog is too big anyway.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The comments on the Gamespot video review are everything wrong with the gaming community.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there was a a few negative reviews published yesterday that have dropped the metascore from 72 to 71.
edit: back to 72, with a 9/10 from playstation official magazine UK.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/days-gone/ (2/5)
Days Gone is far from the worst specimen of its genre but in a year already packed with 50 hour+ endeavours, it rarely makes the case for its own existence. The developer's perverse insistence that you not call its zombies "zombies" (as far as we can recall, the word is never used in dialogue) only amplifies the game's hollowness. If only it were shorter and less maudlin in its machismo, less reliant on busywork, and more invested in the thrill of riding a hand-tooled chopper beyond the end of the world.

+ A handsome recreation of Oregon
+ An appealing focus on the motorbike
- Tedious mission design
- A totally uninspiring protagonist
- Chronic shortage of substantial new ideas

https://gamecritics.com/jarrod-johnston/days-gone-review/ (4.5/10)
I was ready to love Days Gone, and in some ways, I still do. It didn't love me back, though. If SIE Bend had cut the length by a third, cleaned up the technical problems and had more variety in level design, it could have been one of my favorite games of all time. It's tragic in hindsight, because I can feel the love and passion flowing through it. Unfortunately, the shared appreciation of our homeland pales in comparison to the astoundingly long list of problems on display here. It's heartbreaking, but only homesick Oregonians like myself need apply.

https://www.gamer.no/artikler/anmeldelse-days-gone/464117 (5/10)
google translation
Days Gone does nothing particularly bad - in fact, I like many of the game's ideas very well, and a handful of the characters you get acquainted with are quite exciting - but unfortunately, much of that game makes so painfully mediocre and little elegant that it's impossible to overlook it.

What can initially seem like a refreshing and high-budget twist on classic survival games, turns out to be a rather traditional and sometimes very uninspired variety of much better games. Mad Max tackles post-apocalypse, cults and battles for life and death better, Dying Light has better zombies, and it's not exactly lacking in bottom-solid open world games these days.

By comparison, Days Gone is a completely fun game. It has, as I said, many good ideas, exciting progression, a bunch of wonderfully realized characters and a story that is capable of engaging heavily during periods, but the experience is far too long for its own good and the whole is simply not polished enough.

Last edited:

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
No demo available, they probably could do just a horde segment but would that be representative of the game? Personally it was the story that hooked me.

And no offense but I buy most games I want without having the need to read the reviews for it. How did you guys do back in the day prior to internet? You patiently waited for your favorite game mag to come through the mail?
I wait on a demo/beta or reviews unless it's part of a series i like.

Back in the day I returned the shitty games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official PlayStation Magazine UK: (9/10)
"A huge open-world horror, stealth-action, adventure melting pot that manages to tap into everything we love about Sony's games while finding its own voice buried beneath the horde of ideas. Days Gone has been worth the wait."

Cultured Vultures (8/10)
"Sure, it's clunky at points, has enough rough edges to cut someone, and is perhaps too slow in getting to the good stuff, but give Days Gone and Deacon a chance and they will win you over."

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://fextralife.com/days-gone-review-a-saphire-in-the-rough/ (8/10)
Days Gone deserves your attention if you are a fan of the zombie "genre". If you've ever watched I Am Legend or 28 Days Later and thought "I wish there was a game like that!", then you definitely need to play this game. Days Gone is a nice blend of open world and story driven that few games offer, "zombie" or otherwise. For 60$ USD you get 30-60 hours of this type of gameplay, which I feel more than justifies the price tag.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see a positive video that isn't afraid to question some of the more harsh reviews.

This was actually a really good video. I don't have the game yet (waiting for a sale), so don't know whether I'd agree or disagree with some of the points raised, but they definitely make a lot of sense on some of them, and put forward a pretty strong case.

I quite like the point made about some of the reviews that complained about the bike and fuel requirement potentially missing a point, in that a reviewer who's not enjoying a game or is in a rush to finish it for a review deadline, might feel like running out of fuel and being forced to go off the beaten track in time consuming fashion instead of being able to constantly go directly from A to B, is a bothersome burden. But that the game is designed that way to push the player to explore more of the world outside of just the obvious routes, in order that you can experience more emergent, random, fun and completely non scripted moments, be that to do with hordes, camps, ambushes, locations, enemy types, enemies fighting each other or whatever else. Put it like that it makes sense. Bend clearly want you to take your time with it and just really take in the world, atmosphere, emergent mechanics, such the way enemies and enemy types engage with each other and not just you and so on.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
there was a a few negative reviews published yesterday that have dropped the metascore from 72 to 71.
edit: back to 72, with a 9/10 from playstation official magazine UK.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/days-gone/ (2/5)

https://gamecritics.com/jarrod-johnston/days-gone-review/ (4.5/10)

https://www.gamer.no/artikler/anmeldelse-days-gone/464117 (5/10)
google translation

This game is really proving to be a Mafia 3 scenario. The game was slammed by critics, with a large number of bugs at launch. But even with it's warts, I still managed to love Mafia 3 and it's still one of my favorite games this generation. Patches and fantastic DLC really did a lot to help the game post launch, but the damage was done. Days Gone being a console exclusive first party game, I can definitely see it getting a lot of post launch support as well.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If the first part is a 7/10 and the second is 8/10, it evens out to 7.5/10, which is a fair score (and not far from the Opencritic one).
I'm definitely enjoying the game more the more I play, but the main criticisms don't really go away.
`
yeah, the fact that it's commonly understood at this point, even among people that're really enjoy the game, that you have to be willing to slog your way through the first 6+ hours of it doesn't exactly speak very highly of the game :) ...

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Both of those guy say they've not played more then 10 hours (one says just 4 hours), how can they seriously have a more worth while opinion than these 'wrong reviewers'.

Sure they haven't played it for 40+ hours yet but they say they enjoy the game a lot and I'm sure they know what they like, just like I haven't finished the game yet and I know I'm really enjoying the game.

First impressions can be just as important and can be make or break for if someone will carry on playing a game and I would say playing for around 5 - 10 hours is enough to know if you are enjoying the game or not.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Both of those guy say they've not played more then 10 hours (one says just 4 hours), how can they seriously have a more worth while opinion than these 'wrong reviewers'.
I think part of the problem is trying to classify these options as right or "wrong", when it's a matter of tastes, preferences, and if strengths/flaws overshadow the other for the player.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This game is a jack of all trades, master of none.

No game so far has it where everything can kill you. Meeting my first horde is what makes this game something.

You have to think on your feet in the moment and I love that shit. Also amazing when a pack of freakers knock you off your bike and start to chase you as you run down the hill you hear wolves howling and see a pack of them gun straight for you but then get distracted by freakers, and start going to town.

I was legit amazed so much by the encounter I FORGOT that they were going to still come after me when they were finished.

No game has this.

If you are going strictly by it being only a open world game like farcry you will be disappointed. If you want a game where the world is against you all the time and you have to fight it in creative ways then you will be surprised.

`
yeah, the fact that it's commonly understood at this point, even among people that're really enjoy the game, that you have to be willing to slog your way through the first 6+ hours of it doesn't exactly speak very highly of the game :) ...

Speak for your self, I only have like 3 hours in and I'm already hooked on clearing out nests, and I totally NOPE on my first horde encounter while traveling back at night during a storm.

It is really those moments and encounters to me that make the game.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wait on a demo/beta or reviews unless it's part of a series i like.

Back in the day I returned the shitty games.

Alright, that's still doable unless you go all digital. Cons and pros I guess. I'm just surprised, people talking like they're investing in their next car or something. If cash is tight and you're not sure about the game (or any game for that matter) I guess the obvious choice is to keep your money.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
For those still on the fence I would say forget about the reviews, try the game yourself and find out. It's pretty good once you get past the start.
I would have to agree with this. I tried it for free with my Redbox voucher on Wednesday, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. My GF even asked me If she could watch me play more of it the other night, before I told her I had to return it. Just bought it digitally to play a lot this weekend, since I'm dog sitting. First time in a long time where I disagree with some reviews. Its not magical like GOW was for me, but they've done an excellent job of making the game fun as hell and just making you to want to explore the world more and more. I would have never thought that this game would have probably the best HDR implementation in a game to date.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I was a little unsure about the game at first but the more I play the more I love it. Particularly riding around on the bike, it feels so good. I expect it to be one of my favorite games of the year.

Better reviews would have been nice for the studio but everyone's entitled to their opinion and I think the game is selling like hotcakes anyway.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
`
The narrative of the first few hours comes across as wheel spinning - ie stuff that happens 6 hours in probably should have happened at hour 3 - but gameplay-wise, those early hours aren't a slog. Actually those early hours are probably the most tense, since even small groups feel deadly

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i enjoyed the first 6 hours but i'm a little biased towards the game because i love the biker thing and sam witwer.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

I agree with your score, it starts as a 7 and goes into 8 territory - however, what I find a bit odd is that I mostly dislike other "7.5 games". I mean, if the game is reviewed like that, I mostly don't enjoy it - but Days Gone I'm enjoying quite a bit. Even with that said, I agree with the score.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The narrative of the first few hours comes across as wheel spinning - ie stuff that happens 6 hours in probably should have happened at hour 3 - but gameplay-wise, those early hours aren't a slog. Actually those early hours are probably the most tense, since even small groups feel deadly

well, i can only speak for myself, but i'm stil only a few hours in, & it does, indeed, feel like a slog to me. one doesn't start playing an open-world game expecting to be relentlessly directed from one point to another hour after hour. i mean, yeah, it can feel tense - they're continuing to hide all the upgrade systems from me! :) ...