• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
Yet Horizon was voted the most likely to bomb. As I said, this forum isn't any indication of anything as proven times and times again.

Games like For Honor, Ghost Recon, Detroit etc.

But it is an indication of some things time and time again.
Just because people get some things wrong on here does not mean a lot of people dont get things right.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
But it is an indication of some things time and time again.
Just because people get some things wrong on here does not mean a lot of people dont get things right.
In a large community, you will always have some people right at least about some things. And generally speaking I believe in the wisdom of crowds and the law of large numbers. Personally I think this community is too small for that to apply, but my real contention is that I don't think this is going to have the critical success something like Horizon had to really take off.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have casual friends who tell me their most anticipated game this year is days gone. Era seems to believe it will bomb. It won't

Oct 27, 2017
Some sites have good reception some don't. I guess we can find out when it comes out.
The majority do though. I asked someone on here before who claimed the majority don't care about the game for proof about how they know this and yet nobody would give me an answer. It always comes down to Era that shows how nobody cares as if it is any indication.

Yet when I look at other sites and even YouTube/Google interest it is very popular. So I doubt Era is right.

Feb 10, 2018
In a large community, you will always have some people right at least about some things. And generally speaking I believe in the wisdom of crowds and the law of large numbers. Personally I think this community is too small for that to apply, but my real contention is that I don't think this is going to have the critical success something like Horizon had to really take off.

Yeah, I don't know.
How some games do, baffles me.
I mean days gone does have a lot going for it, that other Sony exclusives had.
I mean its has amazing graphics, a relatable main character, cool and kinda original gameplay.
But it kinda reminds me of dead rising 4, it has some things going for it but it like the kind of game that I play for a few hours then are bored, everything that I've seen of the game does not really make me want to play it that much.

I mean I watch TLOU2 and I want to play it because of the great mood and atmosphere, the sense it's a real place, the jaw dropping visuals and the amazing animation in general and in synergy with the combat.
Or Cyberpunk because of its living breathing world, world detail and density, cool missions you do and deep gameplay mechanics.
Days gone just feels a bit bland in comparison and these day the bar is just so dam high for AAAs

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.webp

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't know.
I mean its has amazing graphics, a relatable main character, cool and kinda original gameplay.
But it kinda reminds me of dead rising 4, it has some things going for it but it like the kind of game that I play for a few hours then are bored, everything that I've seen of the game does not really make me want to play it that much.

I mean I watch TLOU2 and I want to play it because of the great mood and atmosphere, the sense it's a real place, the jaw dropping visuals and the amazing animation in general and in synergy with the combat.
Or Cyberpunk because of its living breathing world, world detail and density, cool missions you do and deep gameplay mechanics.
Days gone just feels a bit bland in comparison and these day the bar is just so dam high for AAAs
Just curious, what have you seen of the game?

What I mean is did you just watch a couple of trailers or read detail articles or everything?

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the lazy gif responses are even worse than the concern trolling around this game.

Do we know whether Giant Bomb crew has been able to test Days Gone?

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
No way. I haven't seen that. Only ppl thinking the game will review poorly. After state of decay 2's performance I don't think a zombie game will outright bomb
There was discussions about this in the older forum. However, I would say it's more rare now - or at least in Era. Especially after seeing the view number for Days Gone videos + the fact that the studio moved into a new & bigger office.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't read all the pages here, but why is there so much discussion? Is it a controversial opinion?

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm glad there is an audience for it. It's the only upcoming Sony game I'm not interested in, due to zombie fatigue. It can still win me over if there's some surprises.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah, I don't know.

d99454ecd37d214296091b98de896aef

Most games look like shit compared to TLOU:P2 and Cyberpunk!! Why is Days Gone the focal point for comparison?

Days Gone doesn't need to do anything drastically different. Its not the best looking game on the planet obviously, but it does give enough for a fair chance.

In all fairness, bend had to know it would be hard to follow up God of War.. Astro Bot being amazing didn't help either. It was destined to get some flack being sandwiched between other great looking games. People just have to come to terms that this one particular title isnt aimed for them and either wait for reviews or be done with it if you have no interest.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
still remember all the nonsense it was said about GOW before it came out, very very similar to what's being said about DG, this game will be awesome, day 1 for me.

Feb 10, 2018
d99454ecd37d214296091b98de896aef

Most games look like shit compared to TLOU:P2 and Cyberpunk!! Why is Days Gone the focal point for comparison?

Days Gone doesn't need to do anything drastically different. Its not the best looking game on the planet obviously, but it does give enough for a fair chance.

In all fairness, bend had to know it would be hard to follow up God of War.. Astro Bot being amazing didn't help either. It was destined to get some flack being sandwiched between other great looking games. People just have to come to terms that this one particular title isnt aimed for them and either wait for reviews or be done with it if you have no interest.

It's compared to other games as its in competition for your time and money...
It pretty obvious..
Why shouldn't days gone be compared?
What gives days gone immunity to comparison.... Nothing does. I don't know why anything would.
And people have to " comes to terms" lol, get out of here, no one needs to comes to terms with anything.
If people don't like a game they are entitled to say there opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
This forum is so negative about this game. I think its gonna be received well and sell great. Good to see Sony Bend breaking out and becoming one of Sony's big studios.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I'm really interested in this game , the open world seems like it's going to be really impressive if they pull off what they set out for

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, saw that posted earlier but thanks for reposting. That actually is what prompted me to think about how big the open world will be and also how dense it will be with content. I'm sorta expecting something that's half way between Horizon and RDR2 for world size and stuff to do in the world.

I'm really hopeful that the game will just let me play the way I want to play instead of constantly shoehorning me into a set series of events all the time. That was probably my biggest disappointment with RDR2
Yep, I think that in terms of playability, Days Gone will ape RDR2. Their world and graphics technology obviously cannot compete with a workforce in the thousands and a budget in the hundreds of millions, but sounds like their gameplay design is hitting the right notes.

Just curious, what have you seen of the game?

What I mean is did you just watch a couple of trailers or read detail articles or everything?
Nah, man that stuff isn't important. We spend hours discussing games, but we can't find some time to watch supplementary interviews or read press previews that talk about extra stuff. We only have time to digest a couple of gameplay trailers and that's all we need to know. /s

People have this perception that Days Gone is doing nothing new or different in an open world setting, which is plain false. Given the many things that have been posted in various Days Gone related threads but continues to be ignored when a new thread is created, I don't think people want to give Days Gone or Bend Studio a chance. They don't want to look past a couple of trailers they watched a while back.

Last edited:

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Ive been looking forward to this one for a while.

However a balanced opinion on the poll; isn't this game the only confirm AAA from Sony this year ?!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It pretty obvious..
What gives days gone immunity to comparison.... Nothing does. I don't know why anything would.
And people have to " comes to terms" lol, get out of here, no one needs to comes to terms with anything.

If you're talking about graphics and tech, that is an unfair comparison since you're literally comparing it to the absolute very best the industry has to offer. Days Gone is still ultimately going to be more graphically and technically impressive than 80%-90% of open world games out there, hence criticising it on that front seems like a ridiculous standard to set.

Hell, if you think Days Gone is lacking in the graphics and tech side of things, what must you think of the graphics and tech in titles like State of Decay, Dying Light, Dead Rising, Dead Island, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Quest, Just Cause, Saints Row, Fallout etc? Or even upcoming open world games like Crackdown 3, Outer Worlds, Dyling Light 2, The Surge 2, Rage 2, World War Z, Generation Zero and so on?

There is also the fact that TLOU2 is not an open world title, nor does it have the crazy hordes, enemy numbers etc of Days Gone. Plus that the gameplay we saw from Cyberpunk 2077 was running on the equivalent of a ~$2000 monster gaming rig, thus we don't actually really know how it'll end up looking on the consoles, unlike the other titles.

Last edited:

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
Yep, I think that in terms of playability, Days Gone will ape RDR2. Their world and graphics technology obviously cannot compete with a workforce in the thousands and a budget in the hundreds of millions, but sounds like their gameplay design is hitting the right notes.

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of RDR2 yet, but its impressive open world seems a bit less densely populated with foliage, environment flair (like abandoned vehicles), and enemies (obviously) in comparison. The cowboy theme does of lend itself to a more sparse world of course and it's a stunning one at that.

Feb 10, 2018
If you're talking about graphics and tech, that is an unfair comparison since you're literally comparing it to the absolute very best the industry has to offer. Days Gone is still ultimately going to be more graphically and technically impressive than 80%-90% of open world games out there, hence criticising it on that front seems like a ridiculous standard to set.

Hell, if you think Days Gone is lacking in the graphics and tech side of things, what must you think of the graphics and tech in titles like State of Decay, Dying Light, Dead Rising, Dead Island, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Quest, Just Cause, Saints Row, Fallout etc? Or even upcoming open world games like Crackdown 3, Outer Worlds, Dyling Light 2, The Surge 2, Rage 2, World War Z, Generation Zero and so on?

There is also the fact that TLOU2 is not an open world title, nor does it have the crazy hordes, enemy numbers etc of Days Gone. Plus that the gameplay we saw from Cyberpunk 2077 was running on the equivalent of a ~$2000 monster gaming rig, thus we don't actually really know how it'll end up looking on the consoles, unlike the other titles.

Please don't make things up I'm not talking about graphics tech at all.
So you just wasted your time typing all the bit about graphics.
Your paragraph about open world and stuff I don't get, and yeah, cyberpunk may not look like that, but I can only judge on what I've seen so you are being unreasonable.
No amount of you trying to rationalise flaws in peoples dislikes or comparisons is going to stop people being not hyped over a certain game.

And the point I was trying to convey was that days gone is just not making me excited, regardless if other games do.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

I am not sure why some are trying to compare the graphics of a wide linear game to and open world game.

1.First the game has different weather patterns such as wain or snow.
2. 99& of the buildings are enterable
3.Even the smaller hordes push more enemies then most open world games.

Oct 26, 2017
IMO this game looks better than Assassin's Creed games and those always review mid 80's critically and its sell numbers are going up again. Not every game has to change the world.

I also think this game looks better then AC Odyssey PS4, which I'm playing now.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a poll of less then 1000 people......
Not really a good gage on the market.
Also it being the only exclusive on a PlayStation site may have something to do with it.

The first part of your statement is false. The sample size is fine enough to derive conclusions. The issue is none of the other big PlayStation exclusives have 2019 dates announced which is the part of your statement I do agree with.

Oct 26, 2017
Two thinks that I am worried about though. That the bike maintenance doesn't get too annoying and how you start the game with shitty guns.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Two thinks that I am worried about though. That the bike maintenance doesn't get too annoying and how you start the game with shitty guns.
When it comes to the bike: "There's at least 20 categories of things you can upgrade and they're all functional, plus all kinds of ways to tweak it visually. From a paint job to a custom skinned theme, and all kind of visual hardware upgrades. You can really make it your own."

The maintenance I think will depend on how far you upgrade it, though I'm not too sure. You'll obviously need to always keep an eye on your fuel gauge, just like you'll need to stay on top of your ammo supply. I don't mind starting the game with worse weapons if you're able to find and unlock better ones as you go.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the motorcycle really adds to the survival elements and makes it where upgrading/gasoline, etc. isn't easy to do/obtain. Basically, im hoping for the opposite of Mad Max where after a region or two, it was very easy to manage my Magnum Opus.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please don't make things up I'm not talking about graphics tech at all.
So you just wasted your time typing all the bit about graphics.
Your paragraph about open world and stuff I don't get, and yeah, cyberpunk may not look like that, but I can only judge on what I've seen so you are being unreasonable.
No amount of you trying to rationalise flaws in peoples dislikes or comparisons is going to stop people being not hyped over a certain game.

And the point I was trying to convey was that days gone is just not making me excited, regardless if other games do.

I apologise if I misunderstood then. I assumed the discussion between you and the other person was predominantly about visuals.

The reason I brought up the open world thing was that typically linear or wide linear games tend to have more resources to spend on graphical elements or features, due to the environments or worlds being comparatively smaller, hence one factor out of many as to why the gulf in graphics between TLOU2, and other games including Days Gone, might exist. The other simply being that it's Naughty Dog we're talking about, who are one of the most technically or graphically accomplished devs in the industry, and generally always push or deliver top class or genre defining visuals at the time of a games release.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It pretty obvious..
Time and money? DG has a date, those other games dont. The whole point was the games you named (for comparisons) was unfair. Why? Cause you cant name a game that looks better than TLOU:P2 or Cyberpunk... so.. your nitpicks dont have much merit.

Ok, you're not excited about the game, but it seemed as you were excited about telling people you weren't excited about it. Nobody cares if you like the game or not. I just hate contaminated boards where nobody can genuinely talk about the game without sifting through a bunch ridiculous comments only for them to come to the conclusion they didn't even care about it in the first place.
People have this perception that Days Gone is doing nothing new or different in an open world setting, which is plain false. Given the many things that have been posted in various Days Gone related threads but continues to be ignored when a new thread is created, I don't think people want to give Days Gone or Bend Studio a chance. They don't want to look past a couple of trailers they watched a while back.
I think it does a fair amount of different things in their open world, it just doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a great game; something I used to say often with Horizon.