• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just gonna add my two cents and say the game looks real pretty graphically. Still not that all convinced by the game but i feel like a solid gameplay demo could still reel me in somehow. The previous ones left me wanting tbh.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
What gets me is that Sony didn't even bother showing it at e3. Feels like Sony's crack down to me. At least it has that Sony look to it so I might give it a try.

My guy, we've seen it enough. It's had a whole month of press via Game Informer, we've seen it at previous E3's and we have videos out there to watch that are about one hour of gameplay. What more is there to see dude? We've seen enough, I'm not trying to argue that there "isn't more to see" outside of the first hour, but to a point, don't you think that we've seen more than enough? It's like Spider-Man after the second time seeing it, we didn't need it a third time at E3. After a point, you kind of get tired of seeing something you already know is coming, there's a reason why people say "I've seen enough just give it to me already."

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
looked very generic and underwhelming. Others agree.
a mindless fight against a zombie horde.
This is such shallow and meaningless critique though. Days Gone is a complex, dynamic world with more emergent gameplay opportunity than The Last of Us. It gives the player more options. If you had any idea about this you would not be attempting to call what is dealing with the horde as "mindless," considering there are multiple approach strategies (as Game Informer footage showed), you can run from it at any point, or you can divert it and let them loose in enemy camps, which is cool as fuck and I've never seen that done before. Nothing mindless about it.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Days Gone has had plenty shown and imho looked very generic and underwhelming. Others agree. LoU on the other hand looked pretty damn amazing every time it was shown.

I mean, you're comparing tense action scenes played out between Joel and enemies with extreme brutality versus a mindless fight against a zombie horde. Not hard to see why people would be more hyped for LoU, and that's not even mentioning ND being the developer.

And as far as LoU2 is concerned, it's the sequel to LoU. Of course people will be hyped without having even played it. It's a sequel.

Every zombie game including Resident Evil and TLOU(if you want to call it a zombie game) is a mindless fight against zombies. Zombies are dumb so that is a given. It's the pieces surrounding that Zombie gameplay that makes a game great or not.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think a reason why some folks are being hyper critical about the game might simply be the level of quality Sony has been publishing games these past few years. Some of the best games of the year are published by Sony, exuding quality and polish. Meanwhile, it's not even that Days Gone looks particularly bad or anything but it looking more on the mediocre side, given the publisher, may be on harsher scrutiny by the high bar Sony has set. I dunno.

Of course you get those console warrior trash concern trolling posts but those are easy to point out. I'm just speaking more of the general era member I guess.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
I always find these threads interesting and I always feel for the peeps who are looking forward to something that others deride and often outright dismiss. But don't worry Days Gone peeps. I think you'll have the last laugh in the end. I think it'll be about an 80 on Metacritic, be in the top 5 in sales for the month, and be a fun time for those who are looking forward to it. Don't let the naysayers get you down!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
While you are correct the poster's intent seems to be that even though those games are bad in their eyes they are not going to enter those thread with negative Nancy opinions to derail the threads original intent. Savvy?
I would also not call out Crackdown 3 as an example of a game that is free from drive-by posting and negativity.

If this thread were about Crackdown 3 winning a most anticipated award, I assure you the discussion would be as (if not more) toxic.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Also, I've seen a lot of people in this thread say something like "People will get confused and can mix the two games up thinking TLOU is Days Gone, vice versa", where did this idea come from? Cause zombies?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Perhaps, and hear me out on this one, Days Gone excites a lot more people than we thought. Whew, that's a really hot take here.
tenor.gif

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I've seen a lot of people in this thread say something like "People will get confused and can mix the two games up thinking TLOU is Days Gone, vice versa", where did this idea come from? Cause zombies?

From people that have never actually played TLoU or seen Days Gone. Because there's no fucking way you could genuinely confusing the two otherwise.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
From people that have never actually played TLoU or seen Days Gone. Because there's no fucking way you could genuinely confusing the two otherwise.

I fully agree with you / this sentiment in terms of people getting confused. However, outside of probably:
  • People who only play Sports games (which fucking exist, cause reasons?)
  • Kids/Children
I just don't see how the older audience hasn't seen or heard of the game. I've seen on /r/PS4 or people who post here etc, ask games to buy for the PS4 and TLOU is always listed. And on top of that, it's apart of the Playstation Hits library which puts some of the best games at a great price, and then you add Twitch exposure or Youtube Exposure, don't you think people have been so exposed to TLOU by now that it's almost a Rite of Passage to play through it when one buys a PS4? On top of this, you have common places like IGN and other sites that make top lists which almost certainly list The Last Of Us as a Must Buy or Top 25 game for PS4 etc. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I do understand the two getting mixed up for those who have never seen both side by side.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

The motorcycle, you see in the Last of Us Joel and Henry were talking about riding a chopper.
This here leads people to believe that Days Gone is in the Last of Us universe.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I think a reason why some folks are being hyper critical about the game might simply be the level of quality Sony has been publishing games these past few years. Some of the best games of the year are published by Sony, exuding quality and polish. Meanwhile, it's not even that Days Gone looks particularly bad or anything but it looking more on the mediocre side, given the publisher, may be on harsher scrutiny by the high bar Sony has set. I dunno.

Of course you get those console warrior trash concern trolling posts but those are easy to point out. I'm just speaking more of the general era member I guess.
I agree with this maybe, personally I am not interested in Days Gone at the moment, but this is probably the only Sony title I've not been interested in a quite a long while, though I wish Bend the best with their new game. It does look "less" polished, and yeah, Sony has set a high bar.

And it doesn't look unpolished at all, I just really didn't like the UI and some other presentation elements, weren't to my taste. But I've never said the game looks "generic" and is going to flop or etc etc concern trolling or just straight up trolling that has happened.

The generic flag I don't completely disagree with, but the way it's been shoved on this game when other games easily deserve the same mantle more is just mind boggling. The same could be said far more easily about competing zombie games like State of Decay 2, or Overkill's Walking Dead, both which were completely forgotten after release. I'm not even sure when Overkill's game released tbh.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Given the popularity of games like Assassins Creed, Witcher 3 or Far Cry, I can see why something like Days Gone is so anticipated.
To me it looks like it would bring that same formula to a post apocalyptic Zombi setting.
Obviously this isn't something revolutionary, but since when is that a requirement for people to be excited about something?

I personally am not excited, but I will wait for impressions on gameplay and story and then decide whether or not I'll get it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Okay, now this is something I can agree with. Personally, I have all 3 consoles (luckily), I use my Xbox for GamePass only, Switch for Nintendo Exclusives/ Games I'd want portable (something like Civ, Dark Souls etc) and Playstation for EVERYTHING else. I can see the sentiment of everyone expecting the best of the best from Sony which how hard Sony has been hitting us with great game after great game.

The belief that Days Gone looks mediocre therefore it might be on the upper echelon of Sony PS4 Exclusives sucks though, because then you're just doing yourself a disservice by not at least giving the game a chance. And you're only adding to the negative disservice by ruining it for others who are legitimately looking forward to the game, same thing goes with any other video game.

btw: I'm not saying you as a person is doing these things, Im just giving my opinion about the people who are doing said things.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony stated this many times but their policy is to let developers pitch their ideas and if it sound cool then they can do it. It might look Medicare to you but the previews we have seen clearly shows Bend's ambition and trust in the game. They have wanted to make this game after they got bored of Syphon Filter and decided to kill the main character off. Sony allows this because they know it is better for the developer to make what they want because it results in a product made of passion.

Thank god Sony isn't thinking the same as you because then we wouldn't have gotten games like GoW4, Horizon or even Ghost of Tsushima.
Nice try. Those games you mentioned all make sense for being green lighted. They do not closely resemble any other game in Sony's portfolio of games.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice try. Those games you mentioned all make sense for being green lighted. They do not closely resemble any other game in Sony's portfolio of games.
You either didn't read my post or not understood the point so let me say it again:

Sony only asks developers to pitch what they want to make and if it sounds cool then they let them do it. Period.
Doesn't matter how they "resemble" each others (even though Last of Us and Days Gone are very different in everything but the fact they both have an apocalyptic setting).

Also do you mind explaining how Days Gone and Last of Us resemble each other? Because what we know and seen about Days Gone clearly show huge difference.

It is clear you haven't even done research about Days Gone. A good place to start would be the previews thread linked earlier in the topic.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You either didn't read my post or not understood the point so let me say it again:

Sony only asks developers to pitch what they want to make and if it sounds cool then they let them do it. Period.
Doesn't matter how they "resemble" each others (even though Last of Us and Days Gone are very different in everything but the fact they both have an apocalyptic setting).

Also do you mind explaining how Days Gone and Last of Us resemble each other? Because what we know and seen about Days Gone clearly show huge difference.

It is clear you haven't even done research about Days Gone. A good place to start would be the previews thread linked earlier in the topic.
I'm not interested in debating how Days Gone and TLOU are different from one another. Neither of us is changing our minds on that point.

I only wanted to say nothing would indicate I wasn't in favor of Sony funding GoW, Horizon, or Ghost of Tsushima, and yet you just made that assertion.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

"do you mind explaining how Days Gone and Last of Us resemble each other? Because what we know and seen about Days Gone clearly show huge difference."

I asked this already the answer was basically: zombies and they "look the same" to people who have never seen either game before lmao.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Dmc5 on 9 is absolute bullshit . No chance that game has less hype than sekiro , days gone and metro exodus ..

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
which zombie fatigue? there are people buying COD for the zombie mode...i think the zombie fatigue is a myth, what is with RE2 Remake, this is also a zombie game at its core and many people are awaiting that too, same with Dying Light 2
Zombie fatigue doesn't really exist, but people like to think it does.

There haven't been many zombie games this gen, and funny enough most of the zombie games coming out will release after Days Gone is out, so they would be affected by zombie fatigue more.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Still don't understand what's supposed to be so impressive about yet another "sad guy in the apocalypse" zombie game.

Bend should've made something else. Anything else.

I'm looking forward to DG, but I feel disappointed every time I think back to the "open world horror game" tease years ago. I really hoped it would tackle something else; eldritch horror? Horror from space (like The Blob) in an open world town? Something different.

Hell, even vampires. Imagine an I Am Legend like open world where in the day you scavenge for survival supplies and fortification tools. You have to get back to your home/base/whatever before the sun goes down and prepare for vampire attacks with what you found during the day. It could still have a strong narrative core. Something other than damn zombies/infected/whatever.

That said, I still trust Bend. My own bloated expectations won't get in the way if this game ends up being legitimately good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not really high on my radar right now, but I'll definitely be checking out impressions as we get closer to release. I remember not being big on Horizon even a few weeks before release, then impressions arrived and I got hyped as hell, ended up loving it when I played it.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is that Sony didn't even bother showing it at e3. Feels like Sony's crack down to me. At least it has that Sony look to it so I might give it a try.
And yet it closed an E3, had a big presence at the next E3, and has had almost 2 hours of gameplay shown.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm looking forward to DG, but I feel disappointed every time I think back to the "open world horror game" tease years ago. I really hoped it would tackle something else; eldritch horror? Horror from space (like The Blob) in an open world town? Something different.

Hell, even vampires. Imagine an I Am Legend like open world where in the day you scavenge for survival supplies and fortification tools. You have to get back to your home/base/whatever before the sun goes down and prepare for vampire attacks with what you found during the day. It could still have a strong narrative core. Something other than damn zombies/infected/whatever.

Who teased it as an open world horror besides Shinobi?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not interested in debating how Days Gone and TLOU are different from one another. Neither of us is changing our minds on that point.

I only wanted to say nothing would indicate I wasn't in favor of Sony funding GoW, Horizon, or Ghost of Tsushima, and yet you just made that assertion.
This is what you said as a response to my point:

"Nice try. Those games you mentioned all make sense for being green lighted. They do not closely resemble any other game in Sony's portfolio of games."

I mentioned the games as a way to show how Sony allows developers to do what they want as long as it sounds cool. GoW4 being the way it does doesn't make any sense because it was not a safe decision to make. It was a very different game than the old ones and had a huge chance to fail. Yet Sony allowed it because they believe in the passion of the developers.

Days Gone being greenlit was the same thing, it makes sense because that's what Sony does. You however believe that games need to be pandering to the people to attract them. Horizon wasn't, God of War 4 wasn't and Ghost of Tsushima isn't.

People are attracted when there is a well done game that is done very well, and how do you guarantee that the game would be great? If the developers do it because of their passion.

You are looking at it from a very bussiness perspective while Sony is doing it with quality AND business.
"do you mind explaining how Days Gone and Last of Us resemble each other? Because what we know and seen about Days Gone clearly show huge difference."

I asked this already the answer was basically: zombies and they "look the same" to people who have never seen either game before lmao.
Yeah I know how you feel.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yeah I know how you feel.

Im not debating why people should get it vs not get it, or why the two games don't look the same (spoiler: they don't, I know you agree too). However, I'm just trying to show that it feels like those are comparing the two because they look "similar" aren't being fully open minded and it's not gonna take away from MY experience with it in the future but it's just frustrating to see lol