• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
So for those out of the loop, we are now several days from the release of Capcom's Monster Hunter World, and most if not all options for the multiplayer are flat out broken for players on Xbox, to the point where the game is effectively a single player RPG for anyone who came in without people to play with.

And as someone who spent $69.99 on the digital deluxe edition, I'm starting to get pretty pissed. Not really because I am having issues with the game itself, but because this is the first time this series has graced a Xbox platfrom outside Japan and this is how newcomers are being exposed to it.

Unfortunately, it also looks like it won't be getting fixed anytime soon:

(Not sure why they would be actively recommending alternatives if this was going to be a quick fix)

And it would be one thing if there wasn't three betas that could have potentially been used to see this might happen, but I guess marketing money was more important than delivering a functioning experience at launch.

I am not sure what else to say this point, just really dissapointed.

Update (2/1/2018):

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...4-1008-xbox-one-matchmaking-and-hunting-horns

It's been officially fixed!

Last edited:

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Ive only played with friends so far on xbox but even that seemed like a puzzle to figure out. We finally did and had some fun but I was not aware of the matchmaking being down. That sucks.. a beta would have helped but like you said that marketing money was a flowing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If only they could've tested the server capacities beforehand. Maybe a... beta?

Just to be clear, the online does work on MHW on Xbox. I've been playing the friends and random hunters online all weekend using Xbox LFG. It's just their matchmaking stuff isn't functioning. Totally bloody crap but at least the community has been able to play online. Hopefully they fix these soon because online is such a major part of the game...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I wonder what is causing these issues? Hopefully they fix them ASAP because I'd imagine for most Xbox players this will be their first foray in to the franchise.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
This should be a lesson to publishers to never have platform-exclusive betas ever again.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the whole gathering hub is completely dead on Xbox right now. Xbox LFG has been the saving grace.

Only if they could have had Atleast one beta on Xbox to not run into this issue.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping betas for the Xbox One was sure a bright idea. When they'll look at the sales and player retention and think "hmmm, PS4 version is a lot bigger", they should remember they skipped the beta, shipped with a broken multiplayer and only advertised on PS4. Hopefully this won't mean they won't bother bringing sequels to Xbox because eventual failures on the system are largely on them.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
Yeah this is pretty atrocious.

If anyone is looking for people to hunt with - a) post your GamerTag in this thread and b) make good use of the excellent Looking for Group feature on Xbox!

I'm sure it'll get fixed soon enough.

My GamerTag is RagingAvatar btw - I'm based in the UK, so if you see me on, I'll be happy for a hunt :)

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It seems they were super sure the game worked on PS4, and made multiple demos, but kinda forgot about One.

P.S. Why do I see Loading Tweet instead of the actual tweet in mobile? I have to open them in a new tab to see them

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea as a PS4 player. PSN was down for a few hours yesterday, and we witnessed how the forum reacted to that. But to go launch weekend entirely without the core systems functioning and no end in sight yet? Damn.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Paying for and (publishers) agreeing to exclusive betas in an online focused game HAS to be one of the most disgusting things in this industry.

Really wish this trend would go away.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Been loving the game solo, but yea this needs to be fixed. How does this even pass MS certification if the online modes shipped this way?

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
As someone playing on the PS4, this is really unfortunate for Xbox1 players. The notion of having a beta on the XB1 would probably helped trouble shoot issues before release, as other posters already mentioned.

Here's to hoping it's a quick fix.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I mean, what were they expecting? It's a not like this is a generation in which we've had several high profile examples of games with broken online at launch, primarily because of the lack of testing in real-world scenarios. I hope that this gets fixed soon, it's disgraceful.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
My number one complaint about this game (aside from the atrocious UI) is the matchmaking/MP aspect. Probably the worst implementation in recent memory. And to hear it's EXTRA broken on the Xbox? Whew. I hope Capcom gets it fixed quickly.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame since my ps4 experiences has been fantastic so far.

Capcom should give xbox owners some exclusive gift for this.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know this game launched on xbox, so i guess Sony used their money well huh...

It's a shame this is happening tho, first psn beta didn't have matchmaking or invites and that made finding a match a chore D:

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing there was a beta for Xbox to test this all out beforehand!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I bought the game blind last night, only to discover during my second log-in that none of the multiplayer worked. Checked online complaints, saw the kotaku article and I was like "oh". After Destiny 2 (my last full price purchase) I'd be justified in saying that console multiplayer is outright hostile to people who don't already have friend lists on the platform.

Even if you're not going to do a public beta for marketing reasons, a private beta is a must for any obligate online game. I can't believe I broke my own personal rule of never investing in online games that don't have at least a beta beforehand. So far the SP has kept me pretty entertained but this had better be up in the next couple of days or I'm going to be asking for some Free-LC from the Capcom community managers.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game blind last night, only to discover during my second log-in that none of the multiplayer worked. Checked online complaints, saw the kotaku article and I was like "oh". After Destiny 2 (my last full price purchase) I'd be justified in saying that console multiplayer is outright hostile to people who don't already have friend lists on the platform.

Not that this in any way vindicates the state of the multiplayer in the XBO version of MHW, could you not use the XBO's LFG system in the meantime?

krang

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know why they didn't have a Xbox beta.

Unlike content exclusivity, beta exclusivity is fucking stupid, not just repugnant.

You could potentially even call it malicious - paying money to prevent a game being properly tested on a competitor device.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on platform split this might take a whie to solve, if It's heavily skewed towards PS4.
List of priorities and all that.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I blame Sony.
They moneyhated the betas to not be on Xbox so they could not test the network properly.
Capcom should stop acepting Sony' moneyhats. It's beyond annoying, it's offensive to me as a gamer at this point.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It seems weird that it's broken for everyone...I hope this means there is a base cause/fix rather than the weird niggles you can get in online games (where there are varieties of NAT and all sorts of P2P issues).

It is pretty* disappointing and ironic, especially as the PS4 had 3 betas. I've been happy playing solo so far but I would have loved to try a couple of group hunts for fun. It may sound weird but at the moment I would rather matchmake with randoms. I have a couple of people that I could message, or LFG, but I just fancy the randomness/madness of straight matchmaking.

At least the base game is excellent (for the type of game it is), and hopefully there will be a relatively short term fix. I assume a lot of IT techies had a sh1tty weekend so for their sake I hope they find a fix soon too!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That's terrible. Sounds like in general the online is a mess somehow, even on the working PS4 version. Is there no system like past games where you can look at all the lobby's and choose which one to join based on whatever criteria you imputed? Or is it all matchmaking based on what you want to hunt? If it's the latter that's a bummer.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I blame Sony.
They moneyhated the betas to not be on Xbox so they could not test the network properly.
Capcom should stop acepting Sony' moneyhats. It's beyond annoying, it's offensive to me as a gamer at this point.
Sony has marketing for this, I assume beta are in the price.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on platform split this might take a whie to solve, if It's heavily skewed towards PS4.
List of priorities and all that.

The game is fine on PS4. Their priority should be making sure they don't demolish being able to establish a fan base on another platform because they couldn't figure out matchmaking at launch.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame Sony.

I think it's more of an industry thing and one thing I commend Nintendo for, not getting exclusive betas or exclusive items or exclusive quests. They're lame as shit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The game is fine on PS4. Their priority should be making sure they don't demolish being able to establish a fan base on another platform because they couldn't figure out matchmaking at launch.
I was saying that if the overall sales are much bigger on PS4 then Capcom will probably set Xbone's problems as lower priority and focus on PS4 version.

Sucks for Xbone players though.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Okay that makes sense. I wasn't ready to believe I was the only person playing the game on Xbox because it never matched me with anyone.

At least there's LFG.

Still, this needs to be fixed, my noob ass is going to need help sooner or later.