• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
"As soon as the PC BETA is headed in a way we like, we're still committed to bringing DayZ to Xbox, where we have a large community of gamers patiently (very patiently!) waiting for a truly hardcore online survival game. All of that will (and must) happen next year - meaning we're just about to start what could possibly be the most exciting year for DayZ so far. In short: DayZ will be out of Early Access next year, and we'll also finally deliver it to console players in 2018."

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-28th-november

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have they actually made any improvements? Last time I checked DayZ mod was still infinitely better.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'd like to give it another go. though i'm guessing nobody will be playing it (on PC i mean)

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Way too late. It was too late long ago in fact.

I guess they got their money so what do they care? Milk it for all it's worth I guess. I'm sure it'll still sell quite a bit on consoles but I can't see anyone sticking with it for long especially if games like PUBG are there.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I must have like 90 hours on Day Z and these were worth it. Sure, the experience was clumsy, but I see they kept updating the game at constant pace. I don't get the hate for something that not only was unique but also really fun.

Hopkins

Oct 30, 2017

Love how he says "A PS4 Version in under 3 years" and here we are nearly 3 and a half years later getting a XBox version next year.

Will be quite interesting to see it actually leave early access (if they manage) with significant changes to me, last played nearly a year ago for a couple of hours.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Did Rust ever hit 1.0? These two games were supposed to be the next big thing, but now PUBG took those games, cut out the fat, and eclipsed DayZ in sales. I hope they have a plan for this game, or at least saved their money.

Arsenic13

Nov 11, 2017
All of the PUBG mentions, ya'll are aware that they're different types of games right?

One is a survival and crafting game meant for long term investment into a character with a heavy emphasis on exploration, the other is an open world deathmatch that lasts 20 minutes.

The similarities go as far as the battlegrounds gametype coming from DayZ so there's some crossover in the inventory and weapon systems. Bluehole also copied the style of the Eastern European Chernarus map

Last edited:

Shapes

Nov 6, 2017
A polished DayZ is very interesting. Completely different scenarios there; taking ownership of a city, attacking an air base, trying to reach a building cite without dying, moving through a city using zombies as cover. I really liked DayZ, if they can get it up and running properly I will jump on it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
All of the PUBG mentions, ya'll are aware that they're different types of games right?

One is a survival and crafting game meant for long term investment into a character with a heavy emphasis on exploration, the other is an open world deathmatch that lasts 20 minutes.

The similarities go as far as the battlegrounds gametype coming from DayZ so there's some crossover in the inventory and weapon systems. Bluehole also copied the style of the Eastern European Chernarus map
It's still a large scale PVP(and E) game. This game wasn't heard of since what? 2014? And suddenly games like PUBG and Fortnite get huge and now out of no where we get this announcement? Yeah, it's has more survival aspects and crafting but come on.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
DayZ already made a ton of money, but they completely squandered any opportunity they had to capitalize on their success.

Bossman

Oct 27, 2017

Survival games were hot a couple years ago, but not anymore. They have been replaced by battle royale games. H1Z1 players started playing H1Z1 King of the Hill and Fortnite players started playing Fortnite Battle Royale. Former DayZ player are already busy playng PUBG or other battle royale games so I don't think they will go back to DayZ either,

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would've cared ... Three years ago. Much more looking forward to State of Decay 2 to be honest. Not exactly the same, but the general gameplay systems in SoD are simply superior.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, that DayZ you're thinking of isn't DayZ anymore. Now it's Just Survive. DayZ as it is right now is only the battle royale mode.

venomenon

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I couldn't care less. Played the stand-alone for over 400 hours but by now I think there's nothing I liked about DayZ that PUBG doesn't do better.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017

They are different types of games for a pretty similar audience.

The biggest difference is that zombie's survival games were the craze early on this decade, and the battle royale is the craze now. I don't see the point of releasing a final version, I thought they had abandoned it already.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017

The thing is that DayZ pretty much became kill on sight very soon after it got popular. Battle Royale offers the same ideas (open, 1 vs all, scavenge, craft) but as a much more compact experience.

All those amazing stories early in DayZ's life never really happens anymore.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There still is sizable audience for this types of games, even DayZ still is getting like 3,5K users at peak and Rust and ARK have over 35K each. But the height of popularity for those types of games have passed and even at the biggest moment of DayZ craze it was never as bit as battle royale is now. Battle royale games offer similiar rush, but in much more compressed format, so it's no wonder they got bigger.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that DayZ pretty much became kill on sight very soon after it got popular. Battle Royale offers the same ideas (open, 1 vs all, scavenge, craft) but as a much more compact experience.

All those amazing stories early in DayZ's life never really happens anymore.

Battle Royale and Persistent Survival games are not the same thing. You respawn in DayZ, there is no "winning" in DayZ. You loot, you survive. I have no doubt that all the RPing that people used to do has taken a hit as the game fell off the map.

Still, the only thing they have in common really is both genres began as Arma mods.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
b12b45190b14cfd880155c252c5c8e54e5c35cbc7258f47ce652e8a6f8b783f5.jpg

Talk about the game that start the open world craze, but idiotically squander it with greed.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing this with a friend or 2. Really fun with a group. But it was mostly about PvP for us... And now with PUBG - which is basically DayZ PvP in condensed form - I can't really see myself going back. Unless they will really nail the zombie fighting aspect which was just boring in the early version I played.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're about 3 years too late in jumping to console, but whatever, I'll try it if they port it over.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the standalone version yeeeeeears ago on PC (December 2013!?) and I had some fun despite it being a buggy mess for far too long.

The problem is it typically doesn't play like you hope it will do. You're hoping for a psychological exploration where every person you meet might be dangerous, might be a friend; its how you go about managing those interactions that bring the tension and excitement......but for the most part I found it was essentially shoot on sight. I only had one experience where I wasn't sniped or shot or hacked to death on first contact, and it was hilariously humiliating. I bumped into a group of guys who were vastly better armed than me and they surrounded me, made me do 'tricks' for them (like rolling on the floor, jumping up and down etc), all the while they were threatening to kill me for non compliance. Eventually they gave me some clothes and left.

I was a big fan of Robbaz and his quest for pants though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5b_Gxsx-k&list=PLo1nDt_-WWnUTymiTPhKafAArE86yMS2w

Arsenic13

Nov 11, 2017
You're all making the argument that one craze killed another craze. That doesn't make PUBG a DayZ killer in itself. These survival games -- DayZ, Rust, Ark, Conan -- they offer gameplay that's based on long term investment. There's far more to them and they have fans specifically drawn to that experience.

Perhaps the survival craze has died down, DayZ's audience certainly has, but PUBG is not a direct competitor to that genre at all. You may get the PVP thrills of DayZ in a fun, filtered form, but they're really not competitors. There's a lot of gameplay systems differing between them.

Personally, I'll wait for DayZ to go into beta at least before I play it again. I got a couple hundred hours out of it. There's no reason to keep playing until then for me. And as much fun as I have with PUBG, it's not a DayZ replacement experience for me in the slightest.

Bohemia really messed up by changing scope several times. From the onset, they should have built standalone in the ARMA 3 engine.