• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did they end up adding back zombies? I remember they had to turn them off pretty early on in the standalone because they were super intensive on servers and they just couldn't fix them. They also wanted to have it like some infectious disease where others could become plagued and need to seek cures, build bases and retrofit the land to their needs.

So much potential squander so quickly.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time with DayZ when it was popular. Will be interested in seeing a postmortem to find out what the hell went wrong. I can guess a few things, but they pissed away so much opportunity and good will.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but on the other hand they allow ARK to enter early access on PS4, which was (and still) in a pretty bad shape. So must be something else.
Not really. There's no dedicated early access program. They have 2 games, Ark and fortnite so it's not really a policy as much as some games well let release and some we won't. Where as the Xbox has tons of early access games come rough the preview program

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's crazy to think in the time it took for DayZ to leave early access an entire other game lived and died (H1Z1), and another game came out afterwards that is rolling in money (PUBG)

They really missed the boat

CeramicDragon

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
I had 150 hours with this game. I stopped playing at 0.48. How is the state of the game? Devs moved so slow, little incremental updates that were mostly cosmetic. My first and last early access game until I bought PUBG. I applaud those who still play it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever add zombies back in? I assume they did, just the last time I heard about DayZ was when they removed the zombies.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but on the other hand they allow ARK to enter early access on PS4, which was (and still) in a pretty bad shape. So must be something else.
After a good while of telling them no. Again they can be picky with this stuff.
https://gamingbolt.com/ark-survival-evolved-cant-release-on-ps4-as-per-sony

The guy is literally on stage at a Playstation event.
And? It was many years ago, Sony probably won't allow it in Early Access form.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Funny. But I guess it's good news. Got some mileage out of the mod, it was fun while it lasted. It was the glitches that killed my interest and for some time the standalone was even worse (from what I heard) than the mod, so didn't bother to try it out.
Did they ever add zombies back in? I assume they did, just the last time I heard about DayZ was when they removed the zombies.
I could have liked the removal, the zombies were more of an annoyance than a real threat. Excluding the threat of getting killed through floors and walls. And their movement was just awful.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Too bad the game slept through the survival MMO-lite craze that it basically pioneered to begin with.

The money is in Battle Royale now.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Longest early access ever??

Did Rust ever hit 1.0? These two games were supposed to be the next big thing, but now PUBG took those games, cut out the fat, and eclipsed DayZ in sales. I hope they have a plan for this game, or at least saved their money.

DayZ entered Early Access on December 17th 2013, while Rust entered Early Access on December 12th 2013 and also still hasn't released 1.0.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to think that all people really wanted was a shooter with permadeath, and not all the crafting and survival crap that these games tried to cram in.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Haha, holy moly. DayZ still exists.

The mod was a really cool feat with the caveats and bugs you'd expect from a mod on an already janky game.

The standalone release as far as I'm concerned was just a giant trash fire in its early stages.... well early years. During the time I followed it, it never really seemed to improve much. I remember flowerful promises of engine updates and substantial revamps followed by constant delays and nothingness.

Did that ever change? Did they get their shit sorted? Honest question, as I kinda just stopped following the game.

Unless they've really made some major strides in recent times then... well... this whole thing gets a sensible chuckle from me and not much more. They've kinda run their own runaway success into the ground in record time.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I was literally thinking to myself the other day, "Geez I wonder what happened to DayZ".
As others have already said, it just feels like PUBG (and to a much lesser extent H1Z1) came in and dominated that space now.
Although on the other hand they will have to come up with something spectacular to make people want to come back, so it will no doubt be interesting to see.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when these guys were on top of the world? Then they took so long that everyone ate their lunch? Too late, guys. There's a new fad.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
4zmAHSC.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's cute you think Sony has any actual standards whatsoever on games being released in Early Access.
Who said it's because they have standards? All I said is they are picky, because they are. I'd love to see you try and prove otherwise.
They said no to Arc in the past, because who the fuck knows, the game released in a shitty state anyways and they still pick and choose what can release in Early Access and what can't.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn weird how this rush of survival games was supposed to be the next big thing and yet not a single one of them is actually... finished.

Like yeah okay it's getting a fancy 1.0 next to it's name but it's still a buggy, nigh unplayable mess most of the time.

And I love these games, they give you a feeling that's utterly impossible to replicate, I just wish one of them was actually good and would finally deliver on the promise of the concept.

PUBG proved you could do so with the battle royal genre so idk why a survival game hasn't been able to rise above being more than just a buggy mess of a game.

Nov 1, 2017
It's finally coming out? Bought it on steam way back when and had a great time with it, but each update seemed to make the game worse, and it has some of the most frustrating bugs of anything I've ever played.

Wonder if 1.0 will be any good, anyone here still playing?

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they actually made any improvements? Last time I checked DayZ mod was still infinitely better.

Few years back they decided to write new engine from scratch because the game could never do what they wanted it to do under the Real Virtuality (ArmA) engine and it could never have the good enough performance (mainly in cities) they wanted for it.
And writing engines takes time, hence the years in development. But the latest alpha is already using it and performs vastly better than it ever has. But I would not recommend playing it yet, personally I am waiting for the 1.0 version.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said it's because they have standards? All I said is they are picky, because they are. I'd love to see you try and prove otherwise.
They said no to Arc in the past, because who the fuck knows, the game released in a shitty state anyways and they still pick and choose what can release in Early Access and what can't.
I already proved it in my post.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn weird how this rush of survival games was supposed to be the next big thing and yet not a single one of them is actually... finished.

Like yeah okay it's getting a fancy 1.0 next to it's name but it's still a buggy, nigh unplayable mess most of the time.

And I love these games, they give you a feeling that's utterly impossible to replicate, I just wish one of them was actually good and would finally deliver on the promise of the concept.
Have you played The Long Dark and Subnautica? They're pretty much the best in the genre

lame gag

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's with the PUBG comparisons? They're different games. I guess it must be cool to hate DayZ nowadays. Sorry, I don't tend to follow current fads and trends so I can get a bit lost with it.

"DayZ? Haha! Hasn't got shit on PUBG! Lame game is lame". Am I cool now?

Good luck to them. I hope they do release it one day. It was quite an engrossing experience the last time I played it.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017

PUBG proved you could do so with the battle royal genre so idk why a survival game hasn't been able to rise above being more than just a buggy mess of a game.
Complaining about buggy messes of games and then bringing up PUBG is... interesting.
What's with the PUBG comparisons? They're different games. I guess it must be cool to hate DayZ nowadays. Sorry, I don't tend to follow current fads and trends so I can get a bit lost with it.

"DayZ? Haha! Hasn't got shit on PUBG! Lame game is lame". Am I cool now?

Good luck to them. I hope they do release it one day. It was quite an engrossing experience the last time I played it.
Yeah, I think the DayZ developers get way too much shit. They chose to not go down the easy route and just release the mod as standalone and instead decided to rebuild the entire engine from the ground up to make standalone its own thing. It sucks that it's taking this long, but this is the Arma engine we're talking about. It's not exactly build for what DayZ is trying to do.

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London
This game is dead and PUBG stole all of its thunder.

The game died waaaaaay before PUBG came out (disregarding the fact that they're fundamentally different beasts). Everyone I knew jumped on the Arma 2 mod when it first came out and it was awesome, but then nothing really happened with it and it got a bit stale. When the standalone early-access game released it was already yesterday's news.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's too late at all, if anything PUBG's popularity will help it. There are so many new players interested in the genre now

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I have this on Steam and haven't played it for a couple years. Didn't think it would ever see the light of day.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Wow what a blast from the past. I played a shit load of the mod, and purchased the standalone.. but never played too much of the standalone.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Man I remember watching YouTube vids of guys that would go around a hold people up in the game over the voice chat and maaaaan were they serious about it

"Hands behind your head mother fucker, don't move! yeah that's it, good boy, now put the gun on the ground slowly, that's it nice and slow."

It actually scared me how well they roleplayed psychopaths.