• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.theverge.com

Dbrand reveals new PS5 Darkplates days after pulling the originals

They’re available to preorder now.

ps5_darkplates_2.gif

Darkplates_2.0___Hero___Classic_White.png

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Those vents are ugly as fuck, but I'm guessing they hope that keeps them from infringing on whatever copyright Sony has?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So what is the endgame here? Are they just going to put these on the market and get as much juice until they get hit with a copyright thing or are they actively trying to experiment to see how much they need to alter before Sony won't hit them with a cease and decease?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
If they were going to add vents, they could done something nicer looking than generic air vents.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
i wouldnt say its really any better or worse than the existing ps5 design

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually be down if it wasn't for the fan cutout. That just kills it for me.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Meh found some black plates on Amazon that pair well with dbrands matte black skin that covers the awful glossy face. Always wondered what the none ear version would look like and it's a no for me dog…

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Neat, nice to see plates with vents since early testing showed that the plates increase the internal temps a little.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
While Dbrand has the whole legal thing going on I think a factor of the change is that the PS5 Faceplate Market is HUGE now.

Search PS5 faceplate on Amazon and there's a ton of alternatives now.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you want about the fins, but they give the console a proper and unique shape. These plates make it look like a melted ice cream sandwich.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Dbrand wouldn't go quite that far, saying the company is effectively complying with items two and three. The company also raises its own version of the question: "Is Sony still going to sue you assholes?"
The answer? Probably. The difference this time is that we've created an original design for which they have no basis to allege infringement. If they want to try, they'd better be ready to pay our legal fees.

How "big" is dbrand, anyway? I hear about dbrand EVERYWHERE, and I get the impression that Sony isn't nearly as financially healthy (or versatile) as it used to be. Given Sony's past of throwing frivolous lawsuits at smaller companies to drive them to financial ruin, I can't imagine Sony throwing money at a lawsuit the company seemingly has less of a chance in winning, right?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The fan grills look awful. Much prefer the old look.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't like the way they look, makes it look bootleg
I'm guessing this is what they have to do otherwise they get hit with a C&D.

I don't think Sony will ever sell the faceplate separately unfortunately but I do think they will release different colors for special editions and once the slim version hits whenever that is.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I want it because it takes up less space. Wish they would design it where you don't need to stand.

Streaks

Oct 28, 2017
It may not be the best looking but its still an upgrade over what the PS5 looks like now imo