• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Its sound fireworks called Mascleta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mascletà), part of the fesitivity of the Fallas and history of Valencia as a city. They are also part of UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage and one of the biggest festivities in the whole world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falles

This year Fallas' just ended yesterday BTW.

The thing here is that symbol is only going to be used is an special ocassion this year, the old modern symbol its the still one in used and will be until the modernised it again a little in the future. They will never going to get rid of the valencian colours below the bat. Also DC already tried the same shit in 2014 with the logo looking like always.

Thank you for the context. In which case I'm fully on Valencia's side and this whole thing is ridiculous.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Shows how much he knows. By 1919 we'd already killed all the bison. Lrn2history.

This is a nothing of a story. DC filed a complaint, just like they previously had, not filed a lawsuit. It'll be ignored, and life will go on.

For europeans 1891 and 1919 are just some years appart, so he used the bison thing as in "the country was still in its infancy" joke, not literally americans were killing bisons in 1919.

Thank you for the context. In which case I'm fully on Valencia's side and this whole thing is ridiculous.
Glad I could help :)

I am not a lawyer but it is my understanding trademarks have to be defended or risk being deemed abandoned.

And TBH if I had seen the mark in question, ie the new one, I would have assumed there was a Batman connection. I get why DC is pursuing the defense completely.
Read the whole thread, this symbol is not the new one going to used now and in the future, is just used for this year's anniversary, and the symbol in the tshirts from the team and everything else is still the "old" one. DC still tried to do the same during 2014 when the symbol was the one they have been using forever.
Valencia CF has never in 100 years (or the city in even more) gone after DC for having a shiloutte of a bat, so they should stop trying to do this shit, at least with the team, if they need to defend it so its not deemed abandoned, they should go after any other thing, or do whatever they need to do if there wasnt any other thing in the world that used the bat as a symbol. If Valencia got serious it could bite them in the ass and actually be force to lose it or give credit. Something that probably is never going to happen but best for all is just to drop it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not a lawyer but it is my understanding trademarks have to be defended or risk being deemed abandoned.

And TBH if I had seen the mark in question, ie the new one, I would have assumed there was a Batman connection. I get why DC is pursuing the defense completely.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Well I see Batman, and think of Valencia.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
This ain't nothing. Have y'all ever seen the logo for Russia's elite military intelligence

gru-logo.jpg

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Read the whole thread, this symbol is not the new one going to used now and in the future, is just used for this year's anniversary, and the symbol in the tshirts from the team and everything else is still the "old" one. DC still tried to do the same during 2014 when the symbol was the one they have been using forever.
Valencia CF has never in 100 years (or the city in even more) gone after DC for having a shiloutte of a bat, so they should stop trying to do this shit, at least with the team, if they need to defend it so its not deemed abandoned, they should go after any other thing, or do whatever they need to do if there wasnt any other thing in the world that used the bat as a symbol. If Valencia got serious it could bite them in the ass and actually be force to lose it or give credit. Something that probably is never going to happen but best for all is just to drop it.

I read the thread, and I understand the situation. I was explaining why DC is doing this, but I wasn't trying to justify their actions. This is likely just their legal department on cruise control, and their isn't much conscious intention behind it (its not like DiDio is up in his office screaming "get those bastards!")

The fact that this is a new and different symbol from previous iterations supports this theory.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I read the thread, and I understand the situation. I was explaining why DC is doing this, but I wasn't trying to justify their actions. This is likely just their legal department on cruise control, and their isn't much conscious intention behind it (its not like DiDio is up in his office screaming "get those bastards!")

The fact that this is a new and different symbol from previous iterations supports this theory.

Just asking because i dont know how it works. How would they try not to risk their trademark is deemed abandoned if there was nothing to defend against it (lets say nothing in the world uses the shiloutte of a bat as their symbol also), or basically they need to do this everytime against anything that looks like a bat so its not deemed abandoned. Wouldnt just be clear if they updated trademarks without their legal department having to throw lawsuits to things that look similar to seem like they are defending their IP? Is this an american trademark thing only?

Oct 27, 2017
I have a working theory for the shape: it's shaped like a bat. Same goes for the texture.
Trying to claim that they are that close is unreasonable imo

And I disagree. I look at that new logo and immediately think "that looks like Batman." Which is what these legal fights are always about. Is it close enough? That's always gonna be subjective.

I also already said DC shouldn't fight it either way, so I'm not like trying to take their side or anything. Maybe if they hadn't already tried before with the old logo which isn't remotely similar enough imo.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
And I disagree. I look at that new logo and immediately think "that looks like Batman." Which is what these legal fights are always about. Is it close enough? That's always gonna be subjective.

I also already said DC shouldn't fight it either way, so I'm not like trying to take their side or anything. Maybe if they hadn't already tried before with the old logo which isn't remotely similar enough imo.

Not only is it a generic bat shape and both aren't in the same field so there isn't about of nuance to compare too.