• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's time of the year again, where people just can't figure out how to put Superman in film, this time courtesy of Forbes:

It's interesting that Superman, a character instinctively associated with the word "superhero," is proving difficult to adapt to film in the age of superhero saturation. Is the character's godlike powers and righteous attitude really too alienating for modern audiences?

That's usually the argument against Superman, but it doesn't really explain his sudden absence from the big screen. After all, Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Captain America are incredibly popular, and all share that childlike earnestness, the boundless optimism that defines Superman. So, why isn't the Man of Steel thriving among his fellow do-gooders?

And that's the thing about Superman; he's not cool. He's not funny. He's not edgy. Unlike Captain America, he was never one of us. Like Wonder Woman, he is meant to be a beacon of hope in a dreary world. But he's significantly sillier than Wonder Woman, just as silly as Thor and Shazam, but unable to pull off the irony.

Now I understand the criticism about how ambitious the storyline would have to be to make it work... but you only need to look at the other movies that have come out to refute those claims. Wonder Woman had a fairly faithful adaptation to a origin story, Shazam! managed to be overly outlandish yet succeed. Even Aquaman managed to go all out in comic book lore, becoming one of the better parts of that movie. Still, I couldn't help but frown at the age-old idea of Superman being a bland old boy scout. And then I came about this tweet:

And it all became clear. There before the executives was a clearly defined way to being Superman back into the fold. Hell, it's not even an old concept: Supergirl played with it last season.

But it now became clear of the real reason they can't go through with it: performing this take on Superman would incur the wrath of anti-SJWs and conservatives in general. Yet it might be the only was to bring enough buzz to the movie to make a profit. Stop trying to compare him to a Christ-like figure. Just make him a man who just wants to do good for a planet that's foreign to him and let everyone else connect the dots.

My advice? Go for it. Better yet, just copy Birthright and call it your own.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
And meanwhile, Marvel is making the Red Guardian the next big thing. RED GUARDIAN.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Just make it a shitty teenage comedy movie the way Marvel does it and make millions.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty interesting actually. They got freakin Shazam right, and the tv division is doing great with superman. Why are they struggling with superman for a movie? They've do him great in every other format.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
If you read up on some of rumors, supposedly they have an idea as to what they wanna do which can be found in this thread. However, for discussion purposes:

To help find a way to make Superman relevant to modern audiences, studio brass has been polling lots of high-profile talent. There have been discussions with J.J. Abrams, whose company Bad Robot recently signed a massive first-look deal with the studio, and there was a meeting with Michael B. Jordan earlier this year with the "Creed" star pitching Warners on a vision for the character. However, Jordan isn't ready to commit to taking on the project since filming doesn't seem likely to happen for several years and he has a full dance card of projects. Insiders think that a new Superman film is unlikely to hit screens before 2023, given that there's no script and no director attached.

I'd personally be down for this though because it'd be something different. I don't see why we need a dark take on Superman or DC movies anymore. Especially seeing how lighthearted Aquaman and Shazam was, hell even part of Wonder Woman was a bit light hearted and not nearly as dark as the rest of the previous movies. That's what made Aquaman work, that's what made Shazam work, that's what made Wonder Woman so enjoyable too and with all of these movies sure they have high tension moments or dark moments within it but that's not the core of the movies. They have funny moments, funny jokes and they have portions of the movies where they're just having a good time. Sure, Joker was a super dark tone movie but that's in a separate universe and that's what made it work (plus it not being a full on superhero movie).

DC should stop pushing dark takes on movies from this point forward. So, with Superman, just make a light hearted likable superhero and make him be a character the entire universe loves. Sure, it's hard to make him interesting but for the love of god, don't do a dark take on him anymore. MBJ can totally rock that role, he can totally be an entertaining dude and be overall hilarious. Add that charm to Superman and see what you can do plot wise that doesn't make the movie boring and we got something there.

Jul 18, 2018
I swear i have deja-vu. Wasn't a thread that said something similar about Superman last month. Even the whole immigrant thing

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is absolutely the direction they should go for in the next Supes movie. Big Blue now is probably at the most relevant he's been since the Great Depression.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
If you read up on some of rumors, supposedly they have an idea as to what they wanna do which can be found in this thread. However, for discussion purposes:

I'd personally be down for this though because it'd be something different. I don't see why we need a dark take on Superman or DC movies anymore. Especially seeing how lighthearted Aquaman and Shazam was, hell even part of Wonder Woman was a bit light hearted and not nearly as dark as the rest of the previous movies. That's what made Aquaman work, that's what made Shazam work, that's what made Wonder Woman so enjoyable too and with all of these movies sure they have high tension moments or dark moments within it but that's not the core of the movies. They have funny moments, funny jokes and they have portions of the movies where they're just having a good time. Sure, Joker was a super dark tone movie but that's in a separate universe and that's what made it work (plus it not being a full on superhero movie).

DC should stop pushing dark takes on movies from this point forward. So, with Superman, just make a light hearted likable superhero and make him be a character the entire universe loves. Sure, it's hard to make him interesting but for the love of god, don't do a dark take on him anymore. MBJ can totally rock that role, he can totally be an entertaining dude and be overall hilarious. Add that charm to Superman and see what you can do plot wise that doesn't make the movie boring and we got something there.

I would like darker takes, but only with appropriate characters. Like if you want a dark superman, have them do injustice or do a justice lords cross over. Or maybe even another gods and monsters movie.
I just don't want them to completely copy the tone that Marvel has, it got old quick for me. And if they do, just give me separate takes like Joker sprinkled in.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Is this... not the same thread as this one?

Like it's using the same article... just framed more... let's say creatively.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I would like darker takes, but only with appropriate characters. Like if you want a dark superman, have them do injustice or do a justice lords cross over. Or maybe even another gods and monsters movie.
I just don't want them to completely copy the tone that Marvel has, it got old quick for me. And if they do, just give me separate takes like Joker sprinkled in.

I agree with this! However, I think they need to build towards an event that leads to these dark takes on their heroes. I think building up to high tension moments that leads to an Injustice movie or something like that where we see these dark take on these super heroes would make a lot more sense than just doing a dark take on them because they think it's interesting and fun to do. Shazam, Aquaman and Wonder Woman have all worked because they're light hearted. Joker worked as a darker movie because it was a movie where it showed all these dark events which led to.. what happened in the movie (not gonna spoil it lol).

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this! However, I think they need to build towards an event that leads to these dark takes on their heroes. I think building up to high tension moments that leads to an Injustice movie or something like that where we see these dark take on these super heroes would make a lot more sense than just doing a dark take on them because they think it's interesting and fun to do. Shazam, Aquaman and Wonder Woman have all worked because they're light hearted. Joker worked as a darker movie because it was a movie where it showed all these dark events which led to.. what happened in the movie (not gonna spoil it lol).
I can't even think of how they'd do injustice unless it's an elseworld. Cause everyone is so far gone, the things that happened, there is no walk back for that.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know people like to rag on the Death of Superman arc bringing some ridiculous stuff afterward in the comics with his resurrection , but the Superman presented in actual Death of Superman comics remains one of my favorite depictions. There's this great part early on before Doomsday appears where he's visiting a high school class talking about how every time he goes into a fight he's actually scared out of the outcome. He's scared for the people around him and even despite all his powers, scared for himself. But he goes into those fights because he has to, because people need him to.

That Superman can absolutely be mighty and strong, but he also radiates kindness, and yes, hope.

Is that really that hard to bring to the movies again? If so, I don't get why.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I felt they were on the right track with Man of Steel.

The idea of growing up and learning you're basically a god and the consequences of that was interesting. I feel Cavil was growing well in that role.

Scared of his terrifying power and learning to control it, whilst the world worships you.

The biggest hurdle is finding someone for him to fight. I mean Luthor is good for the psychological stuff. But you need action or the movie is basically Superman Returns and people can say they'd go to watch a Superman movie with no action but we know a huge majority will not.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not sure why DC era Hollywood can't make a version of Superman that isn't either a boring loser or an aloof jerk.

Movies aside, I kinda gave up on him in the Superman vs Aliens crossover when Superman doesn't want to kill the xenomorph because "to Superman all life is sacred." It's like, c'mon Supes, really? It's the xenomorph. Cut us a break here. Guy would help the bubonic plague cross the street if it was dressed up like an old lady.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Now there's a crappy and cynical take.

I always found Superman makes the biggest impression when he's saving lives, not trading blows. Picture a young Christopher Reeve giving a little girl a humble nod and smile after rescuing her kitten from a tree before flying off. That's what Superman always was to me - strength in kindness. We can't be Superman but we could all be what he represents. All it needs is Lex to fuck with that a bit.

I'd imagine that's a hard sell for today's movie goers though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movies aside, I kinda gave up on him in the Superman vs Aliens crossover when Superman doesn't want to kill the xenomorph because "to Superman all life is sacred." It's like, c'mon Supes, really? It's the xenomorph. Cut us a break here. Guy would help the bubonic plague cross the street if it was dressed up like an old lady.

But that's exactly what Superman would do. If you're stuck on a spaceship and you're being hunted by a xenomorph, fighting for your survival is absolutely understandable. They can't harm Superman, though. Like at all. Even more importantly, he possesses the means and the capabilities to simply move those xenomorphs to a planet very, very far away where they can't hunt intelligent life.

There's basically no reason why Superman wouldn't refuse to kill a xenomorph. They're driven entirely by their survival instinct, they're not malicious or evil. You don't kill something that just wants to live, you move it somewhere where it would fit into the natural food chain.

And given it's DC we're talking about there are probably hundreds of planets with fauna more dangerous than a xenomorph.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It isn't only DC, developers don't know how to handle Superman, best super hero, #1 leader, so you look at all the good surrounding Superman and I have no idea why they can't do anything with the character haha

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It is insane to me that anyone at DC Films could say with a straight face they don't know how to make Superman relevant to modern audiences. Fucking look at what Marvel has done with Captain America over the last eight years! Look at the CW show! There are plenty of examples of a relateable Superman, or a Superman-esque character, happening right now.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
FFS, look at the DCAU. Just make him Superman. No deconstruction or whatnot like Snyder. Make him like this:

Nov 2, 2017
I've always thought the reason that Superman seems to work so rarely is that he's a character who's really not well suited to superhero cliche, or at least any more.
There's lots of really good work you can do with him, but it tends to mean having to broaden out so that it's not just generic superhero stuff.

This is why you get a lot of "Superman sucks" stuff. If you dig at it, the usual points are not why he's a bad character but how ill-fitting the character is in terms of superhero tropes.

All Star Superman is fucking amazing, but think of how little any of those issues really stick to the superhero formula.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
I felt they were on the right track with Man of Steel.

The idea of growing up and learning you're basically a god and the consequences of that was interesting. I feel Cavil was growing well in that role.

Scared of his terrifying power and learning to control it, whilst the world worships you.

The biggest hurdle is finding someone for him to fight. I mean Luthor is good for the psychological stuff. But you need action or the movie is basically Superman Returns and people can say they'd go to watch a Superman movie with no action but we know a huge majority will not.

I like the idea that Snyder was slowly going to get to the "real" Superman once he was finished with the plot of JL. The idea that hope wasn't a thing because Darkseid was already influencing reality sounded cool on paper, it just wasn't going to work over 5 movies.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
But that's exactly what Superman would do. If you're stuck on a spaceship and you're being hunted by a xenomorph, fighting for your survival is absolutely understandable. They can't harm Superman, though. Like at all. Even more importantly, he possesses the means and the capabilities to simply move those xenomorphs to a planet very, very far away where they can't hunt intelligent life.

There's basically no reason why Superman wouldn't refuse to kill a xenomorph. They're driven entirely by their survival instinct, they're not malicious or evil. You don't kill something that just wants to live, you move it somewhere where it would fit into the natural food chain.

And given it's DC we're talking about there are probably hundreds of planets with fauna more dangerous than a xenomorph.

The xenomorph are nothing more than biological weapons which were specifically designed to wipe out all life in the universe other than themselves yet he doesn't want to wipe them out because....life is sacred. That seems really contradictory and makes Supes look dumb. And even if you don't go by whatever is considered "canon" in the Alien universe the xenomorph exist for nothing else other than to kill anything that isn't related to the xenomorph. He won't kill a pit bull attacking a baby because it's "just an animal acting on instinct"? So yes, every so often Supe's personal "moral code" can seem unreasonably stupid. But hey, it's great that Superman himself can't be harmed by the xenomorph and if he can somehow move every single one of them to a magical location where they'll somehow be perfectly contained and somehow never, ever be discovered by people and other mortal things that can be harmed by the xenomorph then more power to him I guess?

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Are they stupid? How can an illegal alien being raised by a poor family from rural Kansas not be super topical? Lol

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Itd be interesting to have a character action superman game like made by Platinum where Superman doesnt have a healthbar and the driving force keeping players attentive is making your combos cooler and longer.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The xenomorph are nothing more than biological weapons which were specifically designed to wipe out all life in the universe other than themselves yet he doesn't want to wipe them out because....life is sacred. That seems really contradictory and makes Supes look dumb. And even if you don't go by whatever is considered "canon" in the Alien universe the xenomorph exist for nothing else other than to kill anything that isn't related to the xenomorph. So yes, every so often Supe's personal "moral code" can seem really unreasonably stupid and that would have been one of those times. But hey, it's great that Superman himself can't be harmed by the xenomorph and if he can somehow move every single one of them to a magical location where they'll somehow be perfectly contained and somehow never, ever be discovered by people and other mortal things that can be harmed by the xenomorph then more power to him I guess?
Agree with this take

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I have seen countless ways to make a modern Superman relevant on Twitter since yesterday, it's great!

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The only dark take of Superman that I will accept is one where happy-go-lucky 'Truth, Justice, American Way' Superman lives in a grimdark world.

Part of why Superman is great is that he has the godly powers that allow him to engage with such a dark world, but not have to play by its rules.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The xenomorph are nothing more than biological weapons which were specifically designed to wipe out all life in the universe other than themselves yet he doesn't want to wipe them out because....life is sacred. That seems really contradictory and makes Supes look dumb. And even if you don't go by whatever is considered "canon" in the Alien universe the xenomorph exist for nothing else other than to kill anything that isn't related to the xenomorph. He won't kill a pit bull attacking a baby because it's "just an animal acting on instinct"? So yes, every so often Supe's personal "moral code" can seem unreasonably stupid. But hey, it's great that Superman himself can't be harmed by the xenomorph and if he can somehow move every single one of them to a magical location where they'll somehow be perfectly contained and somehow never, ever be discovered by people and other mortal things that can be harmed by the xenomorph then more power to him I guess?

So you want Superman to basically kill anything that's dangerous to anything else? You just said you'd want him to kill a dog because it's attacking a baby when he's fucking Superman and could fly the dog to the pound in like two seconds.