• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the Arrow thread because it seems more suitable for the DC general thread.

Sounds like Jon Kent and his tech sidekick lol

Ha. I guess they probably WOULD want to age him up so they don't have to deal with a baby in the show. Nothing says momentum-killer like an infant.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty damn sure that they're going to do a gigantic cliffhanger at the end of Part 3, Infinity War-style, then make us wait until after Christmas for the resolution.
Oh, definitely, it's just that reading things like "Rory discovers a hidden talent" and "Iris has a heart-to-heart with Ryan Choi" reminds me that they'll still be regular Arrowverse episodes with all their usual tropes...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, definitely, it's just that reading things like "Rory discovers a hidden talent" and "Iris has a heart-to-heart with Ryan Choi" reminds me that they'll still be regular Arrowverse episodes with all their usual tropes...

To be fair, they have to be vague in these kinds of things and not focus on major plot beats in synopses this early.

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The synopsis for Elseworlds Part 3 was literally just "Supergirl, the Flash, Green Arrow and Superman engage in the battle of their lives." because they didn't want to put anything else in.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also important to keep in mind that these synopses try to prioritize the contributions of the main-cast actors of the shows that the crossover episodes correspond to - which is why Killer Frost gets mentioned in the Flash writeup and so on and so forth.

I am a little confused by the "Kate and Kara try to find Bruce Wayne" thing, though. Maybe they go looking for Earth-1's Bruce but find Future Bruce instead?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The synopsis for Elseworlds Part 3 was literally just "Supergirl, the Flash, Green Arrow and Superman engage in the battle of their lives." because they didn't want to put anything else in.
Yeah good point, it's a good way to keep most of the surprises hidden.
I am a little confused by the "Kate and Kara try to find Bruce Wayne" thing, though. Maybe they go looking for Earth-1's Bruce but find Future Bruce instead?
It's either that or KC Supes tells them to go get his Bruce Wayne.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Does this crossover feel kinda ... inspirational for anyone else?

I mean somebody went from "lets put this crazy reference here on flash" to "i think we can actually do it" to "lets fucking do it" in like 6 years

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Nora makes it into the crossover too.

Also why no Lena on the poster? :(

They can't fit everyone on there. At least Lena's in this crossover for a change. The last couple crossovers, she was credited (due to series regular contractual requirements, I'm sure) but never actually showed up.

Does this crossover feel kinda ... inspirational for anyone else?

I mean somebody went from "lets put this crazy reference here on flash" to "i think we can actually do it" to "lets fucking do it" in like 6 years

I honestly think the DCEU cratering the way it did basically convinced Guggenheim to go all-in. Once people saw Superman interacting with the Flash and Oliver on the Smallville farm last year, there was no going back.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
They can't fit everyone on there. At least Lena's in this crossover for a change. The last couple crossovers, she was credited (due to series regular contractual requirements, I'm sure) but never actually showed up.

I honestly think the DCEU cratering the way it did basically convinced Guggenheim to go all-in. Once people saw Superman interacting with the Flash and Oliver on the Smallville farm last year, there was no going back.

But HER BROTHER is on the poster! lol

Wonder if it's a sign that he's going to be main cast on the Lois & Clark show.

Or on Supergirl.

Or really you could send him anywhere and he'd be a delight.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But HER BROTHER is on the poster! lol

Wonder if it's a sign that he's going to be main cast on the Lois & Clark show.

Or on Supergirl.

Or really you could send him anywhere and he'd be a delight.

Hopefully he jumps over to Superman and Lois. I don't really see the logic in keeping Lex off of the show with his own nemesis.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Speaking of things they should do for Crisis, if none of Conroy's scenes have a musical nod to this

Then just throw the whole crossover away

(Not worried though, they were savvy enough to arrange the 90s Flash intro for a scene in Elseworlds)

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Kinda interesting that Cisco's on the poster but the only Arrow character is Oliver and....Lyla? lol
Arrow got shafted in representation on the poster. Oliver didn't even get to be in the middle.

That said this poster was probably designed without knowledge of whether they could put Mia on it, as we know now she's in. Diggle's also been in plenty of set leaks, Dinah and Rene are in and Earth-1 Laurel is in the Arrow hour. The Arrow and Legends hours are also in January.

Speaking of things they should do for Crisis, if none of Conroy's scenes have a musical nod to this

Then just throw the whole crossover away

(Not worried though, they were savvy enough to arrange the 90s Flash intro for a scene in Elseworlds)
They're probably not allowed. They tried to use the classic Superman theme and were turned down.

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably not allowed. They tried to use the classic Superman theme and were turned down.
movie themes are different,
Animated Batman themes get referenced a lot of times later

www.youtube.com

A Very Shirley Batwing

Provided to YouTube by WaterTower MusicA Very Shirley Batwing · Shirley WalkerBatman and Harley Quinn (Music From The DC Universe Original Movie)℗ 2017 Warne...

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I do like that the DC has been less restrictive about having multiple version of characters and properties across different TV shows, movies and whatever else. I can't say that their output is better(or worse) than Marvel's but I do prefer that things feel less synergistic. Like with Marvel, if I don't like their live-action version of a character I know what i'm probably not gonna get another interoperation of that character for a long while. Especially with their TV shows and movies being so closely tied together.

Somewhat related, i'd actually much prefer a big budget live-action Batman TV series over another live-action movie. Batman's universe is too big and has too many great characters to fit into one movie every 2-3-4 years.

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm making my way through S4 of Supergirl and it's a bit of a infuriating experience.

• Jimmy "but we gotta cover all the sides" Olsen is such a useless character and it does him no favors to just casually endorse Lena's descent into villainy. I swear, I think they use some sort of random storyline generator to plot out his character.

• I always thought that Lena's most interesting character trait was that she denied her heritage/destiny of being a villain. The idea that she seems to be turning bad feels like such a misfire created only to inspire more unnecessary drama.

• Also, why am I supposed to buy that Kara and Lena are best friends? I don't think they've had any significant moment together on-screen. S4 they barely even spend time together as Kara and Lana!

• Can someone explain the "DEO doesn't know Supergirl's secret identity" retcon? I'm not crazy, right? I'm almost positive that she used to walk around the DEO base as Kara with the acknowledgment that they knew her dual identities were linked. Anyway, this storyline fucking sucks.

• The show means well but it's attempts to show the good in literal fascists made me consider quitting it all together. What's the point of giving Agent Liberty even the smallest bit of sympathy in his backstory? Fuck that. In the real world, the people these characters are based on don't have a tragic backstory that they can use to try and rationalize their actions. If this is suppose to be an allegory for our modern day nazis, then actually portray that. Show how these fascist humans are irationally angry about harmless alien customs and culture that diversifies earth's own culture. Show them wanting to deny aliens equal rights even though it won't effect their own rights. Don't have Agent Liberty and his oddly racially diverse hate group use Christopher Columbus colonizing the USA and murdering indigenous peoples as a reason for his actions. Like, what the fuck even is that?

• Manchester Black would've been great if the show wasn't so scared of realizing that violent anit-fascist aren't really the problem. Instead, we get a show that almost portrays him as being just as immoral and threatening as literal nazis.

• Thank god for Luthor, though. Finally a villain who isn't vaguely abstracted from some random character no one cares about. Cryer does a pretty good job as Lex too. It's honesty the only positive of this season thus far.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pjpcbyjdCA1wxl8t9o3_500.gifv

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Probably more a legal rights thing. Reeves Superman is just Superman. The theme might be owned by Williams.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's probably the hurdle. Hopefully they get to use either the Elfman or Walker BTAS leitmotifs (ideally, the latter) since they were able to seemingly use Elfman's Flash theme with no issue.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making my way through S4 of Supergirl and it's a bit of a infuriating experience.

• Jimmy "but we gotta cover all the sides" Olsen is such a useless character and it does him no favors to just casually endorse Lena's descent into villainy. I swear, I think they use some sort of random storyline generator to plot out his character.

• I always thought that Lena's most interesting character trait was that she denied her heritage/destiny of being a villain. The idea that she seems to be turning bad feels like such a misfire created only to inspire more unnecessary drama.

• Also, why am I supposed to buy that Kara and Lena are best friends? I don't think they've had any significant moment together on-screen. S4 they barely even spend time together as Kara and Lana!

• Can someone explain the "DEO doesn't know Supergirl's secret identity" retcon? I'm not crazy, right? I'm almost positive that she used to walk around the DEO base as Kara with the acknowledgment that they knew her dual identities were linked. Anyway, this storyline fucking sucks.

• The show means well but it's attempts to show the good in literal fascists made me consider quitting it all together. What's the point of giving Agent Liberty even the smallest bit of sympathy in his backstory? Fuck that. In the real world, the people these characters are based on don't have a tragic backstory that they can use to try and rationalize their actions. If this is suppose to be an allegory for our modern day nazis, then actually portray that. Show how these fascist humans are irationally angry about harmless alien customs and culture that diversifies earth's own culture. Show them wanting to deny aliens equal rights even though it won't effect their own rights. Don't have Agent Liberty and his oddly racially diverse hate group use Christopher Columbus colonizing the USA and murdering indigenous peoples as a reason for his actions. Like, what the fuck even is that?

• Manchester Black would've been great if the show wasn't so scared of realizing that violent anit-fascist aren't really the problem. Instead, we get a show that almost portrays him as being just as immoral and threatening as literal nazis.

• Thank god for Luthor, though. Finally a villain who isn't vaguely abstracted from some random character no one cares about. Cryer does a pretty good job as Lex too. It's honesty the only positive of this season thus far.

the episoide about Liberty is the best of the series, it's pretty truer to form of how radicalization comes about.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that Lena's most interesting character trait was that she denied her heritage/destiny of being a villain. The idea that she seems to be turning bad feels like such a misfire created only to inspire more unnecessary drama.

If you're upset now...

Also, why am I supposed to buy that Kara and Lena are best friends? I don't think they've had any significant moment together on-screen. S4 they barely even spend time together as Kara and Lana!
Can someone explain the "DEO doesn't know Supergirl's secret identity" retcon? I'm not crazy, right? I'm almost positive that she used to walk around the DEO base as Kara with the acknowledgment that they knew her dual identities were linked. Anyway, this storyline fucking sucks.

Both the friendship and the DEO thing is basically this show hoping you'd forget that it clearly contradicts the previous seasons. I don't even blame them, the show is so forgetful that I didn't even realize until someone pointed it out lol

the episoide about Liberty is the best of the series, it's pretty truer to form of how radicalization comes about.

Pretty much. Given how heavy-handed the show is about slamming down that kind of stuff, I'd agree that the message is more of showing how someone can get radicalized, not that there's good in everyone

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Agent Liberty was very well done until the whole 'it was Lex all along!' thing. I still can't help but think they never intended to have Lex and then threw Liberty and Manchester aside when they got him.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, considering that Manchester as he was originally portrayed was more faschy than Supes - explicit political violence against lawbreakers being fairly right-wing - the decision to make him an Antifa Supersoldier is wacky as hell anyway.

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Manchester's death was so anticlimactic I thought it was a fake out. I was like that can't possibly be the end for him right?

And then it just was.