• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
e9yBlLr9_400x400.jpg

The DC Universe is a new streaming app from WarnerMedia that will focus exclusively on content from the world of DC and its characters. It will be home to not just movies, television series, animated shows but hundreds of digital comics for you to read and enjoy.

What Do You Get?
We have content spanning the entire history of DC from the Superman serials of the 1940s to the Death of Superman animated movie from just last month.

In addition you get an... odd assortment of comics from across DC's history. Books from their recent Rebirth all the way back to Superman and Batman's first appearance, but few completed arcs or long runs right now. Seems like a handful of each series as a sampler.

Dm8JJ-TV4AAMCBP.jpg

According to the site, comics for purchase will be coming in October 2018.

Where can I use it?

Currently, it's up on the Play Store and web browser for sure. Roku, iOS, Android TV and Apple TV should all be supported at launch. Console support is coming eventually.

IT will launch only in the United States and it seems like other countries may slowly drip out in 2019.

How much is it?

It's 7.99/month or 74.99/annually.

As of September 2018, this is the content that I see that is available for viewing.

Superman Serials Adventures of Superman Return of the Joker Batman vs Robin Batman Bad Blood Gotham by Gaslight Gotham Knights Mask of the Phantasm Mystery of the Batwoman Green Lantern Emerald Knights

The Dark Knight Returns 1/2 Under the Red Hood Year One Brave and the Bold Batman TAS 1-3 JL/JLU Young Justice Legion of Superheroes Lois and Clark Teen Titans 1-3 Adventures of Superboy The Spirit Death of Superman 1990s The Flash Constantine

Superman 1-4 Superman Doomsday Fleischer Superman Son of Batman 9 seasons of Superfriends Superman TAS Son of Batman Wonder Woman 77 Wonder Woman 70s pilot Wonder Woman animated movie The Return of Black Adams DC Nation shorts

Birds of Prey Human Target Static shock The New Frontier Crisis on Two Earths Assault on Arkham

A mixture of documentaries/bonus features
Dm8hDdHX4AA3MC6.jpg

Most importantly, the series will have new and exclusive content, beginning in October with the launch of the Titans TV series followed by Young Justice, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn and more in 2019.

I'll dick around with it some more in the morning.

Original Series in the Works
DcTkRpcVAAAZyxi.jpg

DcTkRpcU8AATP3X.jpg

DdLk4GwVMAEPMLI.jpg

DmhH4HyUwAAzAnh.jpg

DcTkS1FVwAEYmMd.jpg

joegn8qw

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The comics selection mainly being just random titles and few full arcs and series is such bullshit. Makes the service feel more like an ad to buy more stuff than a value all on its own.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The comics selection mainly being just random titles and few full arcs and series is such bullshit. Makes the service feel more like an ad to buy more stuff than a value all on its own.
my dream of a Marvel Unlimited style service for DC titles continues to go unfulfilled

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Yeah it's even more bitter sweet because some genuinely good ideas with the curation but alas

tumblr_pez7uhpN5Q1qeosmfo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pez7uhpN5Q1qeosmfo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pez7uhpN5Q1qeosmfo4_1280.jpg

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am throwing money at the screen but they keep saying not available in my region... DC continues to baffle

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That is a great title.

But let me get this straight ... the only NEW thing right now will be the TAS remaster ?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Comic selection doesn't seem that bad actually, aside from the random first issues.
A bunch of cool and relatively obscure minis, some full runs (BoP and Legends of the Dark Knight)...
It's a good start but the real question is really how they will cycle them and complete some of the runs.
I'm not gonna take the plunge right away, but I'm tempted.
They have like half the issues of Kirby's Fourth World. Add the rest plus a reading order checklist and I'm in. That shit is a pain to find digitally. At least last I checked.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That is a great title.

But let me get this straight ... the only NEW thing right now will be the TAS remaster ?
Yeah
Think launching without Titans is an odd decision
But between that and buying comics and merch later. Feel like a soft launch for Batman Day

Comic selection doesn't seem that bad actually, aside from the random first issues.
A bunch of cool and relatively obscure minis, some full runs (BoP and Legends of the Dark Knight)...
It's a good start but the real question is really how they will cycle them and complete some of the runs.
I'm not gonna take the plunge right away, but I'm tempted.
They have like half the issues of Kirby's Fourth World. Add the rest plus a reading order checklist and I'm in. That shit is a pain to find digitally. At least last I checked.

Digging into it a bit, it will be a bit like Netflix
Disappointed if looking for something specific but it just browsing to re read something it discover a random comic series could be fun

Already a few going to check out whenever I get

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Are they ever gonna add stuff like Gotham/Smallville/Arrowverse or will it just be new stuff like Teen Titans?

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
good lord that website is wonky as fuck. Why does the Batman TAS state there are 3 seasons but only shows two, and season one has 65 episodes?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Shame it's not like Marvel Unlimited... that is a huge knock against it.

How does the iPhone App handle local downloads? Or do I need internet access to watch Young Justice, etc

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
good lord that website is wonky as fuck. Why does the Batman TAS state there are 3 seasons but only shows two, and season one has 65 episodes?
The first season of Batman Tas is 65 episodes

Then I think 13 and 10
Then 24
It's uneven
And yeah sends wonky
But guess official launch is Saturday

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
A+ OT name. It does seem weird to not have a show like Titans or Young Justice season 3 ready at launch to draw people in. When this was first rumored I thought YJ would be the killer title for the launch but then that got moved so I assumed that Titans would take its place given the placement it got at SDCC. Having neither of them ready at launch is an odd choice.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra disappointed in the comics selection, definitely not the "thousands" of curated issues they hyped up.

But I guess I'm the sucker because I preordered a year sub and its non-refundable.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to subscribe to this! Why haven't they announced it for other territories outside the US!?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the selection, I'm kinda pleased - like, I've been meaning to start the Grill Green Arrow and Ostrander Suicide Squad runs, so I can get the first ~20 issues here and then continue on Hoopla. They've got the Atlantis Chronicles in full, which is awesome, since I just got that recommendation in the Comics OT.

But it's really hit and miss. Like, Kirby's New Gods? All 11 issues! His Mister Miracle? Just the first three. 25/29 issues of the Authority. The first three of Crisis on Infinite Earth, and both issues of History of the DC Universe. Just weird.

And evidently Man-Bat has had two self-titles series, both of which warranted inclusion...?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the comic selection (I understand it will be built over time but FOH with only doing single issues instead of full trades), and the lack of new content mean this is a pass for me. I'll keep an eye on how the shows end up being- I could see myself becoming a subscriber as the catalog gets filled out, but this is a real CBS All Access level of tough sell, and I like Star Trek way more than any DC superhero.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm going to wait until Saturday to make a pass on the actually launch since this just seems like service went live early.

But right now, it's an odd sell.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I signed up for the annual promo where I got a few free months with the pre-order so I hope it is worth it. Looking forward to watching Titans.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I signed up. I'll stick around until Titans starts and see how I feel about it. Atleast right now I've got stuff to watch on it like the Superman animated series which I've never seen before, BtAS and some of the movies. Being able to read a couple random comics is just the icing.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this. It's gonna be so great :)

EDIT: I thought this was coming out on the 15th??? I just signed up and am able to use the service :O

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This should really be $5 a month tops.

Once the shows start airing, the current price will be fine. But this launch totally should have been held off until they had atleast Titans ready to go along with it. After seeing what is available right now, im going to wait until some shows start dropping and more comics are added. This just seems like a bad way to launch their streaming service if they want good word of mouth feedback.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. That's the real bummer. I'll keep on an eye to see how the service evolves and when they build up a library of original content I'll probably sign on for a month or two. But the way of handling comic selections means I likely won't pull for yearly subscriptions or anything.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could see myself subscribing once the first seasons of all 6 announced shows are out but not before.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Right now it's not worth it, but once the upcoming shows start dropping I might sub. I wish they'd have uploaded more comic books though, put up series from the 70s and 80s if you're so adverse to putting up current stuff.