• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.comicsbeat.com

Green Lantern 80th anniversary celebration set for May

A Green Lantern 80th anniversary comic is due out in May from DC Comics, joining similar celebrations for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others.
green-lantern-80th-1-1940-variant-nicola-scott-scaled.jpg

Green Lantern will be the next character to get the 80th anniversary celebration treatment from DC Comics, with a Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular announced this morning for May.

Most DC Comics fans will know what to expect from this book, having already gotten their hands on similar comics celebrating Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, with 80th anniversary celebrations due soon for The Flash, Catwoman, and The Joker. Basically, the book will be an anthology of stories set throughout the character's history, from creators who have worked on the franchise in the past as well as some newcomers to the mythos.

Alan Scott the first Green lantern premiered in July 1940

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having a legacy of 80 years where every single character is better than the main one.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
80 years of history and we still don't even a single good Green Lantern movie yet...SMH

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
So, how many does that make it for this year? Four or five? Robin, Joker, Catwoman, Green Lantern. Who am I missing?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really? Ain't he the one that Kyle parallax killed?

Jack is from a planet so evil it's called Hellhole, carried a gun to kill dudes long before Simon existed, and this is his invocation for his Lantern.

You who are wicked, evil and mean
I'm the nastiest creep you've ever seen!
Come one, come all, put up a fight
I'll pound your butts with Green Lantern's light!
Yowza.

That's some stylin' shit.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i still remember my disappointment when I learned John Stewart wasnt the original green lantern (introduction to the character was justice league cartoons)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Hal Sucks and his continued existence seems predicated on the fact that a bunch of dc folks in editorial are too in love with legacy characters.

I hope to god someone in the film division just does another green lantern next time

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
where's my boy kilowagg in that image, doing him dirty
i still remember my disappointment when I learned John Stewart wasnt the original green lantern (introduction to the character was justice league cartoons)
Sadly he rivals Hal in the worst Lantern category... heck he probably wins on lack of personality

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
where's my boy kilowagg in that image, doing him dirty

Sadly he rivals Hal in the worst Lantern category... heck he probably wins on lack of personality

He let a planet die one time.... Something something military.

Kyle is the best lantern but Hal had the best baddies

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Man does the lntern have some shitty alts and the only real good suit there is the Black with White chest. Gardner also doesn't deserve to be there, look at his resting douche face he knows it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hal's different in that he has no personality to speak of.
He's got personality... it's not a great personality, but you can easily define what his characteristics are. Before the cartoon, all you could say about John was he made a mistake during Cosmic Odyssey and... he's an architect?

Same with Barry Allen, when Johns brought him back he had to make up a lot of new crap to make him interesting, some of it centered around what kind of ties he liked. Both Hal and Barry basically got cancelled and replaced because people no longer cared about them.

Are they doing 80th anniversaries for Flash, Robin, Catwoman, Hawkman, Spectre, Shazam, the JSA and Ma Hunkel the Red Tornado?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Never got into it myself, but still going strong after 80 years is respectable. The whole Green Lantern idea provides a lot of opportunity to do different stuff.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's got personality... it's not a great personality, but you can easily define what his characteristics are. Before the cartoon, all you could say about John was he made a mistake during Cosmic Odyssey and... he's an architect?

Same with Barry Allen, when Johns brought him back he had to make up a lot of new crap to make him interesting, some of it centered around what kind of ties he liked. Both Hal and Barry basically got cancelled and replaced because people no longer cared about them.

"Fearless" and "Miscellaneous", respectively.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Are they doing 80th anniversaries for Flash, Robin, Catwoman, Hawkman, Spectre, Shazam, the JSA and Ma Hunkel the Red Tornado?
Hal is that guy that peaked in high school and somehow got lucky

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should have put Jo from Far Sector on that cover over Teen Lantern, since she's an "official" Lantern and all. (Also it's a better book than Young Justice.)

I'll admit I don't really like Green Lantern as a rule, but I did like the Rebirth one with Simon and Jessica. Also the TV series, that was solid.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hal is that guy that peaked in high school and somehow got lucky

Well, part of the problem is that he's the brash, cocky hotshot test pilot who had no fear, and then when he naturally aged into an elder statesman (complete with greying temples) they had to lose that or have him stuck as a manchild (and they already had Gardner).

Nov 1, 2017
Hal Jordan sucks and was better as Parallax, they need to hurry up and reveal he actually won at doing Zero Hour and the current DC universe with all the legacy characters usually replaced by the silver age versions as part of Hal's mad schemes to have his friends back in the limelight. His whole Rebirth being part to boost his own star as a true hero. Only the universe keeps trying to fight back against his manipulations, between Hal imposing his reality and the universe trying to right itself bad things have been occurring as a result.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Well, part of the problem is that he's the brash, cocky hotshot test pilot who had no fear, and then when he naturally aged into an elder statesman (complete with greying temples) they had to lose that or have him stuck as a manchild (and they already had Gardner).
Man Red Lantern Guy was some deep stuff, him and Ice are an underrated couple

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Guy will forever be held back by his initial haircut, his time as Guy Gardner: Warrior, and the Batman punch. But otherwise, he's a great character, and the first choice for that ring.
I like that the only people shown to be able to use multiple rings is Guy and Kyle. Hal was literally too arrogant to weild a Blue and Green ring, the two most synched rings in the whole damn spectrum

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Guy will forever be held back by his initial haircut, his time as Guy Gardner: Warrior, and the Batman punch. But otherwise, he's a great character, and the first choice for that ring.
Honestly, my opinion of Guy as a character was damaged by just how much time he spent being an insufferable bully. Especially when he outright assaulted the Ray for no good reason when he was sent to recruit the kid into the JLA.