• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
he Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is making an early move to deter primary challenges against sitting incumbents in the caucus with a new policy aimed in part at protecting the new majority.

The campaign arm on Friday sent out a list of hiring standards to more than 100 political firms, including one provision that made clear it will neither contract with nor recommend to House candidates any political vendors that work to oust sitting members of Congress. That offers key protection to the caucus's moderate members in battleground seats, where House control will be won or lost.

It is intended to help stymie attempts by insurgent progressive groups who plan to primary incumbents deemed insufficiently liberal on key issues, but also to shield members of the party's ascendant liberal wing who represent safe Democratic territory and could face intraparty challenges of their own.

"The core mission of the DCCC is electing House Democrats, which includes supporting and protecting incumbents," the committee wrote in a memo.

The new protocol, intentionally debuted early in the off-year before most campaign hiring begins, presents a stark financial deterrent to the country's top firms that provide essential services ranging from polling to TV advertising to strategy. It could cripple would-be primary opponents' ability to entice top talent to join their staff. The DCCC independent-expenditure arm doles out millions in contracts to consultants and drives more revenue toward them by connecting campaigns with vetted operatives.

"The DCCC is often times the gatekeeper for consultants to get to candidates," said Ian Russell, a campaign media strategist and former top official at the committee. "Unless you have a steady stream of income coming from another source, it would be very difficult to navigate the House world if you were shut out by the DCCC."

Democrats involved in crafting the standards intend for it to bolster members across the ideological spectrum, from the fiscally conservative Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas to the progressive Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota—both of whom could be subject to contested primaries.

Still, the largest implications will be for protecting a House majority made of dozens of centrist members in Trump-friendly districts.

Regardless, the change is likely to spark backlash from the constellation of liberal groups that are plotting against incumbents. Their central argument is that primary challenges are healthy for the party and bring in crucial perspectives, particularly from young women of color.

"The DCCC can do anything it wants to try to prevent the next generation of Democrats from taking power. They will not succeed," said Sean McElwee, co-founder of Data for Progress, which is helping recruit primary challengers.

He said his group would help those opponents find firms with which to work: "There are plenty."

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/677493?unlock=0FAOJVLRMIIGKLY7

Basically, circling the wagons on protecting power structures and hierarchy. These folks have gotten way too comfortable while they rightly, but hypocritically, point out GOP voter disenfranchisement.

I guess this means outside progressive groups like Justice Dems are even more important now.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
They don't want anymore AOCs, Ilhan Omars, Ayanna Pressleys, etc. Basically any new comers that might rock the boat.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dem establishment is something we're going to have to work together from the inside and outside to take over.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The Dem establishment is something we're going to have to work together from the inside and outside to take over.

Correct. That is why we should be critical of the party structure at large and the politicians who support a status quo or regressive attitude on various things. Of course, that can also be looked at as a separate matter to this, which is blatantly undemocratic and should be called out for what it is by the media.

But considering outlets like politico are only interested in protecting power structures themselves(they recently had an article basically claiming that money in the political system has never corrupted politicians), that sounds like a long shot at this point in time.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct. That is why we should be critical of the party structure at large and the politicians who support a status quo or regressive attitude on various things. Of course, that can also be looked at as a separate matter to this, which is blatantly undemocratic and should be called out for what it is by the media.

But considering outlets like politico are only interested in protecting power structures themselves(they recently had an article basically claiming that money in the political system has never corrupted politicians), that sounds like a long shot at this point in time.

It's not a process that's going to be quick. The Dems are a lot more entrenched than the Republicans were in 2010. They're also used to uprisings.

Oct 27, 2017
Warren is an acceptable vehicle for change imo. I feel the same about Bernie so whoever wins, we win.

I really should have learned my lesson by now with arguing this over here, but: Why settle for Warren, the political sidecar who cribbed everything from Bernie? Be politically imaginative, vote for Bernie, and then support his plan to strengthen unions and workplace power to effect change outside of electoralism and congress. Get rid of the soul-harvester, instead of just installing new break-pads in it, like Warren wants.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's quite unfortunate that most here don't have this same thinking. It's clear that the Dems aren't as effective as they could be.

The democrats are rotten. When they have power, they don't want to use it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I really should have learned my lesson by now with arguing this over here, but: Why settle for Warren, the political sidecar who cribbed everything from Bernie? Be politically imaginative, vote for Bernie, and then support his plan to strengthen unions and workplace power to effect change outside of electoralism and congress. Get rid of the soul-harvester, instead of just installing new break-pads in it, like Warren wants.

I would vote for either of them, I can see the daylight between their policy sets, sure. But when it comes to my primary vote, I will probably vote for Bernie. But if it looks like Warren could take it, I'd really like to see Warren as the first female pres. I can support both for a while longer. I have no reason to tear down either of them while Joe Biden is still hogging the #1 slot. He's got to go, then I can enjoy picking between Warren and Bernie

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

What is this bull shit. Do you support the cause or do you just support Bernie?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite unfortunate that most here don't have this same thinking. It's clear that the Dems aren't as effective as they could be.

The democrats are rotten. When they have power, they don't want to use it.

I might stub my toe and it hurts for a few days... Or I might drive my car off a cliff with my entire family in it going 100mph.

Dearie me! Decisions decisions!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the CPFB was clearly Bernie's idea first. The Two-Income Trap was clearly plagiarized. How could I have not seen that one of the US's top bankruptcy experts was really just copying and pasting the work of a person who hasn't ever worked in the

The DCCC stuff? It's a party organization run entirely by Democratic House Incumbents. Of course that group will want to collectively dissuade primary challengers! They don't owe anything to their potential primary opponents in this regard.

This stuff though? This is a legitimate problem that thankfully we'll likely get a lucky pass on because this map seems unlikely to be accepted as it's still a GOP lean and there's a special master creating an independent map. This also happened in California where legislators vetoed I.R. that would gain net Dem seats but significantly alter the seats of incumbents.