• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
No reason to think he's tweeting about Flash is there?

Man, their comedy/directing style seems like such a perfect fit for Ezra's Flash

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to fault Johns on JL because they brought him in so late into the game. He's trying to work on a movie when they ignored him before that.

Did he have a tangible effect on JL? Yes. Is he to blame for the current state, no.

Right, but if your direct problem is say Whedon. Then, um... Johns is the reason he's there.

Again, *I* don't have a problem with Geoff Johns. But he is one of those "executives" responsible for what Justice League is.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I thought he and Lord were booted off Solo? A return to WB seems the logical step for them, and DCEU is currently bringing some great talent on board.

I remember reading that after they got booted from Solo, there was a meeting between them and WB which lead to rumours that they were possible directors for a DC film (I.e The Flash)

Then they signed on to direct Artemis at Fox (film based on the new Andy Weir novel)

Although who knows what's happening at Fox now with this Disney takeover

a916

Oct 25, 2017
According to El Mayimbe, WB isn't announcing anything new until after the merger as new movies would increase the debt that AT&T inherits.

At that point you might as well hard reboot... I don't know the murky details... like you can work on something but not announce it? Or you can't even put any money into something because it'll increase debt.

... Is WB supposed to stop functioning? lol

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Here's some actual news

http://deadline.com/2017/12/it-jack-dylan-grazer-shazam-dc-movie-1202221613/

rexfeatures_8987704z.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Following a breakout performance in New Line's box office record-breaker It, Jack Dylan Grazer has been added to the cast of the studio's DC Comic film, Shazam!. The young actor joins Zachary Levi, who was tapped for the title role, and Asher Angel, who will play Billy Batson, the teen who is able to transform into an adult superhero by uttering the phrase "Shazam."

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
You know what... Aren't they gonna have problems in the future with Billy? The kid won't stay young forever and WB isn't smart enough to release a Shazam movie within 4 years before he starts growing.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Was just about to post this. All the IT kids were great. Hope we get some more diversity with Billy's foster family though.

You know what... Aren't they gonna have problems in the future with Billy? The kid won't stay young forever and WB isn't smart enough to release a Shazam movie within 4 years before he starts growing.

I never thought of this :( if shazam is a hit I'm sure the they'll capitalise on the hype. Shazam-superman team up against black Adam I'm hoping for.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
MHWilliams I've erased that from memory. Why bring it back.

One delay and they are screwed.
Exactly. And I'm sitting here hoping Johns has the reigns but WB is just too good at meddling and not having their shit straight.

There's some great talent behind Shazam so I need Johns to put his foot down before WB decides to spice it up.

Recast or let him grow to be teenage/young man billy

Boo this man. There should be at least two movies while he still looks boyish then embrace his age. But I'm afraid that... you know... WB gonna WB.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
According to El Mayimbe, WB isn't announcing anything new until after the merger as new movies would increase the debt that AT&T inherits.
I think he's full of shit. WB is a movie studio. They're not going to stop announcing new movies because of a merger (which may not even happen now). The deal has been in the works for over a year already and that hasn't stopped them from announcing or greenlighting new movies, including a dozen DC films just at this past summer's SDCC.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
That kid isn't gonna stay young forever. Bring on young adult Billy Batson.

He can keep playing the role in his late twenties. He's 5'3 at 15. He ain't getting much bigger.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I've been holding off coming into this thread as I wanted to actually have something to say when I did. I'd like to stress that I've never been comfortable being described as an 'insider' but I do have connections and hear loads of industry chatter which I'm happy to share when I can verify that it isn't just rumour for rumours sake.

Where to begin..., Justice League. So I heard, just days after the 'other place' went up in smoke, that Justice League was "alright" from someone who had seen it. This same person said that Wonder Woman was "alright" (though I personally really liked it) so I assumed that it wasn't going to be a BvS style critical disaster. But that wasn't the problem, the problem was the perception that this film was a lightning rod for tragedy, controversy and overall PR problems. Apparently no one in the studio had known such a big film to attract so much bad news. It seemed like every day there was another problem for PR to try and out out. Ignoring the reception of BvS and Suicide Squad this film just couldn't catch a break.

The studio's box office expectations for this film were pretty modest, relatively speaking, as the hope was that it would (worldwide) at least come in around or better than Wonder Woman because of the increased interest from female audience in the character after the smash performance of Wonder Woman as the biggest film of the summer at the North American box office.

But then everything changed when, to go along with the all reshoot stories which WB just couldn't shake, Harvey-Gate broke and with it Affleck was swept up in it and then that swept up Ratner (whom Gadot had been friends with and pictured at his house having dinner parties) and then there was more Affleck scandal as to whether he knew about this stuff or not and suddenly the main female audience were being turned off this film. While this was all good for the industry with people like Harvey and Ratner being exposed Justice League was constantly in the orbit of these stories. Just to clarify Ratner never had any involvement in the WB slate beyond passive investment. The studio even used to hammer that point home to directors and producers when they came to pitch!

As if to hammer the point home when the film finally did have its premiere, neither of the two directors who worked on the film (Snyder and Whedon) made themselves available to speak owing to previous family related issues, and then arguably the two biggest stars, Gadot and Affleck, had to miss the red carpet too just in case they are asked any awkward questions. This is unheard of for a film of this size.

All in all WB were hoping that as long as, worst case scenario, Justice League opened to nine figures then that would at least insure that it would still be a 'AAA' franchise and given how few of them there are would still allow the studio to save some blushes. And then it opened under that. In short this film has under performed to a degree that even the studio wasn't expecting.

There have been rumours Kevin Tsujihara was going to named 'Executive of the Year' by a Hollywood trade before the Justice League opening but that now seems less certain even if he did steer the studio to five billion worldwide. There has even been talk that Sue Kroll (the studio's marketing guru) could be made to walk the plank for this leaving her protege, who headed the IT campaign, in charge. The studio have a habit of kicking out execs at Xmas as it's seen as the quiet time of the year when everyone's away on holiday and quieter in terms of industry news. They did it to Silverman last year.

All in all this is undoubtedly a black eye for the studio but it doesn't signal the end of the DCU by any means. Justice League did under perform and do way under what was expected but, to many, the film simply had too much baggage attached in almost every conceivable form in a way that recent Marvel films, for example, haven't and the studio knew it. When was the last time a Marvel film was mired in some PR quagmire?

So, what's next? Apparently Affleck's super agent Ari Emmanuel (inspiration for Ari in Entourage no less) has been working closely with WB's new head of development/production (or head of "Content" as his official title goes) Toby Emmerich to help form the studio's slate and likely stick his clients in plum studio projects (the story behind WB boarding Six Billion Man is nuts, I was surprised to see it mentioned in the THR story) which suggests that Affleck probably isn't done at Warners, but he is likely done as Batman. Especially after Justice League there's a feeling that a "new broom sweeps clean" and someone like Gyllenhall (whom the studio apparently originally wanted to play Batman in George Miller's Justice League many moons ago) could freshen the whole DCU up working with a director like Matt Reeves. Affleck could still have a great relationship with the studio in a less pressured role doing fare like Argo and starring in the Accountant sequel for example.

Whedon is still writing Batgirl but as far as him actually directing that film is now (according to someone) "unthinkable" given how JL has performed how he was subject to his own scandal of sorts. The thought is that the studio just doesn't want that headache again though Whedon could still have a creative role in the DCU moving forward. I wouldn't be surprised if WB seeks a female director for Batgirl now given WW''s success.

Wonder Woman 2 and Shazam are definitely going ahead as is Suicide Squad 2 (also for 2019 probably), which apparently still prints money for the studio as a property. But beyond that? I suspect that Black Adam will also go regardless given how the studio likes Dwayne Johnson and how relentlessly he pushes his projects on social media, they could do with arguably the world's biggest film star pushing their brand. I also said, months ago, in the 'other place' that I heard Harley Quinn was getting her own solo film. Warners want to pivot Quinn away from the Joker's girlfriend to a character in her own right a'la Wonder Woman. Apparently Robbie is totally behind this and is eager to play the character in a slate of films..., but what happens if she wins some big awards for I, Tonya? Who knows.

I can imagine WB pushing ahead with Flash Point (how it's written now I believe) but then again I can also see them pumping the brakes a little to make sure that the general audience are into this film version of The Flash given how Justice League may have muddied the waters a little. Also, reports that this film will extensively feature Wonder Woman and Aquaman are apparently a little wide of the mark at time of going to press. It's possible that could change and they make it a pseudo Justice League sequel.

Also, I heard that Zack Snyder was instrumental in how Wonder Woman came together, both in development and actual production, even more than has been reported. While Snyder has arguably come off worse than anyone in the BvS and Justice League fall out I still think that he's a really talented, visual director and he can 'clear his name', so to speak, with a great film that really engages and critics alike. Just maybe no more superheroes.

Ummm, I think that's it. Nothing that sensational, I'm afraid. I heard that Ready Player One is really good with some saying it could end up in the 'pantheon' of all time Spielberg blockbusters with ET, Jurassic Park and the first three Indy films.

As always, we shall see.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I've been holding off coming into this thread as I wanted to actually have something to say when I did. I'd like to stress that I've never been comfortable being described as an 'insider' but I do have connections and hear loads of industry chatter which I'm happy to share when I can verify that it isn't just rumour for rumours sake.

Where to begin..., Justice League. So I heard, just days after the 'other place' went up in smoke, that Justice League was "alright" from someone who had seen it. This same person said that Wonder Woman was "alright" (though I personally really liked it) so I assumed that it wasn't going to be a BvS style critical disaster. But that wasn't the problem, the problem was the perception that this film was a lightning rod for tragedy, controversy and overall PR problems. Apparently no one in the studio had known such a big film to attract so much bad news. It seemed like every day there was another problem for PR to try and out out. Ignoring the reception of BvS and Suicide Squad this film just couldn't catch a break.

The studio's box office expectations for this film were pretty modest, relatively speaking, as the hope was that it would (worldwide) at least come in around or better than Wonder Woman because of the increased interest from female audience in the character after the smash performance of Wonder Woman as the biggest film of the summer at the North American box office.

But then everything changed when, to go along with the all reshoot stories which WB just couldn't shake, Harvey-Gate broke and with it Affleck was swept up in it and then that swept up Ratner (whom Gadot had been friends with and pictured at his house having dinner parties) and then there was more Affleck scandal as to whether he knew about this stuff or not and suddenly the main female audience were being turned off this film. While this was all good for the industry with people like Harvey and Ratner being exposed Justice League was constantly in the orbit of these stories. Just to clarify Ratner never had any involvement in the WB slate beyond passive investment. The studio even used to hammer that point home to directors and producers when they came to pitch!

As if to hammer the point home when the film finally did have its premiere, neither of the two directors who worked on the film (Snyder and Whedon) made themselves available to speak owing to previous family related issues, and then arguably the two biggest stars, Gadot and Affleck, had to miss the red carpet too just in case they are asked any awkward questions. This is unheard of for a film of this size.

All in all WB were hoping that as long as, worst case scenario, Justice League opened to nine figures then that would at least insure that it would still be a 'AAA' franchise and given how few of them there are would still allow the studio to save some blushes. And then it opened under that. In short this film has under performed to a degree that even the studio wasn't expecting.

There have been rumours Kevin Tsujihara was going to named 'Executive of the Year' by a Hollywood trade before the Justice League opening but that now seems less certain even if he did steer the studio to five billion worldwide. There has even been talk that Sue Kroll (the studio's marketing guru) could be made to walk the plank for this leaving her protege, who headed the IT campaign, in charge. The studio have a habit of kicking out execs at Xmas as it's seen as the quiet time of the year when everyone's away on holiday and quieter in terms of industry news. They did it to Silverman last year.

All in all this is undoubtedly a black eye for the studio but it doesn't signal the end of the DCU by any means. Justice League did under perform and do way under what was expected but, to many, the film simply had too much baggage attached in almost every conceivable form in a way that recent Marvel films, for example, haven't and the studio knew it. When was the last time a Marvel film was mired in some PR quagmire?

So, what's next? Apparently Affleck's super agent Ari Emmanuel (inspiration for Ari in Entourage no less) has been working closely with WB's new head of development/production (or head of "Content" as his official title goes) Toby Emmerich to help form the studio's slate and likely stick his clients in plum studio projects (the story behind WB boarding Six Billion Man is nuts, I was surprised to see it mentioned in the THR story) which suggests that Affleck probably isn't done at Warners, but he is likely done as Batman. Especially after Justice League there's a feeling that a "new broom sweeps clean" and someone like Gyllenhall (whom the studio apparently originally wanted to play Batman in George Miller's Justice League many moons ago) could freshen the whole DCU up working with a director like Matt Reeves. Affleck could still have a great relationship with the studio in a less pressured role doing fare like Argo and starring in the Accountant sequel for example.

Whedon is still writing Batgirl but as far as him actually directing that film is now (according to someone) "unthinkable" given how JL has performed how he was subject to his own scandal of sorts. The thought is that the studio just doesn't want that headache again though Whedon could still have a creative role in the DCU moving forward. I wouldn't be surprised if WB seeks a female director for Batgirl now given WW''s success.

Wonder Woman 2 and Shazam are definitely going ahead as is Suicide Squad 2 (also for 2019 probably), which apparently still prints money for the studio as a property. But beyond that? I suspect that Black Adam will also go regardless given how the studio likes Dwayne Johnson and how relentlessly he pushes his projects on social media, they could do with arguably the world's biggest film star pushing their brand. I also said, months ago, in the 'other place' that I heard Harley Quinn was getting her own solo film. Warners want to pivot Quinn away from the Joker's girlfriend to a character in her own right a'la Wonder Woman. Apparently Robbie is totally behind this and is eager to play the character in a slate of films..., but what happens if she wins some big awards for I, Tonya? Who knows.

I can imagine WB pushing ahead with Flash Point (how it's written now I believe) but then again I can also see them pumping the brakes a little to make sure that the general audience are into this film version of The Flash given how Justice League may have muddied the waters a little. Also, reports that this film will extensively feature Wonder Woman and Aquaman are apparently a little wide of the mark at time of going to press. It's possible that could change and they make it a pseudo Justice League sequel.

Also, I heard that Zack Snyder was instrumental in how Wonder Woman came together, both in development and actual production, even more than has been reported. While Snyder has arguably come off worse than anyone in the BvS and Justice League fall out I still think that he's a really talented, visual director and he can 'clear his name', so to speak, with a great film that really engages and critics alike. Just maybe no more superheroes.

Ummm, I think that's it. Nothing that sensational, I'm afraid. I heard that Ready Player One is really good with some saying it could end up in the 'pantheon' of all time Spielberg blockbusters with ET, Jurassic Park and the first three Indy films.

As always, we shall see.
This was great Busty, thanks.

When the latest you'll think we'll get the usual "director in talks" for? Months?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

rejoice.png
Holding you personally responsible if he's still directing.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Busty

Have you heard anything on aquaman.

I'm glad they're moving Harley away from joker. The Harley obsessed Joker from SS doesn't fit as a compelling villain for Batman imho.

I also imagine many will take exception to giving Snyder any credit at all for Wonder Woman.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Busty.

I knew they'd continue the DCEU. They don't need to reboot it. Just make good movies and keep the WB execs out of the editing room (besides Johns).

Status
Not open for further replies.