• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be an insane idea and something that will never happen... Task Force X meets up with the BoP during the BoP movie and basically steals Harley back to their team to help complete a mission that picks up right when SS2 starts up. It'd be an insane crossover which would totally fit the comic-book feel of this whole thing, but would probably end up being a mess movie-wise.

I could see it working out if they did it in the same way as the mid-credits scene in Thor: Ragnarok. No need to really have Task Force X appear in a major role throughout BoP, but have them cameo in the mid-credits scene by appearing the heck outta nowhere and just steal Harley away and dive straight in SS2. Could be a hilarious cliffhanger.

This is a great idea!

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the Legion of Doom tease and think it'd be neat if we get some of those as post credits. Say, Black Manta gets recruited in Aquaman's and Cheetah in WW2.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Can't be more disappointed to know that BoP and SS2 are whats on the horizon after Shazam. Where the fuck is The Batman

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope WB carries on with the Legion of Doom approach. A super villain team is a neat concept that would differentiate them from the MCU's final boss approach.

If we hear nothing about The Batman this comic-con, as if we STILL don't know who's playing the character, I'm thinking 2021 is more likely

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
If we hear nothing about The Batman this comic-con, as if we STILL don't know who's playing the character, I'm thinking 2021 is more likely

I completely agree. I've just seen a fair chunk of people thinking that 2019 was still a possibility for The Batman online (not necessarily here though), which is odd because one of the first things I thought after Affleck stepped down from the directors chair and Reeves replaced him was that we wouldn't see the film until 2020 at the absolute earliest.

Supposedly Warner Bros and Reeves finally all got on the same page a few weeks back and decided on whether Affleck stays or leaves and were now trying to decide on how best to announce everything. We just have no clue what that all is yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Man if Ben is back dude better have a Bat Tattoo on his chest at SDCC

At this point, I kind of don't want Ben to come back. He was great in BvS, but not so incredible that it's worth dealing with the drama. He'd need to really earn back that trust for me.

Specific Neal Adams call out. Basically a blue and grey batsuit confirmation.

He also called out Kane/Finger- OG 1930s Batsuit confirmed.

Detective_Comics_27-1.jpg

Also, Reeves just mentioned this on Twitter...

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, a MoS and BvS thread in the same day... I think those movies are better/more important than people want to admit.
People keep saying they'll be forgotten just to be brought up the next week. Whether you view them as good or bad, they create discussion and will likely have a longer life than something everyone just thought was cool or fun.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I bet this dual script idea featuring different BOP casts all centres around Black Canary and whether they want to push Green Arrow in the next couple of years or not. It might also be true of Catwoman. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Gotham City Sirens simply turns into a Harley Quinn solo, film or it's potential sequel, and everything else is horse trading trying to figure out when to introduce what characters.

Also, regarding the rumour of Highwayman adaptation at WB/New Line, years and years ago (before Man Of Steel) I got a look at Warners internal slate and while it didn't feature any DC superhero projects at that time it had a few Vertigo projects. They included Northlanders, Planetary and Highwaymen so they are definitely looking at it as a film and have been for a while. What else was on the slate at that time and said to be a priority? An adaptation of 'War That Time Forgot' (the WW2 soldiers versus dinosaurs title) and given the potential Elseworlds label it might still be in the offing.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Weren't you talking bout Black Canary moreso than Barbara

Ah. No, I meant that the issue of which character they wanted to put in the film alongside Batgirl and Harley likely revolved around whether they wanted to introduce Black Canary rather than whether they should include Huntress or not. BC, with her association with Green Arrow, would be a bigger player in the DCU moving forward than Huntress would.

It's worth noting that Hollywood Reporter ran a story that WB were looking to cast an actress to play Black Canary after Justice League finished filming. Many assumed that it was for a cameo in that film but who knows at this point.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Who said that they will be forgotten? People still remember batman forever.

There's no way they'll be forgotten. Unlike Superman Returns - which I'd say largely has been - they contain some of the most recognizable characters in pop culture, and formed a trilogy of movies. The question is whether or not they'll be tied to any movies going forward. That's still up in the air, right?

I think the Snyderverse will be remembered like the Star Wars prequels in the future. BvS will get the Phantom Menace mockery, MoS will get the Attack of the Clones apathy, and Justice League will get the controversy of Revenge of the Sith, because both those films have the strongest ties to the other films in the universe.

Actually, that's what I hope will happen. I don't want the baby to be thrown out with the bathwater when it comes to what's already been established in the DCEU. The Snyder trilogy can be its own distinct thing, but they don't need to hit the reset button on the universe in order to evolve. I hope they build on what they already have in terms of a Justice League arc. I really want to see the Darkseid, Legion of Doom, and "room for more" Justice League storylines continue.

WB should make the next JL movie a sequel disguised as a soft reboot; and call it Justice League Unlimited.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't be more disappointed to know that BoP and SS2 are whats on the horizon after Shazam. Where the fuck is The Batman

I know the talent involved with Batman is good and there's a lot of antecipation for it, but since 2005 we've had a batman trilogy, and three movies featuring batman with other heroes, and in two of these he had the most screentime.

I can live without a Batman centric media for a couple of more years, and I'm down for WB exploring other characters besides the big three

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
But did we have Batman, the world's greatest detective, peak human athlete and martial arts supreme black belt?

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love Batman, I mean my avatar shows that

But if WB/DC is able to establish other chars w/o him, more power to em. We'll get more Batman, even if the DCEU implodes.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Pretty much, Batman isn't going anywhere and while I know we want and need more of it. I will rather wait to get the best possible outcome and movie then rush Matt and get half assed Ben who expects WB to cut the film to shreds as they have done twice before. But if Matt takes his time, makes it perfect, pitches to Ben who in turn gets excited like he got excited for BVS then we got ourselves a stew going.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, Batman isn't going anywhere and while I know we want and need more of it. I will rather wait to get the best possible outcome and movie then rush Matt and get half assed Ben who expects WB to cut the film to shreds as they have done twice before. But if Matt takes his time, makes it perfect, pitches to Ben who in turn gets excited like he got excited for BVS then we got ourselves a stew going.

Or better yet, Matt just gets someone else to play Batman and let Ben go. I just think keeping Ben around is a bad idea at this point, especially considering the fact that Matt has plans for a full trilogy and Ben's already on record as looking for "cool ways to segue out of the role." That idea of having Ben around for one film with Matt just doesn't sit well with me.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
If The Batman doesn't come out until 2021, the wait between The Dark Knight Rises and The Batman will have been longer than Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really fair to blame Ben for his reluctance to reprise his role.

Blame WB. They pulled the guy out of rehab to embarrass himself in JL reshoots. I can't imagine he's on good terms with the executives, but maybe the new team lead by Reeves can ignite his passion again.

And age isn't a factor, especially not in Hollywood.

Stallone is still staying in shape, and he's SEVENTY ONE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really fair to blame Ben for his reluctance to reprise his role.

Blame WB. They pulled the guy out of rehab to embarrass himself in JL reshoots. I can't imagine he's on good terms with the executives, but maybe the new team lead by Reeves can ignite his passion again.

And age isn't a factor, especially not in Hollywood.

Stallone is still staying in shape, and he's SEVENTY ONE

I mean, I sympathize with Ben. I get it. I just think it's frustrating and concerning to see someone that feels unreliable in the role, especially when you compare him to other people in his own circle. Henry's been dealing with the DCEU backlash for considerably longer than Ben and he's never stopped being passionate about the role and knows how to have a laugh about it too (i.e. the mustache). Hell, just look at how Hugh Jackman hung in there between X-Men 3, Wolverine Origins until he finally started getting a rebound with The Wolverine in 2013.

The other thing is that Ben's been on record about not liking working out iirc. Staying in shape, especially as you get older, is harder and harder to do. Not everyone is Stallone. Can Ben do it? Sure, but again- a lot of that comes down to his own personal drive and he's shown himself to be someone that looks at the exit door pretty quickly after things start turning south. That doesn't instill confidence in me that Ben would be able to keep up the drive long term.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I just think it's in everybody's interest if Ben stepped down and refocused on directing. I get it if it's an ego/pride thing of wanting to step down on a high note, but I don't know how practical that is. And it's not like Jackman with well over a decade in the Logan role.

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's in everybody's interest if Ben stepped down and refocused on directing. I get it if it's an ego/pride thing of wanting to step down on a high note, but I don't know how practical that is. And it's not like Jackman with well over a decade in the Logan role.

Completely agreed. Seeing as how Reeves has made it rather clear that he wants to do three Batman movies and not just one, I don't think Ben's idea of going out on a high note is particularly practical, assuming that he did so in a Batman solo film.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ben can't handle the stress of a flailing mega-franchise like Batman. Of course, working with Reeves could always be the comeback he needs. Maybe he would be less stressed if the movies were received more favorably. It's hard to predict though, and rather than run the risk of burning out further and bailing later, he should probably just bail now.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I sympathize with Ben. I get it. I just think it's frustrating and concerning to see someone that feels unreliable in the role, especially when you compare him to other people in his own circle. Henry's been dealing with the DCEU backlash for considerably longer than Ben and he's never stopped being passionate about the role and knows how to have a laugh about it too (i.e. the mustache). Hell, just look at how Hugh Jackman hung in there between X-Men 3, Wolverine Origins until he finally started getting a rebound with The Wolverine in 2013.

The other thing is that Ben's been on record about not liking working out iirc. Staying in shape, especially as you get older, is harder and harder to do. Not everyone is Stallone. Can Ben do it? Sure, but again- a lot of that comes down to his own personal drive and he's shown himself to be someone that looks at the exit door pretty quickly after things start turning south. That doesn't instill confidence in me that Ben would be able to keep up the drive long term.
Well I think Henry is a bit different. The guy is younger, more active on social media, and really didt't have much of a career prior to the DCEU anyway, so i think it's easier for him to laugh it off

Ben, on the other hand, had an Oscar. He was finally being taken seriously in Hollywood.
He had a much larger fall from grace than Henry because of how much he accomplished. Then he was the face of the biggest AAA studio embarrassment in years (JL). I can absolutely understand why Ben would want to wash of his hands the DCEU disaster.

I imagine, if BvS had hit big, he'd have a lot more passion in the role, but I don't think it's fair to expect him to be excited for the franchise's future when he's been dragged through the mud so hard.

Jacked Man is a different case as well. X-men 3 and Wolverine Origins are both awful, but they made money and weren't really failures from a financial point of view like JL was. Huge didn't really lose anything like Ben did.

I do hope Reeves can get him back on board. His performance in BvS is still among the best done for the character, and there isn't another actor that can match his presence in the suit.

Jake G is the man, but he isn't a tank like Ben is.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caville has also made it clear that he's in it in large part for the money. Dude will probably remain happy as long as he gets paid.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think Affleck is worth the drama. I don't care how beastly his body got in BvS. I don't need a tank, I need a damn good actor and one who's passionate about the role. I want stability and commitment.

I'm still rooting for Jake Gyllenhaal myself, but I'd also still love to see Oscar Isaac in the role. I adore the idea of Detective!Batman, not Tank!Batman.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing Burton was able to do that hasn't been replicated since is make Batman and Bruce Wayne mysterious. There's that scene in Batman '89 where Bruce is taking Vicki Vale back to the batcave in for the first time and she's just staring at him in the car, trying to figure him out before his eyes lock with hers and she looks away scared. It's such a great moment showcasing the bizarre, disturbing nature of a character like Batman. I'd love for some of that mystique to come back to the character.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing Burton was able to do that hasn't been replicated since is make Batman and Bruce Wayne mysterious. There's that scene in Batman '89 where Bruce is taking Vicki Vale back to the batcave in for the first time and she's just staring at him in the car, trying to figure him out before his eyes lock with hers and she looks away scared. It's such a great moment showcasing the bizarre, disturbing nature of a character like Batman. I'd love for some of that mystique to come back to the character.

Exactly!

I really want that kind of energy and nuance that Keaton brought to the role of Batman/Bruce in the DCEU. As much as I like what Affleck had to offer in BvS, I still don't think he's on par with what Keaton brought to the table in his films with Burton.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a trilogy so long as Matt Reeves stays onboard. The man is making progress on The Batman, regardless of the memes here. Plus Reeves has been pretty consistent in what he says he wants to accomplish with Batman.
And other films have made progress and been dumped when Warner Bros decided they want something else. Reeves making progress means nothing if Warner Bros wants to change gears or ultimately don't like his take.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a trilogy so long as Matt Reeves stays onboard. The man is making progress on The Batman, regardless of the memes here. Plus Reeves has been pretty consistent in what he says he wants to accomplish with Batman.
Batman isn't Planet of the Apes. WB expects Batman to make a lot of money. Movie could be good but if it doesn't bring in the box office money, anything can happen considering how volatile WB has been. Though Walter Hamada seems like a rational person who isn't prone to flipflop by the slightest backlash. We'll see.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Reeves already backed out once. Him returning to the project is a sign WB have given complete control.

Yes, Batman is their biggest brand, but right now his status got hurt bad by the failure of JL. I think WB would rather have a well received film at this point.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
If Ben doesn't stay its gotta be Armie Hammer or Jon Hamm. Isaac is a fantastic actor, arguably better than all 3, but he has a weenie voice.

I'm stuck to the idea of Don Draper style Bruce after what we got in BvS. Gotta sound hella masculine

My favorite is still Bale tho, but that's because Nolan and Bale leaned really hard into the whole ethos of Bruce being about "the will to act". Plus hes a super dope actor too

Status
Not open for further replies.