• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

DCEU Era |OT2| Aquaman's Outrageous Adventure!

Nov 15, 2017
Man of Steel was dragged through the coals so damn much that Marvel went out of there way in Age of Ultron to point out multiple times - almost to the point of hilarity - that the Avengers were actually saving civilians instead of just destroying another city while crackin' wise about it.
Bruh that was one of the many things that irritated me in that movie. I was in the theater like, "My guy, they're the Avengers. I know they save people. Joss pls."

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Won't somebody think of the regular citizens caught in the crossfire

Dumbest talking point about MoS by far, but at least it created that killer intro for BvS

Nov 15, 2017
In retrospect, we should have known the internet was about to get really fucking weird about these movies when we had people calculating death tolls for the Metropolis fight and creating flash games that scored you on how many people you killed.

Like....what the fuck? Was it that serious?

Oct 25, 2017
www.usgamer.net
DCEU is in bad shape, we've heard nothing concrete about an over plan and they just keeping jumping on bandwagons.
The trick is to have good movies first.

You can back stop the connectivity if you need to, like the Arrowverse. Aquaman is good. WW84 will likely be good. I think Shazam might be good. That's a foundation you build upon.

Does the sheer amount of random DC projects feel a bit scattershot? Yes. But despite that, Joker is looking good, Birds of Prey has a solid production crew and cast, and Suicide Squad 2 just picked up Gunn.

WB is starting to get the DCEU to a good spot. I wish there was more of a concrete plan, but at the very least they're trying to make good movies.

Dec 6, 2017
Marvel’s dumb success ruined these movies for a long time. MoS has aged far better than any of the Marvel films. How I wish I lived in the universe where MoS was universally loved.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more optimistic about DC than I am now. Wonder Woman is probably already one of my favorite CBM movies. Aquaman looks like a ton of fun, and I've never read any of his comic books. I'm getting a Joker film starring Joaquin Phoenix who did such a good job on You Were Never Really Here this year. I totally liked the Shazam comic I've read and is silently screaming about the good-feel vibes and how much I recognize in the trailer. And an R rated Harley Quinn movie with a promising cast and competent choreographers. I'm super giddy about it all. I can understand the frustration though since there's a long time between projects and uncertainty with some projects. Also, that Flash solo is a long time coming but I finally feel like Warner knows what they're doing. It feels like to me that they are focusing in on creating a good movie at a time that can stand on its own first and foremost, instead of building a universe just to have one. The universe building will find its rooting through strong solo projects.

Oct 25, 2017
Had Snyder kept on making his lighter-hearted Justice League as he had originally planned and not had it hijacked to be something more akin to a Marvel movie in terms of humor we wouldn't be in this mess.

Oct 26, 2017
Even as someone who ain't all that hot on Man of Steel, the criticisms around it got real dumb. Like, Clark stops a jackass from sexually harassing the bartender. Said jackass picks a fight with Clark, getting physical. Clark walks away and in his frustration smashes the jackass' truck... response from folks online is "but he shouldn't have ruined the truck driver's livelihood!"

...huh?

Anyway that Smallville fight was dope. Still one of the best displays of superpowers on screen.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wanted to reply earlier, but was on the street.

I said, I believe after BvS, that we would never really see a road map for DC movies again, and that seems truer by the day. If you don't have a road map, people can't say changed plans and stuff like that.

I get the frustration people have with not knowing the next 10 movies in production and not having directors, writers and cast attached to them all.

But it seems like the veil of Hollywood movie making has been ripped off, and no one prepared folks for that knowledge. Like there were like half a dozen Batman projects between Batman and Robin and Batman Begins, but the internet wasn't in such a big huff with all the stuff back then. Hell Justice League Mortals is more recent, and even that didn't have the spotlight shun on it the way announcements are now. Deadline mentions in PASSING that WB is talking about a Zatanna movie, and now that's making headlines on websites. So if it doesn't follow through, the narrative continues that WB doesn't know what they are doing.

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to reply earlier, but was on the street.

I said, I believe after BvS, that we would never really see a road map for DC movies again, and that seems truer by the day. If you don't have a road map, people can't say changed plans and stuff like that.

I get the frustration people have with not knowing the next 10 movies in production and not having directors, writers and cast attached to them all.

But it seems like the veil of Hollywood movie making has been ripped off, and no one prepared folks for that knowledge. Like there were like half a dozen Batman projects between Batman and Robin and Batman Begins, but the internet wasn't in such a big huff with all the stuff back then. Hell Justice League Mortals is more recent, and even that didn't have the spotlight shun on it the way announcements are now. Deadline mentions in PASSING that WB is talking about a Zatanna movie, and now that's making headlines on websites. So if it doesn't follow through, the narrative continues that WB doesn't know what they are doing.
Yep. It's all very standard Hollywood, now with a magnifying glass on everything to get the clicks. And again, Marvel Studios gets how to play that game by being super secretive and controlling the message. That's unique among Disney studios, too. Star Wars catches some of the same flack for projects announced and "cancelled."

At the end of the day I don't think that matters much once the movies are out and can speak for themselves, but in the lead up you can see how people will overreact or try to spin narratives and whatnot.

Dec 6, 2017
Well said Penguin. It’s why I don’t get up on anything that’s reported. In my mind I know that just cuz some names are attached doesn’t mean a movie is going to get made. Planning everything out is probably just as complicated as making the movie itself.

Oct 26, 2017
France
Had Snyder kept on making his lighter-hearted Justice League as he had originally planned and not had it hijacked to be something more akin to a Marvel movie in terms of humor we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'm not so sure that Snyder had planned a "lighter hearted" sequel... BvS was poorly received, and the production of JL was already started... WB is suddenly doubting the wonder boy, realizes he's doing the same shit again... Too late to pull the plug, WB panics and call Joss

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You know the one thing a paranoid, older Bruce like Affleck could have offered me... is a bigger potential for Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom adaption.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know If it would've mattered much at that point...Even if Snyder single handedly tried to "course correct" everything by himself, I think the damage was already done after BVS was out.

We would have a better movie, with a clear cut vision, at least. But probably not the vision most people wanted.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not a Snyder Cut person, but since this scene description is coming from a star figured I'd share.

It starts around 1:10 in the video

Oct 26, 2017
Not a Snyder Cut person, but since this scene description is coming from a star figured I'd share.

It starts around 1:10 in the video

As I understand it there are levels to the whole Snyder Cut thing and what Momoa says there isn't against the reasonable take of: there is an assembled version Zack put together, with unfinished effects, and it makes zero business sense to release it at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it there are levels to the whole Snyder Cut thing and what Momoa says there isn't against the reasonable take of: there is an assembled version Zack put together, with unfinished effects, and it makes zero business sense to release it at this point.
So you're telling me there's a chance?

Oct 26, 2017
So you're telling me there's a chance?
Hey, it only took 26 years for Richard Donner to release his version of Superman 2 on DVD, cobbling unfinished footage and all.

So if the stars align, in 25 years someone will make a sequel to the original, unseen version of Justice League, and then WB can ask Zack to come back and do the same.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The trick is to have good movies first.

You can back stop the connectivity if you need to, like the Arrowverse. Aquaman is good. WW84 will likely be good. I think Shazam might be good. That's a foundation you build upon.

Does the sheer amount of random DC projects feel a bit scattershot? Yes. But despite that, Joker is looking good, Birds of Prey has a solid production crew and cast, and Suicide Squad 2 just picked up Gunn.

WB is starting to get the DCEU to a good spot. I wish there was more of a concrete plan, but at the very least they're trying to make good movies.
Sure but they're far removed from the connective living breathing world that the MCU has been able to do. It's frustrating to watch them squander 2 of their 3 biggest icons.

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel’s dumb success ruined these movies for a long time. MoS has aged far better than any of the Marvel films. How I wish I lived in the universe where MoS was universally loved.
Yup. Their influence is now seen in most of these movies.

It's all uniform now. Gotta be fun... Gotta have gags... Don't challenge anything, take risks, or offend anyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Their influence is now seen in most of these movies.

It's all uniform now. Gotta be fun... Gotta have gags... Don't challenge anything, take risks, or offend anyone.
Let’s wait and see if that’s the case. BoP doesn’t look that way at all. And neither does Aquaman from what I hear.

I think WB May have learned that DC offers a wide variety of tones and varying degrees of fun, dark, grit, and color. There’s no one size fits all for dc.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Brief commercial, but it seems like you can see Aquaman riding a fish/seahorse
And wonder if trying to make that Superfriends gif, cool