• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I guess after the Snyderverse, Aquaman's review thread is such a dud.

Like sitting at 75... and even the savage reviews have gained little traction. It sits in a territory where no one can really argue over it. ALAS

Not the megahit diehards wanted and not the disaster naysayers hoped for. Even despite some trying to bring any negative to light there just isn't anything to talk about. It looks to be an average, but fun movie. And that's what people want.

Gotta stop worrying about top critic scores. If the movie is fun that works wonders for people. Why do you think the Transformers movies despite everyone saying they are bad, kept getting made and making money? You general audience thought they were dumb fun popcorn flicks. If the movie can inspire WOM that it's fun and a decent movie to see this holiday it could be big for this.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I'm saying. Flashpoint became a terrible idea for a film the moment Wonder Woman was well received and it's only about to become moreso once Aquaman hits. Their best bet would be to Age of Ultron it and have the movie be NOTHING like the comic, but Marvel only got away with that because no one liked or cared about the Age of Ultron comic event. That's not really the case with Flashpoint.

Potential storylines for a big DCEU crossover down the line if they take CoIE off the table for the films (which they wont, but humor me)

Infinite Crisis (might be in name only since it kind of relies on doing CoIE first)
Blackest Night
Final Crisis (if New Gods takes off, I'd bet money this is going to happen)
Our Worlds at War
Drowned Earth (if they want something Aquaman focused)
Forever Evil
Kingdom Come (might be in name only if they don't want to do it as an Elseworlds or age up the characters)
Trinity War
Future's End (in name only because holy shit did everyone hate Future's End)
Dark Nights
The Witching Hour (Wasn't a big crossover, but probably their best bet if they want to do something Wonder Woman focused)
The current run on Justice League which features the JL vs The Legion of Doom
A big problem with a lot of DC events is that they aren't stand-alone, they heavily rely on continuity. Infinite and Final Crisis I can't ever see getting adapted to film. Blackest Night requires a Sinestro Corps War movie at least. Our Worlds at War, Drowned Earth, and The Witching Hour would be the best bet. Also we aren't going to get a JL movie without Batman at least, and maybe Superman too, so all of these are far off.

I love Forever Evil but that's a Lex Luthor story, and Jesse Eisenberg sucks ass as Lex. They'd need to recast and right now they aren't going to touch the Superman mythos at all. Same reason we won't get Legion of Doom.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Still think Jesse's Lex has tons of potential. His moments where he drops the facade in BvS and JL are good. But they'll likely be done with him as well.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
A big problem with a lot of DC events is that they aren't stand-alone, they heavily rely on continuity. Infinite and Final Crisis I can't ever see getting adapted to film. Blackest Night requires a Sinestro Corps War movie at least. Our Worlds at War, Drowned Earth, and The Witching Hour would be the best bet. Also we aren't going to get a JL movie without Batman at least, and maybe Superman too, so all of these are far off.

I love Forever Evil but that's a Lex Luthor story, and Jesse Eisenberg sucks ass as Lex. They'd need to recast and right now they aren't going to touch the Superman mythos at all. Same reason we won't get Legion of Doom.
Forever Evil would definitely be a looooooooooooong ways off, but if people take to the new Lex Luthor whenever we meet him, there's real potential there.

If Ava's New Gods is a hit, I can't see why they wouldn't do Final Crisis at some point. Of the Crisis "trilogy," it's the one that's the least reliant on the other two. They would need to trim a lot of the fat, though. Basically maintain the central idea - "What happens when evil wins and Darkseid claims Earth in a mere moment?" - and build from there the same way Infinity War takes the basic premise of Infinity Gaunlet but does its own thing with it.

The Sinestro Corps War could be kept to the Green Lantern movies whenever that starts. I know the Justice League were in the original event, but SinCorp was much more a Green Lantern story whereas Blackest Night felt more all encompassing. Let the Green Lantern movies do the heavy lifting of the setup and the Justice League films can be the payoff. Or even Civil War it and have a Green Lantern movie that's really a JL movie.

All that said, I do agree that either The Witching Hour or Drowned Earth should be their first choices if they want a Justice League movie sooner as opposed to later. Again, looking at Civil War, both stories could serve as sequels in their respective series. Basically being a Justice League movie in everything but name. Could be a way to reintroduce the team if WB feels just doing another JL movie would be too risky.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be some time before we even get to that point, since my guess is they'll see success coming from different directions.

Definitely Happening
Aquaman
Shazam
Joker (Not a Universe Film)
Wonder Woman 84
Birds of Prey
The Batman
Suicide Squad 2

Officially Announced
The Flash
Green Lanterns
Batgirl

Reported
Supergirl
New Gods
Blackhawks
Blue Beetle
Plastic Man
Harley Quinn vs The Joker
Black Adam
Nightwing

Some of these are way out—Wonder Woman 84 and Birds of Prey are 2020—and I'd say they'll probably wait for The Batman, Flash, Green Lanterns, and maybe Supergirl before moving forward with a team-up.

Given that, I think they'll stick with something in one universe first. Drowned Earth is good, as it's Aquaman-focused with a bit of WW love. Trinity War, Justice League vs Suicide Squad, Our Worlds at War, No Justice, and War of the Gods are all solid places to start.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, aggregate scores are not for me. I look at critics that I tend to enjoy and agree with and go from there. And all my favorite critics love it so I know I'm in for a treat.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I guess after the Snyderverse, Aquaman's review thread is such a dud.

Like sitting at 75... and even the savage reviews have gained little traction. It sits in a territory where no one can really argue over it. ALAS
Haven't kept up with the DC drama, but isn't it good that people's hate boner for the universe has mostly disappeared? I grew sick of the bs pretty early on.

Anyways, glad to see Aquaman came out looking solid.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, aggregate scores are not for me. I look at critics that I tend to enjoy and agree with and go from there. And all my favorite critics love it so I know I'm in for a treat.
This is where I'm at. The reviewers I check for praised the visuals and story.

I will say some negative reviews sounded very hyperbolic and as if the reviewer had made up their mind before the screening.

I'll paraphrase but one closed his review with "It felt like I just sat through 2 and a half hours In a digital aquarium with actors on strings pretending to swim." I mean, yes that is exactly what it is.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
This is where I'm at. The reviewers I check for praised the visuals and story.

I will say some negative reviews sounded very hyperbolic and as if the reviewer had made up their mind before the screening.

I'll paraphrase but one closed his review with "It felt like I just sat through 2 and a half hours In a digital aquarium with actors on strings pretending to swim." I mean, yes that is exactly what it is.
Thats the type of bs found in modern film criticism that has stopped me from reading. It tells you absolutely nothing and it only exist to be a blurb on Twitter. The critic equivalent of shitposting.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh. the reception is better than I thought and I think Shazam! will get better reviews. Can't wait for the next trailer of that.

Joker also has the chance of being a critics darling, but it remains to be seen because of the director.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Also worth noting this is the follow up to Justice League.

So 750 ww and a 75% rt score is great.

I'm still thinking it'll surprise people and hit 800 ww. I can't help but feel the ceiling for DC heroes is much higher than that of Marvel when it comes to box office appeal. Never brought into DC characters being less relatable or cinematic. A decent Batman movie is guaranteed to hit a billion, regardless of it being connected to Batfleck.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I won't get into reviews too much

With stuff like this, you read between the lines and it seems like it's a crowd-pleaser and nothing more which is all it needed to be. So I imagine will do really well at the box office.

But one review pull quote does irk me a bit

Take away Momoa's steady presence, and you're looking at an overstuffed mess that provides entertainment purely in an OMG-this-is-a-disaster kind of way.

I get what it's trying to say, but the notion of... remove the main character's acting and... like you can't just take away one of the key components of the movie to make a point.

"Take away the game's tight controls, and you're..." would sound silly

Oct 28, 2017
But one review pull quote does irk me a bit

I get what it's trying to say, but the notion of... remove the main character's acting and... like you can't just take away one of the key components of the movie to make a point.

"Take away the game's tight controls, and you're..." would sound silly

Just one of some of the really weird reviews that came out yesterday. Some of the most weirdest criticism I've seen given to seemingly fine superhero action romp.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The use of "Phase 1 Marvel movie" as some kind of criticism or shot is irksome because 1. the phase 1 Marvel movies are still good and 2. it's not like Marvel ever stopped making those kinds of movies. Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are Phase 2 and Phase 3 respectively and they'd fit comfortably alongside Iron Man and The First Avenger.

It's just a nothing comment.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The use of "Phase 1 Marvel movie" as some kind of criticism or shot is irksome because 1. the phase 1 Marvel movies are still good and 2. it's not like Marvel ever stopped making those kinds of movies. Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are Phase 2 and Phase 3 respectively and they'd fit comfortably alongside Iron Man and The First Avenger.

It's just a nothing comment.
I'm going to wait until I watch the movie to fully comment.

But it seems some posters made their minds up on the movie before they watched it.

And yeah it seems odd to use marvel phases as a comparison. There's no real jump in quality between phases. Each phase has movies ranging in quality.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait until I watch the movie to fully comment.

But it seems some posters made their minds up on the movie before they watched it.

And yeah it seems odd to use marvel phases as a comparison. There's no real jump in quality between phases. Each phase has movies ranging in quality.

Here's the thing. Dr. Strange is a phase one Marvel movie. Like Rei said. It could have easily fit alongside the first Iron Man movie. But he was introduced in Phase 3? And people got on just fine.

Like I said. If a movie is fun. It's fun. I will forever use Venom as an example. Reviews meant jack shit to that movie. Now I do hope Sony takes all criticisms and makes a better sequel. But if people come out having a pretty enjoyable experience that does wonders.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Here's the thing. Dr. Strange is a phase one Marvel movie. Like Rei said. It could have easily fit alongside the first Iron Man movie. But he was introduced in Phase 3? And people got on just fine.

Like I said. If a movie is fun. It's fun. I will forever use Venom as an example. Reviews meant jack shit to that movie. Now I do hope Sony takes all criticisms and makes a better sequel. But if people come out having a pretty enjoyable experience that does wonders.

I will be honest with you, the Venom sequel has me so fascinated.

Do you try to replicate what made the first one work because I don't think they were aiming for what it turned out to be. Hell, I even remember Tom Hardy complaining about all the cut footage before it was released.

Do they change gears and actually TRY to make a good movie out of it, which may take away the charm of the original.

It's such an interesting dynamic at play.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I will be honest with you, the Venom sequel has me so fascinated.

Do you try to replicate what made the first one work because I don't think they were aiming for what it turned out to be. Hell, I even remember Tom Hardy complaining about all the cut footage before it was released.

Do they change gears and actually TRY to make a good movie out of it, which may take away the charm of the original.

It's such an interesting dynamic at play.

I can tell you right now what they need to focus on is the Venom/Eddie relationship. That was the best part and definitely the most crowd pleasing. venom calling Eddie a pussy got huge laughs. I'll say it again, animated characters with a bit of wit or charm are box office gold. It's why I always scoff when people try to say GotG was a risk because of a talking tree and raccoon.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Reviews mean jack shit until the studio panicks.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Saw Fishman this morning. I'd put it below Wonder Woman, and I actually think it's one of Wan's weaker efforts but it's good. Hadn't looked at reviews at all so was shocked to see it completely embrace ultra mega cheese silliness. Wild stuff.

Also, there's one post-credits scene.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Saw Fishman this morning. I'd put it below Wonder Woman, and I actually think it's one of Wan's weaker efforts but it's good. Hadn't looked at reviews at all so was shocked to see it completely embrace ultra mega cheese silliness. Wild stuff.

Also, there's one post-credits scene.
Any trace of Snyder tone in it?

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Just saw aquaman, will post more impressions tomorrow but I loved it. It really is an Aquaman and Mera movie which is great as their dynamic works well. Wan did great with actions scenes and scene transitions.
Story is a better and more well paced version of the Black Panther.

Overall I think the movie found a way to be it's own thing in the sea of superhero formula movies, while not needing to go Snyder dark.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
They keep releasing litle snippets from it, and I like wan's action directing here . If there is one thing these DC movies did right is alot of ass kicking women

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh, also, the final shot is fucking stunning and any Aquaman/comic fanboy is gonna freak over it.
They keep releasing litle snippets from it, and I like wan's action directing here . If there is one thing these DC movies did right is alot of ass kicking women

I love the way he directed the action in this, although I expected nothing less. Camera's always moving.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I did see a blurb using it as a negative, but it is a bit funny how the DC movies have focused on the mothers while the Marvel movies have been about fathers.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I did see a blurb using it as a negative, but it is a bit funny how the DC movies have focused on the mothers while the Marvel movies have been about fathers.
How the hell is that a negative? Granted it hasn't been done very well, and the infamous MARTHA certainly didn't help, but I can't see why giving some attention to the mothers is a bad thing.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell is that a negative? Granted it hasn't been done very well, and the infamous MARTHA certainly didn't help, but I can't see why giving some attention to the mothers is a bad thing.

I don't remember it verbatim, but it was like "yet another mom obsessed DC hero."

That's without getting into Flash's backstory.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The final trailer theme was perfect. Wish it made its way to the film.

Individual hero themes is definitely something they should stick with. At least for the big JL members.
I think he does though?There's definitely a theme playing a couple of times during the movie when Aquaman is front and center, especially in the beginning of the movie. Though it could be just a random piece of the score

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a clip, maybe it was on Fallon, where Jason Momoa said he didn't have one. He might be wrong though, don't know. We won't know until the OST is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.