• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Until stuff actually starts filming, I just don't believe it anymore. I swear we've had this conversation two years in a row now. "In January x, y, and z should start filming" and I don't think any of those movies have anything beyond writers/directors attached to this day (Flash, Batman, and SS2).

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Birds of Prey films in Jan

How long do you think it takes to film a movie?
That's the point. WB is giving off the impression that they're hestitating on committing to future tentpole films. Aquaman was given a budget of 160m, which is much less than say Man of Steel (225m). It makes sense given Aquaman's history, but I'm not seeing anything in the pipeline that can even remotely rival Star Wars or The Avengers. And since movies take a long time to make, the lack of announcements causes concerns.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How so?
It still has directors attached and a lead. It's at least in a state unlike MoS 2...
I mean Flash has had like three directors on it lol

It just doesn't make sense to bring anyone associated with JL back on the screen. Had Aquaman not already been in production, that would have got canned too.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe JL under performing spooked them. If Aquaman does well, they might take more risks.
It's more than just JL. What aside from Wonder Woman is supposed to give them any confidence?

Man of Steel, despite being liked well enough by a sizable group of people, was the laughing stock of the internet for 3 got damn years.
Batman v Superman was utterly reviled.
Suicide Squad was similarly received despite overperforming at the box office.
Justice League underperformed, reviewed terribly, and killed off basically any goodwill WB had in the comic game.

No studio would look at all that and think the solution is to rush into greenlighting more movies. Hell, Aquaman is probably only getting the media push it is because it tested so well.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man of Steel was dragged through the coals so damn much that Marvel went out of there way in Age of Ultron to point out multiple times - almost to the point of hilarity - that the Avengers were actually saving civilians instead of just destroying another city while crackin' wise about it.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Man of Steel was dragged through the coals so damn much that Marvel went out of there way in Age of Ultron to point out multiple times - almost to the point of hilarity - that the Avengers were actually saving civilians instead of just destroying another city while crackin' wise about it.
Bruh that was one of the many things that irritated me in that movie. I was in the theater like, "My guy, they're the Avengers. I know they save people. Joss pls."

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Won't somebody think of the regular citizens caught in the crossfire

Dumbest talking point about MoS by far, but at least it created that killer intro for BvS

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
In retrospect, we should have known the internet was about to get really fucking weird about these movies when we had people calculating death tolls for the Metropolis fight and creating flash games that scored you on how many people you killed.

Like....what the fuck? Was it that serious?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
DCEU is in bad shape, we've heard nothing concrete about an over plan and they just keeping jumping on bandwagons.

The trick is to have good movies first.

You can back stop the connectivity if you need to, like the Arrowverse. Aquaman is good. WW84 will likely be good. I think Shazam might be good. That's a foundation you build upon.

Does the sheer amount of random DC projects feel a bit scattershot? Yes. But despite that, Joker is looking good, Birds of Prey has a solid production crew and cast, and Suicide Squad 2 just picked up Gunn.

WB is starting to get the DCEU to a good spot. I wish there was more of a concrete plan, but at the very least they're trying to make good movies.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Marvel's dumb success ruined these movies for a long time. MoS has aged far better than any of the Marvel films. How I wish I lived in the universe where MoS was universally loved.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more optimistic about DC than I am now. Wonder Woman is probably already one of my favorite CBM movies. Aquaman looks like a ton of fun, and I've never read any of his comic books. I'm getting a Joker film starring Joaquin Phoenix who did such a good job on You Were Never Really Here this year. I totally liked the Shazam comic I've read and is silently screaming about the good-feel vibes and how much I recognize in the trailer. And an R rated Harley Quinn movie with a promising cast and competent choreographers. I'm super giddy about it all. I can understand the frustration though since there's a long time between projects and uncertainty with some projects. Also, that Flash solo is a long time coming but I finally feel like Warner knows what they're doing. It feels like to me that they are focusing in on creating a good movie at a time that can stand on its own first and foremost, instead of building a universe just to have one. The universe building will find its rooting through strong solo projects.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's dumb success ruined these movies for a long time. MoS has aged far better than any of the Marvel films. How I wish I lived in the universe where MoS was universally loved.

MoS was the best one Snyder did. It was the rest that tripped it up and even being liked it was a 7-8/10 film, not loved.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Had Snyder kept on making his lighter-hearted Justice League as he had originally planned and not had it hijacked to be something more akin to a Marvel movie in terms of humor we wouldn't be in this mess.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Even as someone who ain't all that hot on Man of Steel, the criticisms around it got real dumb. Like, Clark stops a jackass from sexually harassing the bartender. Said jackass picks a fight with Clark, getting physical. Clark walks away and in his frustration smashes the jackass' truck... response from folks online is "but he shouldn't have ruined the truck driver's livelihood!"

...huh?

Anyway that Smallville fight was dope. Still one of the best displays of superpowers on screen.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wanted to reply earlier, but was on the street.

I said, I believe after BvS, that we would never really see a road map for DC movies again, and that seems truer by the day. If you don't have a road map, people can't say changed plans and stuff like that.

I get the frustration people have with not knowing the next 10 movies in production and not having directors, writers and cast attached to them all.

But it seems like the veil of Hollywood movie making has been ripped off, and no one prepared folks for that knowledge. Like there were like half a dozen Batman projects between Batman and Robin and Batman Begins, but the internet wasn't in such a big huff with all the stuff back then. Hell Justice League Mortals is more recent, and even that didn't have the spotlight shun on it the way announcements are now. Deadline mentions in PASSING that WB is talking about a Zatanna movie, and now that's making headlines on websites. So if it doesn't follow through, the narrative continues that WB doesn't know what they are doing.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to reply earlier, but was on the street.

I said, I believe after BvS, that we would never really see a road map for DC movies again, and that seems truer by the day. If you don't have a road map, people can't say changed plans and stuff like that.

I get the frustration people have with not knowing the next 10 movies in production and not having directors, writers and cast attached to them all.

But it seems like the veil of Hollywood movie making has been ripped off, and no one prepared folks for that knowledge. Like there were like half a dozen Batman projects between Batman and Robin and Batman Begins, but the internet wasn't in such a big huff with all the stuff back then. Hell Justice League Mortals is more recent, and even that didn't have the spotlight shun on it the way announcements are now. Deadline mentions in PASSING that WB is talking about a Zatanna movie, and now that's making headlines on websites. So if it doesn't follow through, the narrative continues that WB doesn't know what they are doing.

Yep. It's all very standard Hollywood, now with a magnifying glass on everything to get the clicks. And again, Marvel Studios gets how to play that game by being super secretive and controlling the message. That's unique among Disney studios, too. Star Wars catches some of the same flack for projects announced and "cancelled."

At the end of the day I don't think that matters much once the movies are out and can speak for themselves, but in the lead up you can see how people will overreact or try to spin narratives and whatnot.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well said Penguin. It's why I don't get up on anything that's reported. In my mind I know that just cuz some names are attached doesn't mean a movie is going to get made. Planning everything out is probably just as complicated as making the movie itself.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
Had Snyder kept on making his lighter-hearted Justice League as he had originally planned and not had it hijacked to be something more akin to a Marvel movie in terms of humor we wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm not so sure that Snyder had planned a "lighter hearted" sequel... BvS was poorly received, and the production of JL was already started... WB is suddenly doubting the wonder boy, realizes he's doing the same shit again... Too late to pull the plug, WB panics and call Joss

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You know the one thing a paranoid, older Bruce like Affleck could have offered me... is a bigger potential for Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom adaption.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know If it would've mattered much at that point...Even if Snyder single handedly tried to "course correct" everything by himself, I think the damage was already done after BVS was out.

We would have a better movie, with a clear cut vision, at least. But probably not the vision most people wanted.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Some new stills, maybe one of them is considered a spoiler, so I am going to put that into tags. It involves Mera.

DtV0X5GXgAAMcdv.jpg

DtVw1YqV4AA-Quk.jpg

DtVvW7PXoAIfbfX.jpg

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not a Snyder Cut person, but since this scene description is coming from a star figured I'd share.

It starts around 1:10 in the video

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Not a Snyder Cut person, but since this scene description is coming from a star figured I'd share.

It starts around 1:10 in the video

As I understand it there are levels to the whole Snyder Cut thing and what Momoa says there isn't against the reasonable take of: there is an assembled version Zack put together, with unfinished effects, and it makes zero business sense to release it at this point.

k2KRCX2.jpg

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
So you're telling me there's a chance?

Hey, it only took 26 years for Richard Donner to release his version of Superman 2 on DVD, cobbling unfinished footage and all.

So if the stars align, in 25 years someone will make a sequel to the original, unseen version of Justice League, and then WB can ask Zack to come back and do the same.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The trick is to have good movies first.

You can back stop the connectivity if you need to, like the Arrowverse. Aquaman is good. WW84 will likely be good. I think Shazam might be good. That's a foundation you build upon.

Does the sheer amount of random DC projects feel a bit scattershot? Yes. But despite that, Joker is looking good, Birds of Prey has a solid production crew and cast, and Suicide Squad 2 just picked up Gunn.

WB is starting to get the DCEU to a good spot. I wish there was more of a concrete plan, but at the very least they're trying to make good movies.

Sure but they're far removed from the connective living breathing world that the MCU has been able to do. It's frustrating to watch them squander 2 of their 3 biggest icons.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Shazam trailer makes me feel something
The first didn't do anything for me

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I wasn't crazy about the first Shazam trailer. Granted, it was released very early and not much was finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.