• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017

So awhile ago I had a discussion with a buddy of mine, who could be considered "in the critic circle" as he worked for a couple of websites and has gotten to know various RT critics , and the impression I got from him is that a DC movie could never really get a fair assessment from critics. Basically there is a lot of hostility from critics toward Zack Snyder and DC fans online in general. A lot of them dread watching DC films and it tends to taint their experience. Now that Zack is gone I'm really curious to see how they will react to these new slate of movies. My guess is that not much will change and even if Aquaman is decent I think critics will be a lot more harsher than your average movie. I'm expecting a high rotten score or a low fresh, anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise.

Microsales

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same at times the pre JL tweets before them watching it was eye rolling. Like going in with a negative attitude isn't good.

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Hi, guys. Just joined after a long and torturous process. Going to see Aquaman Saturday. Fun fact: Saturday's the 40th anniversary of the release in US cinemas of Superman, a movie that in its original theatrical cut was 2 hrs and 23 mins long. Same exact length as Aquaman.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The blogger clique is pretty limited in the scheme of things and they do have a toxic mindset about this stuff, among other film related ideas as they play at being gatekeepers. It is what it is when you're dealing with such an insular group. But I wouldn't say most critics are that way.

Hi, guys. Just joined after a long and torturous process. Going to see Aquaman Saturday. Fun fact: Saturday's the 40th anniversary of the release in US cinemas of Superman, a movie that in its original theatrical cut was 2 hrs and 23 mins long. Same exact length as Aquaman.

I never knew Superman was that long lol. Watching it often as a kid, it always flew by.

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
The blogger clique is pretty limited in the scheme of things and they do have a toxic mindset about this stuff, among other film related ideas as they play at being gatekeepers. It is what it is when you're dealing with such an insular group. But I wouldn't say most critics are that way.

I never knew Superman was that long lol. Watching it often as a kid, it always flew by.
It does. That's one of the many great things about it. Hope Aquaman doesn't feel longer.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I think its not good to fall into a pit of self pity and paranoia and resentment because a movie you like isn't that well liked by others . You do you, and if a badly reviewed film gives you joy more power to you.
Some might even say that we are DAMAGED that way .

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So awhile ago I had a discussion with a buddy of mine, who could be considered "in the critic circle" as he worked for a couple of websites and has gotten to know various RT critics , and the impression I got from him is that a DC movie could never really get a fair assessment from critics. Basically there is a lot of hostility from critics toward Zack Snyder and DC fans online in general. A lot of them dread watching DC films and it tends to taint their experience. Now that Zack is gone I'm really curious to see how they will react to these new slate of movies. My guess is that not much will change and even if Aquaman is decent I think critics will be a lot more harsher than your average movie. I'm expecting a high rotten score or a low fresh, anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise.

You know I actually believe you. Zack Snyder never did anything to nobody though. One thing that I would always maintain is that BvS is the most misunderstood movie of all time.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
You know I actually believe you. Zack Snyder never did anything to nobody though. One thing that I would always maintain is that BvS is the most misunderstood movie of all time.
The BvS that WB released in theaters was a truly awful movie. In fact, I don't think critics have been unfair to any of the DC movies thus far (save for Man of Steel which should have reviewed a lot higher). BvS Theatrical was awful, Suicide Squad was awful, Wonder Woman was okay (and for superhero movies, okay is great), and Justice League was awful. I was the most optimistic person in the world going into the theatrical showing of BvS, hell I was even excited for Eisenberg Luthor, and I walked out thinking it was an absolute editing mess of a movie and the poor reviews were absolutely correct.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, morbidly curious what the series would have been

I mean pilots tend to have the most time and money poured into them and Aquaman is hardly ever in the water, let alone gets to Atlantis.

From Wiki:

Ideas for future episodes focused on environmental threats, such as "ocean polluters" and "evil oil companies."[1] The first 13 episodes already planned out, with a possible story arc involving McCaffery being captured and taken back to Atlantis.[2] Stories regarding mythology were set to play a small role in later episodes.[2] Gough and Millar chose to go with a more classic version, from the comics, of Aquaman's mythology. Gough stated, "Unlike Superman, there really isn't a set core mythology for Arthur Curry. There are a couple different versions of it. We went with the most classic one."[2]

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I mean.....yeah. We forget that critics are just people, prone to the same biases and such we all are. If you watched trailer reactions and such, you could tell that some checked out as soon as the saw the DC logo. Whether it was because they didn't like the previous movies, are hardcore Marvel acolytes, or just hate all superhero movies is for them to know. If you find that fair or not is for you to decide. Personally, I don't think it matters much. I expect most will try to be fair - cause it's their fucking job lol - and I don't mind biases much. We all have them, and searching for objectivity in what is ultimately a subjective topic is futile.

And let's keep it 100. A lot of that response has nothing to do with the films themselves but rather having to deal the crazier DC fans. When you got dozens of wastrels with Superman avatars and #ReleasetheSydnerCut in their bios flooding your mentions every time you tweet an opinion on Suicide Squad or whatever, it's going to start coloring your experiences when it comes time to watch another movie in this franchise.

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.....yeah. We forget that critics are just people, prone to the same biases and such we all are. If you watched trailer reactions and such, you could tell that some checked out as soon as the saw the DC logo. Whether it was because they didn't like the previous movies, are hardcore Marvel acolytes, or just hate all superhero movies is for them to know. If you find that fair or not is for you to decide. Personally, I don't think it matters much. I expect most will try to be fair - cause it's their fucking job lol - and I don't mind biases much. We all have them, and searching for objectivity in what is ultimately a subjective topic is futile.

And let's keep it 100. A lot of that response has nothing to do with the films themselves but rather having to deal the crazier DC fans. When you got dozens of wastrels with Superman avatars and #ReleasetheSydnerCut in their bios flooding your mentions every time you tweet an opinion on Suicide Squad or whatever, it's going to start coloring your experiences when it comes time to watch another movie in this franchise.

Yeah, I should note that these were the DC fans I was referring to, and I do understand the critics point of view to a degree. All fan bases have their crazies and I'm sure it is exhausting having to deal with insufferable individuals but it's just a bummer that most of these critics, in my opinion, let something like that dictate their overall view of a community and a movie as a whole. Especially because a lot of people tend to judge a movie by it's Tomato score. I guess that just speaks to my contention with the Tomatometer and why it's flawed. Overall that's why I'm not really optimistic, I mean Venom was a stupid movie but really "fun" and it still got destroyed by RT. Suppose we'll find out for sure tomorrow if Aquaman could possibly follow the same fate. In more fun news...

Current bid is on eBay here.

On an unrelated note, anyone got a spare $2,050 they can lend me? K thx. ^_^

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Black Mask and Victor Zsasz on the big screen. It's been a long time coming. Birds of Prey is gonna be special, I can feel it.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
David is the perfect troll. Few days ago he shared a video of himself flying when someone asked for the brazilian footage.
Always the good answers.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Never venture into Etc, but I hope the movie reviews well.

Nonetheless, I'll be going to see it Monday.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
GreenSelfreliantEgret-small.gif

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
I was facepalming at the one that criticized Aquaman for not having a stronger "green moral". That's not why this movie was made ffs. It's like getting mad that Infinity War wasn't a "deep" examination of overpopulation.

LOL yup. This is the kind of crap I was expecting from the critics. Honestly though it's doing way better than I'd imagine, if it can stay above 70% that will be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.