• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they made an entire TV series for a decade.
MV5BYmNiNzlhOWItMDM5Mi00MGYzLWI1ZDYtNmI5NzI0MWFkMTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU2NjA5NjM@._V1_.jpg

There are two popular fighting games whose entire point is "Superman is bad".

And uhhh... Superman American Alien.

This is how that was sold.
This is the story of Clark Kent, a Kansas farm boy who happens to be from another planet. It's the story of a scared young kid with impossible powers, of a teenage delinquent with a lot to learn, of a reporter with a nose for the truth who's keeping the biggest secret the world has ever known.

This is not the Superman you know. Not yet.

And yet:
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!
IGN's People's Choice winner for 2016 Best Limited Comic Book or Mini-Series

American Alien Is The Best Superman Story In Ages
Despite the fact that hundreds of great stories exist about Superman, one of the worst fallacies about him is that he's a boring character who's hard to write because of how all-powerful and altruistic he is. All you need to do is look at the way that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman turned out—hormonally moody in the most annoyingly adolescent way—to see that Zack Snyder and the powers that be at Warner Bros believe that idea.
Under the Radar
American Alien excels as a Superman story because it acknowledges the qualities that made the character interesting to a 1940s audience are not necessarily the same qualities we need to see in Superman in 2016. But it also proves that The Man of Steel is more malleable than we presumed, and that a search for the Kryptonian's soul could lead to his most human story to date.
Free from continuity, Superman: American Alien flies high
In an interview running in the back of all DC's titles this week, Landis mentions that DC reached out to him around the time he released his opinion piece "Regarding Clark," in which he details the qualities he values about Superman and the ways he's disappointed by the treatment of the character in Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel.
American Alien #1 is one of the best Superman comics in a year when the character has already experienced some major changes for the better. But unlike the current story unfolding in the main Superman titles, this issue isn't memorable because it takes the character in a bold new direction. It's memorable because it gets at the heart of what has made the character one of the world's popular heroes.

Note, I really don't like Landis as a persona, but American Alien is a legitimately great Superman story.

So what's the difference? Part of it is longform storytelling—as I said before there's things we allow for in serialized fiction that you won't in a movie. A TV show or comic mini-series can spread the journey out, whereas a film needs to satisfy in each picture. Harry Potter is eight films, but the first few films are completely satisfying on their own. The second is down to pure execution. As I've said, Man of Steel was flawed in a few ways, but people generally enjoyed it. the Letterboxed is 2.9 out of 5 stars, the IMDB is 7.1 out of 10. But BvS as the second part of that character's story was the misstep.

You can do a lot with Superman. Yes, he's the same noble good archetype you see in characters like Captain America, but there are things you can do with that. You can go more human, like American Alien. Authoritarian like Red Son and Injustice. Mythical like All-Star Superman:

Square jawed stoic hero like George Reeves, a lithe goofball like Chris Reeves, or pretty much anything. You just gotta execute.

And the truth is, Cavill could probably do it. but if you're going to direct Superman, you need to want to direct Superman first and foremost, and I think that's a tough nut to crack. Batman is a crime drama, that's easy. Superman is... a myth. Gotta stretch a bit.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Authoritarian like Red Son and Injustice.

Those worked due to the fact they were self aware they were making an evil Superman who is a villain from another reality, they didn't plan on wanting the audience to like what they're doing and treat them as heroes. This is what was missing in the DCEU, until Justice League. Which was improved significantly with Whedon, as once Superman was no longer evil he acted like how he's supposed to act. He gave Superman purpose and let him speak, rather than let him stay a distant Greek god who could only communicate through violence and intimidation when he had the cape on.

Square jawed stoic hero like George Reeves, a lithe goofball like Chris Reeves, or pretty much anything. You just gotta execute.

Yup.

And the truth is, Cavill could probably do it. but if you're going to direct Superman, you need to want to direct Superman first and foremost, and I think that's a tough nut to crack.

Agreed. Had no issues with Cavill or the cast.

Last edited:

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If you had to tackle a DC character who would you choose?

I sure as hell wouldn't go after Superman, I'd go with static, nightwing or the lantern. It's hard to nail a film where the character is essentially a god and if you stray from the Boy Scout people will fucking hate you.
Pretty much. I'm still not sure if the general population believes this since MoS was ultimately a success, but the amount of bitching and misconstruing going in with that movie from the people on the internet is entirely loathsome. Never seen such a whiny sack of fans apart from Final Fantasy people.

As for me, i'm picking Batman Beyond. Less because of Batman and more because of the stories you can tell with that setting and those characters. It's way more interesting than standard shit. Give me Elseworlds stories any day.

Oct 25, 2017
We do not deserve Mike and his wisdom.

I think people need to be introduced to a significantly de-powered Superman ala the 90s animated series.

He was strained when performing the tasks that other adaptions could have done without any bother at all.

The three rules of speeding bullets, locomotives and tall buildings just need to be remembered.

That show, increasingly a relic of a bygone era, was made with an admittedly old-fashioned idea of Superman.

As Batman can be adapted at different times in his career (young and inexperienced, his prime, or past it); Superman should be able to be freely changed up and shown it is not his abilities that make him super, but his actions.

But I've lived my entire adolescent and adult life being told that live action Superman films can and do not work in our modern society.

Yet it's Superman that's the problem?

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised Margot opted to keep the tattoos. This doesn't bode well for Leto if his Joker appears again (whose chances are looking slimmer by the day, but still).

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If Reeves chooses fucking Ansel Egort over Armie Hammer just burn this entire project to the ground

Oct 25, 2017
I hope WB would draw the line at some point because that list of candidates is terrible besides Hammer

They likely can't, seeing as how they gave Reeves full creative control during his negotiations for the gig back in 2017. And honestly no, that list isn't quite "terrible." It's just different from what I think a number of fans are expecting right now. Granted, not every name on that list excites me either.

But guys like Jack O'Connell, Aaron Taylor Johnson and Nicholas Hoult? They're all legit and would crush it as Batman in their own unique way. Which seems to be what Reeves wants for his film- something more idiosyncratic than a Don Draper type. This has been the case since he was initially looking at Jake Gyllenhaal for the part.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What an idiotic hot take. How do you explain all the comics, animated cartoons/movies, and TV shows that do not at all back this up? Snyder's Superman failed because if anything he wasn't human enough. People weren't exactly thrilled with Snyder's "Emo Space Jesus".

Also it looks like Cavill wanted to be able to approve the director choice, which ties back into the rumors over the contract negotiation breakdowns. Plus some directors might not be interested in trying to rebuild Snyder's Superman, rather than totally rebooting Supes.

Idiotic hot take? Superman would be a a god among us and how Snyder handled him as a dude coming to grips with his power was amazing. I know you got it out for cavill Superman but people just wanted him to be classic supes who saves the day and you can get that bullshit outta my face. Some People took that neck snap like it was their neck being snapped.
Smallville did it. Superman's like any powerful character, make him relatable and vulnerable just make it faithful and don't do it poorly. I'd be there on day one for a James Gunn Superman, just by his GOTG movies.
I'm not a fan of Gunn's quirky style for Superman, I really think he needs that team dynamic. So weird he wants krypto to just be hanging out in his movie.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Zod was going to kill every single human to spite Supes

What other choice did he have in that instance?

The neck snap outrage is tiring. You can see the agony it caused supes in his reaction to it.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Zod was going to kill every single human to spite Supes

What other choice did he have in that instance?

The neck snap outrage is tiring. You can see the agony it caused supes in his reaction to it.

There's a million different ways you can have that moment playout without Supes having to snap Zods neck. Can you imagine if Bale's Batman has snapped Ra's neck? But by leaving Ra's to his own fate "I don't have to save you", we don't see him as a killer. It's the difference between Keaton's "rubber bullets" and Affleck's gunning henchmen down in the dozens.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
There's a million different ways you can have that moment playout without Supes having to snap Zods neck. Can you imagine if Bale's Batman has snapped Ra's neck? But by leaving Ra's to his own fate "I don't have to save you", we don't see him as a killer. It's the difference between Keaton's "rubber bullets" and Affleck's gunning henchmen down in the dozens.

Here we go.

Again.

Aug 28, 2018
Maybe it's the Twilight baggage but I'm surprised Robert Pattinson isn't thrown around more for Batman. He'd be a great Keaton-y choice.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I like Hoult but I think Dark Phoenix is gonna wreck that entire cast's career, and WB isn't gonna want anyone associated with that sure-to-be dumpster fire with their most important blockbuster franchise

ATJ would be great. Dude is jacked

Haven't seen O'Connell in anything, but he looks the the part

Jakey G is Mysterio, I don't even know why he'd be on the studio's wishlist

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Still can't believe the neck snap caused that much outrage lol. Snyder's justification for it always rang true for me.

Do it once so you can know never to do it again.

The agony he felt after doing it is the most honest moment we have in this silly genre.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important that Superman knew the value of life after having to regretfully put down the last living member of his race. If anything it makes him more compassionate and knowing the value of a life after realizing the costs of taking one are.
Finally I'm sure it was brought up before but considering how slow Zod moved his head it was clear he wanted Superman to kill him. He had nothing else to live for you and he was willing to go down as a last ditch resort. Apparently the principle is called "Suicide by Cop"?

IconGrist

Oct 26, 2017
The neck snap's full story hit in BvS when he says, "No one stays good in this world." Angers me it goes unnoticed. He killed Zod to save the world. And he hated having to do it even though it can be seen as necessary. Then he realizes when Lex ultimatums him that it seems impossible to stay good which is easy for him to believe considering he's been doubting his role (actually due to Lex behind the scenes). Despite feeling that way HE STILL TRIES TO REASON WITH BATMAN! And even says "If I wanted it you'd be dead already." He resists the whole time because he doesn't want to believe it has to be done. So in his final moments knowing he's about to die he pleads for Bruce to save his mother. He chose to let himself be beaten rather than take Batman's life as Lex demanded.

Emo and conflicted are not the same thing and I wouldn't even consider Superman conflicted based on his actions. He fought that mentality to the bitter end.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017

Yes the defending of the necksnap is just as tiring as the outrage. But it's tiring having to hear how we don't get the brilliance or genius of Snyder.

People can know the value of life without having to take one. Even if he had to kill Zod, there's something over the top about having to snap his neck. Again. A million different ways to write it. Defend it all you want, but it's divisive. Written another way it would still portray the same emotions and beats that you enjoy, but without alienating so many viewers.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The neck snap's full story hit in BvS when he says, "No one stays good in this world." Angers me it goes unnoticed. He killed Zod to save the world. And he hated having to do it even though it can be seen as necessary. Then he realizes when Lex ultimatums him that it seems impossible to stay good which is easy for him to believe considering he's been doubting his role (actually due to Lex behind the scenes). Despite feeling that way HE STILL TRIES TO REASON WITH BATMAN! And even says "If I wanted it you'd be dead already." He resists the whole time because he doesn't want to believe it has to be done. So in his final moments knowing he's about to die he pleads for Bruce to save his mother. He chose to let himself be beaten rather than take Batman's life as Lex demanded.

Emo and conflicted are not the same thing and I wouldn't even consider Superman conflicted based on his actions. He fought that mentality to the bitter end.
The fact that Superman willingly gives his life at the end to save the planet should be the indicator that he was never really conflicted about what he was trying to be. It drives me bonkers that people still characterize him as an asshole, or a jerk and whatever other superlative they can think of. Superman isn't perfect and he isn't supposed to be, but in the age of misinformation you kinda have to be to past society's inane purity tests.

The fact that BvS frames its whole story through this lens is what makes it so excellent. Superman is seen rescuing people after the bombing and yet the media still will go about framing it negatively. It's a fucking reflection of our pitiful state.

INST

Nov 2, 2017

Era good enough for u but we aren't huh? I see how it is.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised Margot opted to keep the tattoos. This doesn't bode well for Leto if his Joker appears again (whose chances are looking slimmer by the day, but still).

I assume part of the "emancipation of Harley Quinn" requires the acknowledgement that the previous relationship wasn't good. The tattoos are a mark of that relationship.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Rubber bullets and "I don't have to save you" are excuses you use on a child, not to mention they don't pass the logic test.
Sometimes you don't have a lot of choices and you learn from them.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people gave "I won't kill you... but I don't have to save you" a pass. Imagine if TAS Batman said that. Bruce Timm would be vilified.

Also the whole "I won't kill this man who murdered someone, but I will set fire and kill many more men while not saving that man but instead save the man who orchestrated the whole thing instead."

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Rubber bullets and "I don't have to save you" are excuses you use on a child, not to mention they don't pass the logic test.
Sometimes you don't have a lot of choices and you learn from them.

I'm not trying to open up old wounds and I'm not trying to troll. But breaking Zod's neck wasn't Clark's choice. It was Snyders. They wanted Clark to snap Zod's neck, so they wrote a way they felt naturally led to that.

What if Zod forced him to make that choice, but it didn't involve the actual neck being snapped. What if it involved a dilemma where Clark couldn't be in two places at once? You would still have Clark having to chose between saving an innocent family, or saving the last remaining member of his race? No-one is discounting the impact of him having to make a terrible decision. But I am saying there are many other ways to execute it that don't involve him snapping someones neck.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main issue with Clark Killing, is it's never really brought up in Batman v Superman. We never see Clark Kent/Superman talk in his own words for what he stands for. One of the changes i would have made would have not made Bruce a Killer, but getting brutal and have have him on the Edge and lean into Clark talking him down from the ledge and how the cost is too high.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The main issue with Clark Killing, is it's never really brought up in Batman v Superman. We never see Clark Kent/Superman talk in his own words for what he stands for. One of the changes i would have made would have not made Bruce a Killer, but getting brutal and have have him on the Edge and lean into Clark talking him down from the ledge and how the cost is too high.
And then he kills Zod again in BvS. If Snyder really intended for the MoS to be Clark's "Never again" moment why the hell did he shove a villain in that forced Clark to kill AGAIN? And kill the same guy AGAIN no less?
WB totally slipped in a multi-film commitment into his contract
Isn't he one of those actors who hates multi-movie commitments? I can't see him sticking around past this one movie. But I'm really curious if Leto will be returning. Gunn doesn't like Leto, Reeves doesn't plan to use Joker, and Leto's Joker would seriously need a redesign if he ever did come back. Get rid of those idiotic tattoos.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why people gave "I won't kill you... but I don't have to save you" a pass. Imagine if TAS Batman said that. Bruce Timm would be vilified.

Also the whole "I won't kill this man who murdered someone, but I will set fire and kill many more men while not saving that man but instead save the man who orchestrated the whole thing instead."

I've seen people criticize Begins for that, especially when it came out.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About BvS

Superman never should have died
The Villain should have been Metallo instead of Doomsday
Clark should have been the driving force of the formation of the Justice league and not the memory of his death.

Man of Steel is a great opening movie to a cinematic Universe but Snyder completely misunderstood how to move the character forward and the DC Universe.

Batman v Superman as a film is a sound concept but it should have been more DC New Frontier and less The Dark Knight Returns.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Morrison? It's great, highly recommend. Has a 2000 AD feel to it that I enjoy, but I was burnt out from all the "GLC is on the verge of extinction!" Stories.
Great! May hunt down the floppies next time I'm in west end London.

Trying to find some disposable income so I can pick up the new Kingdom Come Absolute.

About BvS

Superman never should have died
The Villain should have been Metallo instead of Doomsday
Clark should have been the driving force of the formation of the Justice league and not the memory of his death.

Man of Steel is a great opening movie to a cinematic Universe but Snyder completely misunderstood how to move the character forward and the DC Universe.

Batman v Superman as a film is a sound concept but it should have been more DC New Frontier and less The Dark Knight Returns.

Though I love BvS UC, I hear all this.

In terms of what Snyder wanted to do with his movies, it made sense.

In terms of WB wanting an MCU it should have been the coming together of Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman. Wonder Woman slapping sense into Clark and Bruce to stop their beef and unite against a common enemy would have been ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.