• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
mzUjPn9g.jpg
Why is it so hard to make Harley Quinn look like a Harlequin?

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
About BvS

Superman never should have died
The Villain should have been Metallo instead of Doomsday
Clark should have been the driving force of the formation of the Justice league and not the memory of his death.

Man of Steel is a great opening movie to a cinematic Universe but Snyder completely misunderstood how to move the character forward and the DC Universe.

Batman v Superman as a film is a sound concept but it should have been more DC New Frontier and less The Dark Knight Returns.
If Superman didn't die, then where would the impetus for forming the Justice League begin? Superman could practically handle the world (and Steppenwolf as we saw) and save everybody, so why would a team needed to be formed in the first place?
Dan Jurgens, who wrote the original Death of Superman comic story, believed that BvS made the Doomsday fight more meaningful than in his own book.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not trying to open up old wounds and I'm not trying to troll. But breaking Zod's neck wasn't Clark's choice. It was Snyders. They wanted Clark to snap Zod's neck, so they wrote a way they felt naturally led to that.

What if Zod forced him to make that choice, but it didn't involve the actual neck being snapped. What if it involved a dilemma where Clark couldn't be in two places at once? You would still have Clark having to chose between saving an innocent family, or saving the last remaining member of his race? No-one is discounting the impact of him having to make a terrible decision. But I am saying there are many other ways to execute it that don't involve him snapping someones neck.

so in the end you have more of an issue with how Clark did it rather than him doing it? I can understand that.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Superman didn't die, then where would the impetus for forming the Justice League begin? Superman could practically handle the world (and Steppenwolf as we saw) and save everybody, so why would a team needed to be formed in the first place?
Dan Jurgens, who wrote the original Death of Superman comic story, believed that BvS made the Doomsday fight more meaningful than in his own book.

If Superman doesn't die, I think he helps form the league too inspire the planet, and on the idea that one man even a Superman isn't enough to fight future threats. If your looking at why form the league in the first place, than after Clark is brought back why deal with the team anyway.

I would have waited a few films and had a Death and Return of Superman work to introduce new character's and a new Team after the big 7.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
How we make it so he *can't* handle the villain of the first JL movie by himself? You know like the fucking comics and cartoons have been doing for years? Also Snyder Supes did a terrible job of controlling collateral damage so he totally could've used some help with Zod.

You guys keep acting like Snyder didn't have a creative choice and the he somehow had to portray the characters the way he did. But he didn't. He didn't have to choose freaking Steppenwolf. He didn't have to make WW someone who rage quit on humanity, and Patty and Gal are walking that shit back. He didn't have to have the shitty Bart Allan with Barry's name Flash, or make Cyborg a human head on a robot body. He didn't have to make Supes the freaking Deus Ex Machina. Supes has been alive and well and still helped found the JL, so I have idea where you got this notion that the JL only makes sense with Supes dead. Those were all genius ideas from capekino director Zack Snyder.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people gave "I won't kill you... but I don't have to save you" a pass. Imagine if TAS Batman said that. Bruce Timm would be vilified.

Also the whole "I won't kill this man who murdered someone, but I will set fire and kill many more men while not saving that man but instead save the man who orchestrated the whole thing instead."

People didn't really pass it, they just liked the movie so most let it slide. Every movie has missteps and failures, if the movie as a whole good enough, it doesn't matter. Like, the fact that Luke Skywalker remains hidden in SW, considering he has his father's last and lives openly on his uncle's farm makes no goddamn sense. But I like the movie, so *hand wave*. If I didn't, that shit jumps out.

That said, folks did notice.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-Has-Killed-Lot-People-Screen-Here-Proof-78987.html
Watching the various clips featured in this video, you'll probably notice that the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher era of movies was pretty loose on the whole "not killing idea," and that it was really Christopher Nolan who really enforced that aspect of the Dark Knight's character. Of course, this has led to a handful of controversies. First of all, in Batman Begins, Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne basically refuses to execute a criminal, and instead decides to kill a bunch of other people instead. There is also the rather bogus "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" line from the end of that same film, which gets a fantastic Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne reaction shot in the video

At the very least fans can take solace in the fact that most versions of the Caped Crusader stick to the hero's famous "no guns" rule... well, except for the Nintendo game based on Tim Burton's 1989 Batman movie.

Christopher Nolan dragged Batman (and superhero cinema) into a more serious "real" world
Batman Begins is also a movie full of movie bullshit, characters who don't remain remotely consistent. After spending who knows how long in the thrall of a ninja cult, Bruce Wayne refuses to kill a murderous farmer, so he sets off an explosion that must kill a whole lot of people, presumably including that same murderous farmer.

One Batman Returns kill was so controversial that it's brought up in an interview 25 years later.
A controversial Batman kill wasn't in the screenplay, according to Waters.

"My friends always asked, 'How can you have Batman kill somebody?' To me, Batman not killing Heath Ledger at the end of The Dark Knight after proving he can get out of any prison, it's like 'Come on. Kill Heath Ledger,' " says Waters.

But he's not thrilled with how Batman Returns' Batman handled capital justice.

"Batman killing the clown by throwing his bomb back at him, that wasn't in my draft. I know how uptight people are about Batman killing people in the first place," he says. "To me, if he's going to kill somebody, it better be worth it. It should mean something. So, when he's killing people in a devil-may-care way, it's a little grating."

Burton recalls the violence this way: "At the time, it felt like we were exploring new territory and it's probably quite tame compared to now."

He doesn't recall the studio pushing back.

"I think that everybody was on board with the fact that these were going to be a different type of superhero movie. Because it felt new at the time, they really didn't know what to say about it," says Burton.

Even The Daily Beast called Arkham Knight, "The Most Violent Batman Yet"
This is a character who doesn't kill people. That makes him (almost) a role model—certainly a hero for edgy, brooding kids to look up to. The ESRB description for Arkham Asylum, the first game in the series, makes specific mention of this: "Players assume the role of Batman as he fights (never kills) his way through a psychiatric hospital populated by psychopathic criminals…"

And then you're in the Batmobile chasing down the thugs that almost ran you over. You're driving through the streets, crushing pretty much anything in your path. (Pillars, tables, trees, etc. are all destructible, and crumble upon impact.) It's like something out of Grand Theft Auto. And then you… shoot missiles at the car. Yes, it says that you're doing this to immobilize them, not kill them, and yeah, you might see someone come out of the wreckage. But when you see that car explode and then flip over in a flaming wreckage, the only thing you can think is, "Yup. They're dead." Followed by, "Wait… Did Batman just kill somebody?"

College Humor made a whole joke video about it.

The truth is the no kill rule is in place to justify one big, big sore thumb in the Batman universe. Without it, why doesn't he just Punisher most of his rogues gallery? This is generally why most superheroes have no kill rules: to preserve super-villains. Something I note is really not a problem with superhero movies because they usually end up killing their villains? I was so happy when
Aquaman didn't kill Orm or Black Manta

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
If Superman doesn't die, I think he helps form the league too inspire the planet, and on the idea that one man even a Superman isn't enough to fight future threats. If your looking at why form the league in the first place, than after Clark is brought back why deal with the team anyway.

I would have waited a few films and had a Death and Return of Superman work to introduce new character's and a new Team after the big 7.
The team is formed after Superman returns to fight...bigger threats?? That was the setup in place with Darkseid apparently being a part of Justice League but we didn't get that in the theatrical cut so who knows?
And what wouldn't be more inspiring than Superman's return leading to a rise of metahuman superheroes being able to come out in the open? Without Superman inspiring figures like Batman and Wonder Woman to stand united, then what are the chances of Aquaman, Shazam, or any other heroes like Blue Beetle or Flash to be recieved as the heroic figures they are?
I know a lot of people think Superman's death was done too soon, but I disregard that mainly due to the thematic notion of sacrifice, and that Superman himself was willing to sacrifice his life to save the world from a threat that he couldn't handle alone. A threat so imposing and overwhelming...that forming a team to fill the void of Superman would have made complete sense.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Idiotic hot take? Superman would be a a god among us and how Snyder handled him as a dude coming to grips with his power was amazing. I know you got it out for cavill Superman but people just wanted him to be classic supes who saves the day and you can get that bullshit outta my face. Some People took that neck snap like it was their neck being snapped.

A classic Superman coming to grips with his powers in a modern world is a wonderful idea, the issue is how Snyder implemented it. I don't think MOS was a deal breaker for making the transition to the classic Superman but Snyder bungled everything with B vs S. That neck snap only happened because Goyer and Snyder went above and beyond to make it happen, there's a multitude of options he had to get a similar reaction without making Superman a killer or at least someone who doesn't have to snap necks to win. Of course people will take an incident like that to heart with characters they care about, why would they not?

Many super-heroes in the DCU would be gods among us: Martian Manhunter, Dr. Fate, Metamorpho, Wonder Woman, Shazam etc. They can be gods while being relatable, and understandable to others. Wonder Woman did this in all her movie appearances.

I'm not a fan of Gunn's quirky style for Superman, I really think he needs that team dynamic. So weird he wants krypto to just be hanging out in his movie.

Gunn might be suited to a Superman movie with the Super Family (Supergirl, Superboy, Steel), or having him team up with a super-hero or two.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Simpler answer is the Suicide Squad and other alternative HQ outfits are insanely popular. Among comic fans, general audiences, and everyone in between. The very vocal minority advocating "purity," wanting her to wear a black and red onesie 100% of the time aren't gonna override everyone else.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
What team up is everyone hoping for in the new suicide squad movie?

I'd like Killer Frost, Deadshot, Katana, Harley and Boomerang.

Though it's wishful thinking for that many characters to carry over from the first movie I guess.

I'd like Kingshark too, he could appear in Aquaman 2 also to add some connectivity to the universe.

Edit - I BELIEVE

Last edited:

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Deadshot, Harley, Boomerang, Cheshire, Livewire, Weather Wizard, King Shark, Vixen, Angle Man (jobber who dies almost immediately).

Still my preferred team. Swap Cheshire for Katana if you want to maintain more continuity between the two movies.

Basically, I want to maintain and expand the diversity of the cast as I think that was a big part of the first movie's success. I honestly think dumping the entire team from the first would be a mistake; let Boomer, Harley, and Deadshot form the core of the team at least. Flagg and Moon can be around as supporting characters or cameos.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I don't know what people are complaining about, I think two live-action DC films a year are more than enough. I do think the 2021 DC films could be spaced out a lot better
For me it's cause they have so many characters I want to see on the big screen that having 2 a year is just too low. Especially when they're all going to be getting sequels. I also don't want to wait 4-5 years between sequels. These actors aren't getting any younger and it gets harder for them to stay in superhero shape.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
What team up is everyone hoping for in the new suicide squad movie?

I'd like Killer Frost, Deadshot, Katana, Harley and Boomerang.

Though it's wishful thinking for that many characters to carry over from the first movie I guess.

I'd like Kingshark too, he could appear in Aquaman 2 also to add some connectivity to the universe.

Edit - I BELIEVE

Henry on that JUIICEEEE, look at those delts

Geralt is gonna be huge

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people gave "I won't kill you... but I don't have to save you" a pass. Imagine if TAS Batman said that. Bruce Timm would be vilified.

Also the whole "I won't kill this man who murdered someone, but I will set fire and kill many more men while not saving that man but instead save the man who orchestrated the whole thing instead."

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" didn't bother me a ton. It's 'you destroyed the train controls, you decided to stay and fight, you committed to this suicidal plan - save yourself'. Same with burning down the monastery - if you see the place is on fire, have time to get out, but decide to stay and fight - your death is on you.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is he still Superman when Superman doesn't appear in films? I haven't heard the faintest whisper of Superman appearing in any movie being in production in the next few years. There were occasionally rumours of Man of Steel 2 but that never gets made.
That's probably on lock, the rock commented on that pic too.

The rocks production company and his ex wife manages cavill, they're also producing Shazam. They have a vested interest in DCEU and Superman, I'm sure something is in the works.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
That's probably on lock, the rock commented on that pic too.

The rocks production company and his ex wife manages cavill, they're also producing Shazam. They have a vested interest in DCEU and Superman, I'm sure something is in the works.
They can easily add a small scene in Shazam with Cavill. I will never give up hope

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They can easily add a small scene in Shazam with Cavill. I will never give up hope
The rock is the biggest star on the planet and he made bank with rampage for WB already, I'm sure they'll bend to him. Superman, black Adam, Shazam.

A small cameo would really help out the DCEU's image, Shazam is so light hearted it'd be a perfect cameo. Besides, when's the next opportunity for Superman to be on screen? The closest thing that would make sense after Shazam is Wonder Woman.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't even have to be story related. Literally I would like a scene where Shazam is doing something heroic, looks up, and you see Cav floating and looking at him. He smiles and nods and flies away.

That's on the house WB.

I wanna watch the best, most epic DCAU content right now. What's everyone's best movie or even multi-part JLU episode? Preferably with the JL, not just Superman or Batman

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
More Shazam toy leaks

uxa986kdrge21.jpg
THAT is going to be so damn hype. This film is going to be huge, I feel it.

A Caveo is so damn easy to add to this movie.

Shazam flying at the end of the movie. Superman flies past, slows down, nods and smiles and zooms off.

A recreation of Shazam/Superman first thunder's ending would have me tear up in the cinema - but this movie seems to be taking a different route with Billy (that run was quite dark in hindsight).

ALSO

If Shazam is ever in a JL movie, I hope they go the route where no one (but Batman of course) knows he's a child.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm just going to put it out into the world because I deserve nice things, but this has to be the week we get the Shazam trailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.