• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sportsmaster was awesome as hell on Young Justice, which will never cease to amaze me given his name and main abilities lol
Would be down to see Idris play him in SS2

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Gunn is really out here having GotG 1 and Suicide Squad do the fusion dance to make this new Suicide Squad movie.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too worried for the DC storylines if they want to do something like Endgame. I mean look at all the great storylines that are absolutely epic in the comics, and those are just the first one that cames in my mind :

Flashpoint Paradox

It's only a question of if WB is really willing to build something like that or if they only want to create characters that are in the same universe but don't interact with each others.
Imagine if they pulled an X-Men Days of Future Past with Flashpoint Paradox..... Keep some of the same, change whatever needs to be changed, boom.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I'm still completely unsold on gunn. None of his work outside the MCU was good to me. And I only enjoyed gotg 1 and thought 2 was really bad.

I'm not sold on any these MCU directors taken off the scrap heap being notable outside of it. That brand is a machine and the director is just a cog in it.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still completely unsold on gunn. None of his work outside the MCU was good to me. And I only enjoyed gotg 1 and thought 2 was really bad.

I'm not sold on any these MCU directors taken off the scrap heap being notable outside of it. That brand is a machine and the director is just a cog in it.
Regardless, it'll put butts on seats.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
SS2 or whatever it ends up being called needs a killer (pun not intended) song and music video. The Heathens song was a large part of the marketing for the first film.

I don't think Gunn alone is enough to drive people to see the movie.

I don't think anyone's ever going to dissect why Suicide Squad did so well. It baffles me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shazam considered a bomb? It has like half the WW box office numbers of the previous worst-performing DCEU movie (JL). But obviously the budget is quite a bit smaller.

I'm sad about it. I loved the movie.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is Shazam considered a bomb? It has like half the WW box office numbers of the previous worst-performing DCEU movie (JL). But obviously the budget is quite a bit smaller.

I have an ongoing thesis that the reason why that DC's movies tend to perform poorly is that a) the history of "DCU" movies and b) they are not Marvel.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't missed a comic book movie at the theater since 2012, and I love the comic book Shazam is based on (I was mad hyped around the first trailer coming out), but I haven't checked it out yet. I don't know what's exactly keeping me away. Somehow it feels small-scale (yet I watched Ant-Man and the Wasp, and I like small-scale really), and I've kind of had my fill of Billy and Freddy in all those clips and trailers already. I think it has to do with Zachary Levi honestly. I love him, his timing and way of portraying humor, but it also kind of feels like it's the same, same, same). It still got three more days here at the theater chains but it's at the smallest cinemas with only 60 seats so that's keeping me away as well. And this month I wanna check out Endgame one more time, and then Detective Pikachu (but this one doesn't even get the biggest screen in the country cause of Endgame), John Wick 3, Aladdin and Godzilla.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't missed a comic book movie at the theater since 2012, and I love the comic book Shazam is based on (I was mad hyped around the first trailer coming out), but I haven't checked it out yet. I don't know what's exactly keeping me away. Somehow it feels small-scale (yet I watched Ant-Man and the Wasp, and I like small-scale really), and I've kind of had my fill of Billy and Freddy in all those clips and trailers already. I think it has to do with Zachary Levi honestly. I love him, his timing and way of portraying humor, but it also kind of feels like it's the same, same, same). It still got three more days here at the theater chains but it's at the smallest cinemas with only 60 seats so that's keeping me away as well. And this month I wanna check out Endgame one more time, and then Detective Pikachu (but this one doesn't even get the biggest screen in the country cause of Endgame), John Wick 3, Aladdin and Godzilla.
I just feel like the trailers didn't sell the movie well at all. I really think you'd love it if you watched it.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Shazam will turn a profit once it comes out on home media. It's box office run falls somewhere between fine and slightly underwhelming.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Shazam. It was alright. Liked Wonder Woman, Aquaman and BvS more. Maybe even MoS more. I actually didn't have that much fun, and it's not something I want to immediately rewatch. But it was a fine little movie for what it was.

I did like individual things in it:

- Like how Billy lured out Envy at the end. That was more fun than a usual battle would be.
- How they used the Batarang to figure out he could be hurt.
- How Billy gave his mom the compass cause she needed guidance more. This was a dark subplot and I don't think I like how she left him to the police cause of her own reasons.
- this movie was dark and kinda draining. Billy figuring out his powers and Levi's enthusiasm wasn't that much fun.
- I really like how they involve the citizens in these DC films. They were always well implemented here.
- disappointed that Mary got almost no action. Darla's cool factor made up for this.
- Supes cameo felt cheap.
- I like the creature designs in the DCEU and the Seven Sins too. I liked the scene when Dr Sivana visits his father's board meeting.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Not directly. I just told them that Shazam was amazing and they need to see it and all they ever said when I would tell them is, "Ehhh, I don't know."

I said before that it looked like a family comedy in the trailers.

That's a different box office spread.

I have a feeling that Godzilla will bomb too.

It won't bomb, but more monsters isn't going to draw in any more in terms of the general audience. Right in line with Kong and Godzilla 2014. $550 million.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we'll get some casting news about the Batman movie.
Should be soon, right?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Not necessarily. Marvel have peaked with Endgame for a while but are already taking the initiative with announcing phase 4 projects. Now is the time for Warners to start gearing up in response.

Shazam should have done a lot better and deserved to. They can't rely on a series of unconnected films if they want to start challenging Disney. With the underperformance of brands like Harry Potter and Pokemon, WB need to double down on DC.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. Marvel have peaked with Endgame for a while but are already taking the initiative with announcing phase 4 projects. Now is the time for Warners to start gearing up in response.

Shazam should have done a lot better and deserved to. They can't rely on a series of unconnected films if they want to start challenging Disney. With the underperformance of brands like Harry Potter and Pokemon, WB need to double down on DC.
Blame the audience for Shazam's performance then. And they should worry about making their own money and not challenge Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.