• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it's happening. WB still loves him. Hell, Flash may save him from Fantastic Beasts.

It's more about Superman portrayals prior than MCU films.

These were the Supermen before:

So when Man of Steel didn't work for some folks, that's what they worked with first. (People tend to not know why a film doesn't work for them, and will just gravitate to the first reason that sounds about right to them.) That said, you can sell anything if it's executed well. I think Snyder's take could've worked potentially, but it needed Batman v Superman to be better: some were iffy on the first, but the second is what cemented a negative opinion for them.
But we did get that Superman. The First Flight scene still gives me the chills. Just because he has doubts on the first day he's not muh superman.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So... I miss anything?

Ha I've just been avoiding this and Reddit since news broke, some are taking it better than others.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
So... I miss anything?

Ha I've just been avoiding this and Reddit since news broke, some are taking it better than others.
People are taking it well in here. We all knew it was coming.

It'll be fun to speculate on the rogues appearing in the Batman (hoping for Penguin, Riddler and Hush).

Also the more I think on Gunn's involvement in SS, the more excited I get. O'connor's version with Black Adam sounded dope, but it wasn't feasible at the time.

I do hope we get more than 2 movies a year at some point.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
I doubt it's happening. WB still loves him. Hell, Flash may save him from Fantastic Beasts.

So when Man of Steel didn't work for some folks, that's what they worked with first. (People tend to not know why a film doesn't work for them, and will just gravitate to the first reason that sounds about right to them.) That said, you can sell anything if it's executed well. I think Snyder's take could've worked potentially, but it needed Batman v Superman to be better: some were iffy on the first, but the second is what cemented a negative opinion for them.
I'm talking about MoS. Like I can separate my appreciation for BvS and acknowledge why it doesn't work for some peeps. But MoS is maligned in pretty stupid ways. That's supes wasn't perfect on his first day on the Job (who is?) He wasn't smiling while trying to survive and not shit his pants when his family and the only world he has ever know was mortal peril because of his existence. People remove the context to shit on a pretty good film. The visuals, the score, the action that's unrivaled until this day. Nah men. Superman is supposed to be an action hero and he was that in spades in MoS. Maybe those not familiar with the essence of the characters and are more preoccupied with navel gazing at the wrinkles can consider it out of character but MoS is the best Superman on film ever. I don't know if people are going on nostalgia or trolling but I saw all those films prior to seeing MoS in the theater and none of them are superior in the content or interpretation for the current times.

You cannot longer make Superman the archetype that was in the Donner films when all the farmboys are mostly extinct. The world has changed but peeps are not ok with the myths that inhabit it to change too.

People need to understand that not liking something doesn't make it shit. I can watch a movie and not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad film.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Like Ben affleck has had a harsh time of late and since the "will he, won't he" thing has been going on for more than a year it sure did dampen any impact he had of leaving, for me anyways.

Now I'd be legitimately pissed if cavill and Ezra are booted, those guys have my heart and attention lol.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
But we did get that Superman. The First Flight scene still gives me the chills. Just because he has doubts on the first day he's not muh superman.

The first flight is one of my favorite scenes from the film.

People had problems with MoS's Superman—many critics called it flawed, not bad—but it wasn't a wholesale turn against the character. Folks who had issues probably tend to point to the same things: Pa Kent, collateral damage, Zod's snap, and the kiss. Problems to them, but something that could be overlooked for the origin. I think once Batman v Superman hit though, it had cemented to them that "Oh, this was that Superman," and they didn't like what they saw. BvS changed the context of that Superman.

Snyder probably would've gotten there eventually, as that was the plan, but a) BvS was a misstep in execution and b) no one gets three movies to make an origin. They had to hit the ground running. (See: Fantastic Beasts, which was five planned films. They'll get three at best.)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

I can agree with this. BVS was the real mistake. Huge opportunity for Superman to be what we know him to be, and they mostly failed imo. We didn't need a wise cracking dude, but an emo supes was just too much for the public a second time around.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

People had problems with MoS's Superman—many critics called it flawed, not bad—but it wasn't a wholesale turn against the character. Folks who had issues probably tend to point to the same things: Pa Kent, collateral damage, Zod's snap, and the kiss. Problems to them, but something that could be overlooked for the origin. I think once Batman v Superman hit though, it had cemented to them that "Oh, this was that Superman," and they didn't like what they saw. BvS changed the context of that Superman.

Snyder probably would've gotten there eventually, as that was the plan, but a) BvS was a misstep in execution and b) no one gets three movies to make an origin. They had to hit the ground running. (See: Fantastic Beasts, which was five planned films. They'll get three at best.)
I'll agree with this analysis. MoS was through the lens of Clark. BvS was mostly through the lens of Bruce. This decision made Clark more removed from the audience. I understand what Terrio and Snyder were trying to do, but it'd have probably gone better had it be a proper MoS2 with Bruce as the one working in the shadows.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can agree with this. BVS was the real mistake. Huge opportunity for Superman to be what we know him to be, and they mostly failed imo. We didn't need a wise cracking dude, but an emo supes was just too much for the public a second time around.
When I was playing the South Park game the member berries were like "remember when Superman movies weren't depressing"

I love ultimate cut but Zack went hard in that film to its detriment to the mainstream audience. Should've skipped doomsday killing Superman.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with this analysis. MoS was through the lens of Clark. BvS was mostly through the lens of Bruce. This decision made Clark more removed from the audience. I understand what Terrio and Snyder were trying to do, but it'd have probably gone better had it be a proper MoS2 with Bruce as the one working in the shadows.
Yeah, I think this was part of the problem. There needed to be a proper MoS 2 before BvS.

an emo supes was just too much for the public a second time around.
Right. It's rare, almost unheard of, for a character to get a TV style arc over multiple films. It'd be like if Game of Thrones was a movie series, with the first two movies being the first two seasons, focused wholly on Jon Snow. In those seasons, he's whiny, morose, generally doesn't make any decisions, and the ones he does make are bad. I don't think that hypothetical movie would've survived. Aquaman and Wonder Woman were fully formed in their first films, while the next films will test those formations in new and interesting ways. To some, BvS felt like either a regression of Superman, or cementing whatever they didn't like about MoS.

Shame, because I think Cavill's really got the chops for something special.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the rumored projects, is this the correct slate at the moment?

Shazam - post
Joker - post
Wonder Woman 2 - post or reshoots?
Harley Quinn - production
Aquaman 2 - writing script/getting Wan back?
The Batman - dated
The Suicide Squad - dated

Everything else is rumored and not dated, correct?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Other than the rumored projects, is this the correct slate at the moment?

Shazam - post
Joker - post
Wonder Woman 2 - post or reshoots?
Harley Quinn - production
Aquaman 2 - writing script/getting Wan back?
The Batman - dated
The Suicide Squad - dated

Everything else is rumored and not dated, correct?
Yes, that is correct as of now.

Is Batman really dated? I mean
Yes? Or are you making a sly joke, lol?

newgameplus

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty disappointed with MoS when I first saw it, but I loved BvS instantly. BvS is the main reason I ended up coming around to liking MoS. So what MHWilliams is saying was actually true for me, and I do think my expectations going into both movies played the biggest part in that. Well, expectations and the fact that I apparently really like convoluted action movies. The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions are awesome actually. Don't @ me.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
A little bit. I thought the source is Reeves who only estimated. WB haven't announced a date yet.

The one in Deadline and THR is from Warner Bros marking a calendar date. That's concrete as we're getting.

I was pretty disappointed with MoS when I first saw it, but I loved BvS instantly. BvS is the main reason I ended up coming around to liking MoS. So what MHWilliams is saying was actually true for me, and I do think my expectations going into both movies played the biggest part in that. Well, expectations and the fact that I apparently really like convoluted action movies. The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions are awesome actually. Don't @ me.

Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like.

newgameplus

Oct 26, 2017

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

This right here is fucking key. When everyone else on the JL is already acting heroically and Supes is being a whiny little shit about how being a hero sucks man after his origin, it's really hard to care about the character. Doesn't help that Goyer, Terrio, and Snyder can't make a believable romance at all, Cavill and Adams were so wooden it was painful, and they made that relationship the reason Supes did anything which just exposed their creative weaknesses.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*high five*

They had to know it would remind some people of the MoS kiss right? I really want to know if there were drawn out conversations about it because the Aquaman kiss was indeed fucking wild.
I guess movie makers like that stuff, remember in the third pirates movie they were being married while fighting and killing pirates left and right.

But the Aquaman kiss was less insane as Mera knew he was about to fight Orm and was kinda of a "in case your ass gets killed here lets make out" kinda of kiss sort off?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
People will move on once they finally announce who Affleck's replacement is. Ultimately Batman the character is stronger than any one actor.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Affleck looked the part, but he wasn't anything special as Batman.

Writing didn't help.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm looking forward to a new Batman movie, I do hope that Matt Reeves gets the creative freedom to do what he wants, while helping to ease fans with transitioning to a new actor for the role. I still think even though Ben won't be wearing the cowl, it wouldn't preclude him from making a cameo appearance as the current day older Bruce Wayne at some point in the film. He's still producing the film, after all.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm looking forward to a new Batman movie, I do hope that Matt Reeves gets the creative freedom to do what he wants, while helping to ease fans with transitioning to a new actor for the role. I still think even though Ben won't be wearing the cowl, it wouldn't preclude him from making a cameo appearance as the current day older Bruce Wayne at some point in the film. He's still producing the film, after all.

Apparently part of the reason the movie is taking so long is because WB are giving Reeves the time he needs to flesh out the story (I think one of the rumors from last year said they were mapping out a trilogy with him). They must really trust in his vision, otherwise you would think they would have shoved this thing into production by now like what they did with Suicide Squad and Man of Steel.

I guess after all the backlash they got for Batman being a murderer in BVS and a wet noodle in Justice League they don't want to rush anything out that might further crap on the image of their golden goose.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently part of the reason the movie is taking so long is because WB are giving Reeves the time he needs to flesh out the story (I think one of the rumors from last year said they were mapping out a trilogy with him). They must really trust in his vision, otherwise you would think they would have shoved this thing into production by now like what they did with Suicide Squad and Man of Steel.

I guess after all the backlash they got for Batman being a murderer in BVS and a wet noodle in Justice League they don't want to rush anything out that might further crap on the image of their golden goose.

And while I said all of that I also think that unless we see ties to the DCEU films in the form of J.K. Simmons and Jeremy Irons reprising their roles as Commissioner James Gordon and Alfred respectively, I'm ready to enjoy this upcoming trilogy as its own thing and not necessarily as part of the greater shared DCEU universe. Here's to believing that Matt Reeves can at least bring them back.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah, his entire trilogy could all happen before Man of Steel and wouldn't have to worry about any connective tissue except for what he does with Joker and a Harley that lines up with what we saw in Suicide Squad. I would love to see him tackle the death of Jason Todd in the 2nd or 3rd movie.

My only concern right now is that we won't see any modern day Batman that currently fits in line with the rest of the DCEU as it moves forward. It's not impossible to have whatever actor Reeves casts to show up in the modern movies with a little grey added to their hair, but it's going to be weird if they ignore him completely. Whatever the 2nd Justice League movie is, needs Batman and Superman.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be very lame to have the whole trilogy preMoS. I want to see some teamups eventually, and going between a past Batman and a future Batman and then back to past will be lame

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I think it would be very lame to have the whole trilogy preMoS. I want to see some teamups eventually, and going between a past Batman and a future Batman and then back to past will be lame
I agree with that. I don't want all 3 to be pre MoS, but it kinda feels that's what he wants to do. What I would love to see happen is that the first movie is like 12 years pre MoS (Batman year 7 or 8) and they drop hints of the Court of Owls. Second movie time skips up to like 3 years pre MoS and deals with the death of Robin and kind of sets the tone for why Bruce is the way he is in BvS. Third movie is current day and is a full stop Court of Owls movie that pays off both previous movies hints and it feels like this epic 20 year long plan that Bruce has to defeat. Plus, by the time that movie comes out, we'll hopefully have more Batfamily films out (BoP, Batgirl, Nightwing, etc) which can then all show up in the last movie to help Batman out.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am so mother fucking tired of not having a bat family on screen.

God, one of the best thing about Batman is his relationship with the robins.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I really don't understand why Affleck was kicked to the cub. Actually, run it back, having Justice league and bvs before a second superman was the dumbest idea in history. I hope whoever did that got fired. I'm sure it was some random 60 yr old execs. They could have built something with man of steel. What way to snatch defeat fromm the Jaws of victory.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why Affleck was kicked to the cub. Actually, run it back, having Justice league and bvs before a second superman was the dumbest idea in history. I hope whoever did that got fired. I'm sure it was some random 60 yr old execs. They could have built something with man of steel. What way to snatch defeat fromm the Jaws of victory.
1. Ben Affleck wanted out and WB/Reeves agreed.
2. Nope, they still have their job for many more years to come

Status
Not open for further replies.