• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he gave us the Apes trilogy. That reviewed quite well. If he brings that same quality to Batman. I don't see how people don't line up to see it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't need them to explain the recast, or the past. Just move on and give us great solo movies. For all I care, Pattinson could have been the same Batman who met Deadshot in the alley in Suicide Squad. Or don't touch on it at all. Just move on as if no recasts happened. I'm fine with that. It worked out fine with Hulk and War Machine. I think general audiences would be fine with it as well.

Tabby knows what's up. An Asian Superman would be very cool.
The difference with Batman is that they need to retcon his past and story. Hulk and WM recasted but obviously kept the character story. They are most definitely changing up the entire character presented to us via BvS and JL. But God I hope this movie isn't in the past. Or if it is I hope the trilogy at some point moves into present time

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before. I think WB should shadow drop movies a month or two after announcing them. It would build up hype even more and take advantage of staying relevant in peoples minds. Blue Beetle coming out August 10th 2019 date and trailer reveal at this years SDCC, believe!
I wish it were that easy

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he gave us the Apes trilogy. That reviewed quite well. If he brings that same quality to Batman. I don't see how people don't line up to see it.
Reeves didn't direct Rise.

Batman is a different animal. If his Batman film grosses the same as the most profitable Apes film (around 710m), I guarantee you WB won't be happy.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
All Batman movies have to do to top the charts is be good. That's literally it. Reeves can make good films. If he makes a good Batman film, the rest is history.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Fuck Hoult. Let's get New Superman! We need some Asian representation that isn't a martial arts expert or a comedy relief.

Man of Steel and Cavill were great. Fight me.
I don't need them to explain the recast, or the past. Just move on and give us great solo movies. For all I care, Pattinson could have been the same Batman who met Deadshot in the alley in Suicide Squad. Or don't touch on it at all. Just move on as if no recasts happened. I'm fine with that. It worked out fine with Hulk and War Machine. I think general audiences would be fine with it as well.

Tabby knows what's up. An Asian Superman would be very cool.
I fucking love Kenan and would be ecstatic to see him in a movie but if they can't get Clark right there no fucking way they can do right by Kenan. Personally I hope the next Superman actor is Latino though. Give me a Latino actor with Morrison's social crusader Supes' personality to wipe away Snyder's sad boy Space Jesus Murderman.
All Batman movies have to do to top the charts is be good. That's literally it. Reeves can make good films. If he makes a good Batman film, the rest is history.
Yeah when it comes to Batman the audience has a very forgiving attitude. People will show up in droves for a good Batman movie.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if I could rank my top 5 Batman villains in terms of the ones I'd most like to see on-screen, it'd be:

1. Clayface
2. Mr. Freeze
3. Poison Ivy (it's been over 20 years since Batman & Robin you cowards, bring them back and do them right)
4. Riddler
5. Penguin

And definitely toss Catwoman in the mix.

The Mad Hatter as well.

Personally I'd be okay without Penguin.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some additional info from Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision Newsletter. The Batman is in the first few paragraphs, but the long and short of it is this:

• Reeves met with Hoult & Pattinson as recently as two weeks ago; both were informed they were the finalists, told they had to screen/costume test
  • Final screen + costume tests were done last week
  • WB + Reeves spent this week mulling the choices over, made the decision/informed Pattinson/Hoult camps last night
  • WB/both actors agents worked out potential deals (salaries, bonuses, sequel stuff, etc.) before (I think) the screen tests; Pattinson's deal went into effect when he got chosen

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...-star-in-matt-reeves-the-batman/#2c7527dc1555
Sounds like the Maiden of Might is up next
The Batman isn't the only DC film we'll start hearing more about in the coming months. Besides Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984, we continue getting casting information about The Suicide Squad as its development moves forward. Margot Robbie, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, and Joel Kinnaman are returning to their roles from the first film alongside Idris Elba (whom I've heard could be playing Bronze Tiger), alongside Daniela Melchior as Ratcatcher, David Dastmalchian as Polka-Dot Man, with King Shark and Peacemaker also in line to appear on the team. Another character referred (for now) as The General (aka The Mayor) is also part of the mix, with Benicio del Toro in talks for that role. The story is inspired by John Ostrander's "Suicide Squad" comic book writing.

Supergirl is tentatively expected to start production in the first quarter of 2020, and I suspect we'll hear casting information start to circulate in a few months. Early 2020 -- most likely March or April -- is when The Batman is supposed to begin shooting, too, so now that Pattinson has been cast we should begin hearing additional casting reports soon.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for highlighting this random stream of consciousness bile.
Why so mad? It's good interesting film criticism from a philosophical/political lens?
Also what's random about it? It's clearly thought out unlike your comment which seems to be driven by petty tribalism.
There is actually also a good series about that

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that seems to be your first post in this thread? and you decide to drop a video without any context or your own thoughts? within the first 30 seconds you hear "this movie sucks"

it could be seen as shitposting/drive-by. maybe put a little more effort into the discussion you want to have.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Why so mad? It's good interesting film criticism from a philosophical/political lens?
Also what's random about it? It's clearly thought out unlike your comment which seems to be driven by petty tribalism.
There is actually also a good series about that

I'm not mad friend just a bit weary. It's a criticism of an action adventure film whose chief points seem to be that it isn't sufficiently political and doesn't make proper use of focus in effects shots. It then unexpected advances the John Wick films as examples of modern political cinema.

It's a hatchet job which without personal comment or context you have dropped in a fan based thread.

Freedom of speech / all power to you to upload whatever you want but you are presumably inviting comment so there you go.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
^
You say you are weary because you can't actually take criticism to what you like?
Well I'm weary because this forum's discussion quality has only become worse(or maybe I'm just finding out that it was always this way). Constant petty kneejerks instead of genuinely engaging with any points made. It's like what's the point even of posting or why call it a community thread just call it the DCEU ONLY POSITIVE POST SAFE ZONE THREAD....

that seems to be your first post in this thread? and you decide to drop a video without any context or your own thoughts? within the first 30 seconds you hear "this movie sucks"

it could be seen as shitposting/drive-by. maybe put a little more effort into the discussion you want to have.
1. I don't think it was my first post in here I am just not one of the regulars in this thread.
Correction checking the search function it was indeed my first post in the community thread I think misremembered it with posting in the respective movie discussion threads. Not like that should matter but gatekeeping message received.
Whatever I post only has worth after I have proven to be a true DCEU community member I guess.
2. It sucks that criticism is instantly taking as an attack on people that enjoy a thing instead of what it is a deeper introspection through a particular lens that can widen people's perspectives on a movie in new ways even if they don't feel the same.
3. It's certainly my last post now cause it's fucking awful how you can't have a decent conversation on ERA without people getting all touchy because of petty tribalistic bullshit.
4. I just posted the video because I think the dude does good shit that in my opinion doesn't get watched enough. His video on greenbook was pretty appreciated with its own thread but I guess when it's about superheroes we can't have that.

None of the response addressed any of the points made in the video instead it's basically "wow video critcizes what I like" -> "fuck that video" lol. Unbelievable. DCEU is on the same level as all the review threads in gaming so fuck that and bye forever.

But hey if it heals your egos a little bit he did videos about Marvel movies as well and criticized those. *eye roll*

Last edited:
OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An opening was given to elaborate on the discussion you were looking for (if that was your intent), but you instead turn to insults because no one who replied picked up what you were putting down.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
^
You say you are weary because you can't actually take criticism to what you like?
Well I'm weary because this forum's discussion quality has only become worse(or maybe I'm just finding out that it was always this way). Constant petty kneejerks instead of genuinely engaging with any points made. It's like what's the point even of posting or why call it a community thread just call it the DCEU ONLY POSITIVE POST SAFE ZONE THREAD....

1. I don't think it was my first post in here I am just not one of the regulars in this thread.
Correction checking the search function it was indeed my first post in the community thread I think misremembered it with posting in the respective movie discussion threads. Not like that should matter but gatekeeping message received.
Whatever I post only has worth after I have proven to be a true DCEU community member I guess.
2. It sucks that criticism is instantly taking as an attack on people that enjoy a thing instead of what it is a deeper introspection through a particular lens that can widen people's perspectives on a movie in new ways even if they don't feel the same.
3. It's certainly my last post now cause it's fucking awful how you can't have a decent conversation on ERA without people getting all touchy because of petty tribalistic bullshit.
4. I just posted the video because I think the dude does good shit that in my opinion doesn't get watched enough. His video on greenbook was pretty appreciated with its own thread but I guess when it's about superheroes we can't have that.

None of the response addressed any of the points made in the video instead it's basically "wow video critcizes what I like" -> "fuck that video" lol. Unbelievable. DCEU is on the same level as all the review threads in gaming so fuck that and bye forever.

But hey if it heals your egos a little bit he did videos about Marvel movies as well and criticized those. *eye roll*

Well firstly you didn't make any points at all you just uploaded a 'this sucks' video which is lazy.

Second I made a couple of admittedly brief points about why I thought the video was random and a hatchet job. I note you have made no response / comment whilst at the same time bemoaning that no one is willing to debate you.

I have plenty of criticisms of Aquaman and in common with the video I would have preferred that the ecological angle be more than a passing motivation.

Sorry that this forum is not to your taste. It seems a bit slow at the moment and could definitely use some more contributors. Farewell and good luck I guess.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
^

Lmao, bruh. It's not that deep.

Just like Aquaman's script *ba dum tss*

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Is Daddario still in the cards?
She's always trying out for DC roles and gets turned down. I wonder why.

1f914.png

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DCEU's been mishandled so badly that a new Batman is cast and I don't even really care. Never thought i'd see the day. The old continuity was loaded with potential. Now this, cliche as it's become to say, really is a mess of a situation.

Glad it's not Hoult though. Reeves just considering him is suspect.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The DCEU's been mishandled so badly that a new Batman is cast and I don't even really care. Never thought i'd see the day. The old continuity was loaded with potential. Now this, cliche as it's become to say, really is a mess of a situation.

No it wasn't. The old continuity was a stillborn the moment BvS came out. And Zack wanted the dead Robin to be Dick Grayson, so it's not like he was planning to do Batfamily stuff anyway.

Dec 31, 2017

Hate to say but I agree.

I liked the world being built.

The public at large clearly doesn't agree though.

Too bad, but not everything can be for everyone.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think he means a cosmic universe where a more experienced Batman would subsequently dunk on cosmic heroes and villains alike. See: scrapped post credits scene in JL where Green Lanterns were supposed to be introduced.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Hoult. Let's get New Superman! We need some Asian representation that isn't a martial arts expert or a comedy relief.

If WB were looking for an Asian actor for Superman, I think Ross Butler would have been perfect. Unfortunately he's already in Shazam (briefly) as Eugene.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Your optimism is downright refreshing. But I have to admit I have zero faith in WB/DC's ability to do right by Kara on the big screen.
I hope they stick to a comic accurate origin story and not some contrived bullshit like Kara being a part of General Zod's team who was exploring other planets but when Zod disappears she comes to earth and falls in love with humanity or some shit like that.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
I hope they stick to a comic accurate origin story and not some contrived bullshit like Kara being a part of General Zod's team who was exploring other planets but when Zod disappears she comes to earth and falls in love with humanity or some shit like that.

What if she falls in love with me?

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Because Zack's OG plan wasn't to build a 10+ year universe spanning 20+ movies. It was a 5 (or 6) movie arc over the course of like 8 years. This is the same guy that put a bullet in Jimmy Olsen's head as well. The side characters were expendable in his mini-verse.

And this is why it's annoying as hell when people say DC/WB should just do separate solo movies because only Fiege can do a shared universe. Just because Zack Snyder who never intended to do such a universe failed doesn't mean only Marvel can do it. DC already have it in their tv shows and animated movies, they just needed the right people on the movie side which I believe they have now and I'm perfectly fine with them retconing BvS and JL to oblivion and never even address the Batpat recasting. Have Batman cameo in SS or BoP to establish him as the new DCEU Batman.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
And this is why it's annoying as hell when people say DC/WB should just do separate solo movies because only Fiege can do a shared universe. Just because Zack Snyder who never intended to do such a universe failed doesn't mean only Marvel can do it. DC already have it in their tv shows and animated movies, they just needed the right people on the movie side which I believe they have now and I'm perfectly fine with them retconing BvS and JL to oblivion and never even address the Batpat recasting. Have Batman cameo in SS or BoP to establish him as the new DCEU Batman.
Hindsight and all, but I really wish WB would've come out and said as such when Zack was making his movies. If they had been honest and just said, "Zack is doing his own thing with these movies and we want to have a beginning/middle/end within an 8 year period" people would've been a bit more lenient and accepting of where it was going.

Changing course midway through BvS was their downfall.

Don't forget, Man of Steel was written in like 09/10 and didn't start shooting until Aug of 2011. This was before Avengers blew up and the industry saw just how big these movies could get. It feels like Zack's idea of what a shared universe was and WB's idea were pretty different. As time went on during production, WB probably had more notes about "connecting" things which Zack had to adhere to. Do we know the real slate of what his movies were going to be? MoS, BvS, JL, JL2 part 1 and 2? He had no intentions of making a Wonder Woman or other character movies, right? We kind of know MoS2 turned into BvS, but was there going to be another Superman movie between JL1 and 2?

When Reeves' Batman was announced, I was more for setting it in the past and letting it be it's own thing to avoid all the continuity BS, but now I'm with you and just want them to move forward with him in the current day so he can interact with the larger world they've established. They can easily made the Robin that was killed, Jason, and have the whole Bat family around. Though, with the reports saying this is set during his "formative" years, that doesn't bode well for it being in the current time line. It's not entirely out of the question for Reeves to do his trilogy over 6 years and then have R-Bats show up in the current timeline playing an older version. Or even make cameos during that time in the other movies just to show they're fully moving forward with him.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Hindsight and all, but I really wish WB would've come out and said as such when Zack was making his movies. If they had been honest and just said, "Zack is doing his own thing with these movies and we want to have a beginning/middle/end within an 8 year period" people would've been a bit more lenient and accepting of where it was going.

Changing course midway through BvS was their downfall.

Don't forget, Man of Steel was written in like 09/10 and didn't start shooting until Aug of 2011. This was before Avengers blew up and the industry saw just how big these movies could get. It feels like Zack's idea of what a shared universe was and WB's idea were pretty different. As time went on during production, WB probably had more notes about "connecting" things which Zack had to adhere to. Do we know the real slate of what his movies were going to be? MoS, BvS, JL, JL2 part 1 and 2? He had no intentions of making a Wonder Woman or other character movies, right? We kind of know MoS2 turned into BvS, but was there going to be another Superman movie between JL1 and 2?

When Reeves' Batman was announced, I was more for setting it in the past and letting it be it's own thing to avoid all the continuity BS, but now I'm with you and just want them to move forward with him in the current day so he can interact with the larger world they've established. They can easily made the Robin that was killed, Jason, and have the whole Bat family around. Though, with the reports saying this is set during his "formative" years, that doesn't bode well for it being in the current time line. It's not entirely out of the question for Reeves to do his trilogy over 6 years and then have R-Bats show up in the current timeline playing an older version. Or even make cameos during that time in the other movies just to show they're fully moving forward with him.

You make good points.

I think even if Reeves Batman is set 10 years before MoS it can still work. Batman will have his solo movies building him up and like you said he can cameo in the other movies to establish him as the Batman going forward. That's assuming Pattinson is actually on board to play Batman for many years to come.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Wonder what's going on with GLC. They really need to give Johns less jobs.

Glad there's movement on Supergirl. If they play their cards right, they could relaunch Superman and introduce a whole new series all at once.

It's time for another Black woman to play Catwoman. What's Gugu Mbatha-Raw doing?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Wonder what's going on with GLC. They really need to give Johns less jobs.

Glad there's movement on Supergirl. If they play their cards right, they could relaunch Superman and introduce a whole new series all at once.

It's time for another Black woman to play Catwoman. What's Gugu Mbatha-Raw doing?
Maybe they're waiting on SDCC to talk about what's coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.