• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks away? Seems like it's definitely tied to the NFC/AFC Championship games then. I believe they did something similar with BvS.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
That's not how it works in the real world. Clark Kent isn't Jesus Christ.

Among all the heroes in the DCU, except maybe Billy Batson, Superman is Jesus in the DCU. They could have toned that down for this, Superman in TAS is a very relatable and understandable interpretation. At absolute no point should Superman be getting upset to the degree he turns on his laser eyes. This action is considerably worse given in his first scene he's blissfully murdering a person like he's getting Lois McDonald's, which reinforces the worst case scenario appearance after what he did with MOS. Snyder was good with having him rescue Lex from Doomsday but that's too little, too late.

BvS situation, literally right after Lex tosses Lois off a building. Superman opens with saying he'll take Lex in without hurting him. Then Lex takes out photos of his mother gagged and threatening to kill her. Superman has an angry, emotional reaction... because he's still "human." Forreal, did people think he's tussle Lex's hair and call him a little rascal.

later, literally saving Lex from his own monster,

EBLGwNN.jpg

There's a spectrum between threatening to put someone on fire with your laser eyes and rustling his hair, Snyder never considered that option. He's not written as a man, either, he's given a godly tone to his actions as Superman.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Superman is Jesus in the DCU. Heh.

No wonder people threw a fit when Superman was portrayed as having flaws. BvS is Snyder's The Last Temptation Christ.

IconGrist

Oct 26, 2017
I always find it a little odd that Superman isn't allowed to get mad. It almost completely dismisses his humanity. Anger, rage, fury are all real emotions. Seemed perfectly in line with his character up to that point considering Martha is all he's got and Lois basically told him their relationship was possibly doomed and a few years ago he had to kill the last of his kind. Now some asshole kidnapped his mom? Yea, I can see why he'd be hot.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

No wonder people threw a fit when Superman was portrayed as having flaws. BvS is Snyder's The Last Temptation Christ.

I'm surprised folks are disagreeing. Snyder literally acknowledged this in Man of Steel a few times.

But as I've pointed out before, people rarely have an issue with a more emotional Superman, but you likely need to balance the more somber tone with something more lighthearted. That balance is key. Smallville ran for 10 years on teenage angst Clark Kent. Grant Morrison's Action Comics is well-loved, featuring a younger, more aggressive Superman.

But also still a man of the common folk.

Superman: American Alien has a more selfish Clark Kent, who is enjoying his powers on the way to becoming Superman.

So why do those takes work for many folks, and Snyder's did not? And it's not just "Superman mad".

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
At absolute no point should Superman be getting upset to the degree he turns on his laser eyes. This action is considerably worse given in his first scene he's blissfully murdering a person like he's getting Lois McDonald's, which reinforces the worst case scenario appearance after what he did with MOS.
Huh? Doesn't the movie explicitly state that Superman didn't kill that warlord guy or any of his goons? I thought that was the whole point of lex hiring people to lie about the Africa incident after lex's men killed/torched all the bodies.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm surprised folks are disagreeing. Snyder literally acknowledged this in Man of Steel a few times.

But as I've pointed out before, people rarely have an issue with a more emotional Superman, but you likely need to balance the more somber tone with something more lighthearted. That balance is key. Smallville ran for 10 years on teenage angst Clark Kent. Grant Morrison's Action Comics is well-loved, featuring a younger, more aggressive Superman.

But also still a man of the common folk.

Superman: American Alien has a more selfish Clark Kent, who is enjoying his powers on the way to becoming Superman.

So why do those takes work for many folks, and Snyder's did not? And it's not just "Superman mad".
Snyder's Superman worked for many people. Otherwise, MoS and BvS wouldn't have a fan base.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Huh? Doesn't the movie explicitly state that Superman didn't kill that warlord guy or any of his goons? I thought that was the whole point of lex hiring people to lie about the Africa incident after lex's men killed/torched all the bodies.

The dictator is never bought up again, so I assume he's dead. Lex plan never made any sense to begin with, it's not like the UN wasn't going to find the bullets.

Always has been, particularly in the live action movies. Snyder himself does this in various shots.

I agree Superman needed a more realistic depiction, but Snyder didn't deliver - he went in the compete opposite direction. Snyder's Superman having flaws isn't an issue, Superman is allowed not to be perfect. It was how he did things which Snyder did not see as flaws. Being a killer is not something Snyder thinks is a flaw for the character.

Snyder's Superman worked for many people. Otherwise, MoS and BvS wouldn't have a fan base.

This is true. However, it is also true he was a controversial figure in MOS, which went up to 11 with B vs S.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I guess you can say that. I still remain unconvinced seeing as how MoS was mostly well received when it came out and its reputation has only grown stronger over the years.

The Snyder take worked out swimmingly and the general audience loved it? So what is everyone whinging about then? Can't be a martyr for loving Snyder's take if everyone thought it was amazing!

Surely, this is why there's another Superman film on the near horizon.

Pick one. Either the general audiences loved that version of Superman, or they're all misguided for not getting what Synder was putting down. That's two different directions of thought.

Last edited:

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
Huh? Doesn't the movie explicitly state that Superman didn't kill that warlord guy or any of his goons?

Snyder cut the part where we see Superman breaking outside with a bloody warlord ragdoll in his hands, then throwing him kilometers away in the desert... but super speed + these 2 walls are enough to tell us that the guy is dead.

RJyQNiw.gif

The best part ? Superman almost smiles in this scene, just when he decides to go for the killing.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to be harsh, but you can't have a discussion if you can't agree on the foundations.

Using audience scores alone:

Man of Steel
RT: 75%, 3.9/5
IMDB: 7.1/10

Now, that's better than Suicide Squad or BvS, but below Aquaman and Wonder Woman. It's actually in line with Justice League, in terms of RT user score.

Justice League
RT: 73%, 3.9/5
IMDB: 6.5/10

This range is where some of Marvel's more controversial films land as well, like Thor: the Dark World or Iron Man 2. Audiences had issues with Superman in Man of Steel, but the blockbuster action, clean visual style, and starting narrative (audiences seem more forgiving with origin stories) meant they were willing to give Snyder leeway.

Problem is the sequel is Batman v Superman:

BvS
RT: 63%, 3.5/5
IMDB: 6.5/10

Yes, user scores have audiences disliking BvS more than or as much as Justice League. And Batman was seen as one of the better parts of the film. And look, that's fine. Audiences (and critics) weren't huge fans of Synder's Superman. You can look at the user scores, you can look at the box office drops if you want hard numbers. And hey, it happens. People disliked Bryan Singer's Superman even more and he thought he was just doing Reeves again.

In both cases, something about the take didn't work. My thing is always—put yourself aside for a moment—why didn't it work? Like, I didn't think Venom was a good film, but I can also see why it worked for the general audience. It's not because they're stupid; they paid money and wanted to be entertained. Hardy's performance is entertaining. To the tune of $855 million. Likewise, I like The Last Jedi, but I understand why it's a downer film for the holiday season when left with the general audience.

In terms of these superhero films, you're looking for something that can entertain and deliver whatever deeper themes are at play. That's the successful benchmark in the genre. Instead of being like, "Oh, they missed this line or that bit" ask yourself what about the composition lead to that feeling? Because as someone who reviews games for a living, generally what happens is folks don't like a thing, and then they go searching for the reason "why". They're unable to articulate it, so they go find the person that will explain their dissatisfaction in a way that makes the most sense, and then they'll go with that. doesn't mean that's necessarily the problem they had, but it's close enough.

IconGrist

Oct 26, 2017
What's the record on how many pages we've gone without discussing Snyder's mark on the DCEU? I dont feel like it is much.

Both sides of the argument lean heavily on confirmation bias. I'm guilty of it myself despite how reasonable I try to be. It's an endless debate where neither side will ever really come to terms. I'm at least a little thankful the discourse in this thread stays somewhat civil, ignoring the rare extremist on either side of the coin.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Snyder cut the part where we see Superman breaking outside with a bloody warlord ragdoll in his hands, then throwing him kilometers away in the desert... but super speed + these 2 walls are enough to tell us that the guy is dead.

RJyQNiw.gif

The best part ? Superman almost smiles in this scene, just when he decides to go for the killing.
In a comic book movie, a person never dies unless it's explicitly stated or shown that they do. You can't go by real world physics with stuff like that gif.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he could be leading with his fist while holding the guy close :)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he could be leading with his fist while holding the guy close :)
I had thought about that, but, realistically, one tiny rock from that collapse is all it would take to kill that guy going at that speed. But again, this is a comic book movie, not a documentary or historical fiction.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
In a comic book movie, a person never dies unless it's explicitly stated or shown that they do. You can't go by real world physics with stuff like that gif.
Yep. No body, no kill. Otherwise Cap murdered a ton of dudes in the beginning of Winter Soldier, because no one is surviving that shield to the face.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Whether he's dead or not, it should be clear Superman is smiling to Lois to tell her to relax. The gif leaves out Lois lowering her hands.

You know, one thing BvS absolutely got right is the idea of people projecting their own ideas onto Superman. One of the sillier posts from back on gaf claimed in shot of Superman hovering over a flooded area, one where you can't see his face, he's scowling and pissed off about having to save people. Dudes project their own cynicism onto these moments. Or vice versa. And to be fair, it can be argued it's for a lack of strong and explicit characterization. But it's still kinda funny to see some reads on some scenes. Like, dudes having deep empathy for the asshole in the bar groping the bartender.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
I have no problem with Cap punching his way through soldiers, sending them in the air, that's what he does and it's comicbookish.
I have no problem with Batman absolutely destroying goons in the warehouse, driving their faces through the ground and walls, that's what he does and it's comicbookish.
With the warlord, sorry, but Supes can manage the situation in a lot of different, non lethal, ways. Pushing puny humans full speed through walls, that's not what Superman does. I'm not a fan of Batman iron-branding bad guys either.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Not to touch on having empathy for the dictator who had a gun to a reporter's head... the poor fella.
Like, dudes having deep empathy for the asshole in the bar groping the bartender.
Yep. It's weird.

With the warlord, sorry, but Supes can manage the situation in a lot of different, non lethal, ways.
Superman's powers are lethal to humans. In the DCU, he's not as fast as Flash despite of what Whedon tried to characterize.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
He could palm the guy in the wall 2 meters away and stop at Lois side, no need to be Flash fast.
He chooses to crush him dirty, not even a clean laser eyes shot to the forehead.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Superman's powers are lethal to humans. In the DCU, he's not as fast as Flash despite of what Whedon tried to characterize.

In various media a common technique is lighting the gun his heat vision to make the villain drop it. He didn't have the experience to do that in MOS, he should have here. You're right, Superman's powers are lethal to humans which is why he's not supposed to deliberately use them to kill people. Being Superman he can train to wield them safely, or not lethally - like all super-heroes do. This was not an option for those movies since Snyder was not interesting in telling that sort of story with Superman.

Yep. No body, no kill. Otherwise Cap murdered a ton of dudes in the beginning of Winter Soldier, because no one is surviving that shield to the face.

Isn't common in live action renditions, this goes double with films that embrace the "realism" aspect. Cap is fine with killing people n the movies, and in the comics, too. This varies on the writer and the era, he was a traditional non-killer for decades post-WWII in the comics, until Brubaker. Cap isn't Daredevil or Spider-man, either. He will definitely kill when there is no other option.

Whether he's dead or not, it should be clear Superman is smiling to Lois to tell her to relax. The gif leaves out Lois lowering her hands.

You know, one thing BvS absolutely got right is the idea of people projecting their own ideas onto Superman. One of the sillier posts from back on gaf claimed in shot of Superman hovering over a flooded area, one where you can't see his face, he's scowling and pissed off about having to save people. Dudes project their own cynicism onto these moments. Or vice versa. And to be fair, it can be argued it's for a lack of strong and explicit characterization. But it's still kinda funny to see some reads on some scenes. Like, dudes having deep empathy for the asshole in the bar groping the bartender.

Which is another factor in how Superman is viewed, to people who dislike Snyder's Superman her reaction implies they've been doing this repeatedly. Not the saving her part, murdering criminals who hold her hostage.

While you're right that people do project their own thoughts on Superman, they aren't doing this in a vacuum - the context extends to both this Superman from MOS, and from depictions in all media and the comics themselves. Superman is not like this in any of them. Snyder's direction with those scenes is not what I'd call a welcoming super-hero, either. He's sullen and morose, like he's Batman in a mood, and that's not the only scene in the movies where this Superman is angry and lashing out or isolating himself, Superman can do all those things but Snyder's is defined by those activities. It never appears like he likes what he's doing. He never seems content to explain his opinions, except to Lois and his parents. One which was fine telling he needn't rescue drowning kids or that he owes humanity nothing to help them with his powers. We're supposed to take on faith he's exactly like traditional Superman when he's anything but, that was the point in this take on Superman. That he's not the one we grew up with.

https://screenrant.com/man-steel-interview-zack-snyder/

It's a more serious version of Superman. It's not like a heart attack. We took the mythology seriously. We take him as a character seriously. I believe the movie would appeal to anyone. I think that you're going to see a Superman you've never seen before. We approached it as though no other films had been made. He's the king-daddy. Honestly that's why I wanted to do it. I'm interested in Superman because he's the father of all superheroes. He's this amazing ambassador for all superheroes. What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology? What we've made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It's been an honor to work on. As a comic book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta Stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully."

Which he did accomplish.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You think Superman has time to fire his heat vision and make the gun hot enough before the guy can (accidentally) fire it? There are enough examples in movies without superheroes where people are used as a shield and held at gun point that it's too risky to go for a snipe. Lois means the world to him. You think he wants to risk that?

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
He starts the same way, and stops when he chestbumps the guy ? Maybe just slides his hand between the gun and Lois head ?
If he's able to reach the guy before he fires, as it is shown, then he just chose to pulverize him

Nov 13, 2017
I think we're closer to a female superhero team up movie than we are to the next Justice League.

Wonder Woman + Harley Quinn + Mera + Batgirl would be TOO good.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

RJyQNiw.gif

Movies don't work on real world rules. No body no death is a rule in most visual storytelling

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

He's saying it'll get rolled into the WB app. Sigh. This is what happens when you don't have a world wide release.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what ATT expected... you think Netflix makes money on all it's shows? It's the entire service that is supposed to be of value.

RJyQNiw.gif

If they wanted to explain this away, they could just show the dictator and assume Superman broke the wall with his fist or something or arms as he pushed him through.

People assume he's dead because it fits their narrative that Snyder doesn't get Superman and Superman is wreckless.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

He's saying it'll get rolled into the WB app. Sigh. This is what happens when you don't have a world wide release.

It was always going to roll into Warner media

And honestly 700k is more than I expected

But yeah it has so many handicaps

Only one country
Not on premium devices like consoles
Limited selection

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe needed to have Marvel Unlimited-level comic offerings, plus those shows.

But even then, that's too limited for premium content production. A full Warner Media app is where all that stuff should be. It was a nice shot, but a sub for streaming video feels like it needs to be network-based, but brand-based.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I want to sub and I can't even because it's not in my country. I have to get around it with VPN but I shouldn't have to.

And then there are those that pirate but don't pay because it's another service to subscribe to. Fuck pirates.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There's only 1 good show running at a time, all the other stuff is catalogue.

700k is way more than I expected honestly.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I got the art book for Aquaman yesterday, but it's kind of a disappointment. Like, none of those images posted above are in the book. They only show very final concept art from the characters which is what they ended up looking like in the movie. There's no costume studies in it at all, which is what I love about the Marvel books.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe needed to have Marvel Unlimited-level comic offerings, plus those shows.

But even then, that's too limited for premium content production. A full Warner Media app is where all that stuff should be. It was a nice shot, but a sub for streaming video feels like it needs to be network-based, but brand-based.

It's bad enough that every network want's their own streaming services (I really only think Disney and Netflix have the IPs to battle)... but WB really thought the DC license could carry one by itself?

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The Snyder take worked out swimmingly and the general audience loved it? So what is everyone whinging about then? Can't be a martyr for loving Snyder's take if everyone thought it was amazing!

Surely, this is why there's another Superman film on the near horizon.

Pick one. Either the general audiences loved that version of Superman, or they're all misguided for not getting what Synder was putting down. That's two different directions of thought.
MoS came out, made money, and then sequels got greenlit. The Blu-ray was a hit and BvS was in line to break all sorts of records. Is that not a sign of interest? Or are we going to pretend like MoS was always reviled?

But whatever. Like Icon said earlier, there's enough info out there to support either side. I don't really care if something as nebulous as the "general audience" is on my side or not. I don't like MoS and BvS cuz I'm a contrarian or anything.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Man of Steel was great and good starting point for a cinematic universe but than BvS shat the bed hard.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Batman v Superman is a great movie because of how people can interpret and project their own feelings onto how Superman acts...much like how that's the apparent case with the people in world of the film, questioning if he is or can always do the right thing.

There was a MOSIAC (Man of Steel Insight Answers Commentary) podcast I listen to and one of the episodes discussed the effects of Zero G and how Superman may have used that to safely incapacitate the warlord holding Lois at gunpoint. Basically, Superman went so fast the warlord went unconscious due to lack of oxygen, with Supes headbutting the walls to take the full brunt of the impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.